Gerard Butler GALS

Again.... and still

Swansong

Jilly, I got my copy of Charles Dance's Phantom on e-bay. You may have to wait, and hunt because it is rathr hard to come by.

Donnie, ALL of the mini-series is on youtube. That's where I watched it the first time. Link to whole mini-series (look on the right. It should be the first listing)

Thank you very much for the link! I will watch it as soon as I get home (which will be on Saturday, now I am in Internet cafe)!

I suppose it will be very interesting to see (I accidentally got to the ending of it when I was looking for something else, so I already know that it will be different), although I do not have to say who will remain the best Phantom for me! :wave::wave::wave:

I love Gerry's voice. There are some notes he sings that are so filled with tenderness, but when he releases the Phantom's anger, his voice is a weapon against Christine's innocence, and he uses it to throttle her, because he knows that he will never physically harm her.

I know exactly what you mean Swansong in fact Cleobethra made me a siggy when I first arrived here which described that feeling to a tee!Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by may

What can I say about POTO? I simply love that movie. Right now, it’s my favorite movie, and the POTO soundtrack is my favorite soundtrack. I could talk forever about POTO and especially about Gerry’s performance in it, but don’t worry, I won’t talk forever at the moment (lol). Before I get to Gerry, though, let me point out that I didn’t think that Patrick Wilson’s acting was as bad as a lot of people are saying. True, Patrick lacks Gerry’s intensity, and I don’t think that Patrick could give a convincing performance as the Phantom, but Patrick was perfect for the role of Raoul (especially with his angelic voice). Some moments that stood out to me when it comes to Patrick is during “Notes” when his face looks truly concerned when he discovers that the managers do not know where Christine is at. I also like after “All I Ask of You,” when Emmy pulls away from Patrick and says “I must go/They’ll wonder where I am.” Patrick’s face is simply saying “Why did you stop kissing me, woman?” Also, the look on Patrick’s face during “PONR” when he sees the passion between Gerry and Emmy. Acting wise, I would say that Emmy’s acting was the worse. Don’t get me wrong, I loved her singing voice, but she should have moved around more during “Think of Me,” and her tears seemed more forced than Gerry’s. Then again, I can’t totally blame Emmy. She came into this project as more of a singer than an actress, while Gerry came in as more of an actor than a singer (and he is simply an amazing actor AND singer, and as nice as a singer as Patrick is I still prefer Gerry‘s singing it‘s so full of emotion, passion, intensity and it is truly seductive, intoxicating, memorizing, and hypnotizing.).

Now, I will finally get to our main man, Gerry. His performance in POTO is beyond what mere words can describe. Gerry’s performance was truly the best acting performance I have ever seen in my life. I can’t help noticing now how many actors seem flat in their acting compared to him.

First of all, I’ll begin with “The Mirror.” You can truly hear the Phantom’s jealousy of Raoul at the beginning. Then, you can hear the Phantom’s voice turn softer after Christine asks for his forgiveness. And you can hear the Phantom’s dominance over Christine when he singing “I am your Angel of Music/Come to me Anger of Music.” It’s clear that the Phantom is in total control in this scene.

“The Phantom of the Opera” was truly like a Rock and Roll track, and it was extremely catching. In fact, it was the first song whose lyrics I memorized. The Phantom is clearly in control still, even though I think I caught of trace of sadness to his voice when he sings “hears” in “It’s me they hear.” Overall, though, the Phantom is pulling Christine’s strings, and she is truly under his spell.

Now, “The Music of the Night,” my favorite song from this movie. It’s all Gerry‘s voice. I love Emmy’s voice as well, and even though it’s more trained than Gerry’s and stronger and louder, her voice simply does not hold a candle to Gerry’s voice (in my opinion). You can see in Gerry’s eyes the love, the longing, and the sadness that the Phantom has when it comes to Christine. You can hear the Phantom’s struggle in his voice. Even though Gerry sounds seductive and is very hypnotizing (and one of first reactions was Gerry could sing to you about you killing someone and still make it sound beautiful, kind of morbid I know but it‘s true), you can also hear the sadness in the Phantom’s voice, as if he already knows deep down in his heart that Christine will never be his. And I thought that Gerry did hit some notes well, such as “soar” in “Let your spirit start to soar,” and “night” in “Help me make the Music of the Night.”

“I Remember/Stranger Than You Dreamt It,” one of my favorite acting scenes from Gerry. The expression on Gerry’s face is priceless when he turns around to look at Christine. Then the Phantom looks sad and looks as if he is about ready to cry. Then, he tries to pull off the “cool guy” act by going back to his writing and ignoring Christine. He looks happy when Christine touches him, then quickly becomes angry when she removes his mask. Not only can you hear the anger in his voice, you can also see the anger in Gerry’s face and eyes. Then, Gerry goes from full blown anger to a more quiet anger mixed with bitterness. Then, Gerry’s voice just sounds plain sad after he looks at the big doll of Christine. Then, when he sinks down to the ground, one could get the impression that his mouth is saying “Give me my mask,” and when Christine does, it looks like his mouth is saying “Thank you.” Then, Gerry puts his mask on and gets back to his feet. He know sounds much more confident, but you can tell he is still emotionally shaken as his Adam’s apple causes a lump in his throat as he is telling Christine with a confident voice that they must return.

I will continue with the rest of Gerry’s scenes later, but I need to get off the Internet in case my sister calls from work. Thank you for taking the time to read all this, and really this wasn’t forever, it really wasn’t (lol).

Before I get to Gerry, though, let me point out that I didn’t think that Patrick Wilson’s acting was as bad as a lot of people are saying. True, Patrick lacks Gerry’s intensity, and I don’t think that Patrick could give a convincing performance as the Phantom, but Patrick was perfect for the role of Raoul (especially with his angelic voice).

I think you are right about his intensity in this movie but did anyone see him with Ellen Page in "Hard Candy"? You can't get much more intense than that! Also you are right about the voice...they needed someone to balance out from Gerry "Rocker" voice and Patrick does a lot of stage singing.

Then again, I can’t totally blame Emmy. She came into this project as more of a singer than an actress,

Emmy had just wrapped up shooting "The Day After Tomorrow" here in Montreal so she has had some acting experiences...but who can blame her for staring agape when the Phantom was holding her and singing to her the way he did?

Then, when he sinks down to the ground, one could get the impression that his mouth is saying “Give me my mask,” and when Christine does,

I've played that part with the subtitles because of my French speaking granddaughters and also I used to read lips because I was deaf as a child and I think he says "Oh Christine!" But you are so right about Gerry's ability to go from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in the sweap of a cape...He is a Scorpio and they do that the best of all! Thanks for your post...

I don't know enough of those foreign words to express what POTO and thereby discovering Gerard Butler and GALS has meant to me. :reddeath:

But I will say that they were robbed for the Academy Award when it comes to costumes!! :tantrum:

Hugs from Eva Mari :wuv:

I’m back. Before I get back to that certain man who has that strange tendency towards singing and wearing a mask, I would like to make a few comments about Patrick and Emmy. As much as I love Patrick’s singing voice, an overly trained voice is not always a good thing. However, the only time it bothered me somewhat was when Christine and Raoul were in chapel together, and Patrick was singing “You said yourself he was nothing but a man/Yet while he lives he will haunt us till we’re dead.” Patrick made those lines too perfect sounding that it did grate on my nerves somewhat but not enough to make me complain too much. As for Emmy, her acting was not flat, and she did a good job in the final lair scenes, but I just can’t get over the fact that I wished she moved around more on the stage when she was singing “Think of Me.” I wish Gerry had the strength of voice for stage because he has no problems with moving around a lot, especially during Music of the Night, the man did not stand still for one second. Overall, though, Emmy was not the turn off that some people make her out to be. I loved her “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” and her “Twisted Every Way.” I also love how she sings the lines “Order your fine horses/Be with them at the door” after “All I Ask of You.” She sounded like such a happy child. And Emmy did a good job at sounding naïve and innocent throughout the whole movie, while Patrick truly sounded like the handsome, heroic prince come to save his beloved from the unknown. However, Gerry did the best job of acting through his singing, and despite the fact that Patrick and Emmy have more of a singing background than Gerry does, I think that Gerry has the best voice of the three (maybe not the strongest but still the most captivating and the one that stands the most with me).

Hi, may. Could you possibly tell me what you think Patrick is saying during PONR when Emmy is beginning to sing her part and she looks up to him. I know that Patrick moves his mouth, but I don’t know what he is saying. Thanks. And you’re right, who can blame Emmy for starring agape when it comes to Gerry singing to her and holding her (I wish that was me he was singing to and holding)

Now back to Gerry. His performance is so wonderful that even after watching the movie a million times (okay so maybe not a million, lol) I still every once in a while notice something that he does that I hadn‘t noticed before. The same applies to his voice when I am listening to him sing on the soundtrack; I sometimes hear something that I had not noticed before.

I forget to mention something when Gerry and Emmy are singing “POTO.” When Emmy is singing “The Phantom of the Opera is there inside my mind” you can tell by the way that Gerry does his eyes that he is nervous and who can blame him, it isn’t as if he takes women down to his lair on a night to night basis. Simply perfection, Gerry doesn’t even have to utter a word to steal the scene.

In “The Music of the Night,” along with all the other comments I’ve already made, I would like to say that I loved how he sounded so soft and gentle towards Emmy, and his eyes held total affection and sometimes sadness when he was looking at her. I loved what he does with his eyes and makes them so full of affection when he sings “Listen to the Music of the Night” before he takes his hand out of Emmy’s and goes up the stairs with perfect, seductive movement. I’m trying to remember if Gerry stood still at all at any moment in that scene, lol. I also forget to mention the brief smile that Gerry gives in this scene after he sings “The power of the Music of the Night.”

Okay, now I will get to “Notes.” On a side note, I loved Patrick in this scene. I actually loved this whole song. I liked how Gerry sounded so light hearted and so like a mischievous child when he singing his part in this song. You could tell he was enjoying himself when he wrote that he wanted Carlotta to play the silent role, just like a little child. And I loved the childish smirk he gave in this scene, the second of only two smiles I remember seeing him give in this whole movie.

During Il Muto, I loved how Gerry delivered his lines. He indeed sounded threatening when he said “Did I not instruct that Book Five was to be kept empty?” On a side note, did the notice how Patrick looked after he heard those words? Patrick was like “You’re not talking about the box I’m sitting in, are you?” When Gerry was about to catch Buquet, he truly looked angry and had the right expression for someone who was about to take another person’s life. Gerry didn’t show any regard for Buquet’s life when he had that noose around his neck. And then to end this scene, we have Gerry give a nice swoop of his cape, no one can swoop and handle a cape quite like Gerry can.

“All I Ask of You” is beautifully song by Patrick and Emmy, but Gerry (once again not having to say a word) turns this scene from a good one to an excellent one with his facial expressions. You can clearly see the shock and the disbelief on his face when he sees Patrick and Emmy kissing each other. Gerry shows with his face alone that his character does not yet know how to handle what has just happened.

“All I Ask of You (Reprise)” is another one of my favorite Gerry Butler acting scenes in this movie. You truly believe from looking at his face and his eyes that he is sad. That rose he is holding is also shaking a lot. His voice also reflects the sadness that he is feeling. He sobs after he sings “Made your song take wing” and after “How you’ve repaid me,” and I believe I hear a slight sob before he sings “How you’ve repaid me.” That man truly knows how to cry and sound sad in a believable manner. Then, when Patrick and Emmy begin to sing, you can see the slow but believable transition on Gerry’s face from sadness to anger. His face really does shake with anger, and you can see the anger in his eyes. Then, after being all soft and quite up to that point, Gerry becomes loud and commanding when he sings “You will curse the day you did not do all that the Phantom asked of you.”

I will continue this later, but I have typed about two pages already, and I don’t want my post to be super long, but I will continue talking about Gerry later (if it’s possible to stop talking about Gerry, lol).

:clap: I really love these posts where we can all share the different ways we understood this beautiful movie. And I want to thank you gerran for your input it really is fascinating!

Gerran wrote:

I wish Gerry had the strength of voice for stage because he has no problems with moving around a lot, especially during Music of the Night, the man did not stand still for one second.

I think that now he has quit smoking his strength should return. Have you seen the "Making of POTO" where they show the actors going through their scenes? In the part at the Ball Gerry had to do many "takes" with JS stopping the shoot from time to time so as to convey his ideas on the way a scene should play out...At these intervals we see Gerry drinking a lot of water while JS describes what it is he wants to happen. Even during the actual piece Gerry seems a bit winded especially when he makes his way down to Christine and stares down at her..Another place was in the Lair when he pulled the lever to let Raoul in then again when he is seated in front of the "monkey" and then when he sings "Christine...I love you!" :erik: I am so proud of him for taking the decision to quit his habit of smoking and hope and pray that his will stays strong. I have a son and daughter who both quit after seeing their grandmother die of Lung cancer and am so happy they took that final decision...

Hi, may. Could you possibly tell me what you think Patrick is saying during PONR when Emmy is beginning to sing her part and she looks up to him. I know that Patrick moves his mouth, but I don’t know what he is saying.

Actually he is stunned and just takes a big swallow like when we witness an awful accident and it makes our mouths go dry we tend to gulp in disbelief..notice his eyes are also full of tears another appearance of "shock"...

I’m trying to remember if Gerry stood still at all at any moment in that scene, lol. I also forget to mention the brief smile that Gerry gives in this scene after he sings “The power of the Music of the Night.”

Again in the making of the movie we know that during this part there are many "cuts" then "roll cameras" so what looks like something that flows evenly is actually splices of parts very well done by the editors..But Gerry does move like a beautiful Gazelle with those long slender legs doesn't he? :whome2:

He sobs after he sings “Made your song take wing” and after “How you’ve repaid me,” and I believe I hear a slight sob before he sings “How you’ve repaid me.” That man truly knows how to cry and sound sad in a believable manner.

:phantom2: I agree completely that he sure pulls out his emotions well..I cried every time he did! There was a photo of him preparing for these emotions and it looked like the woman was rubbing his back while he "emoted" ; they must feel completely "spent" after some of these scenes where so much pain is called for. I took an acting course when I was much younger in College and there was a test we had to do where we would let ourselves fall into two other students awaiting arms...It was supposed to teach us to trust and rely I had a hard time with that one (afraid they might forget to catch me Lol!)... :rotflmao:

I missed an opportunity to watch POTO with all my GALS in Las Vegas, and so having not seen it in over a year, I watched last night on my laptop with my headphones. After having seen it in the theater over 14 times, I thought perhaps some of its original magic might have warn off, or that I might somehow have hardened myself to the Phantom's spell... but the opposite was true. I found myself anticipating each scene, and even though I knew what was coming as one scene transitioned to another, I could not help but be drawn back into the Phantom's illusion of mist and mirrors.

There is something so raw and immediate about Gerry's portrayal of the Phantom, and although the film was released several years ago, his passion and heartbreak feel very much in the now to me; the Phantom's pain very present. I never feel like I am watching something that happened, but but instead I feel that I am watching something which IS happening.

When I first saw Phantom in Dec 2004, I knew nothing of the actor portraying that role, and I watched him mesmerized not only by the sexuality he exuded, but by the layers he peeled away from that character, as his mad love for Christine gradually deconstructed him until he was a mere boy again.... remembering all the rejections and facing the rest of his life in solitude.

We know that in order to play that role, Gerry subjected himself to revisiting the dark places of his own life and experience... we know that in front of cameras and crews, he made himself completely vulnerable to the point where he didn't care if saliva was trailing down his chin, or that his features seemed to melt as the Phantom's love for Christine was denied again and again. He was all out there.... Gerry's own insecurities and fears revealed in the Phantom's eyes.

The first time I saw POTO, I didn't know that was Gerry in there... or even an actor. I only saw the Phantom. This time as I watched, I knew it was Gerry, and I thought back on every interview I've ever read where he talks about Phantom of the Opera. I thought about his comments regarding the first time he read the script, and I thought about how he was able to get under the Phantom's skin and flesh out a real living and breathing human being.

For me, knowing who the actor is now did not in the least diminish my ability to be immersed in the film... if anything my knowledge of Gerry made me love the movie even more. Based on a few recent comments in the press, Gerry still considers and thinks about this role, and still seems surprised by the passionate reaction it draws from viewer and fans. I know it would be a bit unsettling to have a total stranger unburden all their deep feelings about this film, yet I'm guessing that in many ways, those stories stay with him.

Phantom's magic cannot be credited to Gerry alone; the other actors, the music, the story, the atmosphere all contribute to a film that has lived beyond it's theatrical release.... inspiring screenings, inspiring artists and writers. The whole team who brought us the film are responsible for its surprising and lasting impact on our hearts, but I will always believe Gerry Butler's portrayal is what took the movie beyond just being a film, and made Phantom of the Opera a phenomenon.

Last night as I watched the rose change from black and white to red, I cried the same tears I cried when I first saw the film. In my mind I heard Gerry singing No One Would Listen... and like many of you, though we never see him in that leaf strewn cemetery... I could feel him there.

It's a movie that stays with you.

Swannie

I find this unsettling, because I was drawn to watch POTO last night as well. I don't know why, but I felt a need to watch it again. I never got to see it in the theatre. I was out of work and alone and worrying about how to pay the mortgage for a long time. Even though I LONGED to see it I couldn't at the time. The story is to long to tell but I didn't see it until last June. I have always loved the story, I'v told this before, since I was eight. Gerry brought the Phantom to life for me, and there can never be another Fhantom for me except Gerry. But, something about last night; I had a million other things I needed to do, but I NEEDED more to watch POTO. Swannie, your description is so uncanny. I watch this movie at least once a month, but I never tire of it, and I never am bored with it, and I always anticipate the next scene, just as you said you do. What is it about this particular movie, this particular artist, that causes this effect EVERY time I watch it? I love Gerry, absolutely. I've said it many times and will continue to say it, but what is it about this particular movie that captivates me so? I know that Gerry's performance has MUCH to do with it, but even that should have worn off by now. He is magical, and mystical in this role, but there is something SO MUCH MORE. I have resigned myself to the fact that I may never know what the magnetism to this movie is, but I know that if I live to be a hundred and watch it once a month until then I will still be as drawn as I was last night every time I watch it. Gerry IS the Phantom. I know he gave so much of himself to it, but now I have to wonder WHY he was so intused with this role, as well as why I am so enslaved by it. This is a phenomenon that happens very rarely. It has touched so many people so DEEPLY. So many people have been drawn to this site because of this performance. I have often seen fans make comments like, "Why do they persist in Gerry's perfomance in 300, when POTO was is best movie?" So many have said the same thing, and I AGREE. He has created some wonderful characters, but none like the PHANTOM.

He can play anything, but in my heart and many others he will always be THE PHANTOM. Why have so many people been drawn to this character representation by this man? Maybe someone out there has the answer it for me. I just know that I have loved many performances by many artists in the past, but none has ever LIVED in my being like Gerry's PHANTOM.

And, yes, I will continue to love him, absolutely. Because he gives me no other choice.

:whome2:

Yes, Darlin'

YOU!!!!!!

SHIRSAN - YOU ASK THE QUESTIONS THAT IMO CAN NEVER BE TOTALLY ANSWERED !!!

THE HARD QUESTIONS THAT DELVE DEEP INTO OUR " SOULS " !!!

SWANNIE - BRAVO - YOUR SIGGY SAYS IT ALL !!!

IMO - GB GAVE US HIS" SOUL " AND WE TOOK HIM INTO OUR " HEARTS " !!!

DLSPBS - PAT

Edited by DLSPBS

DLSPBS wrote:

He has created some wonderful characters, but none like the PHANTOM.

He can play anything, but in my heart and many others he will always be THE PHANTOM. Why have so many people been drawn to this character representation by this man?

:erik: Oh my dear lady if you only knew how many of us feel the same way without really understanding why! There was only one other movie that touched me (not as much but close) so deeply and it was "Titanic". I own it and watch it many times as well so much so that my hubby always asks "hoping that this time it doesn't sink?" :doh: Many people do not understand why the Phantom gets to me so;... heck comes to that neither do I.. But with Titanic I know why it affects me...my grandmother was supposed to travel on it as a child..Her family in England were well to do and her aunt bought two tickets and intended taking her on the trip but alas they both took ill with a fever and had to cancel.. But I digress.. For me every time I see Gerry no matter where or as what character I always imagine him as :phantom: Erik and he never lets me down with a hint of the Phantom either in a familiar smile or when he looks lost in deep thoughts...To me he is the Phantom and will always be...My entire family think that I am "looney" but as an Aquarius I've gotten long past caring what they think of my obsession with the Phantom of the Opera .

Edited by may

Thank you for your comments and your explanations, may. It’s so nice to have a place where I can talk about Gerry and no one complains about it, lol. I don’t understand why so many people bash his performance in POTO. I thought it was nothing short of amazing and well there’s not enough words to describe Gerry’s performance in POTO. Maybe it’s because too many people insist on comparing Gerry to Michael Crawford (and from what I heard of MC on the Special Features DVD I didn’t care much for his voice, sorry to any MC fans on this site but I didn’t like his voice at all, I actually liked a lot more the little I got to hear from Steve Barton (May he rest in peace). The bashing also probably comes from the fact that Gerry has a different voice than a lot of people are use to, but they don’t get it, different isn’t always bad, and Gerry was acting through his singing. Anyways, it’s nice to know that there are sites out there that appreciate all of the hard work and effort that Gerry put into Phantom, a role that I have read made him want to retire after it was over. Poor Gerry, crying and yelling and getting into a role so deeply and beyond what most people are use to seeing, and he gets a lot of criticism. Gerry, we thought you sounded wonderful, and I believe you sang just like the Phantom should have sang. After all, the Phantom lived under an Opera House and was never professionally trained (he trained himself), and he is a dark and unstable yet sympathetic character, so it makes sense to have someone sing the Phantom’s role in a rough, untrained but beautiful and enchanting voice. And you’re right, may, Gerry does have nice long slender legs. I don’t why, but I like the way his tall but thin body looks in a nice big cape. On a side note, though, I don’t think that Gerry was too handsome to play the Phantom. My sister, the first time she saw him in Phantom, thought that he looked like an ordinary man (but nothing too special) with a mask on one side of his face, and my mother made a comment when we were watching Timeline that his looks had gotten better. Granted, the makeup job wasn’t always good, and his deformity looked worse in certain scenes, but that could also be the lighting, and I’m guessing that plenty of good looking man have played the Phantom on stage (with the exception of the half face deformity). Also, none of the stage Phantoms look as bad as the one in the Leroux novel. So, no, Gerry is not too good looking for this role. Besides all that, I don’t know if there is anyone out there (right now) who could out act Gerry in this role. And you’re right, may, no doubt this movie left Gerry “spent,” and I don’t blame you for having problems with trusting the people who were suppose to catch you (I wouldn’t trust them too much either, lol). I read somewhere that Gerry felt like retiring after this movie, so poor Gerry was left in a total collapse after filming was over, and I’m glad that there are people out there who appreciate all of his hard work and effort and all that he did in this movie. I even read somewhere that Joel had to tell Gerry to not work so hard, thank you for such an amazing job in Phantom, Gerry, we appreciate you and your work in Phantom.

Gerry’s performance was so wonderful that it’s hard to notice everything that he does in a scene, sometimes I have to watch it again because I know I missed something. Gerry uses his voice, his facial expressions, his eyes, and his movements to great effort (sometimes almost too well that it’s impossible to grasp all that he does in just a single viewing, what a truly amazing actor).

I must make one more comment (for the time being because it seems as if there is so much I can say about Gerry’s performance that I’m always seeming to forget to mention something) on the “POTO” song. When Gerry sings to Emmy while she is on the horse “The Phantom of the Opera is there inside your mind” I can’t help but think that he sounds a bit mocking when he sings “Inside your mind.” At this point, the Phantom knows that he totally has Christine under his control, and he’s more than willing to show it.

I also have to comment on how much I loved the way that Gerry turned away from Emmy when he sang “You have come here” in “Music of the Night.” And when Gerry took his cape off before he started singing, oh what such skill and talent and so like a man to leave his clothes all over the floor, lol.

Now I will get to where I left off on my last post, and I will talk about “Why So Silent.” Talk about mocking, Gerry was totally mocking everyone in sight and being very sarcastic, which he does so well and not just in this movie. I also loved Gerry’s arm and hand movements and how he swung the sword in his hand with such skill. I still can’t tell if Gerry swings his wrist when he is swinging his sword before he addresses the two manager. I know that the sword swings, lol. I loved how Gerry delivered the line “Why so silent, good messiers?” I loved how he carried “messiers” (forgive me if I spelled that wrong). I also liked how that long red cape trailed behind him, especially as he was descending the stairs, and didn’t he go down those stairs with a purpose and with the air of one totally in control of the situation. I also love how Gerry says “act” when telling Carlotta that she can’t act and how he says “excel” when he is addressing Christine. Gerry’s hand movements were once again good as he pointed to himself when he was addressing himself as Christine’s teacher. Then, when he finished singing, words alone can’t explain how Gerry then looked at Emmy, his eyes were filled with such longing for Christine, and his mouth was trembling in nervousness, which his eyes also expressed. Then, he notices that ring around her neck, and on the turn of a dime turns angry and suddenly looks spitefully at Christine. Then, in a puff of smoke he’s gone (Don’t go, Gerry, we lovvvvvve you, sorry couldn’t resist).

Can anyone tell me what the Phantom uses to knock out that man so that the Phantom can drive the carriage that takes Christine to the cemetery, or does the Phantom use his hand? Thanks.

Now, on to “Wandering Child.” Gerry sounded so gentle and kind and sweet at first. When he sings “Have you forgotten your angel” he sounds gentle but he is also pulling the guilt trick on Christine, trying to make her feel guilty for turning to Raoul over him. However, you can tell that he is starting to get a bit impatient with Christine when he sings “Come to me, Angel of Music.” He doesn’t sound angry per say, but he isn’t exactly gentle and sweet sounding either.

I really wished that they had not used a stunt double in the swordfight scene (which I have read they did) because Gerry knows how to use a sword. However, I liked the ending of that scene when Gerry gets up, swings his cape back angrily, and says “Now let it be war upon your both.” You can clearly tell that he’s upset by the turn of events, and he wants to get back into control as soon as possible.

I also liked the little scene where the Phantom is adjusting the chains for the chandelier. You can hear him breathing hard, and he does look angry.

Now, onto “Point of No Return,” my second favorite song from this movie and another scene that shows good movement from Gerry (along with his “Music of the Night” scene. Gerry really can move in a seductive and alluring manner, and he sounded seductive and alluring when he was singing (I wish it had been me he was singing to but don’t we all, lol). I loved how Gerry said the words “thoughts“ and “fire” in the lines “No second thoughts“ and “What raging fire shall flood the soul,“ and I loved how he carried the words “descend” and “return” in the lines “Let the dream descend” and “Beyond the point of no return.” Gerry embraced and touched Emmy with pure seduction and desire in this scene as well. I loved how Gerry looked up to Patrick when Emmy began to sing, and I also loved how Gerry looked nervous (which he showed with his eyes, his mouth, and the fact that he clearly took a deep breath when Emmy was singing “Silent, silent.” Then, on the bridge, Gerry took off the cape with pure talent, Gerry really does have undeniable talent and skill with a cape. I loved how Gerry’s and Emmy’s voices blended so well together while they were singing together on the bridge, then Gerry embraced and held Emmy so tenderly (and don’t we all wish that it had been us instead of Emmy he was holding and touching, lol). Then, before Gerry starts singing his “All I Ask of You” version, there is a side view of Gerry, the side of his face with his deformity, and you can see (even with the mask on) that Gerry is crying and that under the mask Gerry’s face is trembling with pure emotion and sadness. Then, Gerry’s singing turns from being seductive to sad and desperate to finally win Christine’s touch, and he is holding Emmy so tenderly and gently while he is singing so sadly and stroking her hair. You can hear a sob come from Gerry after “here” in the line “Say you want me with you here beside you.” Then, Emmy takes the mask off and Gerry looks as her with sadness and disbelief and you can also get the impression that he trying to keep himself from losing his temper with her. Then, when Gerry is cutting the rope (can someone tell me what he cuts the rope with, thanks), he is showing his teeth, and he does look slightly like a beast (not much yet but we haven’t gotten to the lair yet).

Now, we have arrived at “Down Once More/Track Down This Murderer.” Gerry is loud when he begins singing, and he does sound a bit beastly (but still beautiful) and you can tell that insanity is really starting to kick in (if it hasn’t done so already, lol, but he really loses it during this scene). Gerry shakes Emmy slightly and is breathing heavily after he asks her “Why?” He really is trying to control his temper with her, but he clearly is not in the best of moods either. Then, after the scene where Raoul narrowly escapes death (you really do have to feel for that guy as well, just like the Phantom willing to do whatever it takes for his woman), Gerry is softer sounding (he clearly has had some time to cool off a bit). He sings softly with both sadness and anger when he is telling Christine about this mother. Gerry’s emotions are turning on a dime as he sounds aggressive when he sings “An eternity of this” (while wisely pointing at his face, some more good acting), then sounds more calm and gentle in the very next line “Before your eyes.” Gerry also gives a slight bare of his teeth when he is singing “Pity comes too late.” When Emmy is telling him that the true distortion is in his soul, Gerry looks so sad, but he quickly cheers up with the arrival of Paoul (hey they have Gerik so why not Paoul). Gerry sounds so mocking when he is addressing Patrick, and he points at Patrick and Gerry does some more of that movement with his arms. Then, Gerry holds Emmy in a way that is clearly mocking Patrick. Gerry is smiling (in a sadistic way) and having a good time until Patrick sings “Have some compassion.” Then, Gerry quickly turns angry when he says “The world showed no compassion to me.” I also loved how Gerry turned away from Patrick when Patrick was trying to talk him into letting Christine go, before the lines concerning showing compassion. Then, when Gerry pulls on the level, he is back to having a good time, and he gives another sadistic smile.

Now, my favorite line from this whole movie, I simply love how Gerry says “Monsieur, I bid you welcome” especially the word “welcome.” Then, Gerry walks into the lake waving his arms and being totally mocking and sadistic. I also loved how Gerry mockingly acted all innocent when he put his hand to his chest while he was singing “Did you think that I would harm her?” Then, Gerry sounds very beastly again (but still lovely at the same time to listen to if that makes sense) when he is telling Christine that she has a decision to make, and I loved how Emmy backed away with a horrified expression on her face when Gerry is approaching her and singing so loudly and so harshly. Then, another emotional switch from Gerry, and he looks sad when Emmy sings “Those tears I might have shed for your dark fate grow cold and turn to tears of hate.” Next, another emotional switch from Gerry, and he gives a slight nod of his head and you can tell from his face that he is thinking “All right, now it’s time for Plan B, let’s bring in the noose” (sorry sick sense of humor but that’s what he did). Gerry bares his teeth again when he is singing “Too late for prayers and useless pity.” Gerry shows his physical strength and mocks Raoul when he ties Patrick’s hand at the level of his eyes when Gerry is singing “At the level of your eyes.” Gerry is totally loud and harsh and beastly sounding all the way to his final “This is the Point of No Return.” Gerry’s face, with the help of his deformity, looks like that of a beast, and Gerry is enjoying himself. He truly looks sadistic and insane. And Gerry also gives us some more movements with his arms and he heaves his shoulder up and down at one point. Gerry sounds angry and impatient when he tells Christine to make his choice and pulls on the noose around poor Patrick’s neck. I read in an interview that Gerry almost broke Patrick’s neck in this scene, but Patrick didn’t complain, my up most appreciation to you Patrick, and I must congratulate you for taking this scene without no whining.

Then, Gerry goes from enjoying himself to being sad when Emmy starts to approach him while she is singing “Pitiful creature of darkness what kind of life have you known/God give me the courage to show you/You are not alone.” Gerry’s eyes truly look sad. Then, after Emmy kisses him twice, Gerry begins to do some of that excellent crying of his, tears coming down his face and his sobbing can be heard. When my mom saw this scene, she said that “It was too much for him to handle,” and Gerry made that clear. Then, Gerry tries to sound strong when he tells them to leave, but he is walking bent over, emotionally broken. I also liked how Gerry gave a slight shake of his head while he is telling them to leave, and we also have some more of those movements with his arms.

Then, Gerry sings softly and sounds broken and like a little boy when he is singing to his music box. Then, you can still hear his love for Christine when he sings “Christine, I love you,” carrying the “love” nicely. His eyes are a bit bright when he sees Christine approaching him (still with some hope that she will stay with him), but then he begins to cry again when Christine turns to leave and the Phantom finally realizes that Christine is not his. Then, Gerry tries to find some strength again (but you know he is broken in the inside) when he sings “It’s over now/The Music of the Night,” and Gerry is about ready to move those arms again. Gerry ends the movie on a high note, and he looks beastly again (but I don’t mean that in a negative way, it’s just the way he twists his face along with his deformity) when he is breaking the mirror. Then, Gerry walks through the mirror and pulls the curtain down behind him.

What an amazing movie and what an amazing performance Gerry gave. What am I saying? Gerry’s performance in POTO was beyond amazing, from beginning to end. I don’t know which scene is my favorite because they were all good. All of Gerry’s scenes by themselves grabbed my attention, but all of Gerry’s scenes together in one beautiful but sad movie stole the movie for me. Emmy and Patrick, along with the rest of the cast, did a good job as well, but it was Gerry that made this movie for me, and it’s Gerry’s performance in this movie that makes me want to watch this version of the POTO over and over again. People can bash Gerry as much as they want to, but we know talent when we see it, and Gerry is talent in a way that mere words are not enough to describe. Thank you for taking the time to read all this.

Gerry’s emotions are turning on a dime as he sounds aggressive when he sings “An eternity of this” (while wisely pointing at his face, some more good acting), then sounds more calm and gentle in the very next line “Before your eyes.” Gerry also gives a slight bare of his teeth when he is singing “Pity comes too late.” When Emmy is telling him that the true distortion is in his soul, Gerry looks so sad, but he quickly cheers up with the arrival of Paoul (hey they have Gerik so why not Paoul). Gerry sounds so mocking when he is addressing Patrick, and he points at Patrick and Gerry does some more of that movement with his arms. Then, Gerry holds Emmy in a way that is clearly mocking Patrick. Gerry is smiling (in a sadistic way)

My brother and brother in-law are Scorpio's and they too can change character on the turn of a dime...it is their nature to go from smiling to angry then to sarcastic in one fell swoop! I once asked my brother why I had never seen that side of him (angry) and he answered "and you never will!" because he loves his little sister too much to expose her to that dangerous side of his Scorpio nature...the nature of the beast as some might say...They are loving and adorable but don't push them or suffer the sting of their tails! :whome2:

:erik:

His eyes are a bit bright when he sees Christine approaching him (still with some hope that she will stay with him), but then he begins to cry again when Christine turns to leave

That was the look that broke the camel's back for me...when I saw his tears flowing like a river down his face...mine did as well...He looked so little so helpless like a child...

I don't know how Emmy could do that scene without breaking down I often wonder if she went to him after the director yelled "Cut!" to comfort him for his fantastic job? To my mind no one else can do justice to a sequel and ALW knows only too well...I only wish that JS would be directing again but I guess he is too ill...

Hi, may, I’m enjoying having someone who I can discuss POTO and Gerry’s emotionally charged performance with, my sister is more of a Patrick fan, and she isn’t really the kind of person you can talk deeply with when it comes to movies. I was born in June, what am I?

I would love to see a sequel to this movie, but some of the rumors that I have heard concerning what ALW has done so far on a sequel for the stage has made me a bit upset. There are things that makes the Phantom just plain creepy and not sympathetic as I enjoyed seeing in the 2004 movie. Also, I read on another site that ALW had totally ruined the character of Raoul. In the plot, Christine has to go make some money because Raoul has squandered it all way and he is a drunk. Also, there is the question of whether or not their child is the Phantom’s or Raoul’s. Note to ALW, Raoul can make a baby just as well as the Phantom can, and I don’t like the idea that the Phantom was with Christine because even though they had a connection it was more of a spiritual connection (in my opinion) than a connection that would lead to Christine wanting to go to bed with the Phantom. Some people think differently, of course, but I really don’t like reading E/C stories anymore because people are always making Raoul into the villain, which isn’t right. Another note to ALW, don’t make Raoul someone to hate, he loves Christine too, just in a different way than the Phantom does. Hopefully these are just rumors because I really would like to see a sequel, especially if Gerry, Emmy, and Patrick reprise their roles. I would like the Phantom and Raoul to come to some sort of understanding (not at the beginning of the movie, of course, as that would be unrealistic), and I would like to see the Phantom still retain a bit of a dark side. I’ve read too many fan fiction stories based off Gerik in which they make him too whimpy or too fluffy, and that isn’t the Phantom. Gerry’s Phantom is not the watered down Phantom everyone makes him out to be; he just isn’t totally evil, that’s all. I mean, Gerry’s Phantom killed a few people and set the opera house on fire, and lets not forget forced Christine to make a choice by holding the life of Raoul by the thread of a noose, yeah that’s totally watered down. Gerry’s Phantom may not had been as evil per say as the Phantoms from those horror movies but he is still dark and sinister and kind of creepy (but not too much that it’s a total turn off), and he is a bit of pyscho stalker. Gerry’s Phantom is both dark and sympathetic, and I prefer that kind of Phantom. I’ve seen the 1989 horror movie version (a decent movie), but I didn’t like the Phantom in it. I had no sympathy for him, and I was rooting for Christine when she fought back against him. I was like, “You go, girl, kill that bastard.” Does the Phantom have to kill a few people in the sequel? I don’t know, but I think he should always be a bit dark. I would also like to see Christine get more of a backbone and not be so passive (no offense to Emmy but she was kind of passive at times). I would have gone in the water after the Phantom if he was trying to hang the man that I was engaged to. I wouldn’t have just stood there out of the rock like Emmy did until the very end (maybe that was just bad direction, I don’t know, but I would like to see more from the character of Christine). Christine in the original novel had more of a backbone, but was still vulnerable to the Phantom, which I liked, even though I didn’t really care for either Christine or Raoul in the novel. Raoul was at times cruel towards Christine, and he whined and complained too much. Christine called Erik a monster even towards the end, and I’m surprised Erik didn’t react to that (even though he did love her). The best part of the novel (no offense to those who loved it and without it there would be no Gerik today) was at the end in the lair when Erik was totally insane. The novel got real exciting then. So, even though Emmy was a bit passive in the movie version, on a general level I prefer her version of Christine to the original, and the movie version of Raoul was a big improvement from the novel version. I liked both the novel version and the movie version of Erik, and I kind of wished that they had showed some the dark novel version of Erik in the movie while mixing it nicely with the emotionally charged and sympathetic performance that Gerry gave us.

Now, back to the ALW sequel, if it doesn’t end in E/C, if it doesn’t ruin either the characters of the Phantom or Raoul, if the Phantom remains both dark and sympathetic, if it shown that Raoul can also come to understand the Phantom and vice versa, and if it has Christine with more fire (but not so much that she becomes a b****), I most likely would enjoy it as much as I enjoy the 2004 movie.

Gerran wrote:

I was born in June, what am I?

If you were born anywhere from May22-June 21 you are a Gemini

if you were born from June 22- July 22 you are a Cancer (sign) Lol!

"And you’re right, May, Gerry does have nice long slender legs."

That is what drew my attention the first time seeing him in those black slacks and long Opera coat in black velvet...when he stood up after replacing his mask his legs look especially long and slender!

ALW has a new show like "American Idol" and if it goes well he will be coming back next season and instead of choosing another "Maria" for his broadway show "The problem of Maria" he will be using his next project "Phantom"...it all hangs in the balance...

Hi again, may. I was born on June 5, so I’m a Gemini. What are you? When it comes to what first attracted me to Gerry, I don’t remember. I first watched POTO when I was in high school and at that time I mostly thought that the movie was pretty good for being mostly singing. Now, though, I try to look and think more deeply about the movie. I’m about the start my third year in college, so I’m a little older and wiser, or at least I like to think I am, lol.

I love Gerry’s eyes. They are so beautiful, like the sea, and they totally draw you in. You see into Gerry’s soul when you look into his eyes, especially in the Phantom. My nickname for Gerry in the Phantom is “sad eyes” because his eyes mostly look sad. I really saw into the Phantom’s eyes through Gerry’s eyes. Simply amazing. I also like the way his legs are so long but slender. Talk about seductive movement in “Music of the Night,” and that’s before we add his amazing, intoxicating, seductive, mesmerizing, alluring (and I can go on and on) singing. And then we add those emotion filled eyes, and we have a perfect scene. I especially like Gerry’s legs when they are within the folds of a cape. Those legs looked nice in that long coat he was wearing in Dracula (I really wish they had not cut out so many of his scenes because they made the movie). Gerry’s whole body looks great in that cape he wears in Phantom, and isn’t that a nice cape? I want one just like it, lol. I loved the Phantom’s customs. Nice vest (I liked the color and the design on it, nice capes (everyone that he wore, his Red Death outfit wasn’t my favorite but I liked his mask and the way his cape trailed behind him; his regular black cape had that nice white or off white lining in it; and his Don Juan cape was another one I wish I had one of; but I think his regular black cape was my favorite), nice outfit for Don Juan (especially the coat he wore, everyone talks about his pants, but I mostly like his coat, it had some nice embroidery on it).

I love Gerry’s voice. I like to listen to the soundtrack. I notice most of the things he did in his singing from listening to the soundtrack because when I’m watching the movie it’s hard to notice the small things he does because I’m also concentrating on his amazing facial expressions, his eyes, and his movements. If anything, Gerry overloads us in Phantom, and it’s only from watching the movie a million times (maybe not quite that many, lol) that I notice as much as I do. Gerry is so talented and it’s a shame it’s too late for him to receive a Best Actor reward for his work in Phantom (truly the best acting I’ve ever seen).

I can’t wait to see what ALW does next because I am willing to give him a chance, and I would love to see the legend of the Phantom continue. If you read anything concerning the sequel, could you please post it for me? Thanks. As always, it’s a joy to write to you about Gerik.

P.S. What was one of your first reaction to Gerry’s “Music of the Night.” Before I really started to listen to the pure emotion in it, one of my first thoughts was that he could tell you to murder someone and make it sound beautiful (morbid I know but my dad has a morbid sense of humor and I sometimes show it).

P.S. What was one of your first reaction to Gerry’s “Music of the Night.”

The first time I heard it I had goose pimples all over . Nothing has changed with my reactions to this movie or it's music I think if anything it only grows stronger...As I say he was and always will be the only Phantom for me...Like Judy Garland was the only Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz...Gerry will remain the eternal Phantom!

You're absoluty right. Gerry is my one and only Phantom, and it will be almost impossible for someone to be a better Phantom in my opinion. Gerry is a rarity when it comes to actors as most of them don't have his intensity or his passion. I can't but notice that many actors (while the movies are pretty good) are flat compared to Gerry, don't let that get to your head, Gerry, lol. Plus, Gerry is the only actor who has overloaded me as much as he did in Phantom. His voice, his eyes, his facial expressions, his body movements, it's impossible to take in all of those things at the same time. Gerry could have given an amazing performance in POTO with his voice alone (truly a pleasure to listen to, thank you whoever can up with the brillant idea of inventing the repeat button on CD players). Since listening to Gerry sing as much as I have, I have to say I have yet to hear another singer who touches me as much as Gerry does. Most of the other music I listen to I mostly listen to the beat and even though I do memorize some of the lyrics in non-Gerry songs, the singers don't have the same captivating, deep touching voice that Gerry has, once again Gerry don't let that head of yours get big. Gerry's voice alone is amazing acting but add the facial expressions, those emotion filled eyes, that seductive body movement, those lovely long slender legs (just for you, may), the way he works a cape (best cape work I've ever seen), and the way he moves his arms, and you have a performance in POTO that words can only go so far to explain.

Some people think differently, of course, but I really don’t like reading E/C stories anymore because people are always making Raoul into the villain, which isn’t right. Another note to ALW, don’t make Raoul someone to hate, he loves Christine too, just in a different way than the Phantom does. Hopefully these are just rumors because I really would like to see a sequel, especially if Gerry, Emmy, and Patrick reprise their roles.

May I jump in? I just decided to read the last couple posts on this thread. I don't know what the sequel is all about. I haven't read "Phantom of Manhattan" nor do I visit other sites to learn of rumors.

But I wanted to mention that I too feel that Raoul's character is not a villain. It is a love triangle between the three main characters with Christine in the middle. Too many stories have Raoul as the bad guy and really he is not. He is only acting out in a way any normal man in love would do when he realizes he has competition. In Sadie Montgomery's "Phoenix of the Opera" series Raoul is not a villain. Sadie developed Raoul's character throughout the four books and I appreciate the fact he was a noble, believable husband to Christine and dealing with a past that was not to remain in the past. At the end of the series, Erik and Raoul are basically brothers. That handling of Raoul made me so happy. And I am a diehard Gerik fan! I too hope in the sequel that ALW wisens up to this fact.

Now, back to the ALW sequel, if it doesn’t end in E/C, if it doesn’t ruin either the characters of the Phantom or Raoul, if the Phantom remains both dark and sympathetic, if it shown that Raoul can also come to understand the Phantom and vice versa, and if it has Christine with more fire (but not so much that she becomes a b****), I most likely would enjoy it as much as I enjoy the 2004 movie.

I wholeheartedly agree! LOL

All I know is what Andrew Lloyd Webber has said to date and that is this "The next Phantom...not Phantom of Manhaten but Phantom another time another place is even better than the original!" He swears that after the many changes he has made it is an entirely differant story...I have a lot of faith in this talented man. He took the time to answer my fan letter to him a few years back and even sent me a CD of "Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat" as a thank-you for my letter about POTO. I wrote to Joel too but never recieved a reply but then again I heard that he is not well...I also wrote to Gerry and got a signed photo of him in his "Red Death" outfit from the movie and a letter from his handlers saying that they would forward it to him...

In my mind no one else could ever capture our hearts the way Gerry did with his Phantom...I'm sorry but he is for all time my one and only Erik...

Could someone please PM me the address to write to Andrew? This is something I have been wanting to do since I first saw the play in the early 90's. I'm very sad that so many phans are condemning the new show, based on so little information. The ugliness and hatred in regards the mere IDEA of a sequel is sad to me. It is obvious that out there in the professional world, a lot of people can't stand ALW. I do not understand why this is so.

Anyway, if anyone has the address... please PM it me.

Swannie