Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
JustCallMeTracy

Spoilers Please About Gus Please tell me about him.

I'll never get to see it so will someone tell me in detail what happens with Gus. He appears to be a cheater.

Would people like to give me a summery of the whole movie? Or the episodes of the TV show with Gus. I know that is what it was.

I want to know the story.

It looks so interesting from just the caps.

Can someone help me please?

Love,

Tracy

I'm in the same boat as JCMTracy. Anyone in the US have a copy of Lucy Sullivan I can borrow or can you tell me where I can get a copy here in the US or anywhere that is compatible with US regions? I'm practically dying to see this.

Hellllllllp meeeeeeeeeee.....PLEEEEEEEEEEZE.... :poof:

*sniff* I don't have one either... and in my fantasy life, I DO like bad boys. (especially if they are played by Mr Butler)

Swannie

Oh girls. You should really try to invest in a region free DVD player and then buy yourself the series from EZDVDsales.com. I don't wanna spoil it for you! Region free players seem to vary in cost...I've seen as cheap as $40. I haven't heard if they will make this series in Region 1 but they really should, given Gerry's American fan base...

I'm in the same boat as JCMTracy. Anyone in the US have a copy of Lucy Sullivan I can borrow or can you tell me where I can get a copy here in the US or anywhere that is compatible with US regions? I'm practically dying to see this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hellllllllp meeeeeeeeeee.....PLEEEEEEEEEEZE....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll never get to see it so will someone tell me in detail what happens with Gus. He appears to be a cheater.

Would people like to give me a summery of the whole movie? Or the episodes of the TV show with Gus. I know that is what it was.

Love,

Tracy

Hey Gals-

I have a copy of Lucy Sulllivan that I am willing to lend- Just PM me and we can make arrangements.

As for watching on the region free DVD- I downloaded a FREE 14-day trail from the following link onto my computer and it worked perfectly. And it expired after 14 days with no pressure to purchase. (Just click on the button TRY FOR FREE)

Gin

http://www.dvd-x-player.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hellllllllp meeeeeeeeeee.....PLEEEEEEEEEEZE....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Love,

Tracy

Hey Gals-

I have a copy of Lucy Sulllivan that I am willing to lend- Just PM me and we can make arrangements.

As for watching on the region free DVD- I downloaded a FREE 14-day trail from the following link onto my computer and it worked perfectly. And it expired after 14 days with no pressure to purchase. (Just click on the button TRY FOR FREE)

Gin

http://www.dvd-x-player.com/

That's really nice of you to offer to lend that series out..it's hard for us to get our hands on it. I've been wanting to see this for soooo long it's ridiculous. Thank you for offering it out..very, very kind of ya!

Buy it and watch it on your computer.

I can't pay attention. I wanted someone to tell me what went on on the show. :tissues:

Gus is a liar, a cheat, a thief, a coward, an all-around sleaze and not ever to be trusted - but sooooo beautiful that it's hard to remember.

Not really a spoiler as much as a character analysis.

There's just too much plot to relate - it's a series of episodes of three young women trying to find love and happiness in London and the men they meet. Originally 12 episodes were filmed so it's rather long. Gus is sexy and beautiful but. . .

Jane

Now that I've finished capping the movie (thanks Holly for the dvd!), I'd be happy to discuss it because it was truly a rather enjoyable series. So if you don't want things to be spoiled for you, don't read any further... and know that while I'm giving a synopsis, my opinions will be scattered throughout.

This will be done with several posts b/c I'll be using images from the gallery and there's a limit on how many can be used in a single post.

It starts out rather fluffy - girl (Lucy, age 24) finally moves away from home and her seemingly oppressive/over-emotional mother and fun-loving dad to the big city of London and joins a flat with 2 other girls. She enjoys her new freedom and parties a lot of nights away with her new friends. Her co-workers and her go see a fortune-teller one day and each of them get predictions that their lives will change. Lucy's is that she's going to get married soon and it will be to a man that's not her usual type.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

So, when Gus comes into her life at a party, she's a bit head-over-heels b/c he's just so gorgeous and she's excited b/c he's "not her usual type". Yes, Gus is adorable and he knows it. Every word he spouts wraps Lucy even further around his little finger. He's VERY corny, very cliche. She falls hook, line and sinker. Especially after he decides to lick spilled beer off her dress. LOL Then she sees him leaving the party with another girl (after he said he was going to get her a drink, never returns and she goes to look for him).

Posted Image Posted Image

Lucy is disappointed he has a girlfriend but she continues to fantasize about him and wonders if he's who she is going to marry.

Gus shows up at her workplace the next day (I think, or maybe a few days later) and gives Lucy back her wallet that she lost at the party. She's overjoyed that he tracked her down and brought it back but dismayed that someone at the party took money from it before Gus found it. However she's not upset long b/c Gus wants to take her out for a drink.

We then see Gus paying for the drinks with the exact amount of money missing from Lucy's wallet... she doesn't see it. He sweet talks her, assures her that the girl she saw him with at the party was his cousin (i think, or some sort of relation) and tells her he wants to start something with her. She's ecstatic!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

They then go for a walk down by a river and Gus spouts off a lot of romantic drivel... Lucy actually admits (in a voiceover) that she does know he's cliche but she can't help it, he's Gus and he's wonderful. Gus picks flowers for Lucy and they share their first kiss. Lucy hopes it'll lead to more back at her place but Gus simply sleeps. Lucy is disappointed but thinks Gus is a gentleman.

spoilers continued...

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Gus and Lucy wake up the next morning and he meets her flat-mates. Later after work, they meet up again at a bar for a drink and then go down by the river again. Gus decides to make a grand romantic gesture by writing "Lucy and Gus" on a piece of paper with her lipstick and putting it in a bottle to be thrown in the river so that their love is eternal or something LOL. After Gus throws it in the river, he falls on the bank and gets all muddy. Now he needs a bath :cunning:

Gus is in Lucy's bathroom, muddy pants off, sitting on the side of the tub. Lucy comes in with more towels and things get pretty heated. While they're kissing, they fall backwards in the water and have a laugh. Then things get heated again and via Lucy's voiceover, we know they finally do the deed.

Posted Image

Lucy wakes up the next morning to find Gus gone, no note, no nothing. She doesn't have his telephone number and doesn't know where he lives or works. She doesn't hear from him for a few weeks but she continues to fantasize about him, especially while reading a steamy romance novel. She envisions him naked on the bus with her.

Gus shows up one night to Lucy's flat, he breaks in with a credit card. He worms his way around her questions. I think he said that his dad was sick and he was sick with worry about him and had to care for him. Anyways, it was a sob story. Lucy forgives him and they passionately kiss and the camera cuts away after they fall back on the couch.

spoilers continued...

Lucy and Gus have breakfast with her flat-mates and their respective partners the next morning and he invites them all to come down to the club where he sings some time. Lucy's office-mate Megan also joins them. Gus sings "the first time I ever saw your face" and Lucy is entranced. While settling up the bill for the drinks, Gus ducks out of having to pay his share by going to the bathroom. This does not endear Gus at all to Lucy's friends. On his way to the loo, he encounters Megan and flirts with her. While Gus is gone, Lucy's best friend Daniel talks to her as he's suspicious about Gus. Lucy cannot be swayed though, she's head-over-heels for Gus.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The next episode shows Lucy, Gus and her flatmates/their partners playing Twister. After the game, Karen (Lucy's flatmate) suggests that they all have a grown-up dinner party soon as it'll be fun to dress up and eat proper food. Lucy takes Gus shopping with her, she needs a fancy dress for the dinner party. Gus loves the dress on Lucy and proceeds to show his appreciation by kissing her up her body while in the changing room. Lucy is dismayed though after by looking at the price tag, saying it's out of her budget. Gus decides to "help" by ripping the dress a bit and they get it at a discount. They leave the shop together giggling.

The night of the big dinner party, Gus never shows, never calls, nothing. Lucy does have a phone number that he gave her, she calls it and asks for Gus. The guy on the other line says that Gus doesn't live there anymore, he's moved back in with Mandy. Lucy is crushed.

spoilers continued...

Weeks later, Gus shows up to the flat. Lucy's flat-mates don't want to let him in as they're tired of how Gus treats her. Lucy is weakened though, she misses Gus and let's him in. After another long-winded explanation of his behavior (I can't remember his excuse this time), she forgives him. They are then showed eating ice cream in bed.

Lucy comes home one night after work and finds the flat burglarized. She's particularly upset because the crystal rose bowl she bought as an anniversary gift for her parents has been taken. Then she sees Gus on the floor seemingly unconscious. He said that he was there waiting for her when he was attacked by the burglar. Daniel is suspicious of Gus' story.

Megan throws a party at her flat and invites everyone. Gus is further taken by Megan when they share a few shots in her kitchen. Lucy gets in a fight with Daniel because of his continued suspicion of Gus. She yells at him and then grabs Gus for a big sloppy kiss in front of Daniel. They then leave the party to go back to her flat. Great scene because we are treated to some hilarious drunken dance moves by Gus LOL

spoilers continued...

The next episode starts by showing the flatmates & their boyfriends enjoying themselves at the flat - playing video games, a super-sized version of Jenga, and just hanging out. Gus calls Lucy at her work and Megan answers. He flirts with her on the phone. At the flat, Charlotte (Lucy's other flat-mate) has her heart broken by her boyfriend and Karen & Lucy comfort her. Daniel and Gus bring wine and cookie dough.

That night in bed, Lucy and Gus are talking about Charlotte's break-up (I think). And I think she says something about how she doesn't need to worry about it b/c she and Gus are stable or something. The next morning, Gus is trying to leave without waking Lucy. She does wake and asks him what they're doing that night. He tells her he wants to take a break and Lucy is heartbroken.

While out with her friends, Lucy sees her office-mate Hetty out with their boss and calls Megan to let her know. She gets the machine and leaves a message about how someone they know is leading a double life. While her message is being played, we're shown Megan and Gus getting hot and heavy on her couch.

spoilers continued...

Megan and Gus are in her kitchen making out. While she's making breakfast, Gus suggests that she not talk about them being together while at the office. Megan asks why since he told her that Lucy was the one that dumped him. Gus said it was just best not to mention it.

Gus surprises Megan with breakfast on her patio. She surprises him by giving him a cell phone... now she can reach him anytime. Megan definitely utilizes the phone a lot, calling Gus to find out where he is and when they're going to get together. Gus pays for his bar tab with the phone (he's out of cash and wants to get rid of it). Gus calls Megan at work on a pay phone and tells her that the cell was stolen and not to call it. Lucy answers Megan's phone and hears Gus' message. Gus hears her voice and hangs up immediately. Lucy is incredibly angry with Megan & Gus.

Now through out this whole story, we are given other side stories that are pretty compelling. The most, in my opinion, being about Lucy's parents. Up until this point, it was pretty much a backstory because Lucy was busy in London living it up on her own. Now that she's broken up with Gus, the family storyline is more prevalent. Her father is a drunk and her mother is the long-suffering "martyr" that has stuck by him. However, Lucy has always had the image that her father was the suffering one b/c her mother was so overbearing and her dad just needed to unwind a lot and enjoy himself with a few drinks. After Lucy's mom finally moves out, Lucy then begins to realize the true situation. She moves back home to take care of her dad and sees his true colors. It's heartbreaking to see her come to this realization but essential for her character growth. She finally moves back to the London flat when she realizes that her dad needs to want help himself, she can't force it on him.

Megan has a few issues of her own - she is trying to find her mother, she was given up as a baby and shuffled through the system. She tracks down an address of her birth mother on the internet and goes there with Gus to investigate. The lady that answers the door says that nobody by that name (I can't remember it, sorry!) lives there and she can't help them. Megan is upset and Gus comforts her.

Gus surprises Megan at work. We're told that she hasn't seen him in weeks and she is angry that he just is now showing up. Gus has his usual range of excuses but Megan tells him to get lost.

spoilers continued...

After being rejected by Megan, Gus shows up to their workplace again. This time he's there for Lucy, with a big bucket of red roses. She tells him to get lost as well but Gus knows how to work Lucy and breaks down her defenses. They kiss and go to a bar. While at the bar, Gus remarks at how many couples were there and that they would all enjoy the roses. While watching Gus go up to each couple, Lucy comes to a realization - that Gus always smells and tastes like booze (like her father) and that Gus was selling her roses for money for his own pocket. She's disgusted at him and herself. Outside the bar, she finally tells him off and walks away.

Gus shows up at Megan's flat and tries to weasle his way back in with her. She's not having it until he says he has more information about her mother as he went back to talk to the old lady at the flat they visited together. She lets him in. They get back together as we're shown him in her flat when she gets back from shopping one day. He's on the phone with somebody, talking about money. He tells Megan that his friend needs some money badly and she lends it to him. I can't remember the exact details of what the sob story was.

The story progresses, we find out that Megan hasn't seen Gus in weeks. She then has a brick thrown through her window and is confronted by a shifty guy outside her work. He says that she owes a large sum money as Gus listed her on some sort of contract. Gus has skipped town so she owes the money. He threatens her and Megan fears for her life. She turns to Lucy for help and apologizes for the situation with Gus. Lucy forgives her because they both were duped. They're accosted in the streets by the loan shark again and threatened. Meredia, their other co-worker, sees this happening and offers to give the thug the money (she just came into an inheritance). Megan is extremely grateful and offers to pay her back asap.

spoilers continued...

Megan and Lucy are united in their hatred of Gus. They decide to go down to the karaoke bar he frequents to confront him. He's there, kissing a curly blonde haired girl and sings "the first time I ever saw your face" to her. Lucy and Megan are enraged and start cat-calling him during his performance. Gus turns the crowd around on them though through jokes. Bouncers take Megan outside and Lucy rushes forwarded to yell at Gus on the stage. Daniel then punches Gus. The police are called and Daniel & Lucy are taken to jail. Gus is shown talking to a policewoman about the situation, of course flirting with her at the same time. He plays the "i'm so innocent, I don't know what happened" act.

The story progresses... Lucy is with Daniel now and they're in love. They're very sweet together and he's her definite match. Megan goes back to old lady in the flat and won't leave until she gets more information. She finds out that the lady is her grandmother and gets information about where her mother is and why she gave her up. She's overjoyed at now having family in her life.

Gus shows up one more time... he comes to Lucy's flat and begs her for some money, saying how he's in deep trouble and needs her help. Lucy's defenses are dropped a bit b/c of the sob story. Daniel comes in and is enraged. He tells Lucy that it's either Gus or him and Lucy is angry that Daniel won't let her settle this situation herself. Daniel leaves and Lucy tells Gus that she'll give him some money and that's it. She's done with him. They go to the ATM and Gus comments that her pin number is her birthdate (I think) while he watchers her key it in. After she takes the money out, a hooded thief runs through and steals everything in Lucy's hands (money and atm card). Gus tries to grab the guy but falls down. He races after him. Lucy sits on a parkbench and realizes the whole thing was a set-up. Daniel comes by and comforts her. He says she needs someone to look after her, and proposes marriage. Lucy happily accepts.

Lucy celebrates her bachelorette party out with her friends and co-workers. The next day, all of them are hungover at the office, but Megan is sicker than them all and passes out. Lucy is with her at the hospital and Megan tells her that she's pregnant, with Gus' baby. Megan is overwrought and decides to get an abortion. After meeting with her mother for the first time, they discuss the situation. We don't get a real resolution here, but I think she decides to have the baby.

Lucy and Daniel plan to go a tropical island for their wedding, unfortunately Daniel gets chicken pox and they can't go. The series ends with her taking care of Daniel and saying that they'll get married soon.

There's a lot more that happens in this series... I just covered all that was related to Gus. In my opinion, the struggles with Lucy's parents are the most compelling. At one point, Lucy's father tries to get her mom to come back to him and threatens to drink acid if she doesn't. Daniel grabs the jug from him but it backsplashes on him, getting on his face and in his eyes. There's a moment that we're all scared he'll be scarred or blinded. Daniel then exclaims that it's ok, it's just water. It's such a relief and so very sad that Lucy's father would do that.

I did not enjoy the character of Gus at all. Of course he was essential to the story but I could not stand him (and that was the point). Maybe I'm just not into bad boys, but Gus, to me, was so pathetic from the get-go. His corny romantic notions and behavior just turned me off. When Lucy finally told him to "p**s off", i was ecstatic! lol Gerry played him perfectly. The second half of the series is more grown up as Lucy is growing up herself. It's really good, I definitely recommend it and I am thankful Holly sent it to me.

thank you for this!! not likely that I will ever see this ..so thank you

yes he seems like a bit of an a**hole, but his lady friends seem to be even more stupid, by putting up with his s**t :unsure:

Wow Stef! Great synopsis!!

I hope Tracy sees this. OH TRACY!?

While I haven't seen the series (just some few scenes with Gus) I read the book and it does a great job of fleshing out Lucy's realization that Gus is just like her own dad, whom she had always made excuses for, but when left to care for him on her own, she realizes the cold hard truth, that her dad is a self-centered alcoholic.

I agree with Jeb's assessment of Gus: "Gus is a liar, a cheat, a thief, a coward, an all-around sleaze and not ever to be trusted - but sooooo beautiful that it's hard to remember."

and would simply add: "...and a selfish egotistical alcoholic sociopath!"

Evidently Gus is a great lay, so that seems to excuse a lot of his actions with Lucy and Megan, and probably a whole long string of gullible love-thirsty women.

Wow! Thanks Stef, and everyone -- I know I'd never get to see this series, but it's great fun to hear about Young Gerry playing such a ruthlessly charming, flawed, but worthless, con man. I can just imagine how much fun he had with that role.

Probably most of us have had one or two really bad boys try us on in our experience, I'm just really lucky I came through pretty much unscathed and wound up with Prince Charming in the end.

*sigh* I needed that reminder.

:grouphug:

ETS: PS, Stef, I am still loooovvvving my avatar of Gus (oh, and Lucy ....) now Leo & Gordo *oh, make up your mind, Twit*

Edited by Constance

Thank you Stef for the detailed spoilers, it will be awhile before I get to watch the series.

Edited by Tap

Thanks Stef for the details! I just finished ready the book and it is a great read!!!! I would recommend it!!! I have to say that Gus is a jerk but that is what he is suppose to be. I have to say my favorite character besides Lucy was Daniel!!! The guy who played him in the series is hottie!!!

Ok I must go back to work, I havenot been able to work since finishing Lucy, the last chapter alone is worth the read!

Jeanette

Oh I just now have seen this. I am off to read all the spoilers.

Thanks ever so much.

Love,

Tracy

No thankies on the bad boys. They are alright to watch on T.V.or whatever, but I would probably have to punch Gus' pretty little lights out.

Thanks I really enjoyed reading this, Stef.

Love,

Tracy

Wow! Thanks, Stef!

That was terrific! I really appreciate it...don't think I'll be having $ to buy the DVD anytime soon, so it was fun to get a synopsis...and I'm guessing I'd agree 100% with your commentary :lol:

Hugs,

Barb