Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Babycakes333

GB2009

Hello newbie here! So a few questions about the convention next year...

One post says its about $225 pp...

What exactly does that cover?

When do you have to pay?

Does it matter how you get there?

Is there a way I can find out if someone in my area is going, so I don't have to travel alone?

I would love to go. I haven't had a break from my kids for two years, so by next June it will be almost three years. I never travel, I have only been to Washington and Florida. It sounds really exciting!!!!

Welcome aboard!!!! :welcome:

Please dont balk at the price- when you consider ALL that goes into these awesome conventions, you'll wonder why you werent charged more!!!

The Wonderful GALS that put their all into it, the venue, the food, the decorations etc,, just to name a few things....

Registration hasnt even begun yet but keep your eyes on these threads and you will definitely know when that will happen. (I think sometime in Sept?) Usually you will have to pay a deposit and then about a month or 2 before the convention then balance will be due. You get there anyway you can... hehe... Most of us fly but there are some who drive (some of the planners who have a TON of stuff to bring). There are lots of GALS in Oregon. Swansong lives in Portland. Look her up and PM her I'm sure she will be going again. I missed this year but come hell or high water I will be going next year. My fund has already started. See you in the boards and Have fun!! :vegasbaby:

Annemarie

:welcome: Jacqueline! If you've got Vegas questions, I'm your gal!!! Let me see if I can help:

One post says its about $225 pp... All prices you see posted are from conventions-past. We have not yet determined the registration fee for 2009 as it all depends on contractual obligations which we commit to fulfilling. This aspect of Vegas planning is well underway and the information will be posted as soon as ink is placed on the dotted lines.

What exactly does that cover? Registration fees cover convention-related events within the hotel. (In past years we've had "field trips" to the Brenden Theatres for viewings of Beowulf, POTO, etc -- these events incurred a nominal charge ($15-20), separate and apart from the registration fee.) For your registration fee, one may expect to participate in various workshops, attend sit-down, catered dinners on Friday and Saturday nights (Saturday being our "ball" or "gala" night), goody bags (contents varies) YOU are responsible for booking your travel and hotel. (We'll have a special convention rate for rooms. Again, this will all be posted once the contracts have been executed.) and a tshirt.

When do you have to pay? We've developed a deposit/paid balance system. When registration opens (something which won't be determined until contracts are signed), you'll need to be prepared to make a deposit (it has been $100 in the past, but that may have to change this year -- it depends on what type of deposits the Convention will have to make up front). Anyhoo, you'll make a deposit (of at least $100) to hold your place, with the balance being due around the beginning of May. Paypal is our preferred method of payment, but we gladly accept money order and checks, too.

Does it matter how you get there? Nope. In the words of Oleta Adams: "I don't care how you get here, just - get here if you can."

Is there a way I can find out if someone in my area is going, so I don't have to travel alone? Feel free to start a thread to discuss this topic! I'm sure there are others wondering the same thing and it will give you a place to meet and discuss things as we wait for The Big Day to get here!

I would love to go. I haven't had a break from my kids for two years, so by next June it will be almost three years. I never travel, I have only been to Washington and Florida. It sounds really exciting!!!! My "mommy heart" TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY aches with this statement! LOL "You need a break" is an understatement! You're beyond letting "Calgon" take you away. You need THIS GUY to take you away!

I think most will agree with me when I say that "Vegas" is one of the best gifts you can give yourself as a woman AND as a Gerry fan!

I will also say that we're all a little nervous the first time out. I remember the look on my husband's face when I said, "I'm going to Vegas, BY MYSELF, from June 8th to the 11th -- you'll need to take care of the kids." As my hubby travels a LOT on business and I'm often stuck home "single parenting," he knew better than to protest! LOL

I couldn't believe that I found myself 41 and flying to spend a weekend in Vegas with people I'd never met except for on the internet of all places!!! What the heck was I doing?! I didn't want to "chance" spending the weekend with someone I didn't like, so I made sure I had a room all to myself. My attitude was that if I'd managed to hook up with a bunch of loonies, my "worst case scenario" was that I'd spend the weekend, BY MYSELF, sleeping, reading and watching movies in a nice hotel room -- which sounded pretty good!

Turns out, I barely spent time in that room as we all seemed to band together in what was one big moving pajama party! (There is simply NOTHING LIKE spending two days with 150 women (and a few supportive hubbys/boyfriends) that KNOW what it is to gush, ogle and lust over Gerard Butler -- no explaining WHO he is ... no justifying your time online when you should be doing laundry ... no misunderstandings when you try to convey how that one certain picture/scene/phrase makes your girly bits tingle. We GET THE GERRY JUICE, man! It's extremely liberating in an odd way. Imagine yourself conversing casually over dinner, with images of Gerry (6ft tall) projected, in a continuous loop, on a screen in the background. NOW, imagine yourself giggling because you get tickled at how the WHOLE room will literally gasp at certain images. Then, after we catch our collective breath, it starts all over again - until we start dancing. And EVERYBODY dances! We have wheelchaired gals dancing. We have gals on oxygen dancing. We have those that "haven't danced since they were kids" dancing, even if it's just to sway from foot to foot, and swear they're having the time of their lives. Then we all STOP dancing to gawk at yet another image of Gerry, squeal in unparalleled delight, and start dancing again. And that's just Friday night!! :funnyface:

Awww gee, Spot, I didn't think I had post-Vegas Blues until I read your post!! Now I am all anxious for it to be next June - NOW!! (Well, not QUITE "now" as I've not started collecting goodies for our auctions and raffles yet)

Holly, :D

You covered it beautifully - right on about Friday night - I'm ready for Chapter 2 - Saturday Night's Ball and Raffles.

Hugs, Barbara :wave:

:welcome: Jacqueline! If you've got Vegas questions, I'm your gal!!! Let me see if I can help:

One post says its about $225 pp... All prices you see posted are from conventions-past. We have not yet determined the registration fee for 2009 as it all depends on contractual obligations which we commit to fulfilling. This aspect of Vegas planning is well underway and the information will be posted as soon as ink is placed on the dotted lines.

What exactly does that cover? Registration fees cover convention-related events within the hotel. (In past years we've had "field trips" to the Brenden Theatres for viewings of Beowulf, POTO, etc -- these events incurred a nominal charge ($15-20), separate and apart from the registration fee.) For your registration fee, one may expect to participate in various workshops, attend sit-down, catered dinners on Friday and Saturday nights (Saturday being our "ball" or "gala" night), goody bags (contents varies) YOU are responsible for booking your travel and hotel. (We'll have a special convention rate for rooms. Again, this will all be posted once the contracts have been executed.) and a tshirt.

When do you have to pay? We've developed a deposit/paid balance system. When registration opens (something which won't be determined until contracts are signed), you'll need to be prepared to make a deposit (it has been $100 in the past, but that may have to change this year -- it depends on what type of deposits the Convention will have to make up front). Anyhoo, you'll make a deposit (of at least $100) to hold your place, with the balance being due around the beginning of May. Paypal is our preferred method of payment, but we gladly accept money order and checks, too.

Does it matter how you get there? Nope. In the words of Oleta Adams: "I don't care how you get here, just - get here if you can."

Is there a way I can find out if someone in my area is going, so I don't have to travel alone? Feel free to start a thread to discuss this topic! I'm sure there are others wondering the same thing and it will give you a place to meet and discuss things as we wait for The Big Day to get here!

I would love to go. I haven't had a break from my kids for two years, so by next June it will be almost three years. I never travel, I have only been to Washington and Florida. It sounds really exciting!!!! My "mommy heart" TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY aches with this statement! LOL "You need a break" is an understatement! You're beyond letting "Calgon" take you away. You need THIS GUY to take you away!

I think most will agree with me when I say that "Vegas" is one of the best gifts you can give yourself as a woman AND as a Gerry fan!

I will also say that we're all a little nervous the first time out. I remember the look on my husband's face when I said, "I'm going to Vegas, BY MYSELF, from June 8th to the 11th -- you'll need to take care of the kids." As my hubby travels a LOT on business and I'm often stuck home "single parenting," he knew better than to protest! LOL

I couldn't believe that I found myself 41 and flying to spend a weekend in Vegas with people I'd never met except for on the internet of all places!!! What the heck was I doing?! I didn't want to "chance" spending the weekend with someone I didn't like, so I made sure I had a room all to myself. My attitude was that if I'd managed to hook up with a bunch of loonies, my "worst case scenario" was that I'd spend the weekend, BY MYSELF, sleeping, reading and watching movies in a nice hotel room -- which sounded pretty good!

Turns out, I barely spent time in that room as we all seemed to band together in what was one big moving pajama party! (There is simply NOTHING LIKE spending two days with 150 women (and a few supportive hubbys/boyfriends) that KNOW what it is to gush, ogle and lust over Gerard Butler -- no explaining WHO he is ... no justifying your time online when you should be doing laundry ... no misunderstandings when you try to convey how that one certain picture/scene/phrase makes your girly bits tingle. We GET THE GERRY JUICE, man! It's extremely liberating in an odd way. Imagine yourself conversing casually over dinner, with images of Gerry (6ft tall) projected, in a continuous loop, on a screen in the background. NOW, imagine yourself giggling because you get tickled at how the WHOLE room will literally gasp at certain images. Then, after we catch our collective breath, it starts all over again - until we start dancing. And EVERYBODY dances! We have wheelchaired gals dancing. We have gals on oxygen dancing. We have those that "haven't danced since they were kids" dancing, even if it's just to sway from foot to foot, and swear they're having the time of their lives. Then we all STOP dancing to gawk at yet another image of Gerry, squeal in unparalleled delight, and start dancing again. And that's just Friday night!! :funnyface:

Extremely, professionally well said Spot.....and you were wonderful looking after me. :wave:

Its very true what you said about the first time...I was petrified and now I cannot wait for 2009. :tantrum:

I had a wonderful time and did not find time to be lonely.......... :lalala:

AnnieMarie...Welcome :wave:

Pamela

:D

Extremely, professionally well said Spot.....and you were wonderful looking after me.

Meeting you was a highlight for me, Pam! You're an inspiration to us all and I look forward to huggin' ye again in 2009!

Hey Jacqueline

All I can say sweetie is whatever it takes JUST DO IT!!

It will be one of the best experiences of your life! In 2006 I flew all the way from Ireland to share a room with 2 strangers for 4 nights.

I thought I must be mental.......I've snapped.......I've got GALS!! :lalala:

What I got was one of the most liberating experiences of my life........sharing my room with 2 of the most percious women in the world(Issy and Jilly xx) and sme of the best times ever from the booster seat, to the beginning of mandoll mania to my tattoo!! OMG totally awesome. So much so I was devastated I couldn't go in '07...............thrilled to go in '08 and had yet again another memorable time (a new high) '09 is gonna ROCK cause baby this only gets BETTER!!!

Hugs

Snap

Holly that was beautiful xx

Hi there!

I am really interested in this event. You mentioned Paypal as a means of payment. How do you get a Paypal account? I think sending a cheque or money order may not be fast enough for me!! I have to admit I am really curious to meet/see the members of this site. I sometimes think I am invading someone's privacy!!

WL

Hi there!

I am really interested in this event. You mentioned Paypal as a means of payment. How do you get a Paypal account? I think sending a cheque or money order may not be fast enough for me!! I have to admit I am really curious to meet/see the members of this site. I sometimes think I am invading someone's privacy!!

WL

No worries, Lady! We love talking about this kind of stuff! LOL Signing up for paypal is easy. Just follow the steps here.

If you want to research "paypal" before signing up, you can start at www.paypal.com.

Again, you don't HAVE to use paypal -- it's just "preferred." Since everything is tracked electronically, it's easier to "paper trail" receipts and disbursements. But we'll accept your check or money order, too! :kisswink:

I know it's only been a month since we wrapped up Vegas 08, but I can't wait for registration for '09 to go "LIVE!" :woohoo:

Hi there!

WL

No worries, Lady! We love talking about this kind of stuff! LOL Signing up for paypal is easy. Just follow the steps here.

If you want to research "paypal" before signing up, you can start at www.paypal.com.

Again, you don't HAVE to use paypal -- it's just "preferred." Since everything is tracked electronically, it's easier to "paper trail" receipts and disbursements. But we'll accept your check or money order, too! :kisswink:

I know it's only been a month since we wrapped up Vegas 08, but I can't wait for registration for '09 to go "LIVE!" :woohoo:

Thank you

WL

What an informative thread! I'm convinced. I'll be in Vegas in 09 for certain!

Just to add on ---

Holly said it all so well. I got myself on a plane to Vegas in '07 saying all the way -- WHAT AM I DOING? I had my own room ...just like she said. (Holly, do you live inside my head or something?) I could NOT believe I was taking this chance and hanging out there.

And low and behold -- there I was in '08 -- finding people I'd met the year before and meeting knew ones too! (HI LUGERRY). It was the greatest thing I'd done for myself in years. No explaining about Gerry, no I'm off to a conference....I simply told people I was off to the Gerry Fan Convention. I now have guys at work asking me if I'm going to Vegas again AND also asking if I've hearding anything about a new movie by Guy Ritchie that might have Gerry in it.

It was the best thing I've done for myself.

Dedicate a piggybank and come on down. YOU'LL LOVE IT.

And thanks to all the GALS that made me feel so welcome and happy to be a part of things.

Jill

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Can't wait for Vegas 2009!

I echo what everyone has said so far. It is not to be missed.

Holly, you did such a great job explaining it. But if you want even more stories, Babycakes, here are links to stories from 2006, 2007, and our most recent 2008. I was scared to death in 2006 as I stepped off that plane but my life has never been the same since. I hope to see you there. As a mom of three kids who had forgotten how important it is to take time out for ME, I cannot stress enough how important it is to do something that is just for you.

:hugs: from another Jill (Currently a resident of California, soon to be Oregon! )

Hi to all. My name is gemstone. I would like to tell you a story. My first year with the Gals was wonderful. I went by myself and I was in a wondeful world. I did not know anyone there. But now I have a hole new family. tHE GALS made me feel at home. I hoping to go this year. So i hope all get to go. Patricia.

I just want you to now that some of the people at work have been talking about a new POTO Dvd. Does anyone know about this? They say that is in the stores. I have not have the time to check it. out. Gemstone.