Gerard Butler GALS

Recasting the LEADING MAN

AngelRoarke

Hi All,

I would absolutely love to see Gerry recreate the Tony Curtis role in 'Some Like it Hot'. IMO he would be hilarious in drag and also as the Cary Grant like alter ego that was part of that role.

YES!!! Now THAT'S the kind of comedy remake I mean! Pairrrfect, Robyn!

OMB he would be so damned funny in that.

Lisa

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can also really see Gerry as the jungle hero type. Perhaps in a remake of the old Gable/Harlow classic 'Red Dust' (later remade as 'Mogambo' with Gable and Ava Gardner). The original had sparks flying between the two main leads but there was also a lot of humour and pathos. I am trying to think of a match for GB among today's female stars that could even compare with Harlow or Gardner, perhaps Salma Hayek? (after seeing her steamy performance in 'Lonely Hearts'). It would need to be someone really sensual but with a great wise-cracking personality.

I would also love to see Gerry take on the Charlton Heston role in 'The Naked Jungle' (with GB naked of course LOL) perhaps co-starring with Charleze Theron? (I have this vision of them walking the red carpet together as a sort of modern day Gable and Lombard, they are both so beautiful and IMO would look perfect together. I also loved Gerry and Lena together. 'The Naked Jungle' was a terrific movie with loads of restrained romance and sexual tension between Chuck and his mail order bride, plus scary thrills with the oncoming marching threat of the man-eating ants.

The other movie I had in mind was Ryder Haggard's 'King Solomon's Mines' or 'She' but these have been done to death so maybe not. Weren't they great old stories? I reckon they could revamp them for to-day's audiences and they would still be great and a lot better than some of the fare that is being dished up for current moviegoers. IMO we need a modern day ultra manly adventure hero like Gable was, who would appeal to both men and women, and I think Gerry could more than fill his shoes.

What about a remake of The African Queen (Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn)? That was and still is a great movie. :)

Or a classic Cary Grant movie, An affair to remember... I'd love to see a remake of that one. :)

Ok, is it just me or would anyone else love to see Gerry in a role that focuses on his hmm... how do I put this?

I wouldn't mind seeing him taking Mickey Rourke's role in 9 1/2 weeks. ;)

:funnyup:

You got me laughing as I was trying to swallow some coke. LOL I need to change now! :lol:

Oh... I totally agree! :drool1:

What about a remake of The African Queen (Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn)? That was and still is a great movie. :)

Or a classic Cary Grant movie, An affair to remember... I'd love to see a remake of that one. :)

Ohhh OPhhh- I was absolutly thinking that-

Also some of the Alfred Hitchcock suspenses- Like North by Northwest, Vertigo or rear window...

Ok, is it just me or would anyone else love to see Gerry in a role that focuses on his hmm... how do I put this?

IslandGirl-No, It isn't just you. That would be too incredibly HOT for words. :cloud9:

Chrissy

A role I would like to see Gerry do is something I don't think has been made into a movie yet, but I can imagine him a certain part. It's a book called the Guardian by Nicholas Sparks. The physical description of one of the characters brings Gerry to my mind, though he would probably have to drop his Scottish accent (oh the sacrifices our leading man must make sometimes). The particular role that I would love to see Gerry do is that of the can be described as insane but at the same time intelligent man in the classic love triangle. I guess I have POTO on my mind, but I love it when Gerry plays the insane guy. He could defintely make that role interesting and thrilling, hence the whole movie would be interesting and thrilling.

I absolutely see him doing "The African Queen", "An affair to remember", "Braveheart", "Gladiator" and "Gone with the wind". Great choices!

What about the Burt Lancaster role in "From here to eternity"?... my legs are getting weak just thinking of the beach scene :heat:

I also thought Gerry would make a perfect Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) in "Apocalypse Now"... I couldn't stop thinking this when I last watched the film some weeks ago.

I would love to see Gerry doing a remake (another one) of "The Postman always rings twice"... superhot! :drool1:

And he would have been great as Mel Gibson in "What women want". Another nice comedy would be a remake of "Lover come back" the Doris Day and Rock Hudson film, Gerry would nail the role

Okay, unless you are an old movie buff like I am, probably no one will no what the heck I am talking about but it is an old Cary Grant movie "Penny Serenade" from 1941. The movie has so much that Gerry could work wonders with. My mother was and is a huge movie buff and CG was a favorite. On Saturday mornings, while we cleaned house etc...Turner Broadcasting Network would show these old B&W movies and this one became a favorite.

From Wikipedia a synopsis:

Roger (Cary Grant) and Julie Adams (Irene Dunne) suffer a tragedy when she miscarries in an earthquake. They are told that she cannot have children. They adopt a girl, but must struggle to make ends meet and to retain their parental rights when Roger loses his job. When the little girl dies suddenly, the emotional strain threatens to destroy their marriage. The songs that mark episodes in the action are from records from their collection. The title refers to a song of the same name. At the end, they are offered the opportunity of adopting a little boy, miraculously saving their marriage.

Now, granted this is not the 1940's and I would rather see a more modern version of this movie. He could still be a reporter (I think that is Roger's occupation) and maybe cover the war or something overseas. They could still deal with the problems of losing a child that they want badly and facing infertility. They could still struggle to adopt and retain their parental rights when Roger loses his job. Then you have the death of that child and I must say - Cary Grant is wonderful in this part of the movie but I know in my heart of hearts that Gerry could do it even better because of his range of emotions as an actor.

I don't know about keeping it called "Penny Serenade" but the story is really heartfelt and the supporting characters bring the comic relief. I am not sure who I would cast to be his wife because she has to be the type of actress that is believable as a beauty but also as a woman wanting a child so badly and then mixing with his character in the scenes that tear your heart out. The ending of this movie is a little sappy for the lack of a better word but we know that Gerry can do this type of movie after PSILY if it is well written and well directed. I can see his Gerry juice a flowing in this type of setting and I know it would draw the women in but it could also draw the men in too if they work all the angles this movie has to offer. :)

Edited by galpal2008

What about a remake of Highlander????

I would love to see Gerry in the Christopher Lambert role, kilted in one scene, trenchcoat in the next. There is no denying that Gerry's pure Scottish purr would be 1000% better than Mr Lambert's sad attempt.

I'd like to see Ewan MacGregor as the Spanish swordsman, the role that suited Sean Connery. Don't know who's play the Kurgan???? any ideas about bad guys???

Edited by wolfie

Okay, unless you are an old movie buff like I am, probably no one will no what the heck I am talking about but it is an old Cary Grant movie "Penny Serenade" from 1941. The movie has so much that Gerry could work wonders with. My mother was and is a huge movie buff and CG was a favorite. On Saturday mornings, while we cleaned house etc...Turner Broadcasting Network would show these old B&W movies and this one became a favorite.

OMG- galpal

That movie is one of my all time favorite movies- when i was a little girl I used to watch it with my mother...

One of my most cherished memories.

He would be incredible in that role.

Thank you for bringing back that memory!!!

Edited by gindolin

I love to see him do something like A Star is born.....the version with Babs and Kris....A pure passionate and dramatic love story!!! Oh and I wouldn't mind a remake of The Highlander either but I'm still fixated on The Outlander .....Jamie Fraser!

:wave: Frannie

I'm gonna let my geek side show on my answer for this one and cast him as Han Solo or Young Obi Wan Kenobi. :drool1: :drool1:

My ABS plastic stormtrooper gear gets hot just thinking about him wielding a lightsaber or a blaster......:thud:

"cuse me...I think I'd better get down below with these thoughts before the Official Spanker comes after me. :flee:

Guest Pilar

Iliessa...G dressed entirely in black leather wouldn't be bad, either!

I think a remake of "Red Dust" would be cool. The original had Jean Harlow and Clark Gable. Playful and sexy.

Also I could see him in "Love with the Proper Stranger." Steve McQueen and Natalie Wood teamed in the original.

I would LUUUUUV to see him as Mortimer Brewster in Arsenic and Old Lace.

Can you imagine that with a supporting cast like

Russell Crowe as Jonathan Brewster

Judy Dench as Aunt Abby

Scarlett Johansson as Elaine.............

OH or him in a remake of It's a Wonderful Life!!!!

That would be GREAT!!

PammieK

Pammie, you're brilliant! I love Arsenic and Old Lace!

I would love to see him remake 'Ladyhawke'! Gerry as Navarre (Rutger Hauer played him). The black outfit and cape, astride that big steed, with that huge...sword! He would be able to show such tenderness, and also get his angry, revenge side going! :drool1::pant:Posted Image

Issy

Edited by Isabeau

OMG- galpal

That movie is one of my all time favorite movies- when i was a little girl I used to watch it with my mother...

One of my most cherished memories.

He would be incredible in that role.

Thank you for bringing back that memory!!!

You are very welcome. I too have fond memories of that movie with my mom and stepsister. I could see him playing Roger and doing all the scenes so tenderly when it was needed and then the comedic part. I think the side kicks name was Apple Jack or something. I don't know who I would cast as him but I can see GB trying to hold a baby and bathing it and looking scared. That scene was so adorable to me and GB can definetely hold his own compared to Cary Grant. It really has all the elements of being a good movie even in today's world.

Any Cary Grant movie! I think Gerry is debonair but also funny. It would be something new for him. Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind remake! Gerry is just so versatile that he could play anything!

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see Gerry as Edward Rochester in Jane Eyre.

Oh yes! absolutely!!! :drool1: One of my favorite books. I've seen a couple of different versions (actors) in the last year or so, and every time I wish it was Gerry. I think he would be brilliant!! :bow: :bow:

:drool1:Another one of his movies that I can see Gerry do is "White Orchid" :yummy: But I even went so far as to write a letter to Joel Schumacher about another movie remake I thought would be great for Gerry. (Never got a response though) It was one of a soldier during WWII that ends up behind enemy lines who is wounded and found by a Gypsy woman. She dresses him up in her dead husbands clothes and helps him get across the border. The title was "Golden Earing's" and I still get shivers thinking of the song of the same title for the movie...Ray Miland was the lead back then. My favorite part is where she has to pierce his ear for the "earing" and tells him "once you wear these golden earings...love will come to you!" I could just picture Gerry in that role and the image I get is of his Attila character.. :attila:

I agree with many of you. I would really like to see him play Burns. As far as recasting, it'd be interesting to see him play Henry VIII in the Tudors. Ray Winstone did a great job, but I think Gerry could really bring that machismo that Henry VIII had.

What about Prince Henry from 'Ever After?' And as much as I heart Jason Statham, he could totally have played Handsome Rob in the Italian Job. Oh, what about Charlie Croker?