Gerard Butler GALS

Why Doesn't Gerry Do The Sword Fighting Scene?

gerran

I’ve read somewhere that a stunt man is used for the Phantom in the sword fighting scene. I was just wondering why Gerry didn’t do the sword fighting himself. After all, he does know how to swing a sword. I would like to hear all of your opinions on this matter. And I was wondering, does Gerry do the other stunt work in this movie, such as all the Joseph Buquet chase scene and the scene where the Phantom jumps down to attack Piangi? Thanks.

I’ve read somewhere that a stunt man is used for the Phantom in the sword fighting scene. I was just wondering why Gerry didn’t do the sword fighting himself. After all, he does know how to swing a sword. I would like to hear all of your opinions on this matter. And I was wondering, does Gerry do the other stunt work in this movie, such as all the Joseph Buquet chase scene and the scene where the Phantom jumps down to attack Piangi? Thanks.

I recall on the extras on the Phantom dvd, Gerry did some of the swordwork, not 100% of it as Patrick Wilson has had so much stage training with swords, he did 100% of his swordwork. I too thought Gerry had sword training prior to Phantom - Attila, Timeline, maybe a couple other movies, so I found that statement kind of odd. I thought Gerry would be able to do all of his sword fighting. Perhaps it was the mask...maybe that and the cape hindered him too much. I would like to hear other Gals' thoughts

However, I really do not know whether Gerry did all the stunts up on the catwalks.

If I'm not mistaken Patrick was actually on his college fencing team so he had more than stage training in swordfighting. Gerry wanted to do all of his own too but Joel Schumacher was concerned that it was too dangerous for him to go up against Patrick who had far more official training and skill so a stuntman does some of the Phantom's sword work in the movie.

I was thinking earlier that during the times I have watched the Special Features DVD for the 2004 movie, I saw the Phantom’s mask get knocked into his face. Maybe that’s why they didn’t want Gerry to do all of sword fighting scene, they didn’t want the mask knocking into his face and possibly hurting him. Just something I was thinking about. Thanks for the info on Patrick’s background in sword fighting. I didn't know those things because I'm too busy learning about our dear Gerry, lol.