Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

Phoenix Rising Song

Hi everyone,

As soon as Dayna told us all about the Phoenix Rising award this weekend, I was immediately inspired with the words and melody to a brand new song. Actually, the whole evening made me think of my friend Gwen who is going through a horrendous divorce from an abusive marriage and will likely be living with us for some time until she can get her feet on the ground. As soon as I got home I wrote down the words and will make a scratch recording of the words and melody when I get my voice back (which is now almost gone!)

I thought I would share the words with you, but keep in mind that they are still evolving as the melody develops.

Phoenix Rising

6/16/08

Dedicated to GALS; to my dear friend Gwendolyn Iona Cook and to all women who overcome.

Buried beneath the ashes, just struggling to survive

Waiting to breathe again, waiting to come alive

Overshadowed by someone I used to be

But that isn’t me.... no, that isn’t me

Somehow my hopes drifted away like ashes on the wind

All I need is a chance to hope and live again

chorus:

You can hold me down but you can’t stop me from flying

Clip my wings but I’ll never stop trying

Lock me in a cage and I’ll break down every door

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes.... watch me soar!

I am destined for better things and I’ve only just begun

I’ve come out of darkness and I’m reaching for the sun

Today is mine to become all I was meant to be

Look at me now, this is the real me....yes this is the real me!

Watch all my dreams blazing fire in the sky

All I need is a wing and a prayer and I’ll learn how to fly!

bridge:

Shackles are broken...Chains loose their hold

I'm not too young...and never too old

I see the vision, freedom in sight

See me dance....see me strong... see me take flight!

chorus:

You can hold me down but you can’t stop me from flying

Clip my wings but I’ll never stop trying

Like a phoenix rising from the the ashes.... watch me soar!

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes.... watch me soar!

Edited by Swansong

Oh :wow2: !

Those lyrics are really powerful and inspiring! AMAZING Job, the chorus...literally I don't know really what to type becuase it does not sum up the power of those words!

Thanks Jenny, I get so excited when this sort of inspiration just hits me like that! I was actually working on the lyric on the plane back from Vegas!

This will be sung as more of a pop/rock ballad, and not in the classical style of Chanson de L'ange. This is the first song I've written since I wrote that one in 2005! Amazing how Gerry and his GALS continue to inspire!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Swannie,

That was absolutely incredible. The First Phoenix Rising Award that was given was truly i

nspiring and now you have truly made it even more. I look forward to hearing it one day.

Beautiful.

Sherrell/Bermos

Thanks so much Sherrell (BTW, it was nice to finally meet you. Your Gerry encounter story touched me so much when I first became a fan, and it is your story and others like it that made me love him as a person, and not just a pretty face).

Back to the song: I can already hear it in my head.... but Nathan is NOT gonna be happy with me..LOL! He has quite a few projects going, but I know he can create the perfect arrangement for this song.

I'm kind of nervous about sharing it with my friend Gwen. I'm not sure she's in a good place to hear this right now. BTW, for those of you who would like to know more about her situation, I posted a prayer thread for her here:

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/ind...showtopic=17074

Edited by Swansong

Swannie, SURE! Give me one more reason to cry when I hear you sing. Fantastic job. The weekend was a spiritual inspiration for all of us. Love You!

Had to reread the prayerthread before answering, left a post there as well.

You truly amaze me! The lyrics are so powerful and heartfelt. I think you will be pleasantly surprised showing the song to your friend, - it will empower her! And your son I'm sure will be delighted having the chance to give this the surroundings it deserves. I'm not that good with this foreign language but let me assure you that the lyrics are now engraved in my very soul, - so many should be given the gift of hearing this song!

Warm hugs from Eva Mari :wuv:

Swannie, would you sing that song in our musical at next year's convention?

Hi Helena,

Well the truth is, I haven't even actually SUNG the song yet! I have no voice, so I haven't even gotten the melody down! Plus, you just never know what Dayna might have planned for next year's event... so I guess we will all have to wait and see. They don't even start making announcements about next year's date for the convention until September.

But thanks for the thought!

Swannie

beatifully written, :wuv: and i agree with EM you may be quite surpirsed with sharing that with gwen....it may give her the confidence she needs ... :wave:

Thanks nance,

I am thinking about sharing the song with her. This song represents where I would like to see her someday soon... but she isn't there yet.

Swannie

Beautiful, Swannie, already bringing tears to my eyes and I haven't even heard you sing it.

Bravo!!

It's perfect Swannie. After hearing you sing on your son's site, I think I'd cry for sure if I heard you singing this song. It's really beautiful and inspiring.

If you put the right composition( *WINK*) that's where the great Nathan comes in....to that song it's sure to be a hit! I hope if you do get to sing it at the convention next year and that I'm there to hear it... Beautiful Swannie..just beautiful!

:wave: Frannie

Just want to clarify... although I was inspired to write this song AT the convention.... it is really more about my friend than anything else.

I know Nathan will come up with exactly the right arrangement for me to sing with, and then I intend to record the song for Gwen.

BTW, this is not the first song I have written for, or about her. Ten years ago I wrote another one for her called Wild Roads.

Swannie

It's beautiful Swannie.I hope I get to hear you sing it.I heard you sing on your website and it was beautiful!

Posted Image Peggy

OMG Swannie! What a beautiful song! I can't wait to hear it. Nathan...please put what you can on the back burner! Mom NEEDS this arrangement!

:wuv:

Nathan just completed the orchestration for an unusual arrangement of the Star Spangled Banner. This was a project he did for the young up and coming fiddle player, David Klinkenberg. He'll have a little time to arrange my song if I can just get my voice back enough to finish writing the melody!

Thanks for your encouragement, ladies. I am never happier than when inspired to create, and I just love how inspiration and good vibes flow through this site!

Swannie

Unfortunately I was not able to get this song ready for this year's convention...but Nathan and I are going to work on the melody and accompaniment in a few months, after his Disney projects are finished. Reading through all the posts about The Shade Tree, I was struck that even though I wrote this song for a dear friend who was made homeless by spousal abuse, the words to the song fit so well with what Shade Tree is doing, and with what GALS is all about.

I can't wait to get started on it!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

I look forward to hearing the finished product you and Nathan create, Swannie. The words certainly speak to our purpose in helping The Shade Tree and I bet it would be inspiring to the women who find sanctuary there.

THAT was beautiful !!!! Bravo I can't wait for the finished product!!! Kudos!!!! I love it!!!

I've just informed Nathan that we are doing this song BEFORE he starts another project. Nathan and I have not worked together on music since 2006, so I am really looking forward to his input!

Go Nathan!

Swannie