Gerard Butler GALS

6/29 - Gerard Butler could return to 300 role as producers plan new movies

becozy

from: http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/newsfeed/...78057-20624997/

Gerard Butler could return to 300 role as producers plan new movies

Jun 29 2008

SCOTS hunk Gerard Butler could return to his sword and sandals after producers said they were looking to make a prequel and a sequel to Spartan epic 300.

The star enjoyed a hit with the film about the ancient Greeks' exploits alongside Lena Headey.

Now producers Mark Canton, Gianni Nunnari and Bernie Goldmann say they want to make two more. The first film's director Zack Snyder confirmed the plans and said comic book guru Frank Miller is working on a new story for the film.

Meanwhile, Butler took time off from his hectic schedule last week to visit mum Margaret Coll in Comrie, Perthshire.

She said: "He likes to unwind when he comes home."

I am so glad he spent some time with his Mum and that he takes time to relax when he can.

Knowing what a hard training schedule he had maintain in order to prepare for 300, I pray that he will talk it over with his physician and and give that aspect of it sincere consideration before he commits to that again.....I love his movies, but his health matters much more!

Nevertheless, I will be behind him whatever he chooses.

Judy

To tell the truth, I am not very enthusiastic about the idea of the prequel either. It would be extremely physically demanding (as Leonidas would have to be younger in the prequel), and I prefer him acting, not only fighting. Also, I think they should not have been so specific as to where his mother lives and what is her name (although at least one British tabloid has already done it). I think he should have a place where nobody can find him. Hopefully, he can enjoy his family and relax now with nobody annoying him. :pointy::pointy::pointy:

Edited by Donnie

I'm so happy about Gerry being home . . . I can't say it enough.

I'm with you, Zany. I don't want to see this done, either. Why does Hollywood have to take a perfectly good movie and wreck it with a prequel or sequel. Just because it worked with Star Wars does NOT mean it will work with another movie. Good Lord . . . why?

Well, if they are serious I also hope Gerry passes on it. I'm sure they'll offer it to him first, but really, how much more could his body take? That leads to questioning other things . . . and I just don't want to think about Gerry doing something stupid just for a movie.

Do they really need the money that badly? Didn't 300 make them all a boatload of cash?

Sorry . . . I'm ranting . . .

Lisa

Lisa, how does the saying go? You can't be too rich or too thin. (Like I'll ever know about either! :lol: )Hollywood types seem to like beating cash cows to death.

Most of these articles seem like rumors or hopeful musings that Gerry would reprise the role. I have mixed feelings about it, but hey it's his career, not mine. I'll watch any movie he makes and support him as much as I can.

What I'm wondering about is what source material Frank Miller is going to use? I don't recall anything in the histories about Leonidas except the battle of Thermopylae. Maybe it won't be about Leo at all, who knows?

Sequel? Erm, they do realize he died in 300,right? Maybe he comes in dream sequence versions.

As for the idea, I don't hate it. I think he could pull it off but usually those types of movies suck unless they were written in sections from the beginning.

ETA: If I'm not mistaken, Comrie is out of the way a bit. I do hope it's rather inconvenient for any unwelcome visitors to get to. It's pretty lame for the press to out his mother in such a way.

Edited by celticwhisper2002

Well, here's what I can tell you . . . there is nothing more known about Leonidas before the Battle of Thermopolae. And 300 was so historically inaccurate that I don't see how they could make another film about the war between the Greeks and the Persians without further butchering history.

I LOVE 300 - don't get me wrong. I adore it. But I picked it apart. :lol: As an ancient history person, it's hard for me to watch movies like 300 and Gladiator (even Attila-which was actually more accurate than 300) without comparing it to factual history (at least what we're told - cause you know that history is written by the winners).

I can't see how they're going to do this, but I don't have Frank Miller's imagination . . .

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

ETA: If I'm not mistaken, Comrie is out of the way a bit. I do hope it's rather inconvenient for any unwelcome visitors to get to. It's pretty lame for the press to out his mother in such a way.

It's already been out where she lives. He said it on Leno (I think- one of the interview shows). Gerry outed his mom! :lol:

It is just a rumour but I am with the sceptical girls. Sometimes producers just launch creepy sequels or prequels just to make money taking advantage of how good the original film was. I do not know whether Snyder, Miller or Butler himself are in a strong negotiating position to defend a good movie against greedy producers who found the goose that lays the golden eggs and want to cash it asap. Those three do not seem the type that gives in withouth a fight but who knows?. I only hope Gerry doesn't get involved in some mediocre project just tempted for the indecent amount of money they offer him.

I don't think Gerry will do anymore 300 movies. I believe I read somewhere (can't remember where) that he does not intend to do anything more with 300. He put down the idea of doing a sequel. I hope he enjoys spending time with his mom. If a man doesn't treat his own mother right, that's almost a sure indication that he won't treat a future wife right. However, from things I've read, Gerry is good to his mom, and I hope he remains that way.

I pray because of his health he won't go this again. Yes he needs to talk to a dr. first. and He needs recogintion that he didn't get the first time. and usually sequels or such don't do as good. He deserved more then he got for 300 the first time. I doubt it will do any better for him the 2nd time. Raina Snow

I would love to see more !

I can't imagine how or what they would do to make the sequel stand out on it's own but I absolutely loved the way that that film was done.

And I know there was a lot of talk about the accuracy of the film but for me movies are entertainment and I didn't go into it thinking it was an accurate portrayal of the events. I knew it wouldn't be from the first time it was shown in previews. But, I loved it! One of the most unique films I've seen in years.

And I hope you are taking some time to just relax Gerry. Away from L.A. and all the b/s that goes with it.

It's already been out where she lives. He said it on Leno (I think- one of the interview shows). Gerry outed his mom! :lol:

Printing his mother's full name and where she lived struck me as a little odd too. Eventhough Gerry has said the town before, it stuck me as a little inappropriate. But, she gave a quote, so maybe she gave her consent, I don't knw....

Oh well. I suppose it's public knowledge if he mentioned it on Leno so it's fair game. I just rarely see that sort of thing in an article so it struck me as sort of inappropriate. My bad.

That said, she does live in Scotland and the press is notorious there...lol. They probably knew where she lived before she even got a chance to notify the mail service. I'm sure it wasn't hard to find out.

I hope he enjoys spending time with his mom. If a man doesn't treat his own mother right, that's almost a sure indication that he won't treat a future wife right. However, from things I've read, Gerry is good to his mom, and I hope he remains that way.

In an interview in Berlin Gerry was asked, "Who is the most important person in your life?" Gerry answered, "My Mum!" The interviewer said, "That's sweet." Gerry said, "She's my mum!"

If what you say is true than some girl will be a lucky girl as Gerry's wife.

Kathy

Just a quick reminder:

Though this article gives Gerry's mum's name and city she resides, PLEASE remember that G's mum is off limits in terms of contact as per Gerry and his family's request.

:thankyou: for your consideration to G and his family on this matter.

:hugs:

Dayna

Am I hearing this correctly?!? A prequel and a sequel?!? Talk about flogging a dead horse...or soldier in this case! :2cents:

I concur. Also due to the fact his character was offed in 300....I suggest if they need someone to play a corpse in the sequel perhaps they can poll some of the lighter weights in Hollywood....cause after having witnessed some of their acting....they'd be perfect for the part of a corpse!

Typical unoriginal Hollywood. They have gotten so lazy! We don't need a pre-quel. New material for Gerry works for me. 300 is about action, not acting. Gerry did a PHENOMENAL job with the limited dialogue, but the movie was no Braveheart or even Gladiator for that matter.

I can't see him wanting to put that costume on again.

I think part of Hollywood's problem is they're running out of original stories to tell. They've all been told!

Actually, there ARE stories in history that haven't been told, but I don't think too many people out there want those types of movies. The crap that's out there that is making money astounds me. I swear if that Chihuahua movie rakes in bucks, I'll lose all respect for the mentality of this country. THAT can get made but BURNS can't? That makes absolutely no sense to me. People are willing to put money into regurgitating the same old stories over and over, or put money into moronic, mind-numbing movies, but something with a bit of class Gerry can't get made. :confused: Hollywood has really gone down hill, hasn't it?

I apologize if I've offended anyone who is looking forward to that dog movie.

Guest greyeyegoddess

I agree Lisa. It's been my rant about Hollywood for some time. There are so many new and interesting ideas, and all producers want is to cash in on old ideas. Doesn't always work.

I'd love to see the rest of the story of the war, but I don't fancy seeing a prequel, let alone with Gerry in it. I don't care for prequels, although Batman got away with it.

~alice

:music: