Gerard Butler GALS
SouthernGirl28

I've never seen this movie!

Sigh, just got through watching this movie yet again - there is nothing decent on t.v. - Sigh, I love this movie. There is so much 'unsaid' in this movie. It just melts me everytime he kisses her in the doorway. For that little kiss, I just lean in everytime I watch it as if it is the first time for me. I wonder if he and Emily did another movie together if the chemistry would be there still? Many stars do it (Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy to name a few). I would like to see them in something again or even the actress (whose name escapes me at this moment) who plays Marie - I would love to see him in something with her. Heck, I would even take seeing him with the boy that plays Frankie - his chemistry is good with all three actors. :)

Sharon Small plays Marie - I just love her character in the movie. The librarian was played by a real librarian - not an actress - isn't that cool?

I don't know whether the Stranger was really from a ship or not. There is that moment at the dance when Marie asks Lizzie what she thinks (of the Stranger) and Lizzie says there is nothing to think, because his ship is leaving tomorrow, "like he said" and Marie replies, "yeah, like he said" in a rather enigmatic way that makes me wonder if that part of his story was made up too.

I just adore that this movie doesn't attempt to tie up all the loose ends - it leaves us thinking, and wondering, and forming our own opinions about so many things. It also gives us a chance to hash it over with each other.

Shona, Andria and Gerry have chemistry. Let's demand that they get on a project again under " Evil Twins". Gerry this is serious, the women know what's best for you.

:hearts::stranger:

You have to watch this film. I think this film has a special meaning for Gerard because is was shot in Greenock. Greenock is close to where he grew up and he has said that he use to go running there as a kid.

At first I thougt is was shot in Glasgow, but it did not look right to me. Later I discovert that is was Greenock and then it all made sence. I started to recognize places in the film ( I have worked in Greenock). I was different watching the movie after that.

But it has been some time since you postet this message so I hope that you have seen it by now.

Hugs

Dane

I just watched this movie for the first time last night. Absolutely loved it and I would recommend it to anyone who loves Gerry. Sometimes small films can have a powerful impact...this film really did touch my heart. I will admit...I cried. Everything about this film is wonderful...the actors, the scenery and most of all the story. Magic.

Well, after over three years, Dear Frankie remains not only one of my personal favorite films of all time, it's still one that I enthusiastically recommend to people often...I think I recommended it to at least four people in the past ten days.

Edited by Panarophile

What I would give to see it on the big screen with gals.... :wuv:

I saw Dear Frankie for the first time today. I am still amazed that I had not seen this! I loved it!

D

I saw Dear Frankie for the first time today. I am still amazed that I had not seen this! I loved it!

D

I am so glad you finally got to see this. I love this movie! It always makes me cry. That Gerry...........I've shed many tears watching his performances. Dear Frankie and The Jury are probably the biggest tear jerkers for me.

Ren

D

Good for you! This is one of the first movies I rented *because* Gerry was in it, and it is my favorite so far, even more than POTO, 300 or PSILY. My favorite scene is where Frankie hugs him for the first time. Seconds stretch out with no dialogue...because Gerry doesn't need it. He portrays a gamut of emotions with his eyes and face as he hesitantly steps into the role of Frankie's dad. That scene should be shown to both acting students and beginning screenwriters to show what a brilliant actor can do with minimal or no words.

Dear Franke is a wonderful movie and Gerard´s acting really fantastic in different scenes. POTO and DF are my favourite GB movies so far. On tv he was really great in The Jury.

Edited by Skatingfan03

I watched Dear Frankie tonight. Did Marie call the stranger, "Louis"? I thought that I heard her call him that the first time I watched the movie but no one said anything about it so I thought maybe it was just me. Then I heard it again, or I thought I did.

D

D, I don't know what scene you think you hear that in, but I feel sure she doesn't mention his name. If you told me, I would check to see what she said.

I also feel sure that after all these years, if the Stranger's name was mentioned in the movie, it would be common knowledge. I have also watched this movie many, many times and never noticed it.

Ren

Well, the scene was when they were at the dance sitting at the table and Marie leaned over and said something to him and I thought she called him "Louis" and everyone kind of gave each other a worried look for a moment because they thought Frankie saw it and luckily he was distracted at that moment. Am I crazy?

D

Yes D, you are crazy. :) Just kidding.

What happens is, The Stranger lays a pack of cigarettes on the table and Marie says "Since when did you start smoking those? What happened to your beloved roll-ups?" Everyone looks at Frankie, then she says "Oh Jesus, make my next one a double"

That's it......no Louis.

Sorry!

Ren

Edited by Rendita

Yes D, you are crazy. :) Just kidding.

What happens is, The Stranger lays a pack of cigarettes on the table and Marie says "Since when did you start smoking those? What happened to your beloved roll-ups?" Everyone looks at Frankie, then she says "Oh Jesus, make my next one a double"

That's it......no Louis.

Sorry!

Ren

Thanks for the translation, Ren! Wow, I was way off! How I got "Louis" out of any of that is beyond me! Oh well!

D

So by now,April, you know how intense of a movie " Dear Frankie "is. I have it in my collection also and viewed it sevearl times. There is a value system set up on automatic pilot in " Dear Frankie'. I feel some people of the world hunger for honesty and true values at this present time. Sad to say some people do not care even for themselves let alone anyone else. Dear Frankie takes us above and beyond into the realm of the human spirit. This is what I personally hunger for in a movie truth,values and lifes joys. But as my great aunt used to tell me..." it takes all kinds to make up this world". So it is and thats okay too.

The copy my video store has is of bad quality - several of the scenes jumped. At the end where she is reading the last letter I know I missed something because all of a sudden the credits are rolling. I will have to watch for it on Direct TV. I did enjoy what parts I could make sense of.

OK, I haven't seen this yet. I think I need to this weekend!

My husband taught Jack McElhone who played Frankie. I like to think of this as a tiny little connection...Ed (my husband) taught Jack who worked with Gerry :)

Somethings in life are just not fair :( xx