Gerard Butler GALS

A Perspective

Dear Gerry,

I am all packed and getting excited for the GALS 3rd annual Fan Convention in Las Vegas! I can hardly believe it's been 3 years since the first one, where I had the greatest pleasure of meeting you, and where you made a whole group of your fans feel very special and loved.

Career wise, so much has happened to you in the past 3 years, and I imagine it has been a real whirlwind as you learn to take the bad with the good where your life in the film industry is concerned.

I've noticed lately, that with changes in your career, and with what some fans perceive as changes in you.... the membership on this site and others is changing as well. When certain expectations are not met, some folks just move on away from fandom, and some become interested in other actors.... but each day it seems that new fans discover you, so even though fans are leaving, your fanbase continues to grow with each new role you take on.

I have to say, that although I do not spend nearly the amount of of time I used to posting and hanging out on this board, after over 3 years of being a fan, you are still important to me. I still pray for you, and I am still sitting back in the wings and applauding you and loving you with each success as you build the career of your choice. I will still be here pulling for you and hoping for more success.... even should you hit rough spots along the way.

And Gerry.... I think many of your fans feel the same.

For me it is so much more than just your talent and looks. For me it simply that I care for you... the person. It has always been important to me, that you know how special your fans are, and how they hold you in such high regard. Sure fans come and go... and mostly, we are just a collective face to you. We as individuals simply blend all together as a group, and you will never know us as the awesome individuals most of us are. I feel very blessed that through the conventions and the community GALS provides, I HAVE come to know many of your fans as individuals, and I feel certain that given the chance, you would enjoy knowing them too.

What great stories are represented on this site. What great people who have so much to offer and who give so much to their families and loved ones. When measured against the few weirdos and fans who step out of line.... the people I know as your fans are cool and funny and thoughtful and talented and wonderful.... and WE are the majority!

I am so glad you still seem to appreciate your fans, and that our support really does mean something to you.

Thank you for that.

I feel so privileged that in 2006, just for a moment our paths crossed, and after all this time I'm still convinced that you are deserving of every good and great thing that comes your way!

Many blessings as I head out to the GALS fan convention 2008!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Well said!!!! With having people like you around Swannie, makes me proud to be apart of GALS!!!!

Jeanette

As always Swannie is the voice that speaks what's in all of our hearts...Gerry I'll simply say I am a devoted fan and will continue to support your wonderful career!

What a wonderful letter to Gerry! You always say what is in my heart as well. I enjoy many other actors but none have changed me like Gerard Butler. He is a very special person to this earth. I hope he knows who his genuine fans really are. I really only care about the person not just the acting part. I think if I ever got a chance to talk to Gerry, I would ask him about his beloved Scotland for that is where his heart lies.

I really do think Gerry knows who the fans are, verses those who just want to make a show and hang around him.

Remember when he did the first conference call for 300, he said that he would always remember those of us who have been fans before 300? I think he realized that the fans who discovered him before he was truly famous, would still support him even if he had never been cast as Leonidas. I think it's absolutely wonderful that many of Gerry fans discovered him even before POTO, and loved him in the early roles that brought him very little notice.

This in no way means he does not appreciate ALL his fans; those who knew of him before 300, and those who discovered him after, but I think he realized that with the huge numbers exposed to him through 300... many of those folks were temporary fans, and would be off to follow other talented actors as soon as 300 faded from the media.

I don't think that just anyone who sees him out and about and recognizes him, and wants his attention is necessarily a fan, but that is just my opinion and others might disagree.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

SOME FANS COME AND GO -

IMHO THE TRUE FANS ARE THE ONES

WHO TAKE THE TIME TO SEE

DIRECTLY INTO YOUR SOUL !!!

WISHING YOU MUCH MORE SUCESS !!!

WITH EVIL TWINS !!!

THE LEGACY OF ROBERT BURNS

IS THE DESTINY OF GERARD BUTLER !!!

DLSPBS - LADY PAT :rose:

Oh Swannie,

You've managed to say so eloquently what is in so many of our hearts! Well done, Swannie! I wasn't in Vegas in 06, but I was in Glasgow that same year and witnessed the genorousity and love of not only Gerry, but his family as well. It was truly a magical evening as was Vegas in 06. I'm so thankful to be around in the beginning before "300" and I plan to be a permanent fixture!

Hugs,

~ Donna Lee

Edited by Donna Lee

I'm confused. I thought I made it clear in my post, and with this statement that I am not defining fans "types" based on what movie brought them to him:

This in no way means he does not appreciate ALL his fans ; those who knew of him before 300, and those who discovered him after, but I think he realized that with the huge numbers exposed to him through 300... many of those folks were temporary fans, and would be off to follow other talented actors as soon as 300 faded from the media.

If I gave that impression, then it must be my poor writing.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

I'm confused. I thought I made it clear in my post, and with this statement that I am not defining fans "types" based on what movie brought them to him:

This in no way means he does not appreciate ALL his fans ; those who knew of him before 300, and those who discovered him after, but I think he realized that with the huge numbers exposed to him through 300... many of those folks were temporary fans, and would be off to follow other talented actors as soon as 300 faded from the media.

Swannie

IMHO I THINK IT IS THE DEPTH ONE SEES IN A HUMAN PERSONA !!!

ONE KNOWING THAT THE HUMAN CONDITION

IS MORE THAN SKIN DEEP !!!

MEANING YOU CANT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER -

ITS ONLY WHEN YOU START TO READ THE STORY

DOES ONE UNDERSTAND !!!

DLSPBS - PAT :rose:

Edited by DLSPBS

Swannie

Swannie - I just didn't want someone that did, in fact, discover him in 300 or after to somehow misinterpret that to mean that they are fans of a more temporary nature and therefore on a different scale. Just clarifying that for anyone that may read this.

:hugs: to all. :kisswink:

Well said Swannie. I know I have been a fan of Gerry's for years but did not get in deep til 300 and part of me is glad it was not til then because it must be so hard for the "long term" fans to know they will probably never have with Gerry what they had back then again - at least we can't miss what we never had!!!!!!!!!. :unsure: He is like a drug the more you see him the more you want him :yummy:

I know I was at last year's GB.Net Convention in Glasgow(my first fan thing) and heard various people say how dissapointed they were in the lack of involvement Gerry gave considering the year before his family was there, he gave a video for attendees eyes only that I am not aware was ever shown anywhere else and put money behind the bar. Don't know if people felt the same at last year's GALS Convention - I am sure there are some who turned up hoping he would do a re-appearance ala 2006. I think we all know unless we want to deceive ourselves is that those days of Gerry's full involvement are long gone. The fact he did any of that for both the first conventions of GB.Net and GALS is a testement to the kind of man Gerry is - he did not ask for these conventions to be held but thought enough about his fans to make sure the first ones went off with a bang.

Part of me is jealous as hell at the interaction Gerry used to share with his fans in the early days and maybe it is better to have had than not had at all but his PAs are getting less and less and even at premieres he does not seem to get the time to interact with fans the way he used to. Whilst I am delighted for his success and know he has strived so hard to achieve this level of fame - for the fans it does have its drawbacks.

I know this has gone a little off kilter from the original post but I do know what you mean Swannie. I am sure there have been many fans who just jumped on the 300 bandwaggon and had a bit of Gerry fever for a few months but are no longer around. Likewise I am sure there were those around in the early days who dissapeared for a while but have re-surfaced as he dragged them back in :funnyup:

Moira

He is like a drug the more you see him the more you want him :yummy:

Moira

He definitely snapped me out of a rut a long time ago! I'll take the Gerry pill anytime and make sure the bottle is marked for refills! :pointy:

~ Donna Lee

:pointy: :pointy:

I came to know him through 300...before then I think the only movie I saw him in was Reign of Fire...I was a working mom of 3 and had very little time when off work to divulge in movies and what was going on in the world of Hollywood. I left my job last year in June to stay at home with my children which left me with more time to enjoy watching movies. I had seen the previews for 300 but was afraid to watch it...I didn't know if it was a movie I would get into...my hubby decided to watch it one night so I sat down with him and joined in. I was blown away...he made such an impact with his performance...that night I had trouble sleeping and was having anxiety as well. I NEVER...EVER experienced that before just from watching a movie...I knew then this man was special...bringing something different to the screen, to me no other actor has ever done.

I joined this site and others but made this one my home...I have discovered many things about him through the GALS here and have enjoyed being able to share my affection for him with all of you. I have no intention of bailing out on him nor do I think of ANY other actor the way I do him...my devotion is completely to him. I know fans come and go but I won't be one of them. Since 300 I have bought many of his movies...I have the majority of them and I watch them over and over...each time noticing something different about him from before. I believe he is something rarely seen in Hollywood....a master without realizing that is what he is. So to him, much is due and I will be here with all of you old and new Gerryites to see him get it!

Swannie...I didn't take what you said in a bad way..I imagine there are alot of fly by nighters...I wish I could've caught Gerryitis sooner but now that I have I'm gonna be here a long time. Hugs!

:funnyface: :funnyface: :funnyface: :funnyface:

I wish all you lucky gals who are going to Vegas the best. Have a little fun for me while your there. Bring us back great stories. Gerry really brags on his fans and I believe his fan base grows daily. Thank you, Swannie for your eloquently put post. I am a new Gerry fan though I saw POTO in 2005 (loved it wasn't affected by it) and Mrs. Brown before that. Upon rewatching the Phantom in 2007 I was deeply affected by the Phantom's pain and that is when I started watching POTO videos on You Tube. Saw cross references with Gerard Butler so started talking to Gerry and Phantom fans and the rest is history. I don't go to movies, have very limited cable so I thank goodness for You Tube.

Love,

Tracy :kisswink:

I imagine there are alot of fly by nighters...I wish I could've caught Gerryitis sooner but now that I have I'm gonna be here a long time. Hugs!

:funnyface: :funnyface: :funnyface: :funnyface:

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup: Me too I would loved to been infected with this since Mrs. Brown. Edited by JustCallMeTracy