Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Stef with an F

7/25 - Gerard Butler Denies Involvement in the 300 Sequel

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/gera...0-sequel-no.php

Posted by Brian C. Gibson (brian@filmschoolrejects.com) on July 25, 2008

While sitting in the press conference for Guy Ritchie’s hopefully triumphant return into manhood, RocknRolla, Gerard Butler was asked about his possible involvement in the sequel/prequel for 300.

While Butler very quickly said that he was contacted by the studio, he was also very quick to give an answer. Butler said that the studio contacted him for involvement, but when asked if he was actually going to reprise his role of Leonidas in some way…he gave a resounding “No”. When asked further about the issue, he laughed and just said “I will just leave it at that.”

I actually think this is a good move. Butler is a guy who is always really proud of his work, and why fall into the trap of a unnecessary role. For how much I really liked 300, I am more looking forward to watching it more…rather than seeing a sequel or prequel. Also, I would probably be happier if Zach Snyder wasn’t involved as a director. The guy has a spotless track record so far and I’d hate for him to follow up what looks to be a masterpiece in Watchmen, with 300: The Deuce.

I must say... I agree. I hope Gerry will be busy with other original projects.

Swannie

I must say... I agree. I hope Gerry will be busy with other original projects.

Swannie

Me too Swannie.

I'm glad that he's leaving well alone. Never go over old ground, it just doesn't work.

I think it also has to do with the training regimine. He is too busy with projects to devote another year to getting into shape and filming and promoting a movie.

:hmm:

But it does ask the question: The best part of 300 was Gerard Butler, and since in my opinion he carried the movie, will a prequel or sequel without him possibly succeed? And if 300 has so far earned 3/4 of a Billion dollars just how much will they offer to turn his NO into a YES?

It will depend on the storyline. I'm sure they'll do just fine whichever direction they take. Best of wishes to Zach Snyder on this one.

I'm glad Gerry's not doing anything with Leonidas in the sequel,though. It would have made the whole thing jump the shark, IMO.

I don't know about sequels or presequels but just for my own satisfaction....didn't another continuation or sequel be it whatever....of Batman break all records and I've even heard talk of Oscars!!?? I don't get it. What would be so wrong for Gerry and Zach to ride the same wave. I hate to say this but in my humble opinion 300 is the movie that finally opened the eyes of eveyone to what we of course already knew and that of course is Gerard Butler "the actor" This movie is still talked about today and for that matter still playing on a lot of pay channels where I live! I know I'm going to rub some of you the wrong way but even though I loved them his last two movies were far from blockbusters! Quite frankly I don't see any other that he's made heading for that either. Even though RNR looks like it's going to be great it's still not a just Gerry movie...there are a whole array of actors that will be carrying this movie....I don't see The Ugly Truth breaking any records either....It's a romcom that has ben done over and over....not saying I won't love it but that's just because I'm a devout Gerry fan! I'm not sure about Game....That could be something like 300...I am really hoping that it could be another 300 for Gerry... It's the types of films that he chooses to make and that he's happy with I guess...I just hate to see him miss the train so to speak! He's overdo for some bigtime recognition in my mind! I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers here but these are my feelings on this subject. I just want to see our guy hit the Red Carpet after he has an Oscar in his hand! He needs one great movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

:D Frannie...........Alright come and get me! :bonk:

Reprise his role of Leonidas. I really had to think about this one. Sequels are really a 50/50 shot of making it. I don't think a movie could be made better than 300 in showing us just who Leonidas is.

I just don't know what else they think they could show us of such a king. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I think in order for a sequel to even come out almost as good as the first you definately need all the same people.

There are a few exceptions to prequels/sequels being successful, but the majority of them aren't.

I am completely opposed to anything else being done with 300.

What would be the point?

A bit of backstory was included already showing young Leonidas preparing for manhood and his role as King.

We all know what happens in the end, so where would Gerry fit in anyway?

Zach created a masterpiece of Frank Miller's work.

The cast was excellent and the film made a fortune.

Why toy with success?

Gerry seems to know exactly what he wants and in what direction he plans to go with his career.

He is intelligent and informed enough to make solid decisions.

I like his "been there and done that" attitude.

He seems to seek variety in his roles and that's a good thing IMO.

Smart boy!

We have a lot to look forward to already, and I'm sure many wonderful surprises just around the corner.

Frannie, I think it would be too hard on Gerry's body at this point to go through that gut busting physical regime again. IMO, it would be very unhealthy for him... but I'm sure he has his own set of reasons for not wanting to be involved in a sequel/prequel.

Swannie

You all have a good point ....Guess I'm just wishing and waiting for his star to REALLY shine! I know in our eyes it already does but the rest of the world has GOT to catch up! I'm sorry to say this but there are still people who ask me "Who's Gerry Butler" and that freaken kills me! Everyone in the world knows Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise and so on and so on............Gerard Butler?....Not so much! What movie do you guys think is his greatest and got him noticed of all time? Just wondering!

;) Frannie

Edited to say......BTW Smarty....Nice siggy!

Edited by ladyfran

I agree that working on this type of movie again could be very hard on Gerry physically. It took him months of recovery time after 300 to stop feeling pain and discomfort from that experience. However, I frankly see no reason to muck around with a masterpiece. (OK, Gerry AND 300 are masterpieces, but I'm referring to the film). I was a fan of the first Matrix, the first Superman movie, the first Spiderman, the first Terminator and the first Jurassic Park. In my opinion, the sequels to all of them were awful!! I want to see Gerry receive the stardom and success he deserves. But I don't think the Prequel/sequel route is the right one to take.....but I refuse to kick sand on Frannie's shoes!

Suzie

I remember when this topic came up weeks ago and I told a couple of my friends how I hoped he would stay away from the project. I didn't want him to revist a past role. The thought of the abuse his body took the first time around and doing it for a second time . . . not a happy thought. I also hope to think that Gerry wouldn't do something just for the money when he doesn't feel he wants to do a project. So in short, in this case I hope he sticks to his guns and goes with his heart and not the old wallet.

Thanks about the siggy, LadyFran.

I just adore the Gus. :kiss:

I'm with you on wishing I didn't have to "explain" Gerry to people.

As for him getting noticed, 300 gave him the most exposure, but I'm sure that was still a limited audience.

It probably opened many doors.

I imagine that payday paved the way for Evil Twins.

One day that perfect role will happen, I am confident.

Now to add to the confusion:

perhaps a yes to 300?

Have they talked to you about the sequel to '300'? It's strange because you all died.

Butler: They've mentioned it and we'll leave it at that. It's a very interesting idea, I have to say and I'm as floored as you are.

:hmm:

I will say it again - 3/4 billion dollars earned by 300, just how much would it take to cinvince GB about the prequesl or sequel?

:ohbaby:

I think this topic was discussed on a thread a few weeks ago, wasn't it? I still stick to my original opinion; that they (the powers that be) should just leave well enough alone. 300 was a ground breaking movie because it was something that we had never seen before. Now that we have seen it and Hollywood has made a boatload of cash and taken notice, they (Hollywood) would probably try to use the same formula that made 300 so sucessful in the first place (rehashing the first one). From reading and seeing other Gerry interviews, it sounds like he likes a challenge and a rehash does not sound like a challenge to me. It sounds too safe. Been there, done that! Our Ger likes to take risks! And personally, I live to see him try something fresh and new!!! I think as an actor it expands his already broad range. He has always maintained that a script has to speak to him. I guess the idea or the script just didn't. He knows what he is doing and I trust and support his choices. I am sooooo looking forward to his next project! Maybe BURNS will finally see the light of day?! Lets hope so! :2cents::)

Guest Nay

A seemingly empathic answer. Good to know.

I wonder if it has also been given to Andrew Lloyd Webber?

I loved 300 but I am really really happy that Gerry is going to say no to the prequel/sequel. I agree with Swannie and others that it would be very hard on Gerry's body to have to recreate King Leonidas once more. Gerry is at great point in his career he doesn't need to be tied down to one character. Although I would love to see him be the Phantom once more.

Anyway, a great decision by Gerry. :yay:

geara

I would just like to make it clear that all remarks made by me about how awful most sequels are, do NOT apply to the Phantom!!! If Gerry wants to do THAT, I am so there! (Same goes for The Stranger! I want to know what happened to him and Frankie and Lizzie!)

Edited by Texas gramma

I don't know about sequels or presequels but just for my own satisfaction....didn't another continuation or sequel be it whatever....of Batman break all records and I've even heard talk of Oscars!!?? I don't get it. What would be so wrong for Gerry and Zach to ride the same wave. I hate to say this but in my humble opinion 300 is the movie that finally opened the eyes of eveyone to what we of course already knew and that of course is Gerard Butler "the actor" This movie is still talked about today and for that matter still playing on a lot of pay channels where I live! I know I'm going to rub some of you the wrong way but even though I loved them his last two movies were far from blockbusters! Quite frankly I don't see any other that he's made heading for that either. Even though RNR looks like it's going to be great it's still not a just Gerry movie...there are a whole array of actors that will be carrying this movie....I don't see The Ugly Truth breaking any records either....It's a romcom that has ben done over and over....not saying I won't love it but that's just because I'm a devout Gerry fan! I'm not sure about Game....That could be something like 300...I am really hoping that it could be another 300 for Gerry... It's the types of films that he chooses to make and that he's happy with I guess...I just hate to see him miss the train so to speak! He's overdo for some bigtime recognition in my mind! I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers here but these are my feelings on this subject. I just want to see our guy hit the Red Carpet after he has an Oscar in his hand! He needs one great movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

:D Frannie...........Alright come and get me! :bonk:

I'm with you kiddo. Its a very good thing that I'm not in charge of GB's career, because I would not allow him a minutes' rest!! :cunning: I have a dozen projects I would love for him to do (admittedly mostly historical.......so shoot me. :kisswink: ) He is just so perfect for historical parts, although I realize that he needs to do a wide variety of roles. Leonidas was a dream role and he gave it his all. I would have so loved to see him do something like Gladiator (although Russell did a fine job) or Braveheart. Guess I just see him in every great historical role, regardless of who actually plays the part.

You all have a good point ....Guess I'm just wishing and waiting for his star to REALLY shine! I know in our eyes it already does but the rest of the world has GOT to catch up! I'm sorry to say this but there are still people who ask me "Who's Gerry Butler" and that freaken kills me! Everyone in the world knows Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise and so on and so on............Gerard Butler?....Not so much! What movie do you guys think is his greatest and got him noticed of all time? Just wondering!

;) Frannie

Edited to say......BTW Smarty....Nice siggy!

I share your pain and totally agree. However, people know Brad and Tom not only because of their film success, but their personal "issues" which make headlines. Hope GB doesn't have to cheat on his wife or join a cult to make the A list.

OOHH Xan....I never thought of that! But in order to mention those well known names at all whether it be idol gossip or whatever they had to be of some interest to somebody! I don't think I'm making myself clear. I want the same thing that you all want. I know Gerry is smart and only he decides what he wants to do with his career and just how he will do it. I still think if he hasn't already passed them up ...that there are a lot of better roles out there for him...starring roles...where he is the headline! And I so agree about the historical and period pieces....I'd love to see him sink his teeth into a real meaty role like that! I agree about Burns ...not sure if it would be for everyone but I sure would love it! I also agree with Suzie..... A sequel to DF and POTO.....I'm all for it! Okay I've said enough and have voiced my opinion...I know I'm probably pretty close to alone on it too but that's okay...that's what it's all about and to each his own right galfriends? ;)

:wave: Frannie

Here I go!!!! Stepping in the proverbial s--t!!!!!!!! Gerry made the "300" movie and sure he worked his bitty butt off, but he also admits he was told not to completely stop working out, which he has gone back to for a bit, and he admits in a live interview that he didn't listen and completely stopped and that is what hurt him. He is in pretty good shape now and very little workout would be required for the shape he is now in to look the little bit better he would have to look. But it all still comes down to Gerry doing what he wants to do!!!!! I agree with Frannie, "300" got Gerry noticed, finally, and now, when I say Gerry Butler and King Leonidas more people know who the h!!! I'm talking about. But I agree that it all comes down to what Gerry likes and wants to do. I, quite frankly, and I know some of you are not going to like this, but what the h is everybody talking about the punishment to his body? He would have to do somethings, but the real physical stuff would be done more now by a stunt double, (by the way, I wouldn't mind meeting him either!!!!!) But point of fact. There are other actors older than Gerry doing physical roles once in a huge great while. I totally agree that Gerry should spread his talents to any and all roles he deems do-able, but back to the point, he became huge because of "300"!!!!! And he such an awesome actor, a prequel/ sequel would not hurt him in anyway. His acting ability in that movie was really brought out to the forefront and a lot of guys and many women loved not only the movie, but him as well!!!! I hear this allllllll the time in school and at parties and gatherings I go to for my art. This is coming from young people!!! But me, I want to see Gerry no matter what he is in. He is my one and only,ever actor and just seeing him do his thing makes me quiver with that young woman feeling!!!! To hear that voice and see that awesome mouth and that beautiful face makes me feel young again!!!!!! So I say, I would truly love to see Gerry in another "300" type role, because I agree with Xan, he is such an awesome period role actor, but to see him in any role, makes this ol' lady shiver with delight!!!!!! You go Gerry!!!! Or better yet, you come here Gerry!!!!

AOGJoanna