Gerard Butler GALS

6/29 - New '300' rallies troops-Legendary to develop follow-up

from: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111798828...d=2429&cs=1

New '300' rallies troops

Legendary to develop follow-up to Miller pic

By DIANE GARRETT

Legendary Pictures has confirmed it is developing a "300" follow-up for Warner Bros. that Frank Miller is writing and Zack Snyder is intended to direct.

Miller is writing the graphic novel the project will be based upon, although at this point it's not clear whether it will be a prequel or spinoff. Most of the characters, including Gerard Butler's King Leonidas, died in the original, making a follow-up tricky.

Snyder won't officially commit until after he sees Miller's take, but he's definitely interested, and the prospect of his involvement already has fanboys in a tizzy.

Legendary, which also co-financed and produced Snyder's "Watchmen" for Warners, considers the project a major priority.

"The vision of Frank Miller's universe that Zack Snyder brought to the screen in '300' is unlike anything ever seen before," said Legendary topper Thomas Tull. "We want to be certain that the story originates with Frank and be as compelling as the first."

Another "300" has been rumored from the start, but last week Snyder and the original producing team stoked a frenzy online when they talked about it at the Saturn Awards.

It won't necessarily be easy for the team to repeat their success, however.

Spinoffs of bloody actioners can prove challenging, especially when the main characters kick the bucket the first time out. Warners would surely like to cash in on "I Am Legend" again, but would have to find a way to deal with the fact that star Will Smith's character died at the end. Producers tried to figure out how to revisit "Gladiator," but they too were hampered by the fact that the star character, played by Russell Crowe, expired in the original. A second "Wanted" could also prove tricky for Universal given the violent deaths of so many characters.

A sequel to "Sex and the City," by contrast, is theoretically easier to conjure on a creative level, although Warners and New Line could run into talent problems similar to the ones that delayed the original bigscreen adaptation.

The "300" follow-up is one of several sword-and-sandals projects brewing.

Legendary is also developing "Clash of the Titans" for Warners, having recently signed "The Incredible Hulk" director Louis Leterrier as helmer, and Relativity is fast-tacking "War of Gods" (Daily Variety, June 27). Snyder and Miller both have busy slates. Besides "Watchmen," Snyder is working on an adaptation of "Guardians of Ga'Hoole," a children's book series. Miller's first solo helming effort, "The Spirit," is expected later this year; he's also aboard for sequels to "Sin City."

oh wow, thank you for the update. I do wonder how they are going to go about it considering the King died in the end of 300...I guess time will tell.

Guest greyeyegoddess

There's a whole other story to the war, and I'd love to see it, if Zack takes the helm.

Probably won't see it umteenth times...unless they make the guys work out again. :drool1: Who knows who will be the next star from there? I'm looking forward to it, if it does come to fruition.

~alice

:music:

There's a whole other story to the war, and I'd love to see it, if Zack takes the helm.

~alice

Yes, there is - the true story of the battle!!! :tantrum: And there's not much history of what happened before or after the Battle of Thermopolae! Ooh, don't get me started! Please don't take that the wrong way. I LOVE 300 - it's how I allowed myself to succumb to Gerry. It holds a special place in my heart . . . as a movie. It's not a documentary, though, which it wasn't supposed to be.

Did they also say they're re-doing Clash of the Titans??? Okay, the original is soo cheesy, but such a classic! OMB!! Harry Hamlin at his finest! :lol:

I said this in the other thread . . . I'm quickly losing respect not only for Hollywood but the minds of our nation. There are very few sequeled (is that a word?) movies that are a success: Star Wars; Lethal Weapon; Harry Potter; Die Hard (only the third one); Pirates of the Carribean (although neither 2 nor 3 were as good as the first one) - just to name a few (LOTR doesn't count . . . it's all one movie, which technically so was POTC, but doesn't even come close to the caliber of LOTR).

There is so much history in the world's past to be told! I don't understand this need for sequel after sequel. It shows nothing but laziness and a lack of creativity if you ask me. That's why I'm sooo glad that Gerry said he doesn't think he would ever do a sequel (and I hope he sticks to that). If Gerry ever did choose to do a sequel, my guess is that it would be worth it!

But the crap that's out there being made today astounds me. The American Pie movies, which do have some funny moments, and the Scary Movie films are some examples of movies that have no "value to society" (and please forgive me if I have offended anyone who truly enjoys those movies. Please know that this is just my opinion!) What's this world coming to when all we want to see are tits and arse and sex and violence (useless violence). Whatever happened to just telling a good story??? I think we forgot how to do that.

Am I wrong? Am I being too hard on Hollywood and the world? I don't think so. I'm not a snob. And I'm by no means an expert in films, but COME ON! When was the last time Steven Speilberg even made a great film? Schindler's List, maybe?

Now there ARE some great films still being made, although most are remakes. I Am Legend was great, but again, a remake. 3:10 to Yuma, awesome, but a remake. I know there are more, but it's 4:30 am.

I guess I have a lot to say at 4:00 AM, but I'm getting so sick of the crap being made. Movies used to be about telling a story, not shock value or making animals do stupid things. You want to know what I put on when I want to laugh? Seriously? Father of the Bride 1 and 2. Now THERE'S a re-make AND a sequel that worked! How about them apples?! :lmao: Ooh, Good Will Hunting - great movie.

I also miss Disney making some great kids' movies. Gone are the days of The Jungle Book (and how many horrible remakes of that did they try?), Dumbo, The Lion King and the Little Mermaid. Sad. I'm sure there are more Hans Christian Anderson stories that can be done! No one's made a truly awesome Gulliver's Travels or the Borrowers or so many other wonderful books that were written. Thank God someone got smart and started making the Narnia Chronicles! And Harry Potter! Awesome! Anything to get kids reading again!!

Anyway, there are heroic stories about ordinary people who do extraordinary things to be told. There are thousands of years of history yet to be told. There are stories locked inside the minds of brilliant screenwriters and novelists to be told. I want to see THOSE movies being made. Not the schlock that's coming out lately. Oy vey, that damned Chihuahua movie . . . I don't get it. I really don't. And Burns can't get made? WTF? :wall:

Oh, I saw The Happening. Very good. Better than The Village but not as good as Signs or the Sixth Sense. Now THOSE are awesome movies! I love movies that make you think! Hollywood forgets that we have A BRAIN!!

Damn, I ranted, huh? I'm going back to bed now. :flee:

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

If they do a sequel they can still have GB star in flashbacks to the present through his son and Gorgo. If they do a prequel than he can be the lead, but my take is GB will not do it either way. He is too much into removing himself from same like projects and has worked too hard to be known as a diverse actor. JMHO!

New '300' rallies troops

By DIANE GARRETT

Legendary Pictures has confirmed it is developing a "300" follow-up for Warner Bros. that Frank Miller is writing and Zack Snyder is intended to direct.

Miller is writing the graphic novel the project will be based upon, although at this point it's not clear whether it will be a prequel or spinoff. Most of the characters, including Gerard Butler's King Leonidas, died in the original, making a follow-up tricky.

Snyder won't officially commit until after he sees Miller's take, but he's definitely interested, and the prospect of his involvement already has fanboys in a tizzy.

Legendary, which also co-financed and produced Snyder's "Watchmen" for Warners, considers the project a major priority.

"The vision of Frank Miller's universe that Zack Snyder brought to the screen in '300' is unlike anything ever seen before," said Legendary topper Thomas Tull. "We want to be certain that the story originates with Frank and be as compelling as the first."

Another "300" has been rumored from the start, but last week Snyder and the original producing team stoked a frenzy online when they talked about it at the Saturn Awards.

There's a better chance of The Happening happening than this happening.

Kathy there

SlimChance here

GreenEyedGirl over there

This is a hard call. First of all I thought Gerry didn't want to have to go through that type of training again. Though he seems to be keeping up with the training on a more normal pace, making it not quite the shock to the system if he had to bulk uo again. Second, how on earth are they going to come up with a film that is going to measure up with the original? Everyone will be comparing it, making it even harder to win people over. I'm sure it can be done, but still... Third, I hate to see him go backwards even if the script looks good. The fact that up until this point each movie he has done as been different and that is one thing I appreciate about him, the way he strives to reach into himself and pull out another facet of who he is and put it whloe heartidly into a new character.

On the other hand, can anyone get too much Leo? :inshade: Gerry does appear to know what he is doing when it comes to his roles as of late, so I know that he will be doing what is best for him and that is all thats important.

oh wow, thank you for the update. I do wonder how they are going to go about it considering the King died in the end of 300...I guess time will tell.

Well if he should need mouth - to mouth resuscitation to revive him - hey I'm there! LOL

I'm on board if Gerry is also.

I will see anything that he is in. Have to agree with most of the posts though.

He doesn't like to be "type-cast" and most sequals/prequals take away from the original IMHO.

I would love to see, however, an expanded love story between Gerry and Gorgo. How they met, married etc.

Don't think many guys would be into that though - and young males are the usual target audience for these flicks.

Just my opinion.

Just have to wait for Frank Miller to complete the graphic novel and then see what Zack Snyder can do with it.

Totally agree with phoenixgirl about lack of creativity in the films

that are being produced these days. Keep on ranting.... Maybe someone

will pay attention and make more films that actually tell a story.

Don't understand why the PTB can't see that it's the lack of creativity that

is keeping the moviegoers away from the theatres. The only good thing about

some of the current movies is that they provide Employment for a lot of People.

(Just my humble opinion)

I think the collaboration between Frank Miller & Zack Snyder would be great! I would be surprised if Gerry revisited this character. He seems to move around a bit. Obviously, it is his decision not ours. I would still go see a sequel even if Gerry wasn't involved. I love history!

I would still go see a sequel even if Gerry wasn't involved. I love history!

You know, me too. I know it wasn't accurate but part of the fun is sometimes weaving a different story from the real one. Like fan fiction, for instance.

I would love to see the same story from the Persian side or a sequel featuring the son or whatever. Frank Miller has a fantastic imagination, 300 was a beautiful film (just beautiful imagery), and Zack Snyder was just so spot-on with his vision. Initially, I was hesitant about another 300. You hate to mess with a good thing but comic writers are interesting in that they do this sort of thing all the time. Maybe it'll suck but I'd be willing to give this one more backing straight out of the gate.

Guest greyeyegoddess

Well if he should need mouth - to mouth resuscitation to revive him - hey I'm there! LOL

:funnyup: :funnyup:

You and a line up of other fans!

~alice

Does anyone else smell a straight to video sort thing happening. I think Zach did a great job w/the original "300" why would he want to do another? I know there is a documentary of the 300 Spartans that aired on I believe A&E, why not do a big screen version of it ala documentary. You can add aspects of the film if you like but keep it strictly documentary. Go visit the actual site of the battle and the soldiers final resting place. I just don't want to see Gerry revise this role I really don't. He could give commentary in the documentary if needed but not actually buff up and put on the suit. As much as I would LOVE to see him in that leather cod again, I can leave it.

Cassie

I'm hoping it will be a pre-quel, because I want to see Leonidas, Stelios & Astinos (& their original portrayers) in it! That would be great to see their character development, as well as others, like how Xerxes came about.

I like the fact that Gerry is a diverse actor, and I hope he remains that way. However, if he wants to stick with a certain kind of genre of movies, I would like it if he did more deep, intense in raw emotional, psycholgical, insane movies (where he is the insane one of course, lol, sorry I'm not all there either, but I really would love to see Gerry do more POTO type movies).

I really don't think Gerry wants to go through all that training nd torture again do you???What do you say Gals???

New '300' rallies troops

By DIANE GARRETT

Spinoffs of bloody actioners can prove challenging, especially when the main characters kick the bucket the first time out. Warners would surely like to cash in on "I Am Legend" again, but would have to find a way to deal with the fact that star Will Smith's character died at the end. Producers tried to figure out how to revisit "Gladiator," but they too were hampered by the fact that the star character, played by Russell Crowe, expired in the original. A second "Wanted" could also prove tricky for Universal given the violent deaths of so many characters.

A sequel to "Sex and the City," by contrast, is theoretically easier to conjure on a creative level, although Warners and New Line could run into talent problems similar to the ones that delayed the original bigscreen adaptation.

The "300" follow-up is one of several sword-and-sandals projects brewing.

Legendary is also developing "Clash of the Titans" for Warners, having recently signed "The Incredible Hulk" director Louis Leterrier as helmer, and Relativity is fast-tacking "War of Gods" (Daily Variety, June 27). Snyder and Miller both have busy slates. Besides "Watchmen," Snyder is working on an adaptation of "Guardians of Ga'Hoole," a children's book series. Miller's first solo helming effort, "The Spirit," is expected later this year; he's also aboard for sequels to "Sin City."

Edited by Nanci

~alice

Yes, there is - the true story of the battle!!! :tantrum: And there's not much history of what happened before or after the Battle of Thermopolae! Ooh, don't get me started! Please don't take that the wrong way. I LOVE 300 - it's how I allowed myself to succumb to Gerry. It holds a special place in my heart . . . as a movie. It's not a documentary, though, which it wasn't supposed to be.

I said this in the other thread . . . I'm quickly losing respect not only for Hollywood but the minds of our nation. There are very few sequeled (is that a word?) movies that are a success...

There is so much history in the world's past to be told! I don't understand this need for sequel after sequel. It shows nothing but laziness and a lack of creativity if you ask me. That's why I'm sooo glad that Gerry said he doesn't think he would ever do a sequel (and I hope he sticks to that). If Gerry ever did choose to do a sequel, my guess is that it would be worth it!

But the crap that's out there being made today astounds me. The American Pie movies, which do have some funny moments, and the Scary Movie films are some examples of movies that have no "value to society" (and please forgive me if I have offended anyone who truly enjoys those movies. Please know that this is just my opinion!) What's this world coming to when all we want to see are tits and arse and sex and violence (useless violence). Whatever happened to just telling a good story??? I think we forgot how to do that.

Am I wrong? Am I being too hard on Hollywood and the world? I don't think so. I'm not a snob. And I'm by no means an expert in films, but COME ON! When was the last time Steven Speilberg even made a great film? Schindler's List, maybe?

Now there ARE some great films still being made, although most are remakes. I Am Legend was great, but again, a remake. 3:10 to Yuma, awesome, but a remake. I know there are more, but it's 4:30 am.

I guess I have a lot to say at 4:00 AM, but I'm getting so sick of the crap being made. Movies used to be about telling a story, not shock value or making animals do stupid things. You want to know what I put on when I want to laugh? Seriously? Father of the Bride 1 and 2. Now THERE'S a re-make AND a sequel that worked! How about them apples?! :lmao: Ooh, Good Will Hunting - great movie.

I also miss Disney making some great kids' movies. Gone are the days of The Jungle Book (and how many horrible remakes of that did they try?), Dumbo, The Lion King and the Little Mermaid. Sad. I'm sure there are more Hans Christian Anderson stories that can be done! No one's made a truly awesome Gulliver's Travels or the Borrowers or so many other wonderful books that were written. Thank God someone got smart and started making the Narnia Chronicles! And Harry Potter! Awesome! Anything to get kids reading again!!

Anyway, there are heroic stories about ordinary people who do extraordinary things to be told. There are thousands of years of history yet to be told. There are stories locked inside the minds of brilliant screenwriters and novelists to be told. I want to see THOSE movies being made. Not the schlock that's coming out lately. Oy vey, that damned Chihuahua movie . . . I don't get it. I really don't. And Burns can't get made? WTF? :wall:

Oh, I saw The Happening. Very good. Better than The Village but not as good as Signs or the Sixth Sense. Now THOSE are awesome movies! I love movies that make you think! Hollywood forgets that we have A BRAIN!!

Damn, I ranted, huh? I'm going back to bed now. :flee:

Lisa

Hey Lisa...rant away, I say! I agree with all you've said..so often anymore, whenever I hear "sequel", all I can see is the dollar signs in their eyes...my humble opinion is that they just need to leave this one alone, but that's just my humble opinion...