Gerard Butler GALS

5/27 - 'Tales of the Black Freighter' Getting DVD Release

From: http://www.cinematical.com/2008/05/26/tale...ng-dvd-release/

Thank you hobbes! :thankyou:

'Tales of the Black Freighter' Getting DVD Release

Posted May 26th 2008 7:02PM

by Elisabeth Rappe

Watchmen was always going to be a big deal -- but it actually just got bigger. I was among the fans just counting themselves lucky to get the Black Freighter (and to see Gerard Butler involved in it after all), and it looks just about everything from the graphic novel will make it on screen after all, in one way or another.

The New York Times reported today that in an effort to revive their flagging DVD sales, Warner Bros will be releasing a DVD on 03/10/09 (that's five days after Watchmen hits theatres) that will include Tales of the Black Freighter, and Under the Hood. The latter is, of course, Hollis Mason's tell-all about his life as the Nite Owl.

At some point in the future, Warner Bros plans to release an "ultimate edition" of the film that will splice Tales and Hood in, which means you will have one heck of a marathon. Says Zack Snyder himself, "The überfans of this property are going to go crazy for that."

Snyder was eager to participate in Warners direct-to-DVD plan because it was the only way he could feasibly film everything. "I thought the Black Freighter story would never see the light of day," Snyder says. "The main picture is nearing three hours long and I know I have a fight on my hands just with that." The director's original plan was to tell the Black Freighter story in the film, 300 style, but the studio balked at the $20 million budget.

It's a win-win situation for everyone at this point. And because Warners knows, deep down, the majority of non-fans will not be lured into a theatre upon merely seeing a tie-in DVD on a store shelf, they are also planning a series of "Webisodes." Each webisode of The Watchmen Motion Comic will run about twenty minutes, and be a panel-by-panel slideshow of the graphic novel, narrated by an actor. This is a pretty sad commentary on modern literacy, isn't it? These too will appear on DVD at some point, for those still unwilling to crack open a book.

I continue to be impressed with the fight Snyder has put up for this movie -- and that Warner Bros is realizing that it is a property worth the deluxe treatment. Even if they are only seeing the financial angle, they appreciate that it is a graphic novel loaded with potential. That's almost good enough for me.

Got it first thing this morning and also from a friend. This is awesome...we won't have to wait anymore for the DVD to come out. Sounds like a good marketing plan...can't wait!

:yay::wuv:

HOW DO I GET GOOGLE ALERTS??????!!!!!! PLEASE PM ME.

Sandy

I'm really am excited about this. I just wish it wasn't still almost a year away.

But I'm excited to see/hear how Gerry did as a voice over for an anime. My sons are really into them (the Japanese ones - which are weird), so it will be truly fantastic to hear Gerry do a voice over for something my boys might actually enjoy.

And to just HEAR him. OY. Shadow Company wasn't the same . . . didn't enjoy that, but this I think will be wonderful for Gerry to experience as well as us!

Lisa

Read this last night in my google alerts.

I am primed! :bellydance:

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

Hey I'd like to know how to get set up with the Google alerts too! Drop me a PM!

Edited by hotlips70

Read this last night in my google alerts.

I am primed! :bellydance:

Hey I'd like to know how to get set up with the Google alerts too! Drop me a PM!

hotlips70,

It is very easy, so I will post it here just in case anyone else would like the information.

Go to following website: http://www.google.com/alerts

Enter the required information.

Confirm the e-mail they send you and hey... you are all set! :pointy:

If you have any problems, let me know.

Here's more:

click here

The New York Times have been informed that the animated Tales of the Black Freighter segment from the upcoming Zack Snyder directed Watchmen will indeed be going straight to DVD but we won’t actually have to wait the usual 3-4 months to see it.

The DVD will be hitting stores just FIVE DAYS after the theatrical release of the film in March next year.

Well, we won't have to wait for long after the movie is in theatres for the dvd.....

Hey Shirshan

I already told you how to set up google alerts last week in that Oneness post " Now we know what gerry was doing in India" Post 40 dated 21 May. Did you not see it?.

Moira

Edited by framolamdu