Gerard Butler GALS

7/25 - Gerard Butler sets sail for small role in Watchmen

from: http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/07/25/gerar...tchmen/#more-68

Gerard Butler Sets Sail For Small Role In ‘Watchmen’

Published by Shawn Adler on Friday, July 25, 2008 at 8:18 pm.

Walking around Comic-Con, and talking to the fans in attendance, it’s clear there are only two movies coming out next year: “Watchmen” and “Everything Else.” Such is the anticipation level for Zack Snyder’s adaptation of what is generally considered the greatest graphic novel ever written. Could it possibly get any higher?

Try this on for size, Gerard Butler opined from atop the San Diego Convention Center: “The script is one of the most perfect scripts I’ve ever read,” he said. “One of the most beautifully written, interesting scripts.” Oh wait, he wasn’t actually referring to the “Watchmen” script. He was referring to 20 PAGES of it that didn’t even make it to the movie!

To be more specific, he was of course referring to “The Tales of the Black Freighter,” the comic within the comic in the “Watchmen” universe, which will find its way as an animated short onto the “Watchmen” DVD. But does he wish it was in the movie proper?

"I think everybody could have a different view on that because it does exist within the framework of the comic,” he said. “It is a comic book within a comic book and can be taken separately.”

Butler will star as the castaway obsessed with an image of a ghost pirate ship, who deteriorates mentally and physically while trying to make it back home. It’s a powerful story which mirrors much of the main action in the plot, but that also stands on its own, Butler asserted

“The story is such a powerful, genius witnessing of a descent into madness - being the person that it’s happening to and have it happening in a normal way,” he said. “He looks at it with a normal head so you can understand how it happens. In which case you can take yourself and the audience a long way.

For those who only know Butler as the King in “300,” it’s striking to hear the Scottish actor speak, his voice a thick Glasgow brogue. The voice of the castaway will be different, he said.

“It’s different. There’s something about period that you do that you sort of naturally slip into a different voice cause he is from a different time, he does speak differently,” Butler revealed. “And also it’s not the way that I would normally speak.”

Butler indicated he has only recorded one session, with several more yet to go.

The video, full article, and Comments at MTV Splash

Tales of the Black Freighter animated short feature voiced by Gerry, will be released to DVD on March 10, 2009, 5 days after Watchmen starts its theatrical run. More in the article originally posted to The Butler News on 5/27/08: here

Barb,

Unfortunately the video is not accessible to me. Is it possible for it to be placed into Multimedia please? Thanks.

It worked fine for me...loved hearing gerry talk about being so excited about something else he is involved in.....I love seeing him so happy and excited.

It may be restricted to North American viewers and not available to those outside the US. I've just tried again and it's still marked as inaccessible to me.

You can certainly tell he has been home. The accent is BACK in full force. No American accent there, boy. Sounds GREAT, looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I am so excited for the The Tales of the Black Freighter!!!!! I am already beyond excited for Watchmen to be made into a movie (HUGE FAN!) and now that Gerry will play the captain in Black Reighter...I can hardly wait. It's such a dark and tragic story and now to know it will be Gerry's voice. Words can't express my excitment.

Thanks Barb. :kisswink:

So, am I understanding this correctly? Watchmen is going to be in the theaters but Black Freighter is something just on the DVD?

I have to admit, I'm completely unfamiliar with the Watchmen comic book series.

Zach Snyder talked about this at ComCon and stated it would be on the DVD release. It's animated and Gerry provides the voice.

Thanks Barb. :kisswink:

So, am I understanding this correctly? Watchmen is going to be in the theaters but Black Freighter is something just on the DVD?

I have to admit, I'm completely unfamiliar with the Watchmen comic book series.

Hey,

Ok here is my inner comic nerd showing but, Black Freighter is a comic story within Watchmen, which is actually very important to the comic but is a story in and of itself.

It's like imagine a movie that talks about a book. In this movie this fictional book plays a huge part in the theme and subplots going on. So said fictional book will now get it's own movie. I hope I am explaining it right. Here is a link that goes into further detail, mind you spoilers will be present. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen#Tale...Black_Freighter

The Black Freighter will be a direct to DVD comic movie that will be out when Watchmen hits movie theaters March 2009

I know comics are not for everyone, but just to let everyone know Watchmen (and essentially The Black Freighter) is known as the most important graphic novel to date which is really deep and takes a look at society and morality. It was featured in Time magazines 100 Best English Language Novels from 1923-present.

Edited by Jenny85

I just feel like Christmas has come early. I have been so stoked about RocknRolla ever since I started reading about it. I saw the trailer for the Watchmen at the Dark Knight premier (another movie that I had been so excited about) and that looks so awesome,too.

There are some great movies coming out,Gals! I feel like it's been awhile since I've had *so much* to look forward to seeing.

Great Interview!! Cannot wait for Watchmen!!! Looks like another hit from Zack Snyder!

Hey,

Ok here is my inner comic nerd showing but, Black Freighter is a comic story within Watchmen, which is actually very important to the comic but is a story in and of itself.

It's like imagine a movie that talks about a book. In this movie this fictional book plays a huge part in the theme and subplots going on. So said fictional book will now get it's own movie. I hope I am explaining it right. Here is a link that goes into further detail, mind you spoilers will be present. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen#Tale...Black_Freighter

The Black Freighter will be a direct to DVD comic movie that will be out when Watchmen hits movie theaters March 2009

I know comics are not for everyone, but just to let everyone know Watchmen (and essentially The Black Freighter) is known as the most important graphic novel to date which is really deep and takes a look at society and morality. It was featured in Time magazines 100 Best English Language Novels from 1923-present.

That makes sense! Thank you for explaining it to me. I felt a bit :confused: trying to get it on my own. But now I think I got it. :kisswink:

Edited by discoveringme
To add quote

I agee about the accent!

The Tales of the Black Freighter will be released to DVD separately, March 10, 2009, 5 days after Watchmen starts it's theatrical release... read about it in The Butler News here

I'm not a comic book fan either and know absolutely nothing about The Watchmen series so unfortunately I can't seem to get that excited about a DVD with Gerbears voice that doesn't sound like his voice and somewhat a very short part anyway! For those of you who can.......That's great! :pointy:

I so want to see him make a great movie....like maybe Burns or some historical piece that will get him an oscar nod.....James McAvoy did it right! I'm hoping G does too!

:wave: Frannie

“The story is such a powerful, genius witnessing of a descent into madness - being the person that it’s happening to and have it happening in a normal way,” he said. “He looks at it with a normal head so you can understand how it happens. In which case you can take yourself and the audience a long way.

This sounds exactly the type of role I wanted to see him do...A person who plunges into madness not unlike Dr.Jekyll & Mr. Hyde! :bonk: Just a question if you will...is it to be a movie set in the style of "Sin City" and "Donnie Darko" animated or a real movie or a comic? I'm so confused...After seeing his character :reddeath2: the Phantom on the edge of madness they must have known he was made for this role...Gerry does mad so well! :grrr: I also heard while watching Comic Con tonight on Tech tv that none of the guys gets killed off so they are already talking sequel! WOW THAT WAS FAST!

I understand a lot of people are anxious to see Gerry take on a role that may be more historical or dramatic, but at the same time G is his own man who has chosen his roles pretty carefully and can't be compared to that of a younger actor with entirely different appeals. I would love to see him get an Oscar nod b/c we all know he IS THAT talented, but he will go about it in his own way. I in no way want to be argumentative with any one's post but I just hope that we all remain supportive of what he has done and chooses to do without comparing his decisions to that of another actor. We can always hope to see him in a certain type of role, but I don't want him to emulate someone else's career. I hope i am making sense.

As for it being a small part, yeah it is which is why I kind of like it. He has already proven how great he can be in an action role (which is why I never felt the need for him to have a big part on Watchmen) so doing the voice of a comic which will have a lot of exposure seemed like a really great idea. Plenty of A list stars have done voices in comics so this is no difference.

Also, I could listen to Gerry read the phonebook for hours! He is going to be using his normal voice right?

Edited by Jenny85

Just a question if you will...is it to be a movie set in the style of "Sin City" and "Donnie Darko" animated or a real movie or a comic? I'm so confused...

I have the same question, May, if it's sort of like what 300 did with all the CGI/blue screen stuff but the actors were still real or more animated perhaps. I suppose I should go watch the Comic Con stuff about it now. :lol: A good excuse to go watch Zach Snyder. :D

I'm getting very intrigued by all of this now.

I find it interesting the whole cross section of roles that Gerry is being offered and choosing to do. Just since I've been following him, he's done a musical, a drama, a romantic comedy, an historical piece , a kids movie, a thriller, a sports movie, an action movie, a voice over, not to mention all the new stuff coming up AND the great parts he's had prior to that. This is certainly a guy that doesn't want to be pigeon holed. The great thing about all these roles is that while not all will appeal to everybody, they'll continue to appeal to different types of audiences. So more and more folks will get to see him. Even now, when I tell someone about him, I'll pick and choose which movie I mention.

I also get a kick out of going to see movies that I might not have seen otherwise. It's been a lot of fun.

Hey everyone,

I am pretty sure it is going to be straight animation. I heard it might be close to japanese style, but I don't know. I am not familiar with styles of animation.

Great intereview! Thanks for sharing it. I could listen to that man speak for hours . . . and GOD he looks amazing! That shirt is driving me NUTS!!!!

I don't hear the accent as thick again . . . I still hear it as very Americanized. Some words, yes, but he has sounded the same for the past year - to my ear, anyway.

It'll be great to hear Gerry do an anime voice, or animation or whatever. (Anime is the Japanese style).

Best part? "You give it to Zack Snyder and POOF!" So adorable.

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

So glad to hear the Scottish accent is back in full force. He looks great but I sure miss his beautiful hair. I suppose it is the summer cut. LOL. He seems really relaxed and happy. Love to see him smiling and happy. Can't wait to see the movie.

geara