Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry Addicted Lust Syndrome (continued)

Susan~Sporran

I have always wondered why people, in the first place, settle places that frequently have earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados and such....oh and then for some reason build their houses using wood... which is so easily destroyed... I don't get it

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DonnaKat

Excitement? :lol:

I live in a mobile home in tornado alley. I love living on the edge of danger....that, and I'm too po' to afford a condo. ;)

Guest greyeyegoddess

I don't think people live specifically where these things happen. Some live in such places because that's where they work. Some people find that for some reason certain weather conditions work better. I live here in earthquake country because the weather is really nice and is better for my health. I can't live in cold weather.

~alice

:music:

My biggest fear is tornados and since I've been down here in the South we've had several warnings! When I lived in LI I made it thru three hurricanes and wasn't the least bit nervous ...but tornados scare the Hell out of me. I do not know why I got on the weather kick but just thought I'd chime in!

Susan....I'm very happy to hear you guys are fine. When we heard it on the news I told my DH I was going to check on the site and make sure my CA Galfriends were safe and sound.

{{{HUGGLES anyway}}} Frannie

Denmark must be the safest country to live in ..when it comes to weather at least :)

maybe that's boring :unsure:

but we will be the first country on the planet to flood if the poles melt..so that's kinda exciting ... or maybe not

You know one thing I have not noticed or maybe I have I just don't remember is I don't recall anyone here asking if anyone the southern part of Texas is ok. Didn't any of you hear about the hurricane that hit near South Padre Island a few days ago? *Not trying to sound like a betch.*

Paige :wave:

Guest DonnaKat

I'm sorry Paige, you're right! I haven't forgotten...I've been watching the news intently, and I have several friends in Texas. It's just that I haven't been posting much here lately.

I guess if Gerry was in Texas, it would probably get more attention. But since he isn't... ;)

I hope all my fellow Texans are all right.

Actually there were posts in the Support Center at the time the hurricane was approaching but it seemed that the GALS in Texas who responded were not in any danger, they were far away from the path of the hurricane. I'd be curious to hear from kittypro, who is in Houston and therefore closer than Suzie and Elissa in San Antonio. My sister lives in Houston so I figured I'd have heard if they got hit. Which part of Texas are you in, Paige?

As for living where there are various natural disasters and weather conditions to deal with - I grew up in upstate NY and hated the cold weather, blizzards in the winter, ice storms - BLECHH!! We moved to Indiana when I was in high school so there we not only got cold winters but tornadoes! I hated them!! So I moved to Florida - escaped the cold weather but got big bugs and hurricanes (though none came through during the 3 years I lived there). So I went to Alaska - VERY cold weather, earthquakes, and BIG paychecks (why I went). I went up in the summer and left at Thanksgiving, avoiding a real winter. So I landed in California. No tornadoes (or very rarely), no hurricanes, but we can get earthquakes and lots of bad fires and mudslides. We haven't had a big quake since 1994 - that's over 14 years. Today's was a shaker, but did little damage. We all know that "the big one" is still out there (or down there, as the case really is) and it could let loose at any time, and we'll see massive damage and loss of life. But that's a gamble I'm willing to take to live where I live - I love the weather (most of the time).

ATTILA GIRL signing in...

Yes, that EQ was a shaker!! It started with a big JOLT, and then shaking, and then another JOLT, and then that nauseating rolling-feeling, and I knew it was gonna be a BIG one :ohbaby: , like between a 5 and 6. I was at work at the Animal Hospital...and IN THE BATHROOM!!! :eek:

I made sure to zip my pants and flush the you-know-what before stepping out, and when I did, I saw one Dr and his patient, a very scared kitty coming out from the exam room, and the poor lady looked so scared too. Our Groomer lady came out and said to me in her heavy Korean accent, "Did we have an earthquake? The cages were shaking". We were still having it so she came and shared the bathroom doorway with me and we crouched down together. She had three doggies in there and they seemed fine...we had another kitty in for a second day of observation and he was fine, all it did was wake him up from his nap.

The funniest thing was, that one of the girls was getting out a bag of fluids for the kitty, and she went running straight outside with it in her hand. I wondered what she would have done if she'd been holding the kitty at the time. Then the other Dr, (the Boss), he'd been in his office with a sales rep, and that lady took off running outside...he came out of his office giggling. It was pretty funny actually.

Since the other Dr is new to California, just since last Sept, I said to him, "Welcome to CALIFORNIA!" He said "Oh, no, they had bigger EQ's in India."

I have trained myself to resist the urge to run out of the building, because that's what "they", (whoever "they" are) say NOT to do...that you could be hurt by more stuff falling outside...So, I guess you have to chose:

Do you want to be buried under a pile of crumbling concrete, or do you want to be hit by a lightpole or power lines??? :confused:

I tell ya, if it had continued to go on, I probably would have run. :escape:

Everyone was getting and making calls to and from boyfriends, etc...

Everyone but me. No one called to check on me...HA! No big deal.

When I checked my phone...it said I had a message, but I think it's a text and I have NO FREAKING clue how to get them... :gah:

I did try to make some calls but nothing happened till three hours later. I called to check on JUDE...but she was out so I got her hubby. Then I got a call from a friend in OK...how sweet that he checked in on me.

We only talked a few minutes, and then I heard him go "Uh Oh"...and he said he could all of a sudden see a storm coming...he'd already told me how their 100 degree temps had dropped down to 80 because of Huricane Dolly coming up from Texas...He said he was going to have to go and close everything up.

He and I have discussed EQ's versus Tornados...and of course, me being a Native California Girl, I'll choose the EQ's because I'm used to them, and he says he'll take the tornados because in 35 years there, he's only been close to them twice. I think a spinning whirlwind that can move cars up in the air and drop them miles away sounds alot more scarey than the very ground beneath your feet shaking the H*ll out of you!! :omg:

It's funny, cuz I did wonder about Gerry...I wondered if he was in So Cal, and what he would have thought of it. But it sounds like he was out of state.

Well, better go have din-din now...gotta get up 2-3 hours earlier for a shift at the Dr's second clinic tomorrow, and I've not got to bed on time the whole month.

See ya around...

Nancy :fall:

Edited by Attila Girl

My coworkers and I were at a restaurant celebrating a birthday when the earthquake hit. The customers all stayed seated and rode it out, those already served actually calmly continued eating after the shakes. The servers, restaurant staff, etc, all ran out of the building enmass. It was pretty funny.

Although I have experienced a few earthquakes before, this earthquake really scared me. I was at my doctor's office (on the second floor) when it hit and I was frozen in my chair. I didn't think it would ever stop rolling. Everyone was okay in my doctor's office, but many of the other people had left the bulding. The elevators were not working so I had to use the stairs, which ordinarily wouldn't be a big deal, but today I had to take my little 8 month old great-granddaughter with me to my appointment and she was in her stroller. Many of the people who had been outside were coming back into the building when I started to try to go down. Lucky for me, a very kind woman stopped to help me carry the stroller down the stairs (with the baby in it) and we were out of the building. I was rather upset because I couldn't get a call through to any of my family; they were trying to reach me at the same time. I didn't hear from anyone until I made it home about a half hour later. Some of my family living in New Jersey called as they had seen a report on the news and my brother called from Arizona.

Every area seems to have to deal with their own disasters or weather conditions, but I still like living in So. California best thank you very much.

Barbara

OMG an earthquake - :flee: thanks for the heads up that all is OK Susan

Wrist still sore but getting better - typing with 1 1/2 hands very slow and laborious URGH :wall:

Sue - I have asked the boysre Mac/Windows O/S software , they will get back to me tomorrow and I will post with instructions

Sorry, had loads more to add but wrist not happy. Catch you all soon

Cat

We just had a pretty big earthquake (5.8) in Southern California. It rocked and rolled for longer than I recall from any previous quakes I've experienced. So far everyone I've checked with is OK. Cheri and her sister who live closest to the epicenter are fine (Tamara was here at work and Cheri was out shopping and their mom said everything is OK at home). My hubby says everything OK at home. I dove under my desk when I realized it was going to keep rolling, but nothing fell over. I'm now waiting for news reports on any damage elsewhere.

I hope all the Southern California GALs will check in and let us know you are OK.

Better late than never I guess...So sorry it has taken me so long to actually respond...and a Ginormous Thank you to *everyone* for your concern and love and prayers on our behalf!

I was actually out and about with my nieces from Albuquerque when the Quake hit...the girls (14 and 16) had wanted to shop...so we were in Kohl's when the quake hit. It felt like someone picked up the building and dropped it...plus, very dramatic and LOUD breaking glass all over the store and my youngest niece completely Freaked...so, the Kohl's folk (must remember to thank them for this!) were very calm and collected and ushered us all to the center of the store...then after a bit, we left. NO cell service whatsoever...According to David, when a zillion people (all the millions who normally live here and all the millions who are visiting LOL) all pick up the cell phones and dial at once and then keep trying, it is like a locked up traffic jam and nothing can get through. I heard later on the news that texting is better and if you have email on the phone, that is the best since it is data lines rather than voice. Aren't you glad I shared all of that info...ramble ramble ramble!

Anyways, it kinda took the wind outta our sails (to say the least!) soooo, we went to eat and then to wander about in Michaels to try to calm the girls down...by the time we got back to my Mom's I was completely exhausted....Just too much of TOO MUCH lately...and now, I will most likely try to rest for a few days to recover from this past week of too much activity piled onto my injured ankle...

I miss you all and love you so much!

More when I can think straight...just too tired right now...

xoxoxoxCheri

Hi gals :wave:

First of all.. *Hugs all gals living in CA and big sigh of relief*

*Digs into goodies to comfort self* Didn't pan out with the minitrip, - new bills arrived... ( And with bills arriving is NO FUN WHATSOEVER!! :tantrum: ) Oh well.... *Chewing/sipping etc *

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hugs from Eva Mari :wuv:

Well GALS

You may have seen this on The Today Show last week but we had it on Richard and Judy a few days ago and I defy anyone not to shed a tear at this video of Christian the Lion. Me and my mum were blubbering wrecks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7VkiL_PW6U

I'm actually sitting through Miley Cirus on the Today Show just so I can see the guys on the Today Show.

The video is INCREDIBLE!!!

They're not going to let this girl grow up . . . I hope we don't' have another Britney Spears on our hands . . .

Lisa

Hey everyone! I'm glad everyone is alright in the midst of earthquakes, hurricanes, etc... Yipes.

Sorry I haven't been around.... but I'll take some of that chocolate, Nay... :yummy:

:hearts:

~Mel

Mel!! *Hugs* I neeeed your Dear Frankie-vid!! Ooops...

Can I pretty PLEASE get a link???

*Begs on bended knees, pleads, starts crying, - holds on to Mel's skirt..* :tissues:

Tracy, - I'd go with the real stuff and a walk, - the so called "as if it really was" is ALWAYS :fook:'n' cr*p!!

Edited by NordicGirl

I am kinda wondering if God is a little upset with us out here in California? Drought, fire and now earthquakes. Oh crud Sue, Jill and I live in between two active volcanoes :flee::scared:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mt Lassen and Mt Shasta

Mt Lassen erupted in 1915 and Shasta is way overdue!!! YIKESS

Edited by jobella

Thanks Jennipher, I really needed that! LMAO! Well, as one who believes that when it is your time it is your time...

I love living in California...the only other place I would love to live is Long Island New York and since there is no way I could ever afford to live there again...I'll take CA...lol.

I'm also so thankful that all of our GALS (all over the country and world) have been spared from floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes and all the other disasters we've experienced lately...we have been very fortunate.

hugs,

Sue

Hi everyone,

I'm sooooooooooooooo tired, getting into PJ's and hitting the sheets, but we have to read Lulu and the Chocolate Wedding with Lulu.

:kiss: To the Galfriends with the EQuakes and anyone who needs a hugs, I've plenty here for you....come and get them!

Catch you all later.......sometime soon...........I hope.

hugs,

Anna X