Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
GerrysJewel

Phantom Sequel Picked Up Again

I don't see this posted anywhere but in case I missed it, forgive the double post. I'm posting this in Rumors....why, I don't know. Mods, feel free to move it if you see fit, lol.

I realize that once upon a time, Webber did announce he wanted to do a Phantom sequel, however was encouraged not to do it. Perhaps Andrew can't let this go as this article was written and posted today. So maybe down the road we will see....(better to read the article).

Phantom Sequel

Phantom of the Opera sequel

Andrew Lloyd Webber has revealed that he's going to be working on a new musical, not a great surprise since he turns these things out to great success like hotcakes...whatever they are.

However the musical he's announced is a sequel, and why am I talking about this? Well, because it's a sequel to a successful film which helped fill the varied career rise of a certain Mr Gerard Butler. So could we see another film down the line?

I'm not so sure that Gerard Butler would want to revisit his role as his career has now turned more to the action and hero genre, and he's doing that superbly well and still managing to pick some superb and very different films without being typecast and pidgeon-holed.

However I think it's a safe bet that Andrew Lloyd Webber is thinking of the possibilities of a sequel to this ever successful musical. One is that he has a massive audience out there who love the original, another is that he could run the casting for the West End show as a BBC television series, and the last is that this has successfully made it to the big screen and brought in more exposure and profit.

From the BBC Webber himself says:

"I have got my own new show coming on next year, which is my sequel to the Phantom of the Opera, which I think is going to be called Phantom: Once Upon Another Time...But that will come on in November next year, probably, if everything goes well."

He cements the idea that if they are to continue the BBC series then he needs a show behind it, otherwise it just won't work.

"I also have to remember that it's no good thinking of these shows in isolation...There has to be a show at the end of it. We are different to other shows because there is a real prize of a real job in the West End...

...If we haven't got a show - we don't have a television show."

So it's not a crazy idea to think of a sequel to The Phantom of the Opera musical and to imagine that once it's had a successful run, or perhaps even before, that Hollywood might eye it for a film sequel.

What do you think? Would fans of the original film, and of Butler in the role, want to see a sequel, and would you want Butler to return or for the role to be recast?

Written by Richard Brunton on May 31, 2008

What do you think? Would fans of the original film, and of Butler in the role, want to see a sequel, and would you want Butler to return or for the role to be recast?

I just want to throw in :2cents: I'm not sure if a sequel will go over, but that's not my business. Other people get paid big bucks to figure that out. If there will be a sequel, I only want to see Gerard Butler continue the role as I don't think anyone else could. I am biased, I know, but Gerry's Phantom is how I discovered Gerry in the first place. I love Gerry's Erik. If anyone else dared try to step in his shoes, I would be sorely upset and will not see the sequel. Sorry, I am a little defensive of Gerry's Erik. But it is just a matter of not wanting to see anyone else portray our Erik other than Gerry. I realize I am preaching to the choir, lol, I just can't explain it. Gerry is the Phantom to me. No one else can make me fall in love with Erik like he did.

What do you think? Would fans of the original film, and of Butler in the role, want to see a sequel, and would you want Butler to return or for the role to be recast?[/size]

Well, we cannot give an answer for GB, of course (I hope that if they offered him the role he would accept it), but I would just LOVE to see him as the Phantom. I am sure that (if there is a film version of the sequel) it would work wonderfully with the original cast. They would all be a little bit older (it might take some time from now to make the sequel), but so would be their characters, I suppose. Well, now we can just be longing to see it, nothing is really definitelly set, but I am sure it would be a wonderful film and I will be looking forward to it very much!

:wave::wave::wave:

Edited by Donnie

I'm from the arts / theatre world in the UK. It's been a well-known secret for a while that Andrew Lloyd Webber has been working on the sequel for a while though its has mainly been thought of as being a theatre musical. One of the people who has been approached for it a few months back, is the Welsh X Factor runner up, Rhydian.

Yes it is getting staged from next November and not as a film as some seem to think or so ALW said on Jonathan Ross last night. I remember after X factor Rhydian was supposed to have been appraoched after his amazing version of Phantom of The Opera. He is not the most attractive of men so the mask would be ideal ha ha :funnyup:

Moira

Not sure that Gerry being in the stage production is the best choice for him. Don't think he has a stage voice.

If they eventually turn the sequel into a film... I hope Gerry is there!!!

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

What do you think? Would fans of the original film, and of Butler in the role, want to see a sequel, and would you want Butler to return or for the role to be recast?[/size]

Well, we cannot give an answer for GB, of course (I hope that if they offered him the role he would accept it), but I would just LOVE to see him as the Phantom. I am sure that (if there is a film version of the sequel) it would work wonderfully with the original cast. They would all be a little bit older (it might take some time from now to make the sequel), but so would be their characters, I suppose. Well, now we can just be longing to see it, nothing is really definitelly set, but I am sure it would be a wonderful film and I will be looking forward to it very much!

:wave::wave::wave: