Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

RockNRolla: What can we do?

To the Admins and MODS

I've noticed that one of the Gerry fansites is looking for ways to get the fans involved in a wider R&R release, even if it's just posting comments to the original article: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_pi...rs-films-m.html

Or possibly setting up polls or a special thread on the board. I am wondering if GALS might be considering a similar campaign in support of R&R?

I'm sure most of us would love to participate!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Swannie ~

While I would never stop anyone from doing what they think they need to do regarding RnR, I personally feel that Alan Horn is an absolutely brilliant man with a fantastic pulse on cinema. 800 theatres are guaranteed to show this film. I'm sure if they do well, Mr. Horn and his team will revisit this decision. Remember promotion is very expensive and if they feel RnR won't do well in the theatres, they don't want to spend a great deal promoting a film that will never make money for WB - let alone break even. It's just a wise business move on Alan's part.

After seeing Shattered on TV, I have decided that the film execs. know far more than I do. Shattered, in my humble opinion, belonged exactly where it was.

RnR is getting great buzz, but it's still a Guy Richie film, and while they may get critical acclaim, they rarely do well at the box office. DVD sales are another issue entirely.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention however, and I encourage our members to do what their heart tells them to do.

:hugs:

Dayna

I would be willing to sign any petition heck I even signed one to have Terry brought back to life in Tomb Raider Lol! But the end result might be the same...the ones who sign the checks do what they want to and we have to wait until it comes out in DVD to buy it. The same happened to POTO and look how many fan sites have opened since that movie hit the big screen? Even ALW had to admit that even though it wasn't awarded it's "just dessert" the support of its fans still exist today...there by proving our point in our own way...

Is this a Gerard Butler site or a WB site?

So a Gerry Butler fansite is not taking any action to promote a Gerry Butler film? Odd.

Jane

GerardButler.net is campaigning for a wide release.

GB.net is wholly independent of this site and if that is what their admins. and membership choose to do, that is entirely up to them. I don't personally choose to campaign for wide release and will not encourage postings to that affect on this site.

Gerry et al. are completely aware of our full support of him and his career.

These are difficult financial times and people are much more discerning about how they are going to spend their disposable income. Therefore, they are much more particular about which films they will go to see in theatres. WB and the "powers that be" know this, which is why they didn't opt for wide release before seeing how it does in limited release. This is a SMART business move. It's not personal its business.

Our members are welcomed to choose to do as many petitions or letters to the executives at WB as they want, I'm not stopping them. What I won't do is endorse this.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

:thankyou:

Dayna

Guest whysosilent

I'm sorry I said anything. I wasn't trying to encourage anyone. It was just an FYI.

I don't see it as a matter of GALS not supporting a Gerry film, but of not badgering WB to do something that doesn't make financial sense to them. There are times and places when fan support is encouraged and may even be helpful. I can't even remember how many petitions I've signed for various Gerry projects and as far as I know none of them made an impact (at least not a positive or visible one).

If Gerry, his people, or the producer or director of one of his films ask fans to get involved (i.e. B&G, Wrath of Gods, etc.) we gladly and willingly do our part. But WB is well aware of Gerry fans, and they haven't said they won't distribute or promote the film, but it isn't going to get potential blockbuster treatment. Is it fair? Maybe not - heaven knows I roll my eyes every time I see the stupid commercials for Beverly Hills Chihuaha and ask WHY this film was even MADE let alone why it is getting promotion. But watch it make a ton of money (and dogs probably don't get million-dollar contracts). If you look at the history, Guy Ritchie's Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels only brought in a little over $3,000,000 at the U.S. box office and though Snatch brought in 10 times that much $30,000,000 is tater tots to a big studio and that one starred Brad Pitt. Unfortunately Gerry still doesn't have that level of name recognition.

Despite all the things fans did to try to get B&G a real release, despite all that's gone on among fans for years to get Burns made it hasn't happened, so I came to realize perhaps such campaigns do harm rather than good. We fans may believe we have more power than we do when we think the voices of 10,000 or 15,000 fans matter to a movie studio when 15,000 tickets only amounts to about $150,000 in box office. And then you consider that of those 15,000 fans we'd be lucky if a couple hundred actually take action, our numbers aren't significant to a studio. When there is a potential to get 100,000 signers we might have some impact, but we're not even close to that.

I think it's great for those who wish to take action via blog posts, petitions or letter-writing campaigns, it's an individual choice and we don't discourage anyone from doing what they feel is best.

Is this a Gerard Butler site or a WB site?

So a Gerry Butler fansite is not taking any action to promote a Gerry Butler film? Odd.

Jane

Jane ~

I think anyone who knows me personally knows better than to even ask such a question. After all, what do you think we have been doing for the past three plus years on our own free time with absolutely NO compensation?

We ARE promoting a Gerry Butler film, what we AREN'T doing is becoming a thorn in the WB's side because we THINK we know what's better for them than they do. Again, I think some of you are thinking about this all wrong. This is about B-U-S-I-N-E-S-S, and not whether fans get to see their favorite man on the silver screen in every city and town in the US and beyond.

If I may point out, this isn't as much a Gerry Film as it is a fantastic ENSEMBLE film - G is just one player amongst many other talented actors. Of course G is the actor we all care about, but pissing off the WB executives isn't, in my opinion, the way to support G.

I can certainly understand your disappointment about this film not obtaining wide-release, as I probably won't be able to see this film until it is released to DVD either, but it is what it is. HOWEVER, if the film does well in these 800 theatres, WB WILL reassess. Let's just hope and pray RnR does do well so that we will have a better chance of seeing it on the silver screen.

Remember, none of GR's films have made money - at least not until they were released to DVD. That includes Snatch, arguably GR's best film. GR's films are GENRE films - that means they attract a certain demographic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, but the studios have to answer to their investors about their investment decisions.

Seriously, I don't mean to upset anyone, but business IS business.

Dayna

I'm sorry I said anything. I wasn't trying to encourage anyone. It was just an FYI.

No harm, no foul. I'm just in a very pissy mood today. :tantrum:

Dayna

I'm not sorry I said something.

No one is asking GALS or anyone else to be "a thorn in WB side" or do anything to antagonize anyone. But I do support Gerry first, not Warner Brothers, and expressing an opinion that RNR does have an audience eager to see it, in respectful terms, rather than glowing praises of Alan Horn's business genius certainly seems reasonable. This is NOT a fansite vs. fansite issue. Of course GALS has always supported Gerry. I'm surprised that it would not at least support respectful encouragement of WB marketing of this film. A simple poll, a thread where people could express their eagerness to see this film in their local cinemas, reasonable, polite, respectful things of that nature.

I participate on a couple of Gerry sites it is true. But, for me, it is always Gerry first and everything else, including the sites themselves, second. GALS does not choose to take any further action in regards to this film, even communicating nicely that an audience is eager for it. That's fine. But it does make me wonder why there is concern that WB would be annoyed by such action. Last I heard studios are always eager to get feedback on their proposed films.

It is your site and you run it as you see fit. I am only expressing my opinion. I hope that it will be accepted as that.

Jane

when you think about it...... this film is not a blockbuster style film.....it has a limited audience, and the powers that be know this....the fact that its being released in the amount of theaters that is announced is amazing to me..... more than i had expected , so in my opinion, WB is going above and beyond what i had hoped for......this movie is really expected to be seen by the younger males, perhaps middle age men, and folks that like the shoot em up type genre..... the fact that we all want to see it , perhaps because gerry is in it, although many of us fans also like this genre, is lost on the WB execs.... they know their audience, and i suspect they will stick to it..... regardless of any petiions...... it wont hurt to try, but sadly , i suspect it wont do any good......

on the other hand, i expect to see "game" really advertised, and a wide release...im thinkig that fil will be more of a blockbuster film, same with "the ugly truth" since katie heigle is in it.......

I'm not sorry I said something.

No one is asking GALS or anyone else to be "a thorn in WB side" or do anything to antagonize anyone. But I do support Gerry first, not Warner Brothers, and expressing an opinion that RNR does have an audience eager to see it, in respectful terms, rather than glowing praises of Alan Horn's business genius certainly seems reasonable. This is NOT a fansite vs. fansite issue. Of course GALS has always supported Gerry. I'm surprised that it would not at least support respectful encouragement of WB marketing of this film. A simple poll, a thread where people could express their eagerness to see this film in their local cinemas, reasonable, polite, respectful things of that nature.

I participate on a couple of Gerry sites it is true. But, for me, it is always Gerry first and everything else, including the sites themselves, second. GALS does not choose to take any further action in regards to this film, even communicating nicely that an audience is eager for it. That's fine. But it does make me wonder why there is concern that WB would be annoyed by such action. Last I heard studios are always eager to get feedback on their proposed films.

It is your site and you run it as you see fit. I am only expressing my opinion. I hope that it will be accepted as that.

Jane

Jane ~

WB is FULLY aware of the ardent support of G's fans. I personally don't think it's necessary or warranted to remind them of this fact. There are numerous things I do behind the scenes related to the entertainment industry that I NEVER discuss. My support and that of GALS, is not even at issue here. WB and Gerry know exactly where we stand.

Again, I encourage our members to do what THEY feel good about doing as long as it's in a respectful manner.

Nuff said.

Dayna

Listen, if you feel bad, don't. At a recent Canadian film festival, I listened to a panel of producers for The Tracey Fragments (Ellen Page), The Stone Angel ( Ellen Burstyn) and Paul Gross ( Canadian actor and producer). One of the most expensive Canadians film produced was around $20 million and done by Paul Gross (Men with Brooms, Due South). He made a film for $20 million. What are Canadian films expected to make? Just $500,000!! By the way, Paul is his own PR person and will be at the Toronto Film Festival to promo.

... one way you can make your support known is to befriend the RocknRolla MySpace page

http://www.ivyweb.com/rnr_icon.jpg

since the studios do keep their eyes on it and the comments made.

.... just a suggestion. ~LJ

You are right!! This could help!!

Edited by greyeyegoddess
please change pictures to links when responding, thanks!

Listen, if you feel bad, don't. At a recent Canadian film festival, I listened to a panel of producers for The Tracey Fragments (Ellen Page), The Stone Angel ( Ellen Burstyn) and Paul Gross ( Canadian actor and producer). One of the most expensive Canadians film produced was around $20 million and done by Paul Gross (Men with Brooms, Due South). He made a film for $20 million. What are Canadian films expected to make? Just $500,000!! By the way, Paul is his own PR person and will be at the Toronto Film Festival to promo.

Oh I love Paul Gross and started a petition to save his program "Due South" and it did come back for another year and he sent me his photo in RCMP uniform and a letter thanking me for all my efforts on his behalf "Dear Debbie..Thank you kindly for all your hard work on the shows behalf!" I almost died when I saw it in my mailbox...And Ellen Page in the movie "Hard Candy" with Patrick Wilson ...just fabulous!And again in "Juno" remarkable actress for one so young... But alas most petitions do fall on deaf ears unfortunately but we know that Warner Bros. do love Gerry and have stood behind him all the way in his career so...

...a thread where people could express their eagerness to see this film in their local cinemas, reasonable, polite, respectful things of that nature.

For those in search of such a thread - there are several right here and members are welcome to start new threads in that forum. I believe Linda's idea about posting on the movie's myspace page is great, especially since the studios do keep their finger on the pulse of what is being said there.

I think the only thing Dayna is not doing is supporting a campaign to bombard WB with suggestions as to how they should market the film. The article that came out yesterday made it pretty clear why they are not putting a big ad budget behind RocknRolla (along with other smaller films), and I just don't see how the voices (or letters or emails) of Gerry fans would change any of that, and rather it could serve to be annoying to WB who has been very supportive of Gerry fans in the past. They were the first studio to set up fan site phone interviews for Gerry prior to the release of "300" and "PSILY", something that Fox-Walden picked up on for "Nim's Island". I think the last thing we would want to do is be a driving force in an effort that could jeopardize those types of participatory actions from WB in the future.

Let me just say that I would never write to WB. What I did do is post a comment on the original article linked in the first post of this thread. I agree that sending WB piles of letters is the wrong approach, but I think a short comment in support of the film on an appropriate venue is a reasonable response.

I totally respect the Admins and MODS of GALS for making their own decisions against a board wide campaign.

Swannie

My thoughts exactly, Missus Sporran! WB definitely knows about GB's fanbase and has gone above and beyond to include us in the "ride" by way of phone conferences, tickets to premieres, etc.

Honestly, I don't think the fans should do anything as of now. Let WB do what they do as they know what's best for their talent and for their studio. When RnR is released in those 800 cities, fans should pack the theaters to show their support. Then perhaps, it may get a wider and longer release. To me, signing petitions, emailing WB, etc etc is just a waste of time and may very well annoy WB and cause them more work than is necessary in reading fans' emails, petitions, etc. Kudos to Dayna and others who believe the same.

Honestly, I don't think the fans should do anything as of now. Let WB do what they do as they know what's best for their talent and for their studio. When RnR is released in those 800 cities, fans should pack the theaters to show their support. Then perhaps, it may get a wider and longer release. To me, signing petitions, emailing WB, etc etc is just a waste of time and may very well annoy WB and cause them more work than is necessary in reading fans' emails, petitions, etc. Kudos to Dayna and others who believe the same.

I think Chelle makes a good point. While I see no issue with letting WB know how we feel, I think that once it's in the theaters and people flock to it that will be what shows them the mistake they made. Since it's all about money for them anyway, it will take something like big box office numbers to open their eyes more than letters.

Lisa

I honestly feel bad about this whole business but sadly there is probably no point in even expressing our displeasure for reasons given by Dayna and I will respect her wishes! I have been vocal (perhaps too vocal) about this film from the start and even then I had such a feeling in the pit of my stomach that this would be the result....the movie being a Brit comedy alone will only attract a certain type of viewing audience. Myself...I love British comedy ...I don't think the American so called comedy can even compete but then again that is just me! Also....there are really not any "BIG" names to dangle in front of WB either! Dayna....as much as I love ya Sweetie I will disagree about Shattered! :lalala: I thought it was a Hell of a nail biting drama! I've seen some of these new movies out today that can't hold a candle to that movie! Although I don't go a lot for a good reason....too much garbage on the big screen for me! So I guess I will wait for the DVD and curl up on my sofa in my nice toasty living room with a bag of nuked popcorn and sit back and rewind and rewind and hey....I can even stop it when I have to PEE! :p

:wave: Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

I'm of the opinion people have to put their money where their mouth is and put bums on seats for WB to take note and give it a wider distribution. Susan made alot of good points in that really before 300 even the power of a Gerard Butler fan could not make his films big successes or get his films wide releases. Even since 300 whilst his films have at least made top 5 they have not exactly brought in mega bucks so WB probably know that his fans are not enough to make RnR a success. Thandie Newton and Tom Wilkinson will be the only other recognisable actors in that film and whilst they have been in a few critically aclaimed award winning movies none of their films have made mega bucks - well Tom was in Batman Begins but I doubt the majority were there just to see him.

As I said word of mouth is a really big marketing tool and there have been alot of good buzz in the Uk press about the film and if it gets a really positive buzz at Toronto then if the limited release can have packed out audiences the film may have legs.

Moira

Edited by framolamdu