Gerard Butler GALS
zanyzombie

Have you seen Shattered?

Great movie.

SPOILERS here too

Neil really did seem like the perfect husband and father for about the first 20 minutes. As the stress of the situation gets to him, you begin to see cracks in his perfect facade, and in particular after Abby hands in the report to the competition and they fight. It's not so much the fact that she hints at his previous infidelity, but the way he violently grabs her afterwards that makes you stop and say "huh."

As a side note, I absolutely love it in that scene when Abby is freaking out going "No, you listen to me!", and Neil grabs her hands to keep her from hitting him. Something about the way he restrains her... sexy!

I obviously lost a lot of sympathy for him when I found out that he was cheating on Abby (again), and that the whole thing was his fault. However, the kicker, as some of you above agree, was when he persisted in lying about what was going on. I've been cheated on as well, and when I found out, it hurt me so much more to know that he had had so little respect for me that he didn't tell me after it happened. He said that he thought it wouldn't do any good and that it would just hurt me. Well, that wasn't his decision to make. I hate people making my decisions for me...

Anyway, although Neil obviously wasn't the kind of guy to do so, even after a second instance of infidelity, I think he could still have salvaged his marriage and his family if he had come clean to Abby. Admitting that you've done something wrong regardless of the negative affect that it has on you really speaks to your character, and how much you care about the other person. You care enough about them to let them make their own decision, even if that decision is to let you go.

Sorry I threw so much of my own stuff into that, but I guess we all do that on occasion here. ;)

Steph

I just caught this film last weekend. Very suspenseful and I loved the twists and turns that the couple is put through.

And, despite the caddish-ness (is that a word???) of Gerry's character, Neil, I still felt like he did love his daughter and his wife. He still had the lying-to-preserve-himself thing going on but his genuine panic and grief at thinking he'd lost them seemed like he'd turned a corner within himself.

And, Gerry was so physically powerful at various points...

I think Shattered is one of Gerry's best ........I don't like what Neil did - but I love the movie. Gerry was terrific in the role of Neil.

BlueJean

Did see Shattered and enjoyed the movie very much. Maria Bellows played the part of the wife well. In the end her husband,Neil, played by ,Gerry, may or may not have received his just reward. Depending on how one looked at the situation. I do feel the wife was a bit sneaky in the way she taught,Neil, a lesson. Then again the drama and suspense would not have been there.

Edited by planetwalkers