Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
GreenEyes

7/17 July's ELLE interview

He may very well be acting...how are we to know for sure when none of us know the man. If it were me being interviewed I would try to put my best image forward as would the rest of you. It's not a downfall on his character, it just shows he's trying to be entertaining and show a little about himself..which I think he likes to do.

The over analyzing...we all at times have dipped into that...out of curiosity...but it seems lately things have gotten crazy.

We as fans don't have to be the trained dolphins at Sea World...we are a powerhouse of support. Surely he knows this..so we need to just let the man do what he does and sit back and enjoy the ride...don't sit on every word as gold and every gesture as he's a sweet angel from heaven. Gerry is just a man trying to make a living doing what he likes to do.

Guest Pilar

Quoting again....

Frightened with the sudden fame, the actor did a spiritual retirement for India. “I panicked with the success that came overnight. Now I am already recovered, ready to face the tiger up front”, guarantees Butler, which began to practice yoga and meditation last year and he walks in a zen phase. In spite of the whole siege, the Scot says not to want to lose the spontaneity of the anonymity: "If you do not put the focus at the certain place, it is easy to be seduced by the glamour of cinema”.

A bachelor, the actor confesses still not to have found the certain girl. “Some days, I thank God that I am unmarried, since I am surviving everything. But there are moments in which I am wishing to be with someone. Principally when I travel and finish alone in a hotel room”, he unburdens himself.

Look....when the man says something like this, I sit up and take notice. I don't think that makes me overanalytical.

I think we need to remember that Gerry is a good actor. So when he gives these interviews, I think he gives a performance. Of course, there is a little bit of himself in there as well. I think Gerry likes to entertain in an interview. He has a quick wit & sometimes I think he does stick his foot in his mouth. I agree with the girls who would just like to talk with him. I love his thoughts on the making of his movies. His intelligence & sense of humor do it for me!

Speaking only for myself, when I first saw him (in POTO), it was a VERY powerful sexual attraction. A physical blow that flattened me, in a very good way. All of that other stuff (admiring his mind and whatnot) came later.

I guess I've said enough on this thread.

He may very well be acting...how are we to know for sure when none of us know the man. If it were me being interviewed I would try to put my best image forward as would the rest of you. It's not a downfall on his character, it just shows he's trying to be entertaining and show a little about himself..which I think he likes to do.

The over analyzing...we all at times have dipped into that...out of curiosity...but it seems lately things have gotten crazy.

We as fans don't have to be the trained dolphins at Sea World...we are a powerhouse of support. Surely he knows this..so we need to just let the man do what he does and sit back and enjoy the ride...don't sit on every word as gold and every gesture as he's a sweet angel from heaven. Gerry is just a man trying to make a living doing what he likes to do.

Nothing new is happening on this thread. Each time Gerry gives an interview where he says something that seems of depth and introspection, we discuss it. The comments he made in this article are irresistible to those of us who enjoy that aspect of his personality, and really... that's why many of us are members of this community; because we enjoy the man. We enjoy learning about him, watching him grow as a human being, and seeing how he handles the challenges of his life. I think we are invited to do so on this site, so long as we follow the guidelines. A subject which may be a "deadhorse" to some, is still of interest to others. Fans who may not have noticed the thread before now, discover it and then want to join in the discussion... so they post their thoughts, and that starts a whole new cycle of comments. That's just the way these things flow.

Gerry says interesting things... often worthy of discussion.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

I agree with Pilar about the physical attraction. For me, it is Gerry's eyes. I am mesmerized by his eyes & then his dazzling smile. I didn't mean to suggest that every interview is a performance but Gerry is a showman! I too think that Gerry is a very open & honest person but I think he has learned to keep some feelings to himself. I wouldn't want to have to live like Gerry. He is alone except for his work. Friends & family are wonderful. It is the nighttime alone in bed that is tough. It is the lack of having an intimate conversation with someone who loves you just for you. My heart breaks for that part of Gerry's life.

I don't have anything else to say on this...if you are being over analytical...I'm sure you know who you are.

If you are spending all of your time trying to figure him and his problems out then you know you are being over analytical. If him not signing autographs at a premiere upsets you....analyze the fact he might not of had time. Analyze the fact we are all just fans...nothing more...nothing less. Analyze the fact that some fans here are too overbearing and overprotective of Gerry. Analyze the fact that members shouldn't have to swallow the hidden agenda's of other members and those members that lash at other members need to analyze why they are here...you know who you are. *smiles*

Edited by hotlips70

In the past, hasn't Gerry had traumatic experiences with his fans that has embarassed or hurt him so much that it has brought him to tears?

Perhaps his reaction is just a hurt one?

I'm sorry to make assumptions but there is always a reason as to why someone reacts in a nasty way.

I had not heard that before, do you have some sources, I would like to read them. I'm not always up on where to find such articles. I have every reason to believe that it is true, I'm sure he has been embarrassed and probably hurt by comments I have heard shouted at him and he responded with just an "I know" or "Really?" type remark. Even when I have heard unkind remarks shouted at him I have not heard a hurtful response from him, which, nowadays, is kinda surprising. He does seem to have found his voice lately in some instances, but never anything hurtful to a fan to my knowledge. I certainly would not blame him if he did respond in kind, I just have not heard it myself.

Sandy

I think we need to remember that Gerry is a good actor. So when he gives these interviews, I think he gives a performance. Of course, there is a little bit of himself in there as well. I think Gerry likes to entertain in an interview. He has a quick wit & sometimes I think he does stick his foot in his mouth. I agree with the girls who would just like to talk with him. I love his thoughts on the making of his movies. His intelligence & sense of humor do it for me!

Of course we remember he's a WONDERFUL actor. However, I do not for one second think that Gerry is giving a performance in his interviews. Not one bit. I think that Gerry is a very open and honest person, and maybe too much at times.

I trust what he says until HE gives me reason to believe otherwise.

Lisa

I can almost everytime tell when he is acting. You can see him change in the middle of an interview.

For instance, when someione at cc shouted "You're the sexiest man alive" he automatically went into acting mode for a few seconds and then broke down laughing. You can see him change when the question is a little difficult for him to anwer he will go into acting mode. This is not so often as in earlier interviews and it is usually when it is with an interviewer he does not know and does not know what to expect from. You can usually tell when he is just being Gerry and when he has switched modes for a minute or so, or if most of it is acting and he gives way to Gerry for a little bit of an interview. I've seen it in almost every interview. I think the fans that have taken the time to read his body language can tell the difference. It is all apparent with Bonnie from Tribute, CA. He is almost always Gerry with her. I really enjoy her interviews with him. And he is ALMOST ALWAYS, just Gerry in a fan encounter like a premier, etc. I think he was really enjoying himself at cc, knowing so many of his real fans were there and that everyone else on the panel realized it was him they were there for, therefore the Halle slip. I think he realized he had stepped over the boundry and was a little embarrassed when he realized he wasn't just talking with his fans but in a different genre.

Sandy

Nothing new is happening on this thread. Each time Gerry gives an interview where he says something that seems of depth and introspection, we discuss it. The comments he made in this article are irresistible to those of us who enjoy that aspect of his personality, and really... that's why many of us are members of this community; because we enjoy the man. We enjoy learning about him, watching him grow as a human being, and seeing how he handles the challenges of his life. I think we are invited to do so on this site, so long as we follow the guidelines. A subject which may be a "deadhorse" to some, is still of interest to others. Fans who may not have noticed the thread before now, discover it and then want to join in the discussion... so they post their thoughts, and that starts a whole new cycle of comments. That's just the way these things flow.

Gerry says interesting things... often worthy of discussion.

Swannie

Well,

Yep, it's a interest alright...but it's not cause of what Gerry's saying that has them interested now is it? It's what is transpiring between members that has them drawn in.

Edited by hotlips70

OK, I'm going out on a limb here (and I hope that dead horse isn't on it with me or we're in for a nasty fall!!)

Firstly, I don't see most of the conversation on this thread as so much analytical as reactionary. Most of us are just reacting to the words in the article. I think we all are aware we do not know Gerry personally and we never will. So we react to the things he is reported to have said as they shed (perhaps) a little more light on who he is and what he has experienced. No harm, no foul. Some have reacted to things said at various other ocassions, again it is each person's perception and reaction - and since none of us was inhabiting Gerry's brain at the time of Comic Con or Elegy or as he gave this interview, none of us knows for sure what he was thinking or feeling. What we do know is how we responded to his words or actions. So some may find him humorous and some may find him arrogant - and we don't know how much of either is the truth. Opinions are like noses - everyone has one but some are just more prominant (in stating theirs)! But all they are is opinions, reaction and perceptions and we all need to keep in mind that just because someone has a differing point of view doesn't make it wrong, nor does it necessitate rebuttal.

Secondly, for those who are finding these discussions boring, redundant, frustrating, or angering I have to ask what is the purpose of fan site message boards? Did these sites not start because people who became interested in Gerry as an actor and/or as a person wanted a place to discuss him openly with others with a similar interest? If you don't really care for such discussions then it's simple to just not read them, right? For those more inclined to just keeping up with the latest in Gerry news and Gerry photos or videos you can always read the initial post and any links and then skip the inevitable conversation that will follow. None of us will be able to add anything of true value to the stories except in cases where we were there (like those who attended Comic Con). But even then, two people sitting next to each other and seeing and hearing the exact same thing can have two diametrically opposed reactions to it. For the rest, every post that follows a news article, photo or video is just going to be individual points of view. There seems to be an obvious desire for such discussions or these threads would die an early natural death. We as mods or admins try only to act as guardrails to keep the thread from veering too far out of the intended flow of traffic.

Well, not to go TOO off-topic - but I had read somewhere that Mr. Butler had said that he wouldn't have the heart to say "No" to his fans, even if he wanted to. Which is perfectly understandable.

Actually, even if he were like that, I personally wouldn't hold it against him. In fact, I'd consider it a plus.

All I was saying is that he didn't seem his usual buoyant self during interviews, but then he could have been just relaxed and not as vibrant as usual. Although the comment about Halle Berry, considering she's a married woman with a newborn, is still quite shocking and I find that side of his character unattractive and offensive indeed. He certainly doesn't need to use it, he is more than capable of providing an intelligent and "clean" witty comment then having to resort to that kind of talk. But then again, that's just my opinion.

I think Gerry has chilled out a little lately. He used to be 'ALL SCOTTISH" and didn't realize that what he said was not accepted in the same manner as in Scotland. I think the language there, especially among men, is a little more harsh than our culture is accostumed to. I think he still slips back into that every once in a while, and perhaps because of the British group that he was with. This was probably pretty funny and quite acceptable among that British crowd. He had probably slipped by into the UK way of speaking with that group during filming and made a "cultural slip". You could tell that he realized pretty quickly that he had stepped over the boundry and tried to correct by saying "To much?"

He was also feeling like he was among friends(fans) since so many were there to see him, and that sounded more like something he would say in a fan encounter, if asked the same question=Quick response, like spagetti bolonaise-he quickly replied he didn't know if that was his favorite dish, it was just the first thing he thought of. I truly don't think he really meant anything personal and certainly nothing rude. Personally, I would consider it a compliment to think that man even considered me enough to say that, and it certainly didn't hurt her career any. If she is offended, I say shame on her, if I were in her position I would be flattered beyond belief. I haven't heard any other actress he has flattered as being attracted to say they were offended, so if she is I can't understand why. Most actresses would be happy just to have their name mentioned at cc, big career boast. Just my opinion, of course.

Sandy

Gerry makes me happy. If you click on the picture and make him grow, he will make you happy too.

And now, it's time to chant the "Happy Gerry Zen Chant":

"Look into the swim trunks.

Look into the swim trunks.

Ohhhhmmmmm...."

Posted Image

There, now doesn't that make everyone happy happy feelgood???

Who put that ridiculous smiley face there? Are you insane? Remove it immediately and let me try that again.

HEHEHEHEHEHE

Sandy

Thank you Susan . . . I almost said the same thing on Sunday morning but not as nice as you. :D If you don't like what's on TV, change the channel.

Sandy, I think she was talking about the Elle interview, not Comic Con or any other video of his interviews. I may be wrong, but that's how I read her post. Laxmom is the only one who can answer, though.

So, I guess what we really don't know, though, is the extent of the truth of what the article writes that Gerry said (does that make sense?). Someone already mentioned it was translated, but the person who translated it speaks 6 different languages and is a highly intelligent woman. I trust her translation. However, I also know that there are some words that don't translate well into English. As someone who speaks another language, I know this because half the time I can't find an English equivalent to what I want to say, either.

ANYHOO . . . I don't want to debate the honesty or integrity of Gerry's words because, while I don't think he's the most perfect angel in the world (lord knows he's not), I do take him at his word whether he's "acting" or not. Someone pointed out to me that when I spoke to him at Comic Con I was at my best - on my best behavior and played the part of a mature person asking question. True, but what came out of my mouth, including my thanking him for being there, was genuine and honest.

So while I think it's possible for Gerry to show us his game face in interviews, I still believe that what he says is real. Which means, he feels lonely just like the rest of us, and THAT'S what we should be discussing - the CONTENT of the article. Not picking apart each other or Gerry or the article.

The idea that Gerry is lonely at any time breaks my heart. As someone who is constantly lonely, it hurts me to think that he feels empty inside because he is lacking that other half of himself. Someone to share his life with. But I also commend him for not putting a wife and children through him not being around as much as a husband and father should. He learned a good lesson from his own childhood, and apparently wants to be the type of man that is THERE for his family. And until such time that he can do that, I believe he'll just have his fun. But there is a hole in his heart and he knows it. I admire him for admitting that; takes a lot courage to open up like that. But then again, Gerry has always been pretty open in his interviews.

And once again this article confirms what some of us have seen all along. This man's heart and soul ARE beautiful. I don't care if he fook's up sometimes. I don't care if he is caught hanging out at clubs and appears to be a playboy. I don't care if he makes lots of money, or if his film roles are questionable or if some folks think he's just in it for the fame.

He is a beautiful human being.

He knows when he's vulnerable

He knows when he's in danger of succumbing to pride

And he knows when it's time to pull back.

I adore him.

Swannie

AMEN SWANNIE. COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MAYSELF EVEN THO GOD KNOWS I HAVE TRIED, AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO AS LONG AS I HAVE BREATH AND FINGERS TO TYPE WITH.

Sandy

:bow: Thank You , Thank You Beautiful Swannie. This is what I said made me fall in love with this awesome man soooo long ago! He is a Human man and he is totally beautiful. All the way through, from the top of his awesome head to the bottom of his cute feet. The man is just too fantastic for words. But you have put it just right. Thank You so much Sweet Swannie.

Hugs GAL,

:archie: AOGJo

Nope, the smiley face is not going away. You'll just have to use your imagination. :funnyface:

Oh, DonnaKat, you don't know my imagination. I better just run off down to the gutter and be done with it. You are so wonderful, I love your sense of humor. But, honestly, I don't trust my imagination on this one. I'll just have to find the original picture ane see what I missed the first time around.

Sandy

Thank you Susan . . . I almost said the same thing on Sunday morning but not as nice as you. :D If you don't like what's on TV, change the channel.

Sandy, I think she was talking about the Elle interview, not Comic Con or any other video of his interviews. I may be wrong, but that's how I read her post. Laxmom is the only one who can answer, though.

So, I guess what we really don't know, though, is the extent of the truth of what the article writes that Gerry said (does that make sense?). Someone already mentioned it was translated, but the person who translated it speaks 6 different languages and is a highly intelligent woman. I trust her translation. However, I also know that there are some words that don't translate well into English. As someone who speaks another language, I know this because half the time I can't find an English equivalent to what I want to say, either.

ANYHOO . . . I don't want to debate the honesty or integrity of Gerry's words because, while I don't think he's the most perfect angel in the world (lord knows he's not), I do take him at his word whether he's "acting" or not. Someone pointed out to me that when I spoke to him at Comic Con I was at my best - on my best behavior and played the part of a mature person asking question. True, but what came out of my mouth, including my thanking him for being there, was genuine and honest.

So while I think it's possible for Gerry to show us his game face in interviews, I still believe that what he says is real. Which means, he feels lonely just like the rest of us, and THAT'S what we should be discussing - the CONTENT of the article. Not picking apart each other or Gerry or the article.

The idea that Gerry is lonely at any time breaks my heart. As someone who is constantly lonely, it hurts me to think that he feels empty inside because he is lacking that other half of himself. Someone to share his life with. But I also commend him for not putting a wife and children through him not being around as much as a husband and father should. He learned a good lesson from his own childhood, and apparently wants to be the type of man that is THERE for his family. And until such time that he can do that, I believe he'll just have his fun. But there is a hole in his heart and he knows it. I admire him for admitting that; takes a lot courage to open up like that. But then again, Gerry has always been pretty open in his interviews.

Now Lisa, this was a good post...well said!

I totally agree Phoenixgirl. He has learned a lot of life's lessons the hard way and doesn't want to cause heartache to someone he loves. I have often said, he is very intelligent, and he knows that in this business you have to "strike while the iron is hot." Most careers are short lived at best and you have to make your mark so they last longer or work for a short time, take the money and run. Gerry is creating a career for himself that can be LONG LIVED. He is selecting roles that is building an audience in every age group and sex. He is very diverse in his choices and very SMART in that he now has GOOD movies for all ages. His wisdom at such an early age and so early in this career only speaks more soundly to his intelligence. There will be time when he can sort of slow down to find the perfect woman. He may already have and she understands his motives. I know I would wait for this man forever and I don't really know him. so someone who does and loves him surely would have no problem with waiting for a few years. Think about it, in the sixties women waited for years for their men to go off and be soldiers, in danger. This would be a much nicer wait, and it wouldn't be asking to much considering the future he is building for himself and that special someone. I sincerely hope he is not totally alone as most of us think. I know lonely, and believe me, I don't wish that on anyone, no matter what. I simply try to read his body language to get to know him better because I know that is the only way I will ever get to know him, and thru you GALS who have actually met him. I cherish the person that he is, not who he is becoming, but who he has always been and will always be. I love the whole package, talent, intelligence, humor, beauty of body and soul, well you get the picture. I love him "absolutely" which means without exception to what he says or does. And, as I've said before, I'd do anything for him except marry him, and that has absolutely nothing to do with him, I'm just not what he needs in his life and never could be. But I do love him 'ABSOLUTELY", just the same.

:whome2:

Yes, my perfect Darlin'

YOU

I know most call me crazy for calling him perfect, but he is as close to perfection in a man that I have ever seen, and his honesty and lack of actual perfection is what makes him perfect to me.

Sandy

I agree Sandy, "strike while the iron is hot." Most careers are short lived at best and you have to make your mark so they last longer or work for a short time, take the money and run. Gerry is creating a career for himself that can be LONG LIVED", this is so true, he has said many times, he absolutely loves what he does, and he wants to continue doing just that as long as he can, "until he dies", his words.

sun

Gerry makes me happy. If you click on the picture and make him grow, he will make you happy too.

Ohhhhmmmmm...."

REMOVED QUOTED IMAGE

Who put that ridiculous smiley face there? Are you insane? Remove it immediately and let me try that again.

HEHEHEHEHEHE

Sandy

:cunning: I still want to tie his lil' strings and put them IN his trunks!!!!! :woo:

tee hee!!!

Edited by Songbird

Ohhhhmmmmm...."

REMOVED QUOTED IMAGE

HEHEHEHEHEHE

Sandy

:cunning: I still want to tie his lil' strings and put them IN his trunks!!!!! :woo:

tee hee!!!

Joanna, :galdown: I hear you girl!

I'm in the gutter again! (AND I LIKE IT!!!) :cunning:

Ohhhhmmmmm...."

REMOVED QUOTED IMAGE

HEHEHEHEHEHE

Sandy

tee hee!!!

Joanna, :galdown: I hear you girl!

I'm in the gutter again! (AND I LIKE IT!!!) :cunning:

:drool1::yummy::woo::drool::thud:

Thanks Razz!!! :mademe: Jo

Guest DonnaKat

Wow....Zen Gerry is supposed to CALM y'alls nerves down, not get y'all excited.

Oh well...back to the drawing board.

Your probably right. There are many people in the United Kingdom whose social behaviour is very "liberal", I think that's the correct term. Some people have no problem with that type of thing, others (who are mostly conservative like myself) find it bothersome, to say the least.

But indeed, looking at the videos from the event in more detail, he did seem to immediately correct himself before he went even further.

Someone on one of the posts mentioned it was ridiculious to over-analyze the man and his behaviour, past, tastes, etc. And they were right - its none of any of our places to question or judge him and I'm sorry for doing that and I will try not to do that in future.

I do feel sorry for Gerard - that he feels lonely alot of the time. Its a terrible thing to have all that wealth and riches, and still be empty privately in your life. Although it was a wise decision to not be in a relationship while he's very busy making movies and trying to build up a stable career for himself. I hope he will meet and find a good woman (who doesn't care about his celebrity) who will provide him the love and stability he needs in his private life.

Edited by Emily-Mackenzie

I hope he will meet and find a good woman (who doesn't care about his celebrity) who will provide him the love and stability he needs in his private life.

DITTO !!!

DLSPBS - PAT