Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
GreenEyes

7/17 July's ELLE interview

Sorry, Ms. Hyde, but I don't see what you see.

I see a man who is refreshed and ready to get back to the business of making movies and enjoying life. Maybe you see age? Maybe a little wisdom and Hollywood smarts? But not sadness . . . that is not what I see at all.

If you look at the pictures from India, there you will see some type of sadness, emptiness in his eyes. When I look at the Comic Con pics, I see a man who has grown into his own; a man who knows what he wants and how to get it.

I think some fans expect Gerry to remain the same guy he was 3 years ago on all those Leno and Ferguson shows, etc. He cannot stay that same guy . . . he has to grow and change just like the rest of us. He is learning more about himself as a person and as a professional actor. Can't expect that wide-eyed kid from Glasgow to still be there.

I wouldn't trade Gerry now for anything in the world. He looks better, sounds more confident and is growing as an actor.

I think going to India in March and then home and Israel and wherever else he went over the summer was the BEST thing he could have done for himself.

JMHO.

Lisa

Lisa,

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Whilst everyone ages, that is not what I'm seeing.

I read those articles about him and some of the things he said and how he acted at Comic Con made him sound flip, cocky and rude. I never thought of him as being that way and was taken aback by those articles. I wasn't there, but I've read enough articles about the panels to know that not that many people could be lying or streching the truth. Most people still don't know who he is regardless of what the article says and behavior like Comic Con can't help his image any.

I agree that getting out of Hollyweird was the best thing for him and maybe being in NYC is good for him too, but it seems he sure has been making alot of public appaerances out there. I wonder why his managment thinks he needs to be seen so much. He doesn't have anything that he's supposed to be acting in and to me, that spells trouble.

I'm sorry if I've made anyone upset, but this is what I'm seeing and though I haven't been active on the Gerry boards, I have been keeping up with his career and I don't like what I see. I hope he hasn't become on of those Hollyweird types that forgets his long-time friends and fans (not that he knows who we are) who have supported him because he's too popular for them now. I'm not saying he has, but I don't know. I'm just so disappointed and saddened that he doesn't seem like the man I thought was once so nice and kind.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

I'm going to go take cover somewhere now because I'm sure my post won't be well recieved. I honestly mean no harm.

- J

Ms Hyde,

I think you have made a very poignant observation.

I do detect something in Gerard that is a little lost or unhappy. He is working very hard and must sometimes long for a 'normal' life.

I hope that someday he truly finds what he is looking for, because I believe that he is searching. I think this is what you have detected in him. He will find it; maybe not too soon but he will.

Edited by jackie62

You're welcome. :) It made my day when I read this article and I just had to bring it here.

I agree with Moira. I think Gerry became a man. He's alot less naive than he was and that's not a bad thing in this business. I'm happy to see that he has the capacity and wisdom to put his fame and glory in check and keep a cool head about it all. Like I said last night, this makes it all worth while for me and I'm proud of him and who he is.

As for his looks, I don't think he looks less attractive. In fact, I think he gets better with age. He's more virile and less boyish and that's a very very very good thing! :wuv:

I personally think Gerry has turned into a man over this last year. He has lost the boyish looks and to be honest at 38 I prefer him more masculine. I do think he is much more at ease with his own personality and feeling he can speak how he feels not feeling he has anything to prove anymore. Was it an act before and he is showing what he is realy like - who knows - he has said if we really knew him we probably wouldn't like him - but to me he is a typical Scotsman in nature etc and being Scottish I like what I see.

Ms Hyde you are not as such bashing him so don't feel you have to run for cover. It would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Moira

This is exactly what I meant - thank you Moira for putting it more succinctly.

And thank you Green Eyes for the translation! Great job.

Lisa

Just when I thought I couldn't adore him any more than I did...he goes and does this, I love the honesty, I do, any actor that is honest in interviews I adore, but especially Gerry because success really hasn't changed him, to be open enough to admit that he gets lonely especially in hotels when he goes back alone. The man just kills me.

He's a beautiful man that he's.

Cassie

I personally think Gerry has turned into a man over this last year. He has lost the boyish looks and to be honest at 38 I prefer him more masculine. I do think he is much more at ease with his own personality and feeling he can speak how he feels not feeling he has anything to prove anymore. Was it an act before and he is showing what he is realy like - who knows - he has said if we really knew him we probably wouldn't like him - but to me he is a typical Scotsman in nature etc and being Scottish I like what I see.

Ms Hyde you are not as such bashing him so don't feel you have to run for cover. It would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Moira

I agree with you Moira. I'm 38, ahh!! 39 in November and I can honestly say I've lost a lot of the fresh look that I may have had a few years back. I think he looks great. I love his laugh lines. I think he's just aged perfectly.!!

He also had a lot on his plate these past few years. A lot of travelling, a lot of crap to put up with from the paps, probably he's out on the town a bit more going to this function and that.

Whatever the case, I think if he's tired, there's a reason. Don't we all have days like that?

My personal opinion, not that it matters, is he's just fine. He's doing what he loves and living the life he wanted. He'll take the highs and lows of it all just fine.

“But there are moments in which I am wishing to be with someone. Principally when I travel and finish alone in a hotel room”

I totally relate to that ;)

I love how he analyzes himself and is able to see he is getting lost and how he manages to get back on track.

Thanks for the article GreenEyes :wave:

Observations:

Fame hit Gerry like a runaway truck with 300. After that, it was only a matter of a very short time before people started really looking at his previous work and the fame has only grown by leaps and bounds since that time.

I lived in the So. Cal. area, Beverly Hills, Malibu and Camarillo in particular. The hollyweird crowd are like aliens from another planet - no, actually a whole 'nother freaking galaxy. They have their own agendas like nothing I've ever experienced before or since.

Along comes Gerry Butler - a really decent, hardworking, magnificent actor. Yes, he is doing a job, but he is doing it with heart. He's one of those people who puts a little bit of himself in each and every role he plays - maybe even more than a little bit.

I've worked in medicine for my entire adult life and I've seen doctors and nurses who do the same thing. They will literally go to the wall for their profession. Gerry is not really any different.

The problem he faces now is learning how NOT to trust, learning how to recognize the genuine from the fake. In hollyweird, sometimes that doesn't happen until the fake rises up and takes a bite outta your a$$ and your heart.

Anyone willing to look can see that Gerry is one very, very special person who loves the work he does. He is also someone who has been dangerously close to the edge. You don't live to tell about that without gaining some very deep insight into yourself and those around you.

It truly would not surprise me if Gerry began to develop something of a harder edge so that he can cope with the insanity that is the US entertainment industry. I continue to hope that it doesn't happen, but the celeb culture in this country can destroy even the most decent people.

Gerry, you just be sure to take care of yourself and remember: Who loves ya' babe? :kisswink:

And once again this article confirms what some of us have seen all along. This man's heart and soul ARE beautiful. I don't care if he fook's up sometimes. I don't care if he is caught hanging out at clubs and appears to be a playboy. I don't care if he makes lots of money, or if his film roles are questionable or if some folks think he's just in it for the fame.

He is a beautiful human being.

He knows when he's vulnerable

He knows when he's in danger of succumbing to pride

And he knows when it's time to pull back.

I adore him.

Swannie

Swannie,

I don't post here much anymore, but I just have to say, I love the way you put the words in our hearts

into language we can understand. Yer a bonny lass. LOL

BTW, I LOVE your siggie.................. :pant:

I feel that I need to apologize for my post to Ms. Hyde. I didn't mean to sound so antagonistic or assertive or whatever. I wrote that at 2:00 am, nervous about my job interview today, and a few other excuses. Please forgive the tone.

I just agree with Moira and Swannie - both of whom have a much better way with words than I do when it comes to Gerry. I let my emotions get the best of me when he's concerned.

But I love him and am proud of the man he's grown into in Hollywood. I also think we are so blessed that even after all that, he still feels comfortable divulging a bit of his life for us to get a glimpse into the real Gerry.

I love him for being so real.

Lisa

He sure didn't project anything but pleasure over the past year+ when he was caught on camera, at premiers or giving interviews. The man made 4 movies in a row, non-stop (I'm surprised he can remember his own name), not to mention starting a production company, and doing promotions for his movies - not to mention his affinity for nightclubs and the action therein. Whew! I am tired just writing about it. It is great that he is taking some time off...

:hmm:

p.s. My opinion: He was in his element at Comicon, and very happy with all of the attention. It was just a few years back I can remember his being ignored by the press, and Hollywood producers, and a few "Are you someone famous?" thrown his way. This has to be much more satisfying...and fun.

:bounce:

Josie, I know what you mean. Before he took his latest break, I was getting worried too. But then the pics from Comic Con were posted, and honestly... I think the light is back in those eyes. I think his smile reaches all the way into them.

http://www.gbgalsgallery.com/v/partiesetc/...008-08.jpg.html

Swansong,

I think this picture indicates exactly what I was talking about. Just look at those empty eyes. They used to sparkle and they don't anymore.

He also has such a puffy face which leads me to believe he's not well.

I'm ot saying these things to be rude, because I still consider myself a fan, I'm just very confused about how poorly he seems to be handling his so-called fame. Some people handle fame well and others don't. I think it's obvious he doesn't. He even says so in the article.

I know there are many who don't want me to post this kind of thing and I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I'm wondering if others see what I'm seeing.

I don't dare say anymore right now.

- J

Ms. Hyde, I would have to say we're on the same page. It seems like the faces on the pictures seem much the same. In too many photos, he looks pissed off. Other photos he seems mostly bored. His smile lacks that humor and thrill I used to see. I dunno, maybe it's me.

Lisa

Josie, I know what you mean. Before he took his latest break, I was getting worried too. But then the pics from Comic Con were posted, and honestly... I think the light is back in those eyes. I think his smile reaches all the way into them.

Swansong,

I think this picture indicates exactly what I was talking about. Just look at those empty eyes. They used to sparkle and they don't anymore.

I'm ot saying these things to be rude, because I still consider myself a fan, I'm just very confused about how poorly he seems to be handling his so-called fame. Some people handle fame well and others don't. I think it's obvious he doesn't. He even says so in the article.

I know there are many who don't want me to post this kind of thing and I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I'm wondering if others see what I'm seeing.

- J

Ms. Hyde, I would have to say we're on the same page. It seems like the faces on the pictures seem much the same. In too many photos, he looks pissed off. Other photos he seems mostly bored. His smile lacks that humor and thrill I used to see. I dunno, maybe it's me.

Lisa

I have to say that I disagree. I think Gerry looks great! If he looks angry in pictures, it's probably because of the Paparrazi who never seem to know when to back off.

Oops! I forgot to say :thankyou: to Danielle for finding and translating this great article!

Ok, don't beat me but I just need to say it! For those who think Gerry lost the fire in his eyes or became boring I would suggest to review the interviews for Nim's Island. This one for example:

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/ind...mp;showfile=413

It was just few months ago and he was very funny and cute there. Ok, his cheeks became bigger, but he became bigger himself. Sorry everybody for my very simple English, but I don't know it good enough to write the great posts you do.

But back to Gerry... The trainings he did during "300" were very hard and weren't very good for his health. Those of us who go to the gym and take it seriously knows about it. But again - he did his best, and he did for us. For those people who watched the movie with the words "Oh, it's the greatest movie I've ever seen!" (Well, the greatest movie I've ever seen was POTO, but he also worked very hard there)

And he worked almost without the break for several years. Remember we all worried that he was working too hard? It was just in Spring! Now he desided to rest for one month and we started to blame him for not working at all.

And again about his look. Like I'm always saying, he is the the most handsome man in the world. And nothing will change it for me. And it's not because I'm a crazy fan and don't see how he looks. It's because he is unique representative of the male sex who has everything that man should have.

And girls, I don't know about the men in western countries (maybe most of them are like Gerry) but for us he is really one the world's wonders. :D

I have to agree, when he was in Italy, he had lost his sparkle, but, when he got back from being with his family, and going to India, he looked rested and a bit happier. With the latest pictures, you can tell he's had it with having his picture taken and being followed every where he goes, show biz I guess

thank you for translating this article, it was very insightful

thank you swan, moira, and catwoman for expressing what i felt and was not able to translate into writing.

Swansong,

- J

Lisa

Ms. Hyde & Lisa, I think the same way with you. I adore Gerry but I'm also aware that he doesn't look genuinely happy and well (in terms of health) like he used to be. He's shooting movies back to back and as much as I'm happy for him getting involved in so many projects I also worry about him. He seems lost in all the Hollywood hype. I took a sigh of relief when I heard that he went to Scotland to be with his family for a while. I have no intention to insult him in any way just wanted to add my opinion. wish him all the best!

I think Gerry is just at the point in his life & career where he is thinking about the choices he has made. He seems to have sacrificed his personal life for his career. He may be regretting that decision at times. He is getting older though I think he gets better. It doesn't seem fair that men usually age better than women! I do feel bad for him having to be alone. Women work & have major careers now. Gerry needs someone who can be free to travel with him. I think he would like to be able to share his beloved Scotland with someone. Also, going to the beautiful Israel alone must be tough. Gerry does seem obsessed with working. Maybe he is nervous that he'll be alone. Time passes very quickly. I hope & pray that he will find true happiness!

Don't you think that he would need a very strong and confident woman to deal with his life style?

Don't you think that he would need a very strong and confident woman to deal with his life style?

Yes, I agree. And I'm right heeeeeeereee!!!!!!!! :wuv:

Lisa

No, Lisa, you aren't alone. I feel the same way. I think it was the article about Sting's party where someone from the press commented that while Gerry was there the women were falling all over themselves trying to hit on him "but he came to the party alone and he LEFT alone"

I also think laxmom is also right in her observations in that he has basically sacrificed his personal life on the altar of his career.

As I understand it, Gerry was raised in a very strict Catholic household. If that is true, then he knows that marriage is for life and it's not a step he will take without deep, serious consideration. I also find it very revealing that, unlike most of the hollyweird crowd, he has no children outside marriage, seems not to have anyone living with him except Lolita. He doesn't even date - at least not "regular" people.

IMHO, this is that rare man who takes relationships seriously - very seriously. I would almost bet the farm that he has plenty of acquaintances but very, very few actual close friends. As for women, he may have "hookups", but I would also bet the farm that the number of serious relationships he's had in his life could be counted on one hand and still not use all five fingers...

I read breifly through some of the posts here and I have to say...I have mixed feelings...I understand where Ms Hyde is coming from but I also understand alot of you who see things in a different prespective. Anyone is entitled to their opinions and I, for one, being a observer at the Wonder Con in San Francisco...I noticed the very same attitude people are reading about at the Comic Con. Now, I can not judge or say anything else but I was one of the people in the crowds and saw with my eyes some of the things that I thought were uncalled for...Maybe..it's just me....

I still...even though..seeing some of this...admire Gerry. I hope the best for him and I can not say what he goes through each day...We can't know that. I've never experienced fame but I know through a celebrity friend that it's plagued with many vices and alot of temptations. It's good to see Gerry releasing alot of that stress through meditation and trying to find some meaning from all of this. I will always wish him the very best. Without knowing it, he has inspired me. I've travleled to places I thought I would never go and met the nicest warmest people through this site and other sites...All I can say is I wish him health, happiness and is surrounded by family and friends who truly wish him the best...