Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
becozy

5/16 - Darabont to direct $40m crime thriller for The Film Department

You're right, Donna. He's a big boy and can take care of himself. I just want to keep the good name of Gerry fans positive.

Man, I can't keep my mouth shut, can I? :lol: Probably why I have no friends.

Less than what 5 gals getting excited over Gerard Butler coming to Detroit is really very little cause for alarm. It's Detroit. I'd be more concerned about him getting carjacked than stalked!

Yeah, I've heard about that in Detroit. :lol: Hey, there you go!! That's how you can meet him! :lmao:

Carjacking - the new stalking ha ha :funnyup::pointy:

Some humour was needed Lisa well done :kiss:

Moira

Guest DonnaKat

Oh dear...Detroit and St. Louis get no respect, do they Pxie?

I'm in St. Louis, by the way...so I feel ya there. #1 and #2 in crime..we're constantly being told how dangerous we are (you beat us this year, though).

You're right, Donna. He's a big boy and can take care of himself. I just want to keep the good name of Gerry fans positive.

Man, I can't keep my mouth shut, can I? :lol: Probably why I have no friends.

Less than what 5 gals getting excited over Gerard Butler coming to Detroit is really very little cause for alarm. It's Detroit. I'd be more concerned about him getting carjacked than stalked!

Yeah, I've heard about that in Detroit. :lol: Hey, there you go!! That's how you can meet him! :lmao:

LMAO! Someone should suggest that he doesn't stop at red lights. That's the advice I received from friends that live in Ecorse (that grew up in Lincoln Park).

"Whatever you do, do NOT stop at red lights. Not even the police stop at red lights in some parts of town."

Actually, downtown Detroit never fully recovered from the riots. It's sad too. Because Motown (although very run down) is place full of very decent ppl. But they're very tough ppl. The city is experiencing times where the politicians in charge are worthless. And manufacturing is leaving the area, leaving ppl unemployed. I once met the brother-in-law of the high priestess of punk rock (Patti Smith) in Detroit. Fred "Sonic" Smith of the MC5 was her husband (RIP Sonic). It was a chance encounter. :)

Quite a fella! Very interesting to talk to.

If Gerry is reading! (hardy har har)...let me know if you'd like to meet at Cheli's after a Tigers game!!!!!

http://chelischilibar.com/

I'll ditch my hubby for the day!!!!

If the movie is about a criminal running business from his prison cell, I venture to guess that filming might be done at Jackson State Prison? And nobody in their right mind would want to be an extra on that kind of a set. :p

Guest DonnaKat

hmm, we had a crime this past year, just one but it was ours!

Did someone vandalize the Anne of Green Gables bookstore? :funnyface:

We had one murder in Inverkeithing last year. a boy stabbed his father and the police had set up the murder scene area and I know this is not funny but the next day the GMTV crew were in the area to award a £10000 cheque to somebody in the same area and how embarrassing was it to see all this on tv. Poor Keith Chegwin must have thought he was coming into a war zone.

Moira

Oh dear...Detroit and St. Louis get no respect, do they Pxie?

I'm in St. Louis, by the way...so I feel ya there. #1 and #2 in crime..we're constantly being told how dangerous we are (you beat us this year, though).

In the words of Aretha Franklin.....

All I'm askin' is for a little respect....

lol...

oh yeah! St. Louis! hahahaha! I hear ya.

The two most dangerous towns in the united states.... It's a hard reputation to live down I gotta say!

Although Flint runs a very close second to Detroit in the state. Can't say I'm planning on buying real estate in Flint. I'm considering transferring to Uof M Flint though. Please pray for me.

Maybe I should just keep my mouth (and fingers) shut and let people do what they want. I'm not his keeper, anyway. I've already explained why I said what I did, and I stand by Gerry's safety and privacy above all else.

I'll shut up . . .

My personal opinion is that you've been right on target. Talking about trying to figure out what hotel he might be at, whether in joking or not does cross that line, as far as I'm concerned.

Gerry has a history of being very generous with his time as far as fans are concerned. And we would all love to see that continue. But it should be appropriate times like premieres and other public events.

You have so missed the point completely.

Moira

No I didn't miss the point. I understood the point very well. I'm going to stay home. And not bother the man.

Pxie,

Please don't feel that way. I was very angry when I read some of these responses as well. I am over 40 and not some moron that doesn't understand that this man needs and wants his privacy. I am a huge fan of his and we here in Michigan just don't have the opportunity to see someone like his caliber ever come to our neck of the woods. The state of Michigan is going through some very poor economical times right now and this film is being shot here. There was a new tax law passed here 2-3 months ago offering tax breaks to production companies who would choose to shoot a movie here in our beautiful state. I will find the information some where on the internet to show you. We don't need to be preached to about how to act. We are adults and are just fans who finally have the opportunity to be close to a movie that Gerry is filming and would like to see how a movie is filmed.

I am sorry if this makes some of you angry, but I don't need to be told how to act, that's my mothers job. We are all members of GALS and enjoy this mans work all the same. I am here to see his work and see pictures of him and to enjoy the company of many of these women who are here. I feel like some of these posts were written without compassion for those of us that may have an opportunity to finally see Gerry in person.

We are not crazy stalkers and Pxie I would be glad to meet you in the Motor City for a weekend to go see filming. I could make a new wonderful friend and spend a weekend of fun during the hot summer month of August.

Dawn

My personal opinion is that you've been right on target. Talking about trying to figure out what hotel he might be at, whether in joking or not does cross that line, as far as I'm concerned.

Gerry has a history of being very generous with his time as far as fans are concerned. And we would all love to see that continue. But it should be appropriate times like premieres and other public events.

Thank you.

Dawn, no one was trying to tell anyone how to act. But when people post that they're going to find the hotel he's staying at, that IS cause for concern. I'm over 40 also, but there are a lot of new fans who may not know a lot of the stories about Gerry and the fans. He loves us, wants us around, but at the appropriate times and places.

By all means, go to the set if they allow fans there. Gerry IS generous with his time, and he will be very happy to sign anything and take pictures if you are lucky to get to the set! And please, share those with us!!!

Moira

No I didn't miss the point. I understood the point very well. I'm going to stay home. And not bother the man.

Pxie,

Please don't feel that way. I was very angry when I read some of these responses as well. I am over 40 and not some moron that doesn't understand that this man needs and wants his privacy. I am a huge fan of his and we here in Michigan just don't have the opportunity to see someone like his caliber ever come to our neck of the woods. The state of Michigan is going through some very poor economical times right now and this film is being shot here. There was a new tax law passed here 2-3 months ago offering tax breaks to production companies who would choose to shoot a movie here in our beautiful state. I will find the information some where on the internet to show you. We don't need to be preached to about how to act. We are adults and are just fans who finally have the opportunity to be close to a movie that Gerry is filming and would like to see how a movie is filmed.

I am sorry if this makes some of you angry, but I don't need to be told how to act, that's my mothers job. We are all members of GALS and enjoy this mans work all the same. I am here to see his work and see pictures of him and to enjoy the company of many of these women who are here. I feel like some of these posts were written without compassion for those of us that may have an opportunity to finally see Gerry in person.

We are not crazy stalkers and Pxie I would be glad to meet you in the Motor City for a weekend to go see filming. I could make a new wonderful friend and spend a weekend of fun during the hot summer month of August.

Dawn

People in Michigan are good people. :)

I moved here from So. California in 1997 and spent most of my life in the shadow of Hollywood. Never once did I set foot IN Hollywood though, if that tells you anything. :p

I've met plenty of celebrities in my 34 years. I went to school with child stars. So to me, Gerry is just an actor. He's not Jesus.

I also fully understand what is appropriate behavior.

I'm also familiar with fans that obsess over "protecting" a celebrity from other fans as well. Although I understand the warnings and I respect their opinions, I can't help but wonder if they would "knee jerk" react the same as us if Gerry was filming in their backyard. ;)

I'll check back in more close to August 18th. I'll be in Colorado helping my family take inventory on a new business this summer, but I expect to be back in Michigan before the end of July.

Even if a Gerry sighting is not in the universe's plans for us, we can say we might have breathed in the same air molecules as him for a day. ;)

I am not out to cause an argument and I certainly did not write it without compassion. I have been a Gerry fan for years and unfortunately he left UK to head to the US before he properly made his mark and like those fans in the sticks the majority of us fans will probably never get the chance to ever have an encounter with Gerry that so many had in the early days where he was more accessible. Whilst I have never met him in person I was at the Nim's Premiere as I was over for CUT and was lucky enough to see the amazing interaction he had with fans. He never got down as far as us unfortunately. I just personally feel there is a time and a place to have the appropriate interaction with him. I hope so many of you do happen to unexpectedly bump into him as that would be the best when you least expect it and it would mean more.

Moira

Even if a Gerry sighting is not in the universe's plans for us, we can say we might have breathed in the same air molecules as him for a day.

And trust me - it's hard to breathe when you do!!!

Even if a Gerry sighting is not in the universe's plans for us, we can say we might have breathed in the same air molecules as him for a day.

And trust me - it's hard to breathe when you do!!!

hehehe!

oh wow....I'd suffocate gladly!

From what I'm reading in here, no one is faulting anybody for being excited that Gerry will be filming in the Detroit area. I've never lived anywhere close to where he was filiming so I can only imagine the excitement.

I think where folks were getting nervous and that can be read as over-protective, is when specific names of hotels were being mentioned. I found it difficult to tell in those posts if anybody was kidding or not. If it was kidding, that's great but there was no way to read that in the posts. :confused:

Some films allow folks to view the sets while filming is taking place. And that's fine. But all anybody is saying is to be respectful that this is a place of work for everybody involved.

The emotions in here need to be dialed back just a bit so that we can continue to have a discussion. It's great to hear about yet another project of Gerry's. We all just want to be supportive of Gerry and respectful of each other.

:thankyou:

From what I'm reading in here, no one is faulting anybody for being excited that Gerry will be filming in the Detroit area. I've never lived anywhere close to where he was filiming so I can only imagine the excitement.

I think where folks were getting nervous and that can be read as over-protective, is when specific names of hotels were being mentioned. I found it difficult to tell in those posts if anybody was kidding or not. If it was kidding, that's great but there was no way to read that in the posts. :confused:

Some films allow folks to view the sets while filming is taking place. And that's fine. But all anybody is saying is to be respectful that this is a place of work for everybody involved.

The emotions in here need to be dialed back just a bit so that we can continue to have a discussion. It's great to hear about yet another project of Gerry's. We all just want to be supportive of Gerry and respectful of each other.

:thankyou:

I do agree that trying to locate someone's hotel is not appropriate.

I can't stand it when my neighbor (the shopping mall Santa Claus) peers through my front window before he knocks to ask to borrow a tool from my garage. So no worries! I'm sure us Michiganders will be respectful!

Just joking!!!! Sorry I did not indicate that in my posts. Being a Detroiter for 14 years and experiencing the harshness of that city it is hard not to try to think of where he might stay. The city itself is too rough and the people working on this film would have to stay in a suburb. I myself had a dear friend murdered while driving down the freeway outside of Detroit and know how hard the city is. One of the reasons I live on the other side of the state now. As I said in my earlier post I was sorry if my comments upset anyone, but IMHO some of them seemed quite harsh.

Here is a copy of the article that was posted in the Detroit News article about film production in the state of Michigan.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Want business tax relief? Make a film

How to survive state government's assault on companies -- and in style

State Rep. Chuck Moss

The Michigan Business Tax, the new and worse version of the Single Business Tax, is rocketing some tax bills as much as 800 percent. Every day I hear from businesses, from manufacturers to doctor groups, asking: "Know a good Realtor in North Carolina?"

No, actually the question is "What can I do about this tax?" The answer is not to get rid of the tax, even though it would be the best answer. The governor wanted the tax so badly that she shut down state government, so she is not going to let us dump it.

But I have a great idea how you can lower your tax burden. The state has just passed a new law offering lucrative tax incentives to filmmakers. The tax rebates are so good that 13 new film projects are already coming. The next best thing to keep your business afloat in Michigan is to become a filmmaker. Here's how:

Advertisement

• Get rid of your shirt and tie, buy a black T-shirt and wear it with your suit. If you've kept your sunglasses from the state's Cool Cities program, wear them, too. This won't lower your taxes, but it can't hurt.

• Buy a video camera. They're cheap, and you can get them anywhere.

• Get someone to video whatever your business is doing. Running a business is an art form, and you're making a movie of doing it. That's as 21st century as it gets.

• Your workplace is the "set." Your work force is the "cast." You are the "star." If anyone asks you how you're paying everyone, just say "Options, baby."

• Now, Lansing isn't totally dumb. You can't just make lots of videos. Most teenagers have their whole life stories on Youtube. Making a film implies having a concept. Sometimes it requires a plot. Generally it requires a script, but if the folks from Lansing ask, just say "It's in rewrite, baby."

• If you call your film a "documentary," you will be excused from any obligation to be accurate or even sane. So if the state accuses you of making it all up, your response is "So did Michael Moore!" Just don't blame me if they start sitting you next to former President Jimmy Carter at some event.

• The movie does require a title. Most titles these days have the word "blood" in them. Your movie can be "Holes of Blood" if you run a golf course. Try "Ticker of Blood" if you're a cardiologist or a stockbroker. "Blood from a Stone" covers just about everyone's tax situation. Or you can always use an anti-Iraq War title. Then you're OK when no one sees your film.

• After a couple of fiscal years, you say your "project" is "wrapped," burn the video to a CD, slap on the title and you've made a movie. That's how Quentin Tarantino got started. Then you can start completing your trilogy. This way, you'll keep getting the tax rebates and incentives for at least six years. Hey, tell Lansing you're a permanent studio. You can be "A-One Axle Casings Productions" or ""Neighborhood Insurance Agency and Laundromat Studios." Now you can make those tax goodies permanent.

So that's how to survive Lansing's assault on business, and do it in style. Don't fight 'em; give 'em what they want -- become a filmmaker.

Yeah, I know: If tax rebates are good enough for movies, why not give them to everyone? Then you'd have to cut government spending to balance the budget -- and a lot of folks in Lansing think that's scarier than a slasher flick, so don't hold your breath.

In the meantime, you may not restore Michigan's manufacturing glory, but you won't go bankrupt and you might just win an Oscar.

State Rep. Chuck Moss, R-Birmingham, is a member of the Michigan House Appropriations Committee. Fax comments to (313) 222-6417 or e-mail to letters@detnews.com.

I just want to add since we are all here because we are fans of Gerry we should also be respectful of each other! Now I'm an oldie here compared to the newbies so I kinda know from my own experience of getting over zealous once in a while that in our excitement we say things we don't really mean....like finding out where he lives or where he's staying.....one time I said I would go to NY and sit on his front porch if he had one...but then I realized NOBODY has a front porch in NYC! ;) but never did I mean it! I was joking and living in my fantasy for the moment. I think that this is probably the case here and no harm has been done. I have decided that before I meet my maker...I AM going to look in to GB's eyes someday! And not by stalking him ...but by a chance meeting! "I can't stop this feeling deep inside of me".............hey that sounds like a song! So now....Welcome to the newbies and please don't feel you are being scolded.......I'll bet soon down the line you will be repeating these same words to another new Butlerized fan yourself! :whiteflag:

:wave: Fran.....

Just joking!!!! Sorry I did not indicate that in my posts. Being a Detroiter for 14 years and experiencing the harshness of that city it is hard not to try to think of where he might stay. The city itself is too rough and the people working on this film would have to stay in a suburb. I myself had a dear friend murdered while driving down the freeway outside of Detroit and know how hard the city is. One of the reasons I live on the other side of the state now. As I said in my earlier post I was sorry if my comments upset anyone, but IMHO some of them seemed quite harsh.

Here is a copy of the article that was posted in the Detroit News article about film production in the state of Michigan.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Want business tax relief? Make a film

How to survive state government's assault on companies -- and in style

State Rep. Chuck Moss

The Michigan Business Tax, the new and worse version of the Single Business Tax, is rocketing some tax bills as much as 800 percent. Every day I hear from businesses, from manufacturers to doctor groups, asking: "Know a good Realtor in North Carolina?"

No, actually the question is "What can I do about this tax?" The answer is not to get rid of the tax, even though it would be the best answer. The governor wanted the tax so badly that she shut down state government, so she is not going to let us dump it.

But I have a great idea how you can lower your tax burden. The state has just passed a new law offering lucrative tax incentives to filmmakers. The tax rebates are so good that 13 new film projects are already coming. The next best thing to keep your business afloat in Michigan is to become a filmmaker. Here's how:

Advertisement

• Get rid of your shirt and tie, buy a black T-shirt and wear it with your suit. If you've kept your sunglasses from the state's Cool Cities program, wear them, too. This won't lower your taxes, but it can't hurt.

• Buy a video camera. They're cheap, and you can get them anywhere.

• Get someone to video whatever your business is doing. Running a business is an art form, and you're making a movie of doing it. That's as 21st century as it gets.

• Your workplace is the "set." Your work force is the "cast." You are the "star." If anyone asks you how you're paying everyone, just say "Options, baby."

• Now, Lansing isn't totally dumb. You can't just make lots of videos. Most teenagers have their whole life stories on Youtube. Making a film implies having a concept. Sometimes it requires a plot. Generally it requires a script, but if the folks from Lansing ask, just say "It's in rewrite, baby."

• If you call your film a "documentary," you will be excused from any obligation to be accurate or even sane. So if the state accuses you of making it all up, your response is "So did Michael Moore!" Just don't blame me if they start sitting you next to former President Jimmy Carter at some event.

• The movie does require a title. Most titles these days have the word "blood" in them. Your movie can be "Holes of Blood" if you run a golf course. Try "Ticker of Blood" if you're a cardiologist or a stockbroker. "Blood from a Stone" covers just about everyone's tax situation. Or you can always use an anti-Iraq War title. Then you're OK when no one sees your film.

• After a couple of fiscal years, you say your "project" is "wrapped," burn the video to a CD, slap on the title and you've made a movie. That's how Quentin Tarantino got started. Then you can start completing your trilogy. This way, you'll keep getting the tax rebates and incentives for at least six years. Hey, tell Lansing you're a permanent studio. You can be "A-One Axle Casings Productions" or ""Neighborhood Insurance Agency and Laundromat Studios." Now you can make those tax goodies permanent.

So that's how to survive Lansing's assault on business, and do it in style. Don't fight 'em; give 'em what they want -- become a filmmaker.

Yeah, I know: If tax rebates are good enough for movies, why not give them to everyone? Then you'd have to cut government spending to balance the budget -- and a lot of folks in Lansing think that's scarier than a slasher flick, so don't hold your breath.

In the meantime, you may not restore Michigan's manufacturing glory, but you won't go bankrupt and you might just win an Oscar.

State Rep. Chuck Moss, R-Birmingham, is a member of the Michigan House Appropriations Committee. Fax comments to (313) 222-6417 or e-mail to letters@detnews.com.

Gotta love Michigan!

But you gotta believe that we have some picturesque landscapes to film at!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somewhere_in_Time_(film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Hotel_%...kinac_Island%29

Edited by pxie

Guest Pilar

I just want to add since we are all here because we are fans of Gerry we should also be respectful of each other! Now I'm an oldie here compared to the newbies so I kinda know from my own experience of getting over zealous once in a while that in our excitement we say things we don't really mean....like finding out where he lives or where he's staying.....one time I said I would go to NY and sit on his front porch if he had one...but then I realized NOBODY has a front porch in NYC! ;) but never did I mean it! I was joking and living in my fantasy for the moment. I think that this is probably the case here and no harm has been done. I have decided that before I meet my maker...I AM going to look in to GB's eyes someday! And not by stalking him ...but by a chance meeting! "I can't stop this feeling deep inside of me".............hey that sounds like a song! So now....Welcome to the newbies and please don't feel you are being scolded.......I'll bet soon down the line you will be repeating these same words to another new Butlerized fan yourself! :whiteflag:

Well said, babe. As usual.

This is why we love you, Frannie! And also why I decided to come back and apologize - not for what I said but perhaps how it was said.

When I first became a Gerry fan, only a measly year ago, I was COMPLETELY frantic, especially living so close to LA. I said the same things, thought the same things (hell, I still think them), and even posted some really stupid things. I'm not saying your posts are stupid, mine were.

So, while sometimes we forget what it's like to be completely "new" (I still consider myself new on some level), we need to remember. It's like in my classroom. I have to remember what it's like to be a 12 year old and not get too upset with them for being 12 year olds.

For the Newbies - have a ball! He's so worth it!! I have never, EVER felt like this about another celebrity, and I never will again. Gerry is worth every ounce of blood, sweat and tears. He's a wonderful, wonderful GOOD man with a heart of gold. Not to mention the most beautifully designed man on the outside as well. Forgive us fans in the teenage years for being overzealous about his protection. You WILL be in this position one day yourselves.

Trust me - I've been smacked and spanked PLENTY by the maturer Gerry fans! You have now been initiated.

HUGS!!!!

Lisa

hmm, we had a crime this past year, just one but it was ours!

Did someone vandalize the Anne of Green Gables bookstore? :funnyface:

Yes! They stole the Anne doll and dyed her hair black.!

Guest whysosilent

Moira

Pxie,

Dawn

You weren't just talking about going to the set. You were talking about trying to find his hotel. You do need to be told how to act if you think that is appropriate behavior.