Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
GreenEyes

7/17 July's ELLE interview

I don't know exactly where to post this. I translated it from Portuguese. I think it gives us a good glimpse into who is Gerry and the reasons why he went to India. :) So I'm putting it here, in the Beauty of his Soul!

http://blog.newsfree.com.br/category/filmes/

On 17th of July of 2008 to 21:02 · William Volcov - Straight of the Editorial staff in SP · Filed under Movies It

Interviews with the Actor Gerard Butler

Gerard Butler, King Leonidas, after 300 blows up at the cinema and in the papers, did not stop being besieged. Both for Hollywood, which bombs him with offers, and for the fans, who started to pursue him in the streets. In an exclusive interview to the July ELLE, the actor reveals details of his run.

Frightened with the sudden fame, the actor did a spiritual retirement for India. “I panicked with the success that came overnight. Now I am already recovered, ready to face the tiger up front”, guarantees Butler, which began to practice yoga and meditation last year and he walks in a zen phase. In spite of the whole siege, the Scot says not to want to lose the spontaneity of the anonymity: "If you do not put the focus at the certain place, it is easy to be seduced by the glamour of cinema”.

A bachelor, the actor confesses still not to have found the certain girl. “Some days, I thank God that I am unmarried, since I am surviving everything. But there are moments in which I am wishing to be with someone. Principally when I travel and finish alone in a hotel room”, he unburdens himself.

Butler fell in love with Brazil, he says that he might live in a country like Brazil, where there is an atmosphere of almost tangible happiness: "Any one smiles when he or she has Rio de Janeiro as a scenery”.

Next Friday (day 18/7), the actor returns to the cinema, in the movie Nim's Island, playing up to Jodie Foster. He also will be in RocknRolla (of Guy Ritchie, husband of Madonna), in the futurist thriller Game and in the romantic comedy The Ugly Truth, what still has not dates for premieres in Brazil. And, the next year, he begins to film The Untouchables: Capone Rising and Law Abiding Citizen.

And once again this article confirms what some of us have seen all along. This man's heart and soul ARE beautiful. I don't care if he fook's up sometimes. I don't care if he is caught hanging out at clubs and appears to be a playboy. I don't care if he makes lots of money, or if his film roles are questionable or if some folks think he's just in it for the fame.

He is a beautiful human being.

He knows when he's vulnerable

He knows when he's in danger of succumbing to pride

And he knows when it's time to pull back.

I adore him.

Swannie

Swannie, you're absolutely right. He is a beautiful human being, with all his imperfections and weaknesses, and yet he is profound and wise and is not afraid to show vulnerability. To me, this makes sense of the reasons why I am his fan. I love him just as he is, for his talent, but most of all, for who he is once the curtain drops. He's a simple man.

:wuv:

Green... do you have have any tissues??? *sniff*

Edited by Swansong

Swannie and Boo.....I could not have expressed my feelings about the man any better than the two of you! He is vunerable and unsure of himself and what does he do? Seeks out his spiritual side! Seek and Ye shall find Gerry!

:D Frannie

And once again this article confirms what some of us have seen all along. This man's heart and soul ARE beautiful. I don't care if he fook's up sometimes. I don't care if he is caught hanging out at clubs and appears to be a playboy. I don't care if he makes lots of money, or if his film roles are questionable or if some folks think he's just in it for the fame.

I adore him.

Swannie

Thank you! You said what I was feeling inside but could not put into words.

Thanks for the tissue... I was out. *wipes eyes*

Sad that fans started pursuing Gerry in the streets. I don't think this man likes being boxed in. It's one thing when he attends a public appearance where he expects to see his fans and enjoys having them there.... but from this article, he does NOT not like being bothered on his own time. I don't blame him, and if I happen to ever see him in my town, I will smile to myself, "OMFB... that's Gerry!" but I will never approach him.

Swannie

Stars are entitled to their privacy, just like we all are. I think harassing them on the street is a major lack of respect for them.

Would I talk to Gerry if I saw him on the street? Nope, not unless he spoke to me first. Maybe I'd say a very discreet "hello" if he noticed me staring at him like a starstruck girl. LOL

I adore him.

Swannie

EXACTLY!!! i have never thought the man was perfect (I think if he was it would be boring) and I appreciate the fact that he shows us glimpses of his vulnerability. Yeah, he is handsome and charming, but it's his soul and spirit that have driven me to join a fan forum and stay active for almost a year. And THAT is why he has such loyal fans.

Edited to say: Swannie I LOOOOVE your siggy!

Edited by Jenny85

I am glad Gerry is not like the others of Hollywood that randomly run out and let fame take over. Instead, he wants to tame it down a bit and not fall back into the pitfalls of his previous life, not so many years ago. He knows first hand what can happen when you spiral out of control. This to me shows he wants keep be happy and centered first, and only then the rest of his life will fall into place. He sees those who are false that want to trap him into things and situations he doesn't care to be associated with. He needs peace and tranquility to make him happy.

Someday Gerry, you will nearly trip over the right woman for you. She will knock you off your feet. You will know her when you see her. Not all love is meant to happen over night. Yours will grow out of the most unexpected of places. Be patient.

Keep smiling, for you make me smile, when I see in your eyes the peace you have made with yourself. In that, I do envy you.

Edited by Timeflies

After what I've read about how he was in Comic Con, I think Gerry needs to go back to India.

Please don't get mad at me, but I think he's having some coping issues.

:hearts:

Josie

Edited by Ms. Hyde

Awwww Gerry...you do have your head on straight. Keep that focus and you'll be ok. I must admit, I don't know anything about a Zen phase.

It's that gentle under belly showing that gets me every time... right into the heart. Pass the tissues this way please.

Sally

Edited by cybrsal

Love him . . . love him . . . love him . . .

I"m so glad he found peace in India, and is ready to face Hollywood again. Thank GOD he knew what needed to be done for his soul, and followed his heart. This could have gone a very different way for Gerry and I'm just glad he's the brilliant and insightful man that he is.

Thanks for this interview!!

Lisa

I know I'm the decenting opinion here, but I haven't been on the board in a long time and to me the light seems to be out of his eyes. Where did that guy go?

He just doesn't seem happy. It's non of my busines but I just think it's sad.

I know there are some who think he just looks tired but I think it's alot more than that.

I don't want him to go all Tom Cruise either but I wish he'd find some sort of balance.

- J

Josie, I know what you mean. Before he took his latest break, I was getting worried too. But then the pics from Comic Con were posted, and honestly... I think the light is back in those eyes. I think his smile reaches all the way into them.

http://www.gbgalsgallery.com/v/partiesetc/...008-08.jpg.html

Edited by Swansong

Josie, I know what you mean. Before he took his latest break, I was getting worried too. But then the pics from Comic Con were posted, and honestly... I think the light is back in those eyes. I think his smile reaches all the way into them.

Well, considering I received quite a bashing for my worrying about him before he left (not from you, Swannie - you know that), I think I feel vindicated. Not that it matters or anything. :lol:

The light is CERTAINLY back, and the caution that he now has is something he desperately needed in order to remain the same Gerry and still be safe out there.

I'm very, very proud of him.

Lisa

Swansong,

I think this picture indicates exactly what I was talking about. Just look at those empty eyes. They used to sparkle and they don't anymore.

He also has such a puffy face which leads me to believe he's not well.

I'm ot saying these things to be rude, because I still consider myself a fan, I'm just very confused about how poorly he seems to be handling his so-called fame. Some people handle fame well and others don't. I think it's obvious he doesn't. He even says so in the article.

I know there are many who don't want me to post this kind of thing and I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I'm wondering if others see what I'm seeing.

I don't dare say anymore right now.

- J

Sorry, Ms. Hyde, but I don't see what you see.

I see a man who is refreshed and ready to get back to the business of making movies and enjoying life. Maybe you see age? Maybe a little wisdom and Hollywood smarts? But not sadness . . . that is not what I see at all.

If you look at the pictures from India, there you will see some type of sadness, emptiness in his eyes. When I look at the Comic Con pics, I see a man who has grown into his own; a man who knows what he wants and how to get it.

I think some fans expect Gerry to remain the same guy he was 3 years ago on all those Leno and Ferguson shows, etc. He cannot stay that same guy . . . he has to grow and change just like the rest of us. He is learning more about himself as a person and as a professional actor. Can't expect that wide-eyed kid from Glasgow to still be there.

I wouldn't trade Gerry now for anything in the world. He looks better, sounds more confident and is growing as an actor.

I think going to India in March and then home and Israel and wherever else he went over the summer was the BEST thing he could have done for himself.

JMHO.

Lisa

Sorry, Ms. Hyde, but I don't see what you see.

I see a man who is refreshed and ready to get back to the business of making movies and enjoying life. Maybe you see age? Maybe a little wisdom and Hollywood smarts? But not sadness . . . that is not what I see at all.

If you look at the pictures from India, there you will see some type of sadness, emptiness in his eyes. When I look at the Comic Con pics, I see a man who has grown into his own; a man who knows what he wants and how to get it.

I think some fans expect Gerry to remain the same guy he was 3 years ago on all those Leno and Ferguson shows, etc. He cannot stay that same guy . . . he has to grow and change just like the rest of us. He is learning more about himself as a person and as a professional actor. Can't expect that wide-eyed kid from Glasgow to still be there.

I wouldn't trade Gerry now for anything in the world. He looks better, sounds more confident and is growing as an actor.

I think going to India in March and then home and Israel and wherever else he went over the summer was the BEST thing he could have done for himself.

JMHO.

Lisa

Lisa,

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Whilst everyone ages, that is not what I'm seeing.

I read those articles about him and some of the things he said and how he acted at Comic Con made him sound flip, cocky and rude. I never thought of him as being that way and was taken aback by those articles. I wasn't there, but I've read enough articles about the panels to know that not that many people could be lying or streching the truth. Most people still don't know who he is regardless of what the article says and behavior like Comic Con can't help his image any.

I agree that getting out of Hollyweird was the best thing for him and maybe being in NYC is good for him too, but it seems he sure has been making alot of public appaerances out there. I wonder why his managment thinks he needs to be seen so much. He doesn't have anything that he's supposed to be acting in and to me, that spells trouble.

I'm sorry if I've made anyone upset, but this is what I'm seeing and though I haven't been active on the Gerry boards, I have been keeping up with his career and I don't like what I see. I hope he hasn't become on of those Hollyweird types that forgets his long-time friends and fans (not that he knows who we are) who have supported him because he's too popular for them now. I'm not saying he has, but I don't know. I'm just so disappointed and saddened that he doesn't seem like the man I thought was once so nice and kind.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

I'm going to go take cover somewhere now because I'm sure my post won't be well recieved. I honestly mean no harm.

- J

I'm sorry if I've made anyone upset, but this is what I'm seeing and though I haven't been active on the Gerry boards, I have been keeping up with his career and I don't like what I see. I hope he hasn't become on of those Hollyweird types that forgets his long-time friends and fans (not that he knows who we are) who have supported him because he's too popular for them now. I'm not saying he has, but I don't know. I'm just so disappointed and saddened that he doesn't seem like the man I thought was once so nice and kind.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

I'm going to go take cover somewhere now because I'm sure my post won't be well recieved. I honestly mean no harm.

- J

No need to take cover...or say you're sorry, at least not to me.

You are entitled to your opinion as we all are.

Keep posting.

I personally think Gerry has turned into a man over this last year. He has lost the boyish looks and to be honest at 38 I prefer him more masculine. I do think he is much more at ease with his own personality and feeling he can speak how he feels not feeling he has anything to prove anymore. Was it an act before and he is showing what he is realy like - who knows - he has said if we really knew him we probably wouldn't like him - but to me he is a typical Scotsman in nature etc and being Scottish I like what I see.

Ms Hyde you are not as such bashing him so don't feel you have to run for cover. It would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Moira

Green Eyes...thank you so much for translating this article. It's just what I needed to read about Gerry at this point. I think it's hard for him to stay the course in Hollywood without going off the rails and he realizes this. Hearing how he feels about this has made all the difference in the world to me.

Thank you!

:wuv::D

GreenEyes - Thanks for the translation and find!!! Great read!

I personally think Gerry has turned into a man over this last year. He has lost the boyish looks and to be honest at 38 I prefer him more masculine. I do think he is much more at ease with his own personality and feeling he can speak how he feels not feeling he has anything to prove anymore. Was it an act before and he is showing what he is realy like - who knows - he has said if we really knew him we probably wouldn't like him - but to me he is a typical Scotsman in nature etc and being Scottish I like what I see.

Ms Hyde you are not as such bashing him so don't feel you have to run for cover. It would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Moira

Moira, I think you've nailed it.

When I watch Gerry's interviews from earlier in his career, he seems to be trying really hard -- whether it's to be funny or sincere. I am NOT saying he's faking it -- just trying really hard. He seems more relaxed in his own skin, now, and I'm happy for him.

Thank you, GreenEyes!! This is a great find and you're wonderful to translate for us. :goodjob:

Connie