Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

RockNRolla: What can we do?

Word of Mouth is an AMAZING tool!!!

Guest pamelajane

So I guess I will wait for the DVD and curl up on my sofa in my nice toasty living room with a bag of nuked popcorn and sit back and rewind and rewind and hey....I can even stop it when I have to PEE! :p

:wave: Frannie

:funnyup:

With only 800 screens there will be a lot of people who won't be able to "put butts in seats" (and by the time it actually gets to those screens it will be old news) and without promotion even people near one of those screens won't know it's there. Of course WB knows what they're doing - but they've promoted a lot worse a lot more. They have too many films and this one is not making the cut. There is no particular advantage to them to promote RNR. Mixed reviews are filtering in, some love it, some don't. But little or no promotion - and that is what Alan Horn implied in the article - won't lure anybody to check it out for themselves. Nobody expected a blockbuster promo of 4000 screens or more or for WB to promote it at the expense of all other films on its roster. It's just sad that it won't get a little more enthusiasm behind it for a decent opening.

Well, it's water over the dam at this point. Game's distribution and promotion is an unknown quantity at this point - they have a more "cult" following, not really mainstream. So TUT may be the only film coming up that will get a really noteworthy promotion due to Heigl. It's amazing how many films get no notice at all until they are offered as DVDs. Have to get used to it, I guess.

Jane

Edited by Jeb

I honestly feel bad about this whole business but sadly there is probably no point in even expressing our displeasure for reasons given by Dayna and I will respect her wishes!

Dayna didn't say anything about not being able to express our concerns and disappointment. IMO this is EXACTLY where we should be able to "vent" our frustrations as fans. What she did say was that she wasn't going to endorse, either personally or by way of GALS, a full-on "grass roots" campaign to convince WB it's making a terrible mistake. Just keep it respectful and it's all good.

I agree that getting seats filled on 10/3, 10/8, 10/12 or whenever the feck they decide to do the limited release is the best way to cast our votes for this one.

Visions of this purty mouth suddenly come to mind...

*sigh*

I am seriously canceling my Google alert. This film is already being labeled a flop before it even has a chance to prove itself.

Swannie

I guess I haven't received those Google Alerts about it being a flop. I did respond respectfully to two different columnists who put out this story. It seems that everyone who posted there has been very respectful and no one has been demanding that I could see. The responses were not on a WB site. I do hope that Joel Silver can promote RnR to other distributors. As far as I see none of the places mentioned were petitions. I will go to the RnR MySpace page, however. Thank you Linda.

:wuv:

I honestly feel bad about this whole business but sadly there is probably no point in even expressing our displeasure for reasons given by Dayna and I will respect her wishes!

Dayna didn't say anything about not being able to express our concerns and disappointment. IMO this is EXACTLY where we should be able to "vent" our frustrations as fans. What she did say was that she wasn't going to endorse, either personally or by way of GALS, a full-on "grass roots" campaign to convince WB it's making a terrible mistake. Just keep it respectful and it's all good.

I agree that getting seats filled on 10/3, 10/8, 10/12 or whenever the feck they decide to do the limited release is the best way to cast our votes for this one.

Visions of this purty mouth suddenly come to mind...

*sigh*

Guess I should have said which is what I meant that expressing our opinions to WB ...I didn't mean here! I know that this is where we are able to vent! Sorry Sweetie...just worded it wrong! :bonk:

Dummy me, Frannie

We Canadian viewers are lucky in that what ever movie comes from Britain we get to see...Heck our money has the Queens face plastered all over it! I have a feeling that it will come up on the IFC channel this winter...as long as Gerry got paid in full for his amazing talents he has other movies A.I. "Game" coming out soon that will speak volumes for him....

Now call me a cynic but any publicity can be deemed good publicity and by this article and all the subsequent google alerts this film has been generating I'd say the word is getting out there about this film - good or bad comments - and it may just make people take notice and actually go and see the film as like most people I do not like having my mind made up for me!!!!!!.

Moira

Frannie - I agree with you about "Shattered" and I think there is a lot of stuff that is far, far worse than that which gets not only a release but promotion. While it isn't up there with my favorite Gerry films it is a film I might have gone to see in the theater even without his participation in it. I'm going to continue holding on to my belief that what happened to it was all about the industry giving the cold shoulder to Mel Gibson and his production company than it was about the quality of the film itself. Pierce is a big enough name to support at least a limited release of any film he stars in, and it could easily have ridden the "300" wave with a release shortly after that left the theaters.

As for RocknRolla, I don't think any of us are suggesting you shouldn't post opinions on the sites for papers or magazines which have printed articles about the film, and posting on the myspace page is a fantastic idea, but usually when an "organized effort" is suggested it means trying to get heard directly by the studio and that is an action we don't feel comfortable endorsing as a site.

YUP! Susan...that's what I meant...just didn't express it correctly I guess! Like I said...I'm not happy but I just wouldn't feel comfortable bombarding WB or any other studio possibly involved! I never did have a very good way with words! :lalala::p

:wave: Frannie

My Google alert sent me one today that just said the WB guy didn't want to release it to 800 theaters. That makes no sense. In the grand scheme of things in how many theaters there are in the US, is 800 really that much? :gah:

I posted this in another thread... a thought occurred to me:

Assuming one of the 800 theatres is a "main franchise" (i.e., AMC, Cinemark, General Artists, etc) what's to keep us from buying tickets online once we determine the venue? :confused: I mean, just because my generous rump can't be IN the theatre, that doesn't mean I can't buy my ticket online and then just be a no-show, right?

We can make this "limited release" a success, gals! We've got 55 days (using the 10/8 release date) to save our change so we can buy tickets "from afar"!

just an fyi to your suggestion Holly. I have done blind checks for movie theaters for years. Production companies hire independent contractor (mystery shoppers) to go into theaters and count actual patrons. I've done blind checks where I go in as a patron watching the movie and take a secret count. And I've gone in not undercover to do counts of seats and patrons. Now WILL WB hire someone to check out the patron counts? Who knows. But it happens all the time, if the studio is interested in the actual attendance and not just tickets sold.

Edited by DawnS

Good to know!!

(I'm still gonna buy tickets on limited release weekend -- just in case!) LOL

Dawn - do they really care about people who bought a ticket and then didn't see the movie or are they more interested in how many people are seeing the movie without buying a ticket? I know many people who buy a ticket to one movie and go to more than one or go to a different one than their ticket is for. I also wonder at our local IMAX how they keep people from buying a ticket to a regular movie and then going to the IMAX. I've only had one or two times that I've seen someone checking tickets as people entered the IMAX theater.

When it comes to box office I know the dollar speaks loudly, and for that reason alone Holly's idea may work for those who are in areas where they can't get to a theater showing the film. Very creative idea, Spot!!

:embarassed:

That's just the kind of deviant that I am, Missus Sporran... :kisswink:

when you think about it...... this film is not a blockbuster style film.....it has a limited audience, and the powers that be know this....the fact that its being released in the amount of theaters that is announced is amazing to me..... more than i had expected , so in my opinion, WB is going above and beyond what i had hoped for......this movie is really expected to be seen by the younger males, perhaps middle age men, and folks that like the shoot em up type genre..... the fact that we all want to see it , perhaps because gerry is in it, although many of us fans also like this genre, is lost on the WB execs.... they know their audience, and i suspect they will stick to it..... regardless of any petiions...... it wont hurt to try, but sadly , i suspect it wont do any good......

on the other hand, i expect to see "game" really advertised, and a wide release...im thinkig that fil will be more of a blockbuster film, same with "the ugly truth" since katie heigle is in it.......

I wish I could share your optimism about Game and Ugly Truth. I think Game (at least from what's been posted about the plot) is so much like Death Race with Stratham, that both will probably die an early death at the box office. I have even less optimisim about Ugly Truth. Just a feeling from seeing the stills earlier in the year. I WAS looking forward to R&R, but doubt now whether I will be able to see it before it reaches DVD stage. [with tongue firmly planted in cheek] What GB needs is a comic book hero to play like Superman or The Green Hornet. There seems no end to the public's appetite for these movies.

Xan - interestingly enough I had the same thought just today. Gerry needs a big franchise film like Iron Man or Batman or something with a huge budget, a great creative director and a huge potential at the box office which blows the doors off the box office. Yes, "300" did the latter, but it didn't really give him name or face recognition because it was more about Zack and the look and feel of the movie than it was about its star. I believe the movies of the comic book/graphic novel genre are doing really well when handled properly. I was a big fan of the Green Hornet as a kid- I wouldn't mind seeing Gerry in a really well done version of that! Beyond that my knowledge of comic book heroes is quite limited, I'm afraid. I didn't even know who Iron Man was prior to the movie!

I honestly don't think anything he already has in the can is going to make a big impact, sorry to say. What I hope he doesn't resort to is starring in the "dumb comedy" genre. I would really have a hard time sitting through something like "Stepbrothers" even if Gerry was in it!! Maybe the only thing his current pictures will do is get him seen by the right person at the right time to get that BIG film that will really make a difference.

SuperBatmanHulkiliciousTransformer-made-of-Iron Man starring GER-ARD BUTLER???

The buying a ticket in absentia has appeal. Like Susan, I doubt if they care if you actually watch the film as long as you pay for it. I did that for Beowulf and Grendel when I thought I'd never get to see it. I'm just obsessed enough to give it a try, if it's possible, for RNR.

I agree with Xan as far as Game is concerned. That kind of film is a limited, specific audience as well. Now TUT, I think ,WILL get a big release because Heigl is hot and her rom-coms have done very well in the past. They'll hope for a box office repeat with this one. I like the occassional rom-com and I'll watch it just like I'll watch Game - cause I get to see Gerry on the BIG screen. :cheeky: I'm a simple woman with simple tastes!

Jane

Edited by Jeb

Gerry needs a big franchise film like Iron Man or Batman or something with a huge budget, a great creative director and a huge potential at the box office which blows the doors off the box office.

SuperBatmanHulkiliciousTransformer-made-of-Iron Man starring GER-ARD BUTLER???

OMG!!! That made me snort!!!

just an fyi to your suggestion Holly. I have done blind checks for movie theaters for years. Production companies hire independent contractor (mystery shoppers) to go into theaters and count actual patrons. I've done blind checks where I go in as a patron watching the movie and take a secret count. And I've gone in not undercover to do counts of seats and patrons. Now WILL WB hire someone to check out the patron counts? Who knows. But it happens all the time, if the studio is interested in the actual attendance and not just tickets sold.

How does one go about getting a job like this? I like movies; I can count. I'm a shoe-in!

:lol:

i still have hopes that 'game' will be a bigger blockbuster, certainly the ugly truth will be promoted...... katie heigle is in her prime right now, whether or not it will have good numbers remains to be seen.... think of PSILY and hilary...... the numbers wernt great.....so ugly truth may not do well, we can only hope....!!!

but R&R was never thought of as a huge blockbuster film..... guy ritchie has a small following, and after his last few films, his fans are a bit disapointed, guys films have always had a smaller fan base..... even having brad pitt in his prime, didnt give snatch big numbers..... its just the way it is....and i thought that was a great film

when you think about it, gerry has never picked films that were though of as blockbuster films..... did he have hopes for it?? perhaps.... 300 wasnt even expected to do as well as it did.... that truly was a surprise for all involved..... it seems that gerry chooses films for scripts, characters, and depth..... he has made some films, as he said...because he needed a big paycheck so that he can do the kind of films he'd rather do.....

personaly , id hate to see gerry be a super hero sort of film..... id rather see him do smaller more interesting films..... but thats just me.....

i do feel bad for people that are in smaller towns, that might not get R&R in their area....... but the fact that it may be released in 800 theaters to start anyways.... isnt bad.... im surprised it will go to that many....

this is just my 2 cents....

Maybe we should be writing to Jerry Bruckheimer to put Gerry in one of his movies! They don't call him "Mr. Blockbuser" for nothing! He's the one who suggested Keira Knightley to Antoine Fuqua (director of King's Arthur) just after POTC: Black Pearl finished filming (another Bruckheimer production of course). Bruckheimer's movies do make money.

Guy Ritchie has a cult following, but his movies aren't to everyone's tastes. I know a lot of people don't "get" british films like his.

Veejer

but R&R was never thought of as a huge blockbuster film..... guy ritchie has a small following, and after his last few films, his fans are a bit disapointed, guys films have always had a smaller fan base..... even having brad pitt in his prime, didnt give snatch big numbers.....

i do feel bad for people that are in smaller towns, that might not get R&R in their area....... but the fact that it may be released in 800 theaters to start anyways.... isnt bad.... im surprised it will go to that many....

Remember Johnnie Depp's "The Libertine" ? Tiny independent nobody saw? That opened in 819 theater screens. That's the kind of art house level opening we're talking about.

Blockbusters open in 4000-6000 screens. I don't think anybody ever expected RNR to have a blockbuster style opening. But an opening in 1500 to 2500 screens would have been respectable and given it a chance to survive. At 800 screens it is almost guaranteed to fail economically unless it can get more theater screens due to demand. It's the economics of film - the more screens, the more people that can find you, the more money you can make.

Incidentally, Snatch had over 1400 screens.

Jane