Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
heISmyGspot

7/1 - 2008 Comic-Con

When I bought my ticket it wasn't because I hoped Gerry would be there - I knew I would have a good time and I HOPED there might be some presence for one or more of his movies (at the time I was thinking of Game more than RocknRolla) and also hoping for some goodies on Watchmen. To me the tentative roster is all a bonus - Gerry, Hugh Jackman, JDM, Patrick Wilson, Zack Snyder and more - there are so many potential goodies that I can't help but be excited even if only one or two of them actually show up. And it isn't that I expect a meet and greet with any of them - if I'm lucky enough just to be in the hall for their panels I'll be a verrrra happy camper.

Exactly Susan - there is something at CC for everyone. But it is something you have to plan for at least six months in advance (and save $$ for too--only the CC 4-day pass is cheap, everything else is going to cost $$).

I remember staying at home the morning the hotel reservation site went live and it was agonizing as thousands of others were online doing the same thing. I had my reservation dates for the Marriott Marina (beside the convention centre) then waited and waited and waited for the page to process and nothing--session timed out. And same thing happened to many, many others. And you could not get through on the telephone lines either. Luckily by the time I gave up and went to the office (and tried again) I managed to get two nights at the Marriott Marina and my friend across the country got another two nights, so we're set. But there are lots of great hotels close by, and they have shuttle services running all day, so no matter where you stay you are close.

And for those planning for next year, you don't need a car in San Diego (besides cars are restricted around the convention centre for CC--parking is also by shuttle bus). I've already checked out the regular transit routes as I'm spending a week in San Diego and it is easy to get around (and transit is a great way to meet people and see things). Besides the four days of CC--we'll mostly be inside the big convention centre (hopefully with some nice A/C).

Lesley

I've just read on imdb somebody's experience at 2006 Comic-Con and how they started to camp out for Gerry's 300 panel at 1.00am and it wasn't starting til 10am and they were not the first ones there. It is going to be even more manic now as he has risen so much in popularity. They said by about 4am it was right at the end of the building. I guess with having a pass does not guarantee you anything other than entry into the Convention Centre.

Good luck and I hope all of you who are lucky enough to have tickets get into his panel.

Moira

Well If its on the same time next year as this year I think my man has to come with me when I go to the convention in June. He deserves a bit of RnR after 7 years studying, he'd love to go to the comic-com I think we can make it a 6 week junket if we are going to come over. I think he even has an uncle in LA. This is all sounding doable and not as airey-fairey as I originally thought.

Ditto about Hugh Jackman. He is such a great example of an Aussie. He should be Prime Minister. I'd be up at 1am watching parliment on TV. Cos I'm really interested in politics. ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the passes etc.

I've declared it before and I'll do it again, short of surgery or death..I'm freakin' going next year, Alice, if you go next year, you'll have to help me out with getting around that con, I've heard it's huge and the lines get crazy really early.

If you are coming to San Diego for ComicCon and are having trouble finding a room near the site, try to find a hotel close to a trolley stop. It runs from Santee..in the east county... all the way through Misssion Valley, Fashion Valley, Old Town, downtown etc. and has a stop in front of the convention center. There are many hotels just oustside the downtown area which are very close to trolley stops. Good luck......to all. If Gerard does show....keep fingers crossed that he'll be in Hall H again, as is 06, it is the huge one...most of the other rooms are much smaller and they fill up in a hurry. Didn't I read somewhere that the "Game" guys, those crazy writer/directors, are part of some "Web Masters" program at ComicCon? If so, I have the feeling they would be in a smaller hall. Hope this isn't repeat stuff...I haven't read ALL the posts

You can also take the BART, which is bus system. You buy tickets and I think they're like $10 a pass or something. Just take a cab to the hotel and ask the front desk to hook you up.

I am going to the Comic-con with a friend, and it will be an experience I'm sure! I've never been to San Diego. After so many years of hearing how nice SD is, I decided now was the time.

(and who knows.......I may even be doing the 1:00 am thing) Wish us luck........we'll need it!

:gameon::chnuzzle:

I know who was at the front of the line in 2006 and she did get there around 1:00 or 1:30 but a whole bunch of us got there between 5 and 6 and we weren't that far back in the line. I'd say by around 6 the line was back to the edge of the building, but that was still only a few hundred people and Hall H holds 6,500 people. Almost everyone I know was in the first 6 rows (the 300 panel was first that year) and while there were some Comic Con fans who were mad about all the Gerry fans up near the front and some kept trying to steal the seats I think they were appeased when nearly all of us left after the 300 panel and freed up several rows. We won't know for awhile what panels will be where and which days but I certainly hope that camping out on the sidewalk overnight is not necessary!

I've also found that despite Gerry's increasing fame the insanity of waiting in lines isn't what it was a couple of years ago. When Gerry was on Leno in 2005 people began lining up at 9 the night before to get tickets at 8 in the morning. When he was on Leno in 2007 for "300" I know of people who didn't get there until much later in the morning and still got in. Same thing with Craig Ferguson. I know that only 1 fan got in for his Conan O'Brien appearance but that could be because people coming to NY order tickets for the show months in advance not knowing who is going to appear which leaves very few seats for last minute people. So it will be interesting to see how it all plays out this year. Whatever happens I plan to have a good time!

I'd like to to Comic con at least once, but it's always hard going anywhere by yourself.

I know once in the city involved, you can meet up with other fans, but it would be easier and cheaper to go with someone else. I like would enjoy seeing other actors as well. But also have no idea how things go and could get trampled in trying, eeek. :)

FYI to Susan and Alice, if I ever get to go, I'll be asking you for help. :)

Edited by dlsmilad

Hi Ladies!

This is my first post on GALS! I've been a Gerry fan for about 2 years, and have been posting on GB.net. I know quite a few of you - attended lots of Gerry events, and Scotland last summer.

I'll be at Comic Con this year - arriving on Sunday, the 20th, and leaving on Monday, the 28th. I reserved and paid for my hotel last fall - right across from Trolley stop (Doubletree in Mission Valley area). The rate was cheaper if you paid at the time of the reservation, so I did. Like Susan, I knew I would enjoy Comic Con either way, and with Gerry's upcoming movies (Game and RocknRolla), felt there was a high probability he would be there.

The first time I saw Gerry was at the 2006 Comic Con. I went just to see Gerry, and I had to quickly ask for a couple of days off of work, so I was only there for 2 days. But, I realized how much more there was to see, so I planned 'next time' to see the whole thing. So, I'm really looking forward to it!

Donna, sorry to hear about your job. People have begun to buy houses in my area, because they feel prices have hit bottom. I guess not so true in your area. (Donna and I are both Floridians.)

Hugs to all,

Sandy

Edited by SandyW

Guest greyeyegoddess

Welcome to GALS, SandyW!

The nice thing about the San Diego Comic Convention is that you can see the convention center from the airport, so it's not hard to get around. The center is almost a nice, lengthy hike from the airport, not counting all the areas of the airport you may have to walk around in. I've never flown. As much as I walked last time, around Padres' park, I probably could have walked back and forth from the airport.

Everything is right there near the center. All you do is exchange cell numbers with people you trust, who are going, and you'll be ok. Even if you walk along down the lines waiting to go into the center, you can easily fine the Gerry fans by their buttons, shirts, and other memorabilia in their hands.

The Convention center is huge, but everyone lines up in the same place every day. And most people who work for the convention are pretty nice.

~alice

:music:

Hi Sandy,

Welcome to GALS.....

Ok, I blew it and did not get tickets ahead of time. I went to ebay and I am currently waiting to hear

if I won the bid. It is for the 4 days ( the price is not that bad) I put a limit on myself

and I bid below that. I think some of the mania has died. There has not been that

much action on the bid. Wish me luck....hope to see ya there.

Edited by Bea

Hey There Sandy! It's nice to see you here.

Thanks for the job sympathies. The company I worked for is not doing well and I fear they'll be gone soon. After things looked so promising, a huge investor backed out. As a result, I lost my job.

I have a few prospects already. As a matter of fact, an old job of mine opened up with another company and I quickly applied. I'm crossing my fingers that my old manager is still there and hires me back. :pointy:

Have fun in San D..... Sandy! Hee hee.... Get it? I know, I know.... it's very lame. :lalala:

Safe travels everyone. We'll be waiting for pictures and stories when y'all get back!

Hugs,

~ Donna Lee

Thanks for the welcome ladies!!!

Bea, sure hope you get the ticket(s) to Comic Con.

Donna, sure hope you find a new job quickly. It's not just the money, I know it's stressful too. And San D - Cute!!

I'm anxiously awaiting to see if Gerry is definitely going to be at Comic Con, and what day(s). Hopefully, he'll be there for both movies - lots of Gerry as himself time!!! Hopefully, it'll be day(s) not already sold out, so more Gerry fans can join in.

:yummy:

Sandy

:tantrum:

Oh well I lost the bid..... I started feeling last night that it would happen this way.

The bid was a 2 day bid and nothing happened until the last hour. I was thinking someone

is waiting till the last hour and is going to blow me away as they did... there are some pretty smart

cookies out there......

But, I think is was ok because like I said before I am still having some mini panic attacks and

I would hate to be there and not have a good time and be worrying if I am going to freak out

so I think the Good Lord was sending me a message GET WELL first.... LOL!!!

Hey we still have the premiere's to look forward to later in the year wooo hoooo

Next year I am getting my tickets and hotel in Janurary

Edited by Bea

Unfortunately Bea that is what seems to happen on ebay these days. I sold 2 Take That tickets last year - I had camped out and bought 2 for each of the 3 nights in Glasgow and decided I didn't really need to go 3 times and knew they were sought after as it was 2nd row right on the aisle. They were £45 each and I started the bidding off at £500 as I knew front row went for over £1000 on the day of release - some sad fookers out there. Well I put them on a 7 day bid and for most of the time they just went up to £600 but on the last 10 mins it gradually went up to £850. I guess when you are desperate you'll pay anything. I really was shocked at what people were paying for Take That Tickets.

I actually realised there is a very lucrative business there. I had camped out 23 hours in advance because on the Take That Boards you just knew because of the volume that wanted tickets the phone lines and websites would crash immediately - and they did - and I swore I would never do it again as it was early March and freezing but if you can make that kind of a profit and people are willing to pay it then it's worth it. I am not sure how we get away with selling tickets on ebay as i am sure on the back of tickets there is some sort of clause but promotors seem to be powerless to stop ticket selling on ebay. I have heard on occasions if people are selling on ebay and have bought online and wont get the actual ticket until say weeks before the event if the promotors can track down who the actual sellers are it has been known for their tickets to be cancelled. I personally would not be selling anything unless I had it on me in person as it is too much of a risk to take.

Moira

I've already met Gerry at 300 premiere... But I must confess that no other one would make my heart beat faster ... no one... He's unique and my favorite forever and ever... Gerry rules...

Ma :yummy:

Edited by maria cordovil

Hi All,

I'm not sure if the specific date for RocknRolla at ComCon has been reported, but I just got this google alert and wanted to pass it on. If this has already been posted, please disregard.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/07/07/warner...comic-con-2008/

Warner Bros has unveiled their Comic-Con 2008 line-up:

Thursday, July 24th:

Dark Castle Presentation: Rocknrolla, Ninja Assassin, The Hills Run Red, Ferryman (comic book)

6:00pm – 7:00pm in Hall H

Expected Talent: Joel Silver (producer) and Susan Downey (producer)

Rocknrolla: Guy Ritchie (director & writer), Chris Bridges, Jeremy Piven (tbd) additional cast tba,

Ninja Assassin: James McTeigue (director), Ji Hoon Jung (“Rain”) and Naomie Harris

The Hills Run Red: Sophie Monk and Tad Hildenbrink

Ferryman: Marc Andreyko (“Ferryman” writer) and Jonathan Wayshak (“Ferryman” artist)

:tantrum: I WANT TO GO!!!! Will I ever get to see him in person?

Has anyone heard if Gerry is definitely going to be at Comic Con????

Guest greyeyegoddess

As stated by the convention,

This represents the Comic-Con International 2008 Programming Schedule as of this moment. Please note that this schedule is subject to change. Panelists scheduled to appear at each event are also subject to change. Please check the schedule signs outside each door for updated information.

There's never a guarantee, but Gerry hasn't disappointed convention goers yet.

~alice

:music: