Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

RockNRolla: What can we do?

Whatever helps.... Holly's idea is pretty cool actually! I hope that when the time comes I have the extra money.....my DH would prolly have a "Bird" if he knew the reason behind it though! This is just a bummer and I was thinking before ....I wonder what Gerry thinks about this! I also agree and you will notice my previous posts that I really wish he would get one of the juicier roles....doesn't have to be a super hero...what about something like Atonement? personally looking at some of the movies in theaters now ....I'd rather stay home and watch Gerry rerun DVD's any day! *sigh*

:unsure: Frannie

I feel your pain, Frannie. Even the "kid" movies are crap these days. (It's a sad day in hell when the best thing to do on a balmy 110degree day in Tulsa is to sit in the movie theater watching the likes of "Space Chimps" simply because you've exhausted all your indoor activities and you need an Icee.) (I was blessed though -- Nim's only left our $1 show 3 weeks ago. For a few glorious, albeit blistering hot, weeks, when I asked my kids what they wanted to do for the day, my heart soared when they asked if we could go watch Nim's! And for as "unrealistic" as Nim's may be -- as a KIDS' STORY (and movie) -- it's great!)

Xan - interestingly enough I had the same thought just today. Gerry needs a big franchise film like Iron Man or Batman or something with a huge budget, a great creative director and a huge potential at the box office which blows the doors off the box office. Yes, "300" did the latter, but it didn't really give him name or face recognition because it was more about Zack and the look and feel of the movie than it was about its star. I believe the movies of the comic book/graphic novel genre are doing really well when handled properly. I was a big fan of the Green Hornet as a kid- I wouldn't mind seeing Gerry in a really well done version of that! Beyond that my knowledge of comic book heroes is quite limited, I'm afraid. I didn't even know who Iron Man was prior to the movie!

I honestly don't think anything he already has in the can is going to make a big impact, sorry to say. What I hope he doesn't resort to is starring in the "dumb comedy" genre. I would really have a hard time sitting through something like "Stepbrothers" even if Gerry was in it!! Maybe the only thing his current pictures will do is get him seen by the right person at the right time to get that BIG film that will really make a difference.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I certainly don't expect everything GB does to be a blockbuster, and would really prefer he NOT go the way of Batman/Superman/Ironman (why are they always 'Man'?) route, however, I think he is at a particularly crucial point in his career and needs to sustain a level of "visibility" in terms of fairly successful films for a while. After one becomes a Clooney or Pitt one can afford to have a run of "not-so-good" films without much damage being done to your rep, at least in terms of name recognition and viability as an actor producers/directors want to work with. GB isn't at that stage as yet. And while I hesitate to bring it up, I will, since it has been praying on my mind.........OK, here goes........his age, and the way he is looking of late, is NOT working for him either. Honestly, the photo with Emmy makes him look like her father. He did NOT look like that in POTO and it hasn't been that many years since. Now before you all start sharpening the pitchforks and lighting the torches, let me explain. :kisswink: If GB wants an A list reputation, he may have missed the boat, or the boat is about to leave the dock without him. At 38/39 years young he is past the point where the teeners and (most) 20-somethings will have any interest in him (I, know you disagree, but let me finish my thoughts), regardless of the kinds of films he makes. The fact that he not only is looking his age of late, but older, IMO, doesn't help (is that another torch I see being lit? :kisswink: ) This concern is not about whether he is handsome or not (of course he is) or rested, or feeling good, or whatever has been discussed of late, it is about how the Hollywood/contemporary culture sees him. When casting a role in an important film that will appeal to the target movie audience - 14-25 years old, the studios are going with either an A lister with name recognition, or a teen/20 ish hearthrob. Unfortunately, at present, GB shares that large category of attractive, accomplished B-leve stars who can always be depended on for a good performance, but are perpetually beyond the "famedar" of the public and press. If 300 had been followed by another very successful film (PSILY was ok, but too much of a weeper for most), then I might be feeling better. With the recent news about R&R, Game, TUT, etc. I am NOT feeling so optimistic. I adore this man and would like nothing better than to see him at the TOP of the A list, but I fear it may really be too late. Now, I have no way of knowing whether he WANTS an A list career, or whether the competent character actor route is the one he would choose for himself. I do know that romantic leading man roles will start to dwindle as he ages, unless you are a Clooney, Pitt, Cruise, or Depp. They have established in the public's mind and the media a reputation that will allow them to be romantic leads far longer than their ages should allow. They will continue to be paired with 20 something hotties, no matter how ridiculous that appears to individuals like myself (obviously, over 20 :D ) I suppose my expectations of GB's career have always been a bit unrealistic since seeing him in Phantom. Like so many here I was blown out of my seat by the sheer magnetism of the man. Phantom, should have sealed it.....it didn't, except for the discerning few here. :cunning: When I think of how young GB really is compared to the old men of the A list, I still believe he can do it, but the list of upcoming films and the "issues" some of those films already have, make me nervous. If Game is released in summer 2009 it will be up against some formitable and established competition - Wolverine, Watchmen, F4, to name a few. All were represented at ComicCom to publicize them.......Game was not.

Edited by Xan

I have often wondered if Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise level of fame is what Gerry actually has set as a goal. Or does he want to be a respected actor? Seems to me once you reach that level of fame its about blockbusters and not quality. I may be in the minority but I love that Gerry picks roles and films that are diverse and give him the acting experience he is looking for. Not necessarily the movie that will launch his career into the stratosphere. And again I wonder: after tasting fame after 300 success, does he want to be a celebrity or an actor?

I have no clue which it is and I'll watch whatever he's in. But I just wonder.

He said in one interview that the actor he admired most and wanted to act with was Seymour Hoffman Phillips. Not one of the beautiful celebs that crank out hits (no matter how mediocre the material), but instead an actor that has extreme talent. That says something to me.

Edited by DawnS

I have often wondered if Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise level of fame is what Gerry actually has set as a goal. Or does he want to be a respected actor? Seems to me once you reach that level of fame its about blockbusters and not quality. I may be in the minority but I love that Gerry picks roles and films that are diverse and give him the acting experience he is looking for. Not necessarily the movie that will launch his career into the stratosphere. And again I wonder: after tasting fame after 300 success, does he want to be a celebrity or an actor?

He said in one interview that the actor he admired most and wanted to act with was Seymour Hoffman Phillips. Not one of the beautiful celebs that crank out hits (no matter how mediocre the material), but instead an actor that has extreme talent. That says something to me.

That's exactly what I've always wondered about Gerry, Dawn. It seems sometimes that we, as fans, want more from his career than he does.

And, to be honest, by his own admission he's been struggling with the level of success that he has so far attained. Do we really want him to be under more pressure than he can handle?

You're NOT in the minority my friend. I would rather see Gerry make quality movies that are lesser known than sell his soul for a blockbuster. And I also think you're right about the 300 success. And after reading that Elle article about his time in India, I also wonder is he's re-thinking his choices for the future.

I wonder if Gerry's looks are a curse more than a blessing for HIM in this business.

Lisa

Agreed, Gerry might be under tremendous pressure if he were to act in 'supposed' blockbuster after blockbuster. As you say, he's had enough trouble dealing with the exposure that came after 300.

My belief is that he is happy doing exactly what he's doing. The fans are the ones who want more from him, but is that what he wants? I think he's very pleased with the direction his career is taking. Does he want to be A-list? Who knows? It's his choice and as long as he's a respected actor, I'm happy. Of course, I'd love to see him churn out more movies, but that's my choice. We need to have confidence in his choices and support those, IMO.

:wuv::yay:

Edited by Dragon Slayer

dawn, i totally agree with you, it seems that by gerrys choices, he is not going for blockbuster type roles..... but more for the quality of the script, the cast, directors etc.... does he hope they do well in the theaters....im sure he does, but in my opinion, he just loves acting, .....

i think about the a-lister men xan refered to.. brad pitt hasnt been doing big name films, george hasnt, not even romantic films..... johnny depp is choosing more enticing roles, loving working with tim burton... and tom cruise, well he's had his troubles.. but still chooses roles that fullfill him as an actor, so i think gerry is in good company with them......

we see actors like hugh jackman, christian bale, doing big movies, but the interest in batman is dwindling......heath ledger saved that film.... it will be interesting to see how wolverine does...

when i think about what movies do so well in the theater, its really more about who is going to movies on the big screen, and less about the quality or promotion of the movie... who is going?? young male teens, families, ( hence alvin and the chipmunks great run) and less and less, middle age folks..... young couples go for dates, but they either go to see a thrash film ( the guy hoping for his girl to hang on to him) or a "chick" flick, which the guy had to put up with hoping for some action afterwards....

sadly the theaters arent as popular anymore, and with production companies wanting to have the dvd release date the same as the big screen release date, is a big controversy in the film business....

i want to see gerry on the big screen as much as the rest of us, and i will, i guess im just not as concerned about the numbers.... i believe he may have another "300" day...i still have hope for "game" that is a movie the young lads will rally to see......

xan...no pitchforks from me.. :funnyup: i do think that gerry has the sort of face that needs a professional to photograph him...... theres lots of pics of him that make me cringe., and many that just make me say..YUM!!!...but when he's in makeup, in his films..... they can take years off him.....

Is this a Gerard Butler site or a WB site?

So a Gerry Butler fansite is not taking any action to promote a Gerry Butler film? Odd.

Jane

Jane ~

I think anyone who knows me personally knows better than to even ask such a question. After all, what do you think we have been doing for the past three plus years on our own free time with absolutely NO compensation?

We ARE promoting a Gerry Butler film, what we AREN'T doing is becoming a thorn in the WB's side because we THINK we know what's better for them than they do. Again, I think some of you are thinking about this all wrong. This is about B-U-S-I-N-E-S-S, and not whether fans get to see their favorite man on the silver screen in every city and town in the US and beyond.

If I may point out, this isn't as much a Gerry Film as it is a fantastic ENSEMBLE film - G is just one player amongst many other talented actors. Of course G is the actor we all care about, but pissing off the WB executives isn't, in my opinion, the way to support G.

I can certainly understand your disappointment about this film not obtaining wide-release, as I probably won't be able to see this film until it is released to DVD either, but it is what it is. HOWEVER, if the film does well in these 800 theatres, WB WILL reassess. Let's just hope and pray RnR does do well so that we will have a better chance of seeing it on the silver screen.

Remember, none of GR's films have made money - at least not until they were released to DVD. That includes Snatch, arguably GR's best film. GR's films are GENRE films - that means they attract a certain demographic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, but the studios have to answer to their investors about their investment decisions.

Seriously, I don't mean to upset anyone, but business IS business.

:hugs:

Dayna

While I have to agree that business is business to WB I have to disagree that any kind of apeal for wide distribution would "piss off" WB. Careers are created by fans. A career will rise or fall because of the ability to create "fans", people who buy tickets to movies. The serier Star Trek was written off after 13 weeks, but the FANS petitioned and look at the history of Star Trek. How many careers were saved by a major "write in." The powers to be may NOT go for the wide distribution because of such fan response, but you better believe that those powers see and acknowledge the fans' interest in that particular star. That stays on minds for future projects. In today's world for a fan to take the time to be a part of such a project certainly turns studio heads. So, while it may not help this particular project to be wide distribution, it may effect Gerry's opportunities with WB in the future. I'm all for it and if I have to go to another fansite to participate, that's what I will do. It certainly will not hurt Gerry's career for as many fans as possible to support it in every way they find an opportunity to do so.

I have every respect and all praise for this fansite, it is the one that I consider my loyal to, but, I see no harm in supporting Gerry wherever the opportunity exists. This has ablsolutely no effect on my opinion of GALS or the way it is run. I respect the staff and their decissions in EVERYTHING they do and their right to NO DO whatever they see fit not to do. BUT, as everyone is surely away of by now,

I love this man ABSOLUTELY, and support him ABSOLUTELY in any opportunity provided. It is my personal belief, from some experience in the entertainment business, that all support of any entertainer

is noticed by the powers that rule this industry, and ANY and ALL positive support of any entertainer is in their best interst. This being said, I commend all of our staff, and I'm off to GB.net to find that petition.

Love you all,

Sandy

I'd be more concerned except "fans" have been bemoaning the end of GB's career since it started. Every film he takes, SOMEBODY is saying it's the wrong choice, he should have done something else, etc. Well, he's bigger than ever, building a great reputation in the business, seems to be quite happy with the kind of films he is doing. Nobody is holding a gun to his head - he chooses to do what he wants to do.

As to his age, no, he probably won't be the new teen heart-throb. But to think he's "too old" to be appealing in the right projects makes me laugh. That must be why they put him against Heigl for TUT. Heavens knows there aren't any younger actors out there. LOL The top rom-com actress, next to Diaz and Hudson (who, incidentally, should worry about being "too old" more than anyone else when it comes to rom-coms. Learn from Meg Ryan), and who could draw from a lot of very needy leading men who have not, as yet, reached Gerry's level. Only fans micro-analyze everything and seem to always see the worst.

Gerry likes smaller films. He chooses smaller films. If he wants a bigger film I'm sure there is a producer who would accomodate him as some half-witted action/super hero of some sort. I suspect, as do several of you, that he doesn't really aspire to A-List status. Big enough to get offered films he wants to do but not so big that the financial stability of the studio he's working for rides on his shoulders. Or maybe he does. I don't know!

Think of all the well-known actors making films year after year without a bit of spandex in sight. Despite a lack of super-human personas and advancing age, they continue to turn out quality films and noteworthy performances and attract fans and pay their bills. Maybe that's Gerry's path.

Whatever he wants, I hope he gets it. I don't see any problems yet. He has come farther, faster than most. Eight years ago he was Dracula 2000. Now he's swarmed by paparazzi because people - a lot of people - know who he is and care about what he's doing. And the films are better and the people he's working with are better and bigger than ever. Twenty years from now if he's sitting in a bar boring everybody in ear shot about who he used to be - or could have been - then, I'll feel bad. :boohoo:

I think he's doing fine. Studios and producers take his calls. HE'S WORKING! He's got crazy women examining every new pic like an x-ray and trying to determine his physical, mental and emotional health from a badly lit, taken on the fly, candid photo. If he was doing any better he'd have to get a restraining order on all of us. :wuv:

Edited by Jeb

All I've ever wanted of or for Gerry is for him to be happy with his own career. If he is satisfied with the type of films he is being offered, and those his production company will be putting out, then I couldn't care less if he never has a blockbuster. The difficulty is more for the fans who want to see his films because if he isn't making blockbusters, or on the "A" list his films are likely to continue getting limited releases.

As for RocknRolla - when Gerry signed on to the film he had to be aware that it wasn't going to get a huge release. I'm not sure how much of the distribution was already in place when he signed on - if Joel Silver was involved yet or not. If Dark Castle was already involved then they knew that the agreement WB has with him is for an 800 theater release of the films they produce. So saying that it should be bigger just because we fans want to be able to see it doesn't really have an impact. Only the proverbial putting of the butts in the seats can make any difference. Look at Juno - it was a tiny film with a tiny release that turned huge, like My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I don't have those kind of expectations of RocknRolla just because it is a very British film and those don't always do that great, but I think Hot Fuzz was also very British and got a sizeable distribution in the U.S. so who knows.

With Game - a lot depends on what part of the summer they plan to open it. If it opens between May and early July they expect it to do well but it will come up against huge competition from the likes of Wolverine, and as of this morning WB has moved the Harry Potter opening from this November to next summer. I'm not even sure what studio has Game to distribute. We know the directors, but they aren't the ones who will be spending the promotion bucks. It could be another one with no promotion budget behind it.

The Ugly Truth will get promoted, will probably get a wide opening, but who knows whether it will be seen as a success - and if it is whether it is because of Gerry or because of Katherine Heigl.

I'll probably be ducking pitchforks and flame-throwers myself, but I agree that he is looking older than his age. Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp are all older than Gerry, even Robert Downey Jr. is older, but at this point each of them can still play younger. I still find Gerry hottest of the hot, but he does tend to look older than his chronological age especially since last summer, and he even tends to look older than some of the actors who are older than he is. This won't hurt him if he aspires to being a great character actor, it only hurts him if he aspires to some of the films those other guys are getting.

Johnny Depp's The Libertine??? Seriously the WORST movie I have ever seen!! I wanted to wash my eyes and my brain when it was over. In fact when it was over I turned to my husband and said "This is the first movie I've seen where I can honestly say I am so glad Gerry was NOT in it!"

Johnny Depp's The Libertine??? Seriously the WORST movie I have ever seen!! I wanted to wash my eyes and my brain when it was over. In fact when it was over I turned to my husband and said "This is the first movie I've seen where I can honestly say I am so glad Gerry was NOT in it!"[/color]

The point was not the quality of the film but that it was "dumped" and given of short shrift, buried in art houses opening - and it was 800+ theaters, exactly what is proposed for RNR. It is not a big number although some seem to think it is. :) I hope RNR will find its audience but it will be hard.

I'll probably be ducking pitchforks and flame-throwers myself, but I agree that he is looking older than his age. Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp are all older than Gerry, even Robert Downey Jr. is older, but at this point each of them can still play younger. I still find Gerry hottest of the hot, but he does tend to look older than his chronological age especially since last summer, and he even tends to look older than some of the actors who are older than he is. This won't hurt him if he aspires to being a great character actor, it only hurts him if he aspires to some of the films those other guys are getting.

No flames here, Susan. As someone who adores Gerry as much as anyone else on this board, I have to agree. He looks much older than 38, and even my 18 year old son tells me all the time, "Mom, he looks much older than you!" (I'm actually older than Gerry). But it could work in his favor for future roles. Hollywood might be all about youth and beauty, and while Gerry has the beauty in spades, I think that he can also get the roles that someone like George Clooney can get. I've always felt that way (almost like there's a competition between them in my mind).

But like many of us have already said, if Gerry's in it I'll go see it. And I respect him for continuing to choose roles that he gets excited about instead of seeing financial gain. So yeah, while WE would like to see his movies promoted more, I'd rather see Gerry be happy and comfortable with his roles. That's more important than what I want for him.

Johnny Depp's The Libertine??? Seriously the WORST movie I have ever seen!! I wanted to wash my eyes and my brain when it was over. In fact when it was over I turned to my husband and said "This is the first movie I've seen where I can honestly say I am so glad Gerry was NOT in it!"[/color]

The point was not the quality of the film but that it was "dumped" and given of short shrift, buried in art houses opening - and it was 800+ theaters, exactly what is proposed for RNR. It is not a big number although some seem to think it is. :) I hope RNR will find its audience but it will be hard.

But The Libertine WAS an art-house movie (though I saw it in a mainstream theater) and the audience was far more limited by the content of the film than by the lack of promotion. It was a very tough sell and I saw it ONLY because it starred Johnny Depp. Likewise, RocknRolla is a genre film, and though we'd like to think otherwise WE are a limited audience as well. The studios can't be expected to do a 1,400 (or more) theater rollout for every film in its stable because that is prohibitively expensive, so they pick and choose what they think will do well. I still don't see that our numbers are big enough to make them change their marketing plan. Guy Ritchie films don't do big box-office in the U.S. and WB can't justify investing money in promotion when it isn't likely to give them a return.

Even if every fan who belongs to this site and other Gerry fansites combined, assuming there were no duplications (which there are) and assuming all are in the U.S. (which they aren't) went to see the film 5 times each we'd bring in maybe $1,000,000 in box office. That isn't the kind of money that talks. I hope the word-of-mouth from those who do get to see it manages to create enough good buzz to get it out there to more people. For comparison, "Hot Fuzz", also an R-rated Brit comedy, last year opened in 825 theaters and eventually widened to 1,272 theaters. Its total U.S. box office was under $24 million but it's opening weekend in those 825 theaters was nearly $6 million. If RocknRolla can put up those kind of numbers in a limited release then it will probably get a wider release too.

I just have to say that I agree with Jeb except for the fact that Gerry is well known now! Not in my neck of the woods!! People still say "WHO?" When I tell them they say Oh yeah I think I know who you mean! Happens everytime!

As far as Gerry looking older...I agree..I wonder if it has something to do with his lifestyle. I just hope his health is all right. I mean if you look at the pictures it's just in the last year or so it seems that he's aged! I really don't care what kind of movies he chooses to make...I'll admit I used to but I don't anymore. Whatever ....if it should get to the big screen...then I will put my Arse in a seat to watch him um...it!

:wave: Frannie

im just happy its not going straight to dvd, or worse yet.... tv...... so many films go that route, more films go straight to dvd then go to the big screen, including films with a list actors...... its simply the way of the film world.....

hot fuzz got great "word of mouth" i think because of the raunchy dialog...again, it was the young lads that helped it....

its funny how sleeper films get great publicity......timing has a lot to do with it, im sure....

My point exactly. If he wants a character actor career - no problem. The guy's got talent. My concern is that the romantic lead parts in "serious" well-written dramas, those films we want to see GB in, may go to other actors, either ones who look younger or as I mentioned, have established A list names that allow them to edge out the B listers. Actors like Hoffman, Hanks, et.al. are A listers, but have in a way always been character actors, not romantic leads. GB is in a precarious position IMO.

But The Libertine WAS an art-house movie (though I saw it in a mainstream theater) and the audience was far more limited by the content of the film than by the lack of promotion. It was a very tough sell and I saw it ONLY because it starred Johnny Depp. Likewise, RocknRolla is a genre film, and though we'd like to think otherwise WE are a limited audience as well. The studios can't be expected to do a 1,400 (or more) theater rollout for every film in its stable because that is prohibitively expensive, so they pick and choose what they think will do well. I still don't see that our numbers are big enough to make them change their marketing plan. Guy Ritchie films don't do big box-office in the U.S. and WB can't justify investing money in promotion when it isn't likely to give them a return.

Even if every fan who belongs to this site and other Gerry fansites combined, assuming there were no duplications (which there are) and assuming all are in the U.S. (which they aren't) went to see the film 5 times each we'd bring in maybe $1,000,000 in box office. That isn't the kind of money that talks. I hope the word-of-mouth from those who do get to see it manages to create enough good buzz to get it out there to more people. For comparison, "Hot Fuzz", also an R-rated Brit comedy, last year opened in 825 theaters and eventually widened to 1,272 theaters. Its total U.S. box office was under $24 million but it's opening weekend in those 825 theaters was nearly $6 million. If RocknRolla can put up those kind of numbers in a limited release then it will probably get a wider release too.

I absolutely agree about our impact - but I don't think WE were ever the target audience for RNR. Or 300. Or Nim's. Or Game. Or lots of the films he does and will do. Some of us will like any or all of these films but we aren't the market. That's not my point. We can join our voices with the fanboys and bloggers, the Ritchie fans, the Idris fans, the Ludicris fans, etc.

RNR is not an arthouse film. It is a genre film like lots of others that are sent out every week to fill theaters. And I don't care about every film in their stable, I only care about this one. I think it can attract a respectable audience. Not a blockbuster one but bigger than a major city art house one. It's a crime caper. The kind of film that can attract the prime demographic of film as well as a good bump from a wider audience. If it gets appropriate marketing. But it definitely won't get that audience if it's not on enough screens that those people - not necessarily art house supporters - see it. Obviously, WB is NOT in a good enough economic situation to devote its resources to this film - or by the sounds of it a LOT of their current backlog. I think part of the reason they're pushing Harry Potter to next year has nothing to do with HP or summer and everything to do with being able to log the marketing expenses in a new fiscal year.

WB has their reasons. Studios always have their reasons and they are wrong as often as they are right. But I'm not a supporter of WB. I'm a supporter of GB, so, of course I will campaign for his films to be given the best send off possible, whether they're big films or little films, too romantic, too kid-oriented, too violent, too English or too gothic romantic with too much singing. 1400 screens is still a moderately small opening but it would give it a better shot to connect. I do not expect "Oscar buzz" for RNR and without something like that, 800 screens will probably sink it. I just hate to have that happen when I don't think the film warrants it.

Jane

(P.S. If WB supports it with a decent marketing campaign before it goes out and while it's in theaters then I will put them back on my Christmas card list. We'll see. )

Edited by Jeb

I am really bumed! First RockNRolla and now Game?!!!! We need our Gerry fix now!!!

Susan

:tantrum:

Frannie - I agree with you about "Shattered" and I think there is a lot of stuff that is far, far worse than that which gets not only a release but promotion. While it isn't up there with my favorite Gerry films it is a film I might have gone to see in the theater even without his participation in it. I'm going to continue holding on to my belief that what happened to it was all about the industry giving the cold shoulder to Mel Gibson and his production company than it was about the quality of the film itself. Pierce is a big enough name to support at least a limited release of any film he stars in, and it could easily have ridden the "300" wave with a release shortly after that left the theaters.

As for RocknRolla, I don't think any of us are suggesting you shouldn't post opinions on the sites for papers or magazines which have printed articles about the film, and posting on the myspace page is a fantastic idea, but usually when an "organized effort" is suggested it means trying to get heard directly by the studio and that is an action we don't feel comfortable endorsing as a site.

I realize I'm not feeling at all well today, and maybe that accounts for how I'm about to reply.... but reading theses posts has made me sad. It almost sounds as if we are saying that Gerry's career is in trouble.... and honestly, based on what little information or knowledge we have of the film business, or even of Gerry himself, how can we draw those conclusions?

Look what the man has accomplished so far in his life? Leaving a career he despised to start out in the toughest business out there; show business. He has so far survived all its ups and downs, and maybe he has a few battle scars both body and soul... but he has survived and even flourished. He's navigated the minefield of press and gossip, and even when rumors about his personal lifestyle persist, even when some of his films are picked apart by critics.... he just keeps making films. Perhaps they are not the hits WE want them to be, but so far he is acting... and that's what he's wanted to do.

If R&R does not equal box office success, we know from his appearance at Comic con that he had a wonderful time making the film.... and if that one doesn't cut it, or isn't supported by WB... there WILL be others for as long as Gerry wants them to be.

Have his looks changed in the last year? Yes, and we as his fans have no idea why. Maybe it has less to do with his busy lifestyle and more to do with genetics... how his dad aged, we don't know.... but look at all the POSITIVE changes he's made in his lifestyle over the years. The man quit drinking a long time ago, and now after many years of battling a dangerous smoking habit, he's quit that too. He is seeking peace and some kind of balance in his life, and I think he knows more than anyone that he is at another crossroad where his career is concerned. I think Gerry is tougher and stronger than we give him credit for... I think in his own way, he is still a scrapper.

Even if his looks are changing.... if you read articles and comments about him on entertainment related sites, they are STILL calling him a hunk. People are still commenting positively on his looks. I think Gerry will have lots more opportunities to perform in roles that appeal to him. The movie business itself seems to be going through a major shift, and I believe that somehow Gerry will survive and flourish. He may never be the name draw we want him to be. He may never be seen as an A-list actor by Hollywood or TPTB... but I would not count him out yet... not from romantic dramatic roles, and not from roles where he carries a film

Swannie

Yes, I noticed his looks were changing also. I can't figure out what exactly. I think he is very thin and his hair is too short. I love him no matter how he wears his hair, but getting too thin is not good for anyone.

I always want what is the best for him like all of you do, afterall he is our guy.

But this movie R&R, well, I just have to say, "here we go again!" I just can't help but say, yes, Gerry has made some wonderful choices in his movies, but I think he made some boo boo's lately. It must be whoever is advising him, he needs to get some new advisors or something.

Love you Gerry, wish you health, love and happiness and the success you so deserve forever. You are a talented talented man and derserve the best of this business!

Hugs, M

Edited by Midnight Diva

Swannie, you know you and I usually agree, but I don't think anyone was saying he was no longer a hunk. I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't trade what Gerry looks like now for anything in the world. I think he's more handsome and mature and gorgeous and MANLY than ever before, and I love it! And I don't think that there is one person on this board that isn't proud of Gerry for all his accomplishments and the hurdles he's overcome. That, plus genetics, are probably the reason for the changes we've seen this past year. I think what we've noticed is how FAST the changes have happened, that's all.

Nor do I think that anyone was saying his career was over. I think Gerry has more talent than someone one like George Clooney could ever hope to have. In my opinion (and my opinion only) GC is like Kevin Costner - the same person in every role. Gerry, on the other hand, is a chameleon and has the ability to become whatever characters is required of him.

SOOOOO - let's look at it this way . . . the Clooney/Pitts of Hollywood are getting the roles they are only because Hollywood is only making cookie cutter movies and they're the ones that fit the bill. Whereas, the independent movies need someone like Gerry, with talent that drips from his fingers and the looks that can take on anything thrown at him.

SOOOO - maybe we don't want Gerry to have a huge blockbuster movie, only to become one of the cookie cutter Hollywood types. Maybe we should be grateful for Gerry's ability to look different at different times of his life.

Whatever . . . I'm just grateful and proud for Gerry. I'm also kinda getting a little sick of picking him apart like this. I'm getting to the point where I just want to take and accept Gerry the way he is at the moment, no matter what. I accept his movie choices, if they are indeed HIS choices, and trust his judgment and that he knows what's best for him. I still believe that he would rather make a good quality movie over a money making blockbuster any day.

Maybe the longer I'm around, the more I just take Gerry as he gives himself to his fans.

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

Oh no! Not more walking! Oh, - going is something else??? *Dead tired old gal takes notes*

I just know RnR will be a monsterhit here and cannot wait to see it! :pointy:

*Starts daydreaming of Gerry as mr.Rochester, - slaps self and returns to siggies*

He is thin and I think his face looks kind of bloated sometimes maybe its just the pictures but he looks mad in a lot of these. Rocknrolla I don't know what to say about it. come see come sa. :wuv: Raina Snow

Where in the world are you guys seeing him being thin?????????? At Comic Con he took up the whole room!!! He was the biggest one on the panel! Look at him in the pics next to . . . oh . . . the other black guy . . . damn I can't think of his name . . . HELP. Shoot . . . this guy:

Posted Image

He is anything but thin, ladies. I don't even see him thin in the pictures to the left!!!

What am I missing???? :confused:

Edited by phoenixgirl