Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
becozy

5/16 - Darabont to direct $40m crime thriller for The Film Department

I know I'm catching the end of this thread w/o having read much of your earlier postings, but I just saw this on GB.Net - dated 5.16.08:

Category: Law Abiding Citizen News

Article Date: May 16, 2008 | Publication: CHUD | Author: Devin Faraci

Source: CHUD Posted by: DaisyMay

".........Also of interest: Gerard Butler's continued status as the Go To Guy for a certain budget of film. At 40 million, Law Abiding Citizen is pretty cheap, and that's a Butler level film; he's not a big enough star to open a movie but he's got just enough name and face recognition to bump a weekend a few bucks. It's not a bad career to have, but I do wonder if this is the career he wants. The fact that he does romantic films like PS I Love You tells me that he's trying to break into the legit leading man world, trying to be a Clooney or a Pitt. We'll see."

EXCUSE ME!! :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

"40M - that's a Butler level film"!!!!!

"Break into the legit leading man world"??

Who the eff does this guy think he is?

God, I'm sooooo damn hot over this....

I know I'm catching the end of this thread w/o having read much of your earlier postings, but I just saw this on GB.Net - dated 5.16.08:

Category: Law Abiding Citizen News

Article Date: May 16, 2008 | Publication: CHUD | Author: Devin Faraci

Source: CHUD Posted by: DaisyMay

".........Also of interest: Gerard Butler's continued status as the Go To Guy for a certain budget of film. At 40 million, Law Abiding Citizen is pretty cheap, and that's a Butler level film; he's not a big enough star to open a movie but he's got just enough name and face recognition to bump a weekend a few bucks. It's not a bad career to have, but I do wonder if this is the career he wants. The fact that he does romantic films like PS I Love You tells me that he's trying to break into the legit leading man world, trying to be a Clooney or a Pitt. We'll see."

EXCUSE ME!! :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

"40M - that's a Butler level film"!!!!!

"Break into the legit leading man world"??

Who the eff does this guy think he is?

God, I'm sooooo damn hot over this....

Couldn't agree more. IMO another example of someone trying to be "clever" and/or demeaning. Its a way for so-called critics to put celebrities in their place, especially up and comers like GB. Unfortunately, we can expect more of this in the future.

This is the crap that really makes me so angry! Gerry isn't trying to be anybody else but GERRY! This jerk off obviously knows nothing about Gerry. This moron hasn't seen Beowulf or Attila or, hey, I know 300!

I don't know why "critics" have to put someone down who is trying to make a career for themselves. Someone as talented as charismatic as Gerry doesn't deserve to be put down; he needs to be lifted up and recognized.

:grrr: I don't blame you, baby! I'm angry for you!

Edited by phoenixgirl

Regarding my post #126:

THIS is why he meditates, goes to India, reads positive books and probably says daily affirmations! If he/we believed everything that was written, how friggin' depressed would we all be?

That's why I keep cheering sistars on - someone has to take an interest and PROMOTE rather than demote!!

If Gerry's films only amount to $40M, LOOK HOW GREAT THEY ARE, not at the amount they cost or have pulled in at the box ofc. I could give a Rat's A** if he made a film for 3 cents - whatever he does comes out incredibly well done.

And how DARE THIS NERD make a "leading man" comment - HOW MANY OSCAR WINNING ACTRESSES HAS HE WORKED WITH NOW???

Guest whysosilent

Let's give Gerry some credit. His spirit isn't going to be crushed by the opinion of one blogger.

Let's give Gerry some credit. His spirit isn't going to be crushed by the opinion of one blogger.

No, it won't. And I don't think that's what she meant. But time after time we keep seeing these blogs or articles that just don't get him. Gerry may be a man who doesn't care what other people think, but he's still a man with feelings.

My hope is that this crap spurs him on and makes him say, "I'll show them!"

And he WILL. I have every confidence in the world that LAC will be a huge success for Gerry.

I totally agree and I believe that he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. He's a very talented actor that has offered great performances to the moviegoers. As long as he is happy doing what he does, and that he reaches the goals he has set for himself, then that's the only thing that counts.

I believe Gerry will reach all his goals eventually and that he'll also get the recognition that he deserves from the "industry". They'll realise what a talented and versatile actor he is, something we, his fans, have noticed already.

Keep up the good work, Gerry! You have all of us to support you in your efforts. :cheer2:

No, it won't. And I don't think that's what she meant. But time after time we keep seeing these blogs or articles that just don't get him. Gerry may be a man who doesn't care what other people think, but he's still a man with feelings.

My hope is that this crap spurs him on and makes him say, "I'll show them!"

And he WILL. I have every confidence in the world that LAC will be a huge success for Gerry.

Thanks Li - you always get it the way I mean it LOL

No, his spirit won't be crushed - never - he's too strong an individual for that. But I'm sure this kinda stuff does wear a person down after a time..... especially such annoying, low, cheap shot comments. And I think it WILL spur him on to bigger and better things - especially through Evil Twins. I can't wait to see how he uses this vehicle to make everyone sit up and take notice!

Love you Gerry - Always have; Always will

I believe Gerry will reach all his goals eventually and that he'll also get the recognition that he deserves from the "industry". They'll realise what a talented and versatile actor he is, something we, his fans, have noticed already.

Keep up the good work, Gerry! You have all of us to support you in your efforts. :cheer2:

EXACTAMUNDO!!!!

I'm not sure why there is such outrage toward this little blog. It actually sounds pretty accurate to me. He is kind of the go-to guy for the $40 million dollar picture. I don't think its a negative comment. Those are the films he is choosing to do. I have no idea, but I'll guess since 300 he's been offered bigger budget action roles, and has chosen not to take them.

I don't agree that Butler wants to be Clooney or Pitt. One of the unique things about Gerry is the variety of stuff he does....action, musical, romance, thriller, kiddie, period and modern. Neither Pitt or Clooney can claim to have done all that.

Guest Nay

Call me an optmist or call me a cynic but If $40 mill is spent producing a film and it makes a HUGE profit (as has his last three films at least), then that may prove to some of these numbnuts that he IS a go-to-guy.

He's a smart cookie in a stifling business. I'm sure he knows this and is disregarding much of this crapola.

Nay

PS. Some little instinct in me is saying the producing/acting will not be be his last career move.

Call me an optmist or call me a cynic but If $40 mill is spent producing a film and it makes a HUGE profit (as has his last three films at least), then that may prove to some of these numbnuts that he IS a go-to-guy.

He's a smart cookie in a stifling business. I'm sure he knows this and is disregarding much of this crapola.

Nay

PS. Some little instinct in me is saying the producing/acting will not be be his last career move.

EXACTLY! WELL PUT!

I don't agree that Butler wants to be Clooney or Pitt. One of the unique things about Gerry is the variety of stuff he does....action, musical, romance, thriller, kiddie, period and modern. Neither Pitt or Clooney can claim to have done all that.

That was part of my point. He is his own man, an actor's actor.

I guess there's such an outrage because some of us are really sensitive toward any type of negative criticism of Gerry. Can't fault us, just like we can't fault the fans that are not. Everyone is going to react to things differently, and some of us are just a bit more "passionate" about our responses. Wouldn't it be boring if we always responded the same way about everything?

I guess there's such an outrage because some of us are really sensitive toward any type of negative criticism of Gerry. Can't fault us, just like we can't fault the fans that are not. Everyone is going to react to things differently, and some of us are just a bit more "passionate" about our responses. Wouldn't it be boring if we always responded the same way about everything?[/b][/font][/color]

Well said, phoenixgirl. I totally see your point. And it's true, for me I just can't get upset about what some blogger says, though I have on occasion posted a rebuttal.

Sometimes these guys tell the truth though, and if it's not a glowing review everybody gets all worked up about it, without really considering.

Also, sometimes these things can get you to think....in this case, would we wish Butler to be like Clooney or Pitt? I sure don't. If Gerry is king of the 40 million dollar picture, whatever the heck that means, and is doing what he enjoys and making some decent movies, I'm good with that.

This blogger suggests Butler did romantic comedy because he wants to be like someone else. Yes, I'm sure Gerry wouldn't mind the kind of money and name-recognition those two have, but maybe he just doesn't want to be stuck in only the "action" label forever and ever.

Guest DonnaKat

You have to take these things with a grain of salt. Opinions are like belly buttons - everybody has one.

I heard an actor say one time that this business is harsh, and only the thick skinned survive. He also went on to say that he doesn't read the outside reviews and things about himself, because he knows himself and his own sensitivity enough to know that he'd get upset and start believing the things people say about him, to his detriment. Instead he chooses to focus his time and attention to his career and the craft, and not on his popularity in the "business". Now while this actor isn't a big Hollywood star (nor does he wish to be), nevertheless he's a very talented actor who has made a respectable name for himself, and is one smart cookie to boot. I personally have a lot of respect for him because he refuses to sell out for the sake of accolades, and maintains his integrity in a business that is so integrity-challenged.

To thine own self be true...all the rest is bull doody. If a person is happy with themselves and can go to sleep at night knowing they're being true to themselves and doing what they want to do, I'd say that's a good thing. Is it really that important that everyone else love us and lavish praise on us all the time? Flattery is cheap, but living and accomplishing a dream is worth more than winning any popularity contest or 'making the big time' (whatever that means).

Guest DonnaKat

Why thank you! :embarassed:

I think I'm waxing poetic today. Or waxing something.

Or maybe it's the allergies talking.

Edited by DonnaKat

You have to take these things with a grain of salt. Opinions are like belly buttons - everybody has one.

I heard an actor say one time that this business is harsh, and only the thick skinned survive. He also went on to say that he doesn't read the outside reviews and things about himself, because he knows himself and his own sensitivity enough to know that he'd get upset and start believing the things people say about him, to his detriment. Instead he chooses to focus his time and attention to his career and the craft, and not on his popularity in the "business". Now while this actor isn't a big Hollywood star (nor does he wish to be), nevertheless he's a very talented actor who has made a respectable name for himself, and is one smart cookie to boot. I personally have a lot of respect for him because he refuses to sell out for the sake of accolades, and maintains his integrity in a business that is so integrity-challenged.

To thine own self be true...all the rest is bull doody. If a person is happy with themselves and can go to sleep at night knowing they're being true to themselves and doing what they want to do, I'd say that's a good thing. Is it really that important that everyone else love us and lavish praise on us all the time? Flattery is cheap, but living and accomplishing a dream is worth more than winning any popularity contest or 'making the big time' (whatever that means).

DONNAKAT - I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE !!!

" TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE "

BECAUSE IN THE END THAT IS THE ONLY ONE YOU HAVE TO PLEASE

TO BE ABLE TO SLEEP AT NIGHT !!!

DLSPBS - PAT

Edited by DLSPBS

:cheer::cheer:

Bull doody I love it Donna Kat and I loved what you said. Gerry didn't go to Cannes its not his kind of place I don't think right now. He was riding a bike instead in Holly wood. Now its this new film. He never stops. boy he has got to rest sometimes he can come here To hattiesburg and be anonymous seems no one knows him when I ask if they do ;) anyway there are a few more that do though I have noticed Love Betts

SCUSE ME....but didn't a certain BLOCKBUSTER movie called 300 have a mere budget of 60 Mil?? :tantrum: I don't think Ger pays any attention to the riff raff anyway!

:wave: Fran

Gerry didn't go to Cannes its not his kind of place I don't think right now.

Well, this year it looks like he was too busy to go to Cannes, but otherwise, I think that it a very important event in the film "industry". He has already been there more times - two films he was in were shown there (Mrs. Brown and Dear Frankie), and this definitely brought him more recognition among filmmakers. I think there were some paparazzi pictures showing he was there last year. I think it is an important festival for people who are not interested "just" in box office sales, but also in really good films and filming, which he (especially now, as a producer) hopefully is.

:wave::wave::wave:

Edited by Donnie