Gerard Butler GALS

What makes a beautiful singer?

gerran

I have read so many negative reviews about how bad Gerry’s singing in POTO was, and I don’t get it. Why do so many people seem disenchanted by Gerry’s singing, and what makes a singer a beautiful singer if Gerry’s singing wasn’t beautiful (which I thought it was)? I don’t think a whole lot of training necessarily means that a singer is one that is a pleasure to listen to. Let’s look at Patrick Wilson. Don’t get me wrong, I did like his voice (his voice is my second favorite singing voice out of the three leads), but his over trained voice did grate me a bit in the chapel scene between him and Christine before the Phantom’s opera. And no offense to fans of the original Phantom and Christine because most of the time Sarah sounded okay, but in the little bit that I saw of Michael’s and Sarah’s PONR on the Special Features DVD for the 2004 movie, both me and my sister (who liked the 2004 movie but is not as obsessed over it as I am) thought that they sounded off-key. Granted, I didn’t hear their whole version (I don’t have the orginal soundtrack), but Gerry and Emmy definitely made PONR a song more bearable to hear sung. And from the little I heard of Michael’s MOTN (once again no offense to any fans of his because he does have a higher pitch than Gerry does), I liked Gerry’s much better. And Michael and Sarah were trained singers. So, in my opinion, an untrained singer can be a beautiful singer (I know for sure that Gerry was).

True, Gerry was a baritone and not a tenor (so he most likely doesn’t have a huge enough range for stage), but he did hit some high notes very well, and the range of his voice worked just fine for the movie medium. Also, there were times I had to turn to volume up for Patrick and Emmy as well, and they should know how to sing higher than Gerry, very interesting that Gerry was easier to hear than Patrick at times especially in their scene in the lair. So, Gerry is still a beautiful singer.

Also, what really nailed Gerry’s voice for me was the emotional quality of it. Emmy and Patrick sang beautifully as well, and Emmy did a good job of sounding innocent, but Gerry really acted through his singing, you really could hear the emotion in his voice when he sang (which Patrick and Emmy didn’t really do or at least far from the degree that Gerry did). Also, Gerry’s voice has a hypnotizing, memorizing, seductive, sexy, alluring (well you get the point, lol) quality to it that I have never heard in any other singer I have ever heard.

So, I don’t care what some people out there say. Just because Gerry is not Michael (and I really thought that Gerry sounded more like the Phantom should sound than Michael did), and just because Gerry sounds different from what most people are use to hearing from the Phantom doesn’t mean that he is bad. Different isn’t always bad, in Gerry’s case it was beautiful.

Please feel free to give me a comment because I really want to know what you gals think makes a singer a beautiful one, especially since Gerry’s voice is one of the main reasons why the critics slammed him so badly (what do critics know?).

This is a great thread.

In my opinion, what makes a beautiful singer is when he or she understands that the song they are singing is more important than themselves as performers. A song is communication. Whether you are communicating love, or faith or anger or sorrow... when you sing you are speaking to someone. The message is more important than the messenger.

A singer is really a servant to the song.... so the best performers know how to step aside and let the song speak for itself.

There are many performers I can name, who when they first started out, it was the song they cared about. They learned the lyrics and melody to tell a story. Once those same performers achieved a certain amount of fame, the song... the music became secondary to their ego.

Barbra Streisand

Mariah Carey

Whitney Huston

I could go on and on.

Once they become the star and not their songs... I can no longer stand to listen to them.

Gerry is not a trained singer and his voice is full of technical flaws which would take YEARS of training to perfect.... but Gerry knew in terms of Phantom, that the important thing was to tell the story. He is quoted as saying he wanted the Phantom's soul to be in every note he sang... and it was. Sometimes those notes were sung with an edge of bitterness, sometimes a sexy hiss or growl. Sometimes his voice was soft and angelic and sometimes it was raw and hateful. He used his voice as an actor to reveal the man behind the mask. He did not think himself more important than the song or the role he played. There is no ego in Gerry's singing for POTO.... he just opened himself up to becoming his character, and did not hold back.

Michael is a trained singer, and the original cast album in my opinion, does not show the full range of his emotional depth. I saw him play the role of the Phantom live, and he also knows how to step aside and serve a song. Michael is another brilliant performer who leaves his ego in the dressing room. He is there to portray a man, and that is what he did.

I can't compare the two men vocally, because one is classically trained and the other is not. One is a baritone and the other a tenor. They are very different men who approached the role in very different ways, and IMO... both were brilliant.

For just its natural sweet velvet tonal quality, I LOVE Gerry's voice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rgf2gmW-l5o

Gerry just has a naturally beautiful voice, especially when he doesn't push it too hard.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

So, I don’t care what some people out there say. Just because Gerry is not Michael (and I really thought that Gerry sounded more like the Phantom should sound than Michael did), and just because Gerry sounds different from what most people are use to hearing from the Phantom doesn’t mean that he is bad.

A beautiful singer is in part in the ear of the listener. Yet, I must disagree with the statement that Michael and Sarah were off-key.

Gerry did a good job, but he did not claim to be an accomplished singer, and his version of the Phantom was only one of many renditions.

What should the Phantom sound like? Michael received a Tony award and critical acclaim for his interpretation. It was a slam dunk.

Edited to add: As for Patrick Wilson, his voice is beyond pure. What a pleasure.

Edited by barberry

I think at times Patrick's voice does sound underpowered on the CD. That most likely has more to do with how the vocals were mixed than with his performance. He does have a beautiful and effortless voice. I love the scene on the POTO extras when he is just standing by the piano in a baseball cap running through a song. His voice just soars!

Swannie

Everyone has their perference. Some liked Gerry, many didn't. Many like Michael, some don't. Some liked Patrick, some didn't. The same goes for Sarah and Emmy and every other singer in the world. I just happen to prefer Gerry. I don't know if that has to do with the fact that I am not an opera person or not, but I liked Gerry's voice. I like being able to understand what everyone is singing about. Yes, I do envy those people who can hit those beautiful, long, high notes, but I really wish I knew what they were singing their hearts out about. On a side note, I liked the promotional song that Steve Harley (another rock singer, I don't know there's just something about them because I liked his voice as well) and Sarah Brightman (who I liked in this song) that can be found on the Special Features DVD in the Behind the Mask: The Story of the Phantom of the Opera. I didn't hear all of Michael's and Sarah's PONR and I didn't hear all of Michael's MOTN, so I can't judge the whole song. I might decide the buy the orginal casting soundtrack one day; I really would like to hear more of Steve Barton (may he rest in peace). The little bit I heard of him made me think of Patrick (who I did love just not as much as Gerry) even though Steve Barton's voice didn't sound as soft and angelic as Patrick's (again I need to hear all of Steve to really rate his voice). So, listen to whatever singer, whatever music that touches you deeply, as Gerry and the whole POTO music did for me. On a side note, maybe it's reading all those reviews that calls Gerry a bad singer and has people wishing that Michael had done the role instead so much that makes me somewhat biased against him (but I will give him credit, he became very popular with people in his role as the Phantom even though he came from a background in which he did at least some comedy, and he does have a higher pitch than Gerry there's no denying that), all I know is that someone doesn't have to be a trained singer to be a beautiful singer (as proven by Gerry in my opinion). So, I will try to put all of my bias aside when it comes to singers I hear in the future, and I will see who touches me and who doesn't.

There are people who are classically trained and can deliver a technically perfect performance and do nothing for the people who are listening to them. I've also heard singers who were not trained (or trained as well as others) and despite some minor technical flaws, they seem to have the ability to move their audience emotionally, even to tears. Personally, I would rather listen to someone whose voice and passion moves me rather than delivering a picture perfect song with lack of sincerity, heartfelt genuineness, and passion. I don't mind that they sang one note flat or a little sharp, but the performance as a whole moved me to tears.

I did not know who Gerard Butler was before Phantom. I had 2 of his movies on DVD and didn't realize that it was Gerry in those films. I remember the day I got POTO on DVD and watched it for the first time alone while my husband was out (I did not see it in the theatre). After watching the Mirror Scene and listening to Music of the Night I had to pause the DVD to just catch my breath. I stopped breathing and existing through that entire scene. I couldn't watch any more of the movie until I watched that sequence of scenes three more times in a row. I paused it each time after MOTN where the Phantom tugged the rope to let the black curtain fall around a swan bed where a beautiful innocent Christine laid...to just breathe. I was so moved by Gerry's voice in just MOTN, I was speechless. That day was eight months ago. I purchased the soundtrack from Amazon.com very soon after I finally did manage to finish the movie and for eight months straight, I still listen and sing to that soundtrack to this day and I still cannot get enough of him.

I am a trained singer. I have sung in the finest concert halls of Europe. I have heard many, many trained vocalists. BUT NONE OF THEM DO TO ME WHAT GERRY'S VOICE DOES TO ME. It doesn't bother me at all that he is not a classically trained vocalist. In fact, after finding out that he wasn't trained when he took on this challenge, made me admire him even more. While I was listening to POTO for the first time, you couldn't tell me that he wasn't trained. I knew his vocals were much different than Michael Crawford's, but I felt his voice fit the role for the film. His raw passionate performance knocked me off my feet. I fell in love with Gerry after watching Phantom because of the way he moved me so. His voice is so seductive and rich and sexy and captivating. He grips me in the core of my womanhood and won't let go. In this way I feel like I am Christine....drawn to the hypnotic power of his voice and the raw sensuality that draws me out of my shell. I can't explain it, I can only FEEL it. And I can't get enough of him.

There is only one other male whose voice sends tingling sensations down my spine and his name is Bruno Pelletier. He's not known in the States. His CDs are not available in the US. He is French Canadian and he is a trained and accomplished vocalist who has ranged from rock to opera. He does have a website where you can purchase his CDs: brunopelletier.com Check him out!

I absolutely love Emmy's voice as well and feel that the quality of her voice is much better and easier to listen to than Sarah Brightman. I know I am stepping on some toes here, but Sarah's vocals are equivalent to nails on a chalkboard. This is just my opinion so no need to beat me up. I also feel Patrick's voice is just angelic and beautiful, but he doesn't take my breath away like Gerry does. I do have the original London Cast recording and believe me, other than Steve Barton (who I feel should have been Phantom and not Raoul) was the best vocalist in that show.

I truly admire and LOVE ALL the performances of the POTO the movie. Gerry, while not a trained singer, put his entire soul and heart into that role and rose to the challenge and did the best job anybody could have hoped to do. That to me, no matter what the critics say, impresses and amazes me the most and Gerry deserves the credit of a job exceptionally well done.

What makes a beautiful singer? It's a gift from God. You can't touch it, or see it, or buy it or trade it, but you FEEL it. It moves you on a physical and spiritual level. It's very powerful, and not everyone possesses this gift. I believe Gerard James Butler does.

Thank you for your very informative post, GerrysJewel. So, you’re a trained singer, I envy you slightly (lol), I couldn’t sing if my life depended on it. Well, I don’t think I’m always off-key, but no Phantom is going to come by anytime soon and proclaim himself as my Angel of Music, lol. And I have read quite a few reviews from people saying that they are trained singers and yet being impressed and moved by Gerry’s performance in POTO. And I agree with you, GerrysJewel, I would rather hear someone who puts passion and emotion in his/her voice than someone who’s only concerned about sounding “pretty.” And don’t worry about your comment about Sarah. I loved her in the promotional video she did with Steve Harley (loved him too), but at other times I got annoyed by the fact that I couldn’t understand what she was saying. And I will freely admit I’m not a fan of Michael’s style of singing, not to step on the toes of any fans of his. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, of course. But I am so glad that there are sites online where Gerry’s voice is not constantly bashed. And I love your comment about Steve Barton, GerrysJewel, I might one day get the org. soundtrack just to check out more of his voice. And you’re also right about Patrick’s voice (and I do love his voice), it’s beautiful and angelic but not as passionate or as vivid or as breath-taking as Gerry’s voice is. I really wish that Gerry did receive a lot more credit for his work in POTO, as he did indeed put his heart and soul into it (and he gave me the finest display of acting I’ve ever seen). Maybe one day people will look back into the past and suddenly realize that there is an angel of music (I couldn’t resist using those words) out there who sings with such soul and such passion and emotion and who really sings with such depth and touches me and seduces me but also makes me feel his saddest and his most anguish moments. Maybe one day people will realize that Gerry should have at the very least won a Best Actor reward for his work in POTO (as I truly believe he should have). What I wouldn’t give to hear Gerry sing again like he did in POTO because I really do need another soundtrack to listen to and another movie to watch.

I really wish that Gerry did receive a lot more credit for his work in POTO, as he did indeed put his heart and soul into it (and he gave me the finest display of acting I’ve ever seen). Maybe one day people will look back into the past and suddenly realize that there is an angel of music (I couldn’t resist using those words) out there who sings with such soul and such passion and emotion and who really sings with such depth and touches me and seduces me but also makes me feel his saddest and his most anguish moments. Maybe one day people will realize that Gerry should have at the very least won a Best Actor reward for his work in POTO (as I truly believe he should have). What I wouldn’t give to hear Gerry sing again like he did in POTO because I really do need another soundtrack to listen to and another movie to watch.

Gerran, I absolutely agree with you. I missed Phantom when it came out in the theatres. Don't ask me how, because I don't know. I swear, I must have been living under a rock to have missed this. I've always loved the music and believe me I would have been the first person buying tickets at the theatre to see this movie. Therefore, I missed all the promotions and reviews and tv spots and it wasn't until I joined this website that I learned that not everyone appreciated Gerry's performance as I did and most of us here on this board. That's beyond me, but everyone has a right to their opinion.

I happen to believe that Gerry did deserve an Oscar for his performance. I personally feel insulted that he didn't. Strange, I know. But as I mentioned before, just the fact that Gerry stepped into a HUGE role, with HUGE expectations, and untrained to boot - and equipped himself to do the best job that he could do simply astounds me. That effort alone deserves Oscar recognition, I think. I'd like to see anyone else who was not trained step into that role and give the calibre performance Gerry did! I bet not many men could stand up to that level of standard especially knowing they were filling in Michael Crawford's shoes and with the most widely known musical ever who has millions of fans worldwide. Those are NOT easy shoes to fill.

I feel Gerry set the next standard for any Phantom that comes after him. I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago on a business trip and I treated myself to a front row seat of the Phantom at the Venetian. The man who played the Phantom was no Gerry, but still very good. I recognized the fact that he may have gotten his inspiration from Gerry's portrayal because towards the end of the show, when the Phantom was experiencing the height of his pain and rejection, this on-stage Phantom gave a gutteral, growling heartfelt performance very much like Gerry's performance. I was still moved to tears by the end!!! :)

Anyway.....Yes, I wish Gerry could have taken some physical reward for his success in a lot of people's eyes. I am sure he was rewarded in other ways. And yes.........I hunger for more of Gerry's singing and hope beyond hope that he either does another musical....or records a CD or something!

Gerry, if you ever read this.....know that there are multitudes of women (and some men) who LOVE your voice and singing and hope that you use this gift that God gave you more....God saw fit to have the very best in the music industry train you....perhaps that was God speaking.....

I didn’t see Phantom in theaters either, GerrysJewel. In fact, I knew nothing whatsoever about the Phantom of the Opera until I watched it in my theater class in high school. Since then, I have totally fallen in love with the Phantom created by Gerry. I love his voice, his beautiful intoxicating eyes that really and truly show the Phantom’s soul just as much as his voice does, his facial expressions (especially in “I Remember/Stranger Than You Dreamt It” and “All I Ask of You (Reprise),” his body movements, I loved everything Gerry gave us in POTO; sometimes it was an overload, as I have to watch his scenes over and over again to take in everything that he does, the way his voice has the right emotion for the scene, the way his eyes also match the right emotion for the scene and are (for most of the movie) sad and filled with love and longing for Christine, and we haven’t even added his facial expressions and his body movement yet (his body movement was especially sensual and seductive in “Music of the Night.” Gerry’s Phantom, through the use of his voice and sometimes through the use of his eyes and his facial expressions alone without needing to use words to communicate what the Phantom was feeling at that particular moment, was truly both seductive and tragic. Even while Gerry was seductive in the “Music of the Night,” you could also hear his sadness in his voice and see the sadness in the eyes as if he already knew that Christine wouldn’t be his in the end. And you could truly hear the sadness in Gerry’s voice when he sang “All I Ask of You” to Christine when they were on the bridge together before she unmasked him for the second time. I could go on and on about Gerry and his intense, emotive, passionate, and amazing (words alone can’t really describe Gerry’s performance in POTO) performance. And you’re right, GerrysJewel, I also have great admiration for Gerry for daring to take on this part even without formal singing training beforehand. You are truly right; how many people could possibly pull off what Gerry did? And if stage Phantoms are being inspired by Gerry’s performance, good for them, at least they are getting the message that Gerry’s Phantom is not one to be bashed. I have yet to see a stage production of POTO, but I hope to one day; and I’m already feeling sorry for whoever sings for the Phantom because I am going to be busy (while also enjoying the live experience that can only come from a stage experience) comparing that Phantom to Gerry’s Phantom, and trust me it’s going to be hard (almost impossible) for anyone to give me a better Phantom than Gerry gave me. The stage Phantoms may be able to sing louder than Gerry, but being able to sing loudly doesn’t always make one a beautiful singer. Right now, I simply can’t imagine anyone else giving me a more emotionally charged performance than what Gerry had to offer. Michael may had been the original Phantom, but (in my opinion) Gerry has set a new scale of excellence for how the Phantom should be performed, and it will be almost impossible for someone to set the scale higher than what Gerry set it. Gerry is the one and only Phantom for me.

I think in terms of the storyline having someone who is not classically trained to play the Phantom works. After all, the Phantom taught himself how to sing, he was not taught to sing like the opera stars were. And, the Phantom is an unstable character, so it makes sense for his voice to be a bit rough. Gerry is the voice of the Phantom. His voice is beautiful just like the Phantom’s voice was beautiful in the novel. At the same time, though, you know who exactly the Phantom is and exactly the kind of life he has lived when you hear Gerry sing. So, good job, Gerry, and bravo bravo bravo. GALS appreciate your performance in POTO, even if others are blind to the passion and the emotion and the intensity and the reality and all of the hard effort and all of the tears you put into this role.

As a classical trained musician(piano), and a lover of the operatic voice(Thomas Hampson is my favorite baritone) I was very surprised at the quality of Gerry's voice in POTO. This was my first ever time hearing about him, and I do remember vaguely hearing something about bad reviews. Since I don't go to movies any more(too expensive) I had to wait for it to come out on cable. I think the thing that impressed me the most was his acting. To say I was blown away is an understatement. I have not seen a performance that impressed me this much since F. Murray Abraham in "Amadeus" in the 80's. And you know what he won!!! Here I was having to look at the credits at the end to see who this actor was. I saw his name, and it meant nothing, since I did not know who he was. I watched the movie a couple more times, as you really need to see it several times to pick up on all the dialogue and story, as well as catch things you may have missed. I felt this movie was definitely worth watching again, and I am glad I did, for it was the second watching which really woke me up to the beauty and the pathos in this story. I felt the Phantom's anguish so much, that when it was over, I was not only crying, but had a stomach ache from tensing up constantly. Aside from that were all the moments of his beautiful seductive acting, which even at my old age, really got to me. It was nice to know I was not all dried up inside-LOL. :yummy:

Then I went on the net and discovered everything I could about this " new to me "actor. I found him to be a very interesting person, and decided to learn more about him. I especially liked surfing the Phantom sites. I am familiar with it, as I saw the 1943 movie version, and all these years, it has remained with me. This inspired me to read the book, then I bought the 2 Disc Soundtrack and the 2-disc DVD. As it stands now, I have watched it at least 7 times, and feel an urge to watch it again soon. I have had the same favorite movies list since the early sixties. But this has replaced one in my top five, earning the top 5 favorites of mine. Actually it is #3. pretty good for a movie that a lot of critics panned. Of course I rarely agree with them anyway.

The more I listen to him, the better I like his voice. I donot care for rock and pop, so I don't know how I would feell if he sang those, but in this, I doubt if many could have bettered his performance, and I am sure NO ONE could have bettered his acting.

I have always felt that if he had seduced Christine, the critics probably would have given it a better grade. It seems that so many movies today have nude scenes or graphic sex. One of the things that impressed me was that he did not, he loved and respected her and wanted to marry her. Had he seduced her, I doubt if i would have watched it more than once. I found it far more seductive the way they did it. Who could not react to them in the lair, and later in "Past the Point of no Return" which still gets to me.

I love this movie, and I loved Gerry in it. In my book, the only better thing would have been for Christine to be able to look beyond his disfigurement and marry him!!!! :pant:

Spartandax,

:welcome:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. And I feel the same as you! I cannot get enough of Gerry as the Phantom. He was extremely sexy yet it was his acting and ability to act through his vocals which was astounding because most of his face was covered all the time. Sadly, Gerry's Phantom might have received some poor reviews, but he also received some critical international acclaim as well. Who listens to critics anyway? Most of the time, they do not know what they are talking about. As a matter of fact, many, many, people were drawn to Gerard Butler the actor after watching Phantom (and I was one of them :wave: ). Just ask many of the ladies on this board. :)

Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

I have read so many negative reviews about how bad Gerry’s singing in POTO was, and I don’t get it. Why do so many people seem disenchanted by Gerry’s singing, and what makes a singer a beautiful singer if Gerry’s singing wasn’t beautiful (which I thought it was)? I don’t think a whole lot of training necessarily means that a singer is one that is a pleasure to listen to. Let’s look at Patrick Wilson. Don’t get me wrong, I did like his voice (his voice is my second favorite singing voice out of the three leads), but his over trained voice did grate me a bit in the chapel scene between him and Christine before the Phantom’s opera. And no offense to fans of the original Phantom and Christine because most of the time Sarah sounded okay, but in the little bit that I saw of Michael’s and Sarah’s PONR on the Special Features DVD for the 2004 movie, both me and my sister (who liked the 2004 movie but is not as obsessed over it as I am) thought that they sounded off-key. Granted, I didn’t hear their whole version (I don’t have the orginal soundtrack), but Gerry and Emmy definitely made PONR a song more bearable to hear sung. And from the little I heard of Michael’s MOTN (once again no offense to any fans of his because he does have a higher pitch than Gerry does), I liked Gerry’s much better. And Michael and Sarah were trained singers. So, in my opinion, an untrained singer can be a beautiful singer (I know for sure that Gerry was).

True, Gerry was a baritone and not a tenor (so he most likely doesn’t have a huge enough range for stage), but he did hit some high notes very well, and the range of his voice worked just fine for the movie medium. Also, there were times I had to turn to volume up for Patrick and Emmy as well, and they should know how to sing higher than Gerry, very interesting that Gerry was easier to hear than Patrick at times especially in their scene in the lair. So, Gerry is still a beautiful singer.

Also, what really nailed Gerry’s voice for me was the emotional quality of it. Emmy and Patrick sang beautifully as well, and Emmy did a good job of sounding innocent, but Gerry really acted through his singing, you really could hear the emotion in his voice when he sang (which Patrick and Emmy didn’t really do or at least far from the degree that Gerry did). Also, Gerry’s voice has a hypnotizing, memorizing, seductive, sexy, alluring (well you get the point, lol) quality to it that I have never heard in any other singer I have ever heard.

So, I don’t care what some people out there say. Just because Gerry is not Michael (and I really thought that Gerry sounded more like the Phantom should sound than Michael did), and just because Gerry sounds different from what most people are use to hearing from the Phantom doesn’t mean that he is bad. Different isn’t always bad, in Gerry’s case it was beautiful.

Please feel free to give me a comment because I really want to know what you gals think makes a singer a beautiful one, especially since Gerry’s voice is one of the main reasons why the critics slammed him so badly (what do critics know?).

well they obviously haven't see the movie Mama Mia. I loved it personally and think Pierce Brosnan did a great job. He has really gotten rough critical remarks but I think he was pretty good. He had alot of balls to even think of doing it in the first place.

A true singer believes in what he/she is singing. I love it when you see a singer cry which means it is coming from the heart. I thought Gerry was great in POTO. I have seen Julio Iglesias 4 times and keep going back. I love all kinds of music and I realize his isn't for everybody but he so believes in what he is singing.

that is a true singer.