Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry signing autographs at elegy premiere

If a refusal is going to be that emotionally devastating then perhaps fans should re-examine their own motives and comfort levels - and not ask to begin with.

I agree.

I would imagine this isn't the first nor will it be the last time Gerry has told someone "no". And in a situation like that...he isn't tuned into who is a "real fan" and who isn't. It's a crowd of strangers all trying to get their piece of him for whatever reason. He can't differentiate between someone who just happened to be there and wants an autograph of a famous person...or someone who is a long-time fan who may have gone through a great deal to realize the dream of meeting him. He's in a hurry, he's got things to do, and he just can't worry about all of that.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of years ago, I was in NYC at a John Corbett Band show, that was playing at the club part owned by Chris Noth. I am a huge fan of Chris Noth's and was thrilled to see him show up for John's band and have a "Sex and the City" reunion of sorts.

After the show, John was doing pictures and autographs as he always does after his shows... Chris was mingling thru the bar, being hounded by women (go figure huh?).

Chris had come over to the jukebox where my girlfriend and I were standing. My girlfriend politely asked him if she could get a picture of him and I, and he looked at her, put his hand on her shoulder and said, "Honey, I can't." "If I do it for you, then I will have to do it with everyone."

Honestly, I respected and understood that.

He wasn't there to be hounded by women.

He was there to see his friend and fellow co-stars band.

I am a celebrity "fanaddict" and I have met my share...

But I also know boundries and that there is a time & place for everything.

Gerry did nothing wrong saying "NO" to the girl and she should have been just tickled pink to be able to see him in person, if not anything else! JMO

Reported recently in the news.......A friend tells a recent story which illustrates the point. After watching as Sir Sean rebuffed yet another autograph hunter in the street with a typical four-letter rebuke, the friend asked Connery why he was so reluctant to sign his name for his fans.

'I'm not getting paid for it,' barked back Connery. 'These b******s sell my signature on the internet for hundreds of dollars. They're making a killing off my back.' Maybe it's a Scottish thing, knowing when they are being taken for a ride!

hugs,

Anna X

After reading all this business about what these autograph seekers do..(because believe me I was completely in the dark) I can now say ...Gerry did what he had to do and that's say NO period!! I just can't understand why people do this anyway.....and who buys these autographs? I don't know maybe I live in the past too much but stuff like this I never heard of before! Like someone said I would just be thrilled to meet him or even just see him in the FLESH!

:wave: Frannie

I would never have the nerve to speak to Gerry if I saw him. I don't really see the point of autographs except maybe sports figures signing baseballs, hockey sticks, etc... If someone is at a movie premiere, I think pictures & autographs are expected. Walking down the street & being asked for pictures & autographs is an intrusion of privacy.

How fooking sad is it that now celebrities won't sign an autograph or take a picture becuase someone else is making a buck off their image?

When I first starting reading the thread I thought, "Oh, dammit, Gerry. You could have said that nicer." I saw he was in a HUGE hurry, and really didn't want to be there. Kinda broke my heart a little.

Then as someone said, it wasn't his premiere and he didn't need to go over to the people at all.

THEN I saw the advertisement at the end of the video and that's when I knew what Gerry was feeling. He is such a smart man. He has said before that he can tell the BSers from the real fans, and this proves it. As since we're all real fans here, we should actually appreciate this video and respect him for not giving into these people. Also, that "NO" was the same no he gave those girls on the Robertson Blvd. video. That was what I thought of when I saw this.

Now, does he sign things knowing they will be sold? Yes, and probably because when he's in such a hurry like that he really can't tell who is who. But from personal experience, when Gerry knows you're a real fan asking for an autograph, he's generous and playful. After he signed my autograph at PSILY, about two people later he said no becuase he knew that wasn't a real fan. Just an eBay whore (it was a man).

I just adore and respect that man so much.

Lisa

Okay.......Lisa is it? Hi ...don't think we've met but I really appreciate your imput.

It's nice to meet you Frannie.

I don't think I'd be much interested in buying an autograph from a seller. It's different from getting one yourself.

I have a favorite author. Instead of ordering her book from Amazon I ordered it from a bookstore near her home. She has a deal with them and signs books people order, if they request it. So I received my signed book and was perfectly happy with it. Later though I saw her give a speech at a booksigning for her new book and I went up and had her sign my book. That signiture is much more meaningful to me, because it is memories of a good evening, and I got to see her, etc.

If Gerry signed a poster for charity or something, that might be neat to have, but I don't think I'd want just a signiture on a photo that someone else got.

I've heard Rosie O'Donnell go OFF about fans trying to get autographs. She doesn't understand why adults want them, LOL!

When I FIRST became a Gerry fan, I didn't know any of this. He's my first heavy celebrity crush so I didn't know any better, and I bought I think two or three "signed" pics off e-Bay. Then when I got to know other Gerry fans and Gerry better, I found out the truth. That the signatures are either faked or just scanned and copied.

My personally autographed pic of Gerry is one of my prized possessions. All the others are tucked away (I didn't get rid of them becuase they ARE pictures of him), but the one he signed for ME is proudly displayed. I wouldn't trade that for a million fake ones no matter how good the picture is. I would rather NOT have an autograph then have a fake one or one I bought without his consent.

I know there are people who feel they may never have a chance to have an autograph so they buy these, but I hope they would think about Gerry's feelings and honoring him before their own "desires".

Lisa

Autograph selling is big business. There is a poster on eBay right now for the movie Twilight (coming out in December) that was signed at Comic-Con - the auction doesn't end until tomorrow night and the bidding is already up to $866! At Comic-Con, unlike maybe other conventions, those who sign autographs are NOT allowed to charge for the autograph but you can be required to purchase something (a shirt, a book, a picture) in order to get a ticket to an autograph line. For Watchmen the NECA booth sold t-shirts for $30 a pop which you had to buy to get a ticket for the autograph line for Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Carla Gaugino and Jackie Earle Haley. I got one because I'm a fan of JDM. When I got up to the autograph area they handed me a poster signed by Carla and told me to leave. I asked if I could get Jeffrey's - I was told "NO you get what we give you, now go!" (talk about rudeness - those guys working that booth were VERY rude!) So off I went, having only been able to say "Hi, Jeffrey" and getting a beautiful "Hi" and a smile back from him. Apparently later in the same line they were giving out posters that had been signed by all 3. :tantrum: Last week on eBay one of those went for over $400 and another went for over $500!! Maybe these are bought by collectors, who want limited-edition items for a movie that is expected to be a big hit. I wouldn't know. My Carla-signed poster is in the trunk of my car.

There is a seller on eBay who, following nearly every Gerry appearance for a premiere, puts up at least a dozen pictures she claims he signed for her there. Having attended a couple of premieres now I KNOW Gerry never signs more than one autograph for someone, and certainly doesn't stand there signing a dozen of them for ONE person! First of all the autographs she sells don't even LOOK like a real Gerry autograph, and she's been known to "borrow" a fan photo from the same event to post as her "authentication" that she was really there. One of those fans whose picture was "borrowed" is a friend of mine who reported the seller to eBay, but she keeps coming back with more fake autographs.

So there is a BIG BIG market out there for autographed items and memorabilia. For the Vegas convention this year Gerry signed 3 items, specifically for the purpose of the charity fund raising. Plus I had the poster he and JDM signed at the PSILY premiere, also for the convention. Those we certainly wanted people to be willing to pay for, it's one of the best ways we have found to raise money for charity. Another one is having a lovely and great guy like Martin Delaney come to the convention, voluntarily pose for photos and sign autographs, and then auction off his very own jeans!! Thanks, Martin, love you bunches!!

And Lisa is right, Gerry gets to where he recognizes some of the autograph hounds - he sees them often enough - and he will refuse to give them anything, because they will just keep trying to get more and more from him. I've seen them at premieres - they come armed with piles of pictures and they somehow try to get the celeb to keep signing more of them. It is also a distraction for the star from the people who are truly there to support him, who want a photo or an autograph as a memoir of a special moment in time, something they would never sell on eBay! I still believe Gerry appreciates that.

It just all boils down to the actual circumstances and that we don't get enough of out of that video...if she was a true fan like all of us and not knowing how things work, asked for it and he abruptly told her NO then I feel bad for her...it would hurt my feelings if it were me...not all people attending these events know how things work and what to expect. BUT if she was one of these abusers of the moment and was trying to milk him for what she could, then I would say she got what she deserved. I do think he had just signed something for her and then she turned around and asked for a pic...so he didn't feel like doing it...I thought he was kind of abrupt and rude about it and he could of been a little nicer...but he's only human and not perfect by all means. Even for a celeb it has to be nerve racking when you are attending an event like that on your time and people are trying to take advantage of a nice gesture to his fans. Those that push for so many autographs and then sell them on Ebay make it hard for true fans to get an autograph or picture..that stinks.
Guest pamelajane

This thread has been a real "eye-opener" for me. I never knew there were actual "auotograph hounds", I always thought that that was just an expression. How sad for the real fans and the celebrities they come to see. I would imagine it takes a lot of time and effort to come to these premieres and Gerry is equally giving the time and effort he has to converse with his fans. Just the mere effort , on his part, is great. Gerry knows who his real fans are and it shows in the videos I've watched of the premieres. I'm so happy for those who have had the priviledge of meeting or just seeing him in person. I know there's alot of us out there who would like to have the same priviledge one day, although, I'd probably miss the whole thing because I'd be passed out on the sidewalk! :wuv:

Cheers,

Pam

I know the journal you are talking about as it was linked on imdb. She just happened to come across the premiere by going to see what was supposed to be an exhibition of pics at the Tribecca Grand or something similar.

Nice that she found her way into the after party etc and also had a blog to tell us all about it!!!!!!!! :funnyup:

Moira

I'm not really commenting on the Gerry signature thing.

HAS ANYONE WATCHED THE TRAILER TO ELEGY??! Holey carp. ( R for sexuality, nudity and language.)

Can you imagine sitting in the theatre watching THAT with Gerry? *klench* Talk about going home and :hump:

I want desperately to see this, but it's not playing in Oklahoma! :crybaby: Looks like DVD for me...

Me either. I'd rather have a picture and hug memory than a squiggle of ink. I certainly would never pay for a signature if I hadn't been the one to acquire it.

Did any of you watch the trailer?! :thud: Can you imagine GERRY, Manly Man, sitting by himself watching such a thing -- all alone with his "thoughts" ... Poor guy... Definitely a 3am kinda night for him...

I'm not really commenting on the Gerry signature thing.

HAS ANYONE WATCHED THE TRAILER TO ELEGY??! Holey carp. ( R for sexuality, nudity and language.)

Can you imagine sitting in the theatre watching THAT with Gerry? *klench* Talk about going home and :hump:

I want desperately to see this, but it's not playing in Oklahoma! :crybaby: Looks like DVD for me...

Sorry Holl. That "Elegy" trailer did NOTHING for me.

The ""Vicky Cristina Barcelona" trailer however, DID do something for me. mmmmmm Javier!

I gotta agree with ya KT. Are we watching the same trailer Holly? But honestly if I was sitting next to gerry watching ANY trailer I would have trouble focusing on the screen. :D

Sorry Holl. That "Elegy" trailer did NOTHING for me.

The ""Vicky Cristina Barcelona" trailer however, DID do something for me. mmmmmm Javier!

I could SO cheat on Gerry with Javier ... :swoon:

ETS - *ahem* To clarify, lest anyone think my loyalty to Gerry is less than total, both Gerry and Javier have - IMHO - a passionate, b*lls-out, masculinity that is very much alike and makes me *shiver* *quiver* a little weak-in-the-knees :heat: .

Edited by Constance