Gerard Butler GALS

I've never seen this movie!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

April....this is a MUST see! One of his better movies if you ask me. And....you get to listen to his full out and out Scottish brogue that'll curl your toes! :cunning: He is totally him in this movie. And......He doesn't die!

:wave: Frannie

You have to see this movie, once again Gerry is fantastic, but the story itself is a really sweet one. I highly HIGHLY recommend it, even if it's just for once scene they have together, in that hallway of her apartment building..okay two, there is one when they are dancing too.

You have to own it. Period. Stated in the most loving fashion...

3 must have-Gerrymovies: POTO, DF and The jury.. Oh, - and *slaps self* also.. *drags self out of thread, but hangs on by fingernails screaming: - Did I tell you to see and own Dear Frankie?!? *

Hugs from Eva Mari :wuv:

Definately A MUST!!!! Gerry does an amazing job in it!!! It shows Scotland's beauty! Gerry's accent is AMAZING!!!!! The story is great too!!! The movie makes you think what you would do for a child!

This film unfortunately did not receive a wide release, but I consider it Gerry's best performance to date.

At the Cannes Film Festival, Gerry et al received a long standing ovation, and the critics loved it.

It is a subtle film, with outstanding acting throughout. Gerry is very convincing as a strong father figure. He also persuades a woman disillusioned by love to open up again. It is a highly masculine role, and he nails it.

You definitely need to see this movie! I found it to be an emotional rollercoaster. I know some people feel the movie is sweet but it is so much more than that. Gerry gave a wonderful performance. I think the fact that it was filmed in Scotland gave him something extra! I wish it had been marketed to a wider audience.

Hi April

I absolutely love this GB movie. I have it sitting here on my desk at work right now because I have HIGHLY recommended it to several co-workers who all agree that it is such a good movie. :)

It is a heartfelt movie that you will cry, you will laugh, you will cheer and he just oozes so much Gerry juice in the movie that whew, it takes your breath away. It was made in Scotland and the brogue is thick but gosh, I loved every single detail of that movie. He is awesome and the supporting cast, it absoutely wonderful. Rent it or buy it - but make sure you see it soon!

Deb

Just like everyone said...you HAVE to see this movie. I cried my eyes out the first time I saw it (in a good way) and it's my second fave Gerry movie. Very touching, and the end...well, you'll know what I mean when you watch it.

Watch it........many times. It's a whole other side of Gerry that you will fall in love with. Watch it the first time and just take in the story. Then watch it again to fill in the things you missed the first time. Then watch it again and just watch Gerry's eyes and mouth. He acts with his eyes. He speaks volumes with those eyes. My twelve year-old granddaughter watched it and cried.

But the tears are both sad and hopeful tears. Trust us, you will love this movie. EVERYONE who watches it does!!!!

(sighs and drifts off thinking about The Stranger)

Dear Frankie is not just my favorite Gerry movie but my favorite movie, period. It is beautifully filmed, beautifully acted, very subtle and wonderful. I've been to Scotland twice and both times took a special tour to visit some of the film sites and they are as special as the movie. SEE IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!

Watch it........many times. It's a whole other side of Gerry that you will fall in love with. Watch it the first time and just take in the story. Then watch it again to fill in the things you missed the first time. Then watch it again and just watch Gerry's eyes and mouth. He acts with his eyes. He speaks volumes with those eyes.

(sighs and drifts off thinking about The Stranger)

Wow Lady Claire - that is such a good depiction of Gerry's performance - you summed it up so well. :) This really is an awesome little movie. I agree, I wish it had been released to a bigger audience. :)

Thanks ladies! I wonder if our video store has it for rent.

If you can't find it at your video store, try your local library if they rent movies. Mine does and that's where I rented my first viewing. Then I just went out and bought it. :D

:wuv:I've seen this movie so many times and never get tired of it! This is one of those movies where although he doesn't have a LOT of dialogue...his eyes and smile does the rest...He has no name (no past/present or future) but when it is over you just know somehow they will meet again....sigh

Thanks Jo :)

I know Dear Frankie will be one of my next purchases!

No problem. I hope you find it and enjoy. You have to let us know what you think.

I agree with all the comments. DEAR FRANKIE is a treasure of a movie, a fabulous, heart-warming, beautifully acted, and perfectly sweet movie of the power of a mother's love to protect her own from heartbreak. The cast is dynamite, all of them, and Gerry is drop-dead gorgeous in this. Next to POTO, it is my favorite Gerry movie.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been hooked on Dear Frankie for the past few weeks and have fallen head over heals for this movie. I love it more every time I watch it. I think it will end up being one of my all time favorites. I just noticed in the scene where Lizzie & Frankie meet The Stranger at the boat....that he (The Stranger) looks to be giving the man on the boat money....for letting him stand on the ship. Thats how I took it anyway. Did I miss something??? I assumed that Stanger was telling the truth about working on a ship.

Edited by isaboo

I think he worked on a boat but not that particular one he was standing on. The one he stood on was supposedly Frankie's dad's ship so since he was playing the part he thought he's make it a little more real :) He did indeed give him money.

Hope this helps :)

April

Introduced this film to three new Gerry fans and they all were awe struck. they loved it. And Gerry went up in their estimation. This is my fave Gerry film and way high on my all around list. I love this movie.

"Dear Frankie" If I had a dollar for every time I viewed or recomended that film, I would be a millionaire. Just the other day I had an insident in business that was where someone was trying to pull the wool over my eyes and I might say insult my intelligence. The scene of the libraian came into my mind. The libraian screws up her face and tears into Frankie. Paraphrasing. "do you think I just came up the river Clyde in a paper boat??? The anger that was filling me up disappeared into a inward smile and I moved on. I find this to be a "pure" movie. The writing is there, the directing is there, the sets are there, the actors are there but you do not see "them". What you get is a "pure" slice of everyday life, so refreshing, so real. It is a film that will stay with me and give me an inward tranquility that film makers can be so sensitive, so talented. It is unfortunanate that even Gerry's fellow Scots, don't know of him and this beautiful film. But girl, you get this DVD and have yourself a wonderful experiance. MY SPELL CHECK SAID MY SPELLING WAS "OK" but I doubt it, please forgive.

This is one of the few movie that didn't NEED anything else. Even after seeing the deleted scenes. I still think this movie is as close to perfect as we will get.

I have it next to To Kill a Mockingbird on my shelf.

Edited by TheBlonde