Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

RockNRolla: What can we do?

Zany I thought we were going to have to call out Roto rotor there for awhile. it got deep . :wuv: thanks it really had us all jumping around. it made my dull night a little exciting for awhile. :whoa:

But we know we all Love Gerry and we only want what is best for him he is a grown man he can take care of himself and he is smart and handsome no matter what he looks like, and I think sometimes the camera has a lot to do with how he looks but he didn't smile in some of those pics. which is unusual for him but we all have bad days. :wave::wave: EvaMari miss you Raina Snow

I realize I'm not feeling at all well today, and maybe that accounts for how I'm about to reply.... but reading theses posts has made me sad. It almost sounds as if we are saying that Gerry's career is in trouble.... and honestly, based on what little information or knowledge we have of the film business, or even of Gerry himself, how can we draw those conclusions?

Look what the man has accomplished so far in his life? Leaving a career he despised to start out in the toughest business out there; show business. He has so far survived all its ups and downs, and maybe he has a few battle scars both body and soul... but he has survived and even flourished. He's navigated the minefield of press and gossip, and even when rumors about his personal lifestyle persist, even when some of his films are picked apart by critics.... he just keeps making films. Perhaps they are not the hits WE want them to be, but so far he is acting... and that's what he's wanted to do.

If R&R does not equal box office success, we know from his appearance at Comic con that he had a wonderful time making the film.... and if that one doesn't cut it, or isn't supported by WB... there WILL be others for as long as Gerry wants them to be.

Have his looks changed in the last year? Yes, and we as his fans have no idea why. Maybe it has less to do with his busy lifestyle and more to do with genetics... how his dad aged, we don't know.... but look at all the POSITIVE changes he's made in his lifestyle over the years. The man quit drinking a long time ago, and now after many years of battling a dangerous smoking habit, he's quit that too. He is seeking peace and some kind of balance in his life, and I think he knows more than anyone that he is at another crossroad where his career is concerned. I think Gerry is tougher and stronger than we give him credit for... I think in his own way, he is still a scrapper.

Even if his looks are changing.... if you read articles and comments about him on entertainment related sites, they are STILL calling him a hunk. People are still commenting positively on his looks. I think Gerry will have lots more opportunities to perform in roles that appeal to him. The movie business itself seems to be going through a major shift, and I believe that somehow Gerry will survive and flourish. He may never be the name draw we want him to be. He may never be seen as an A-list actor by Hollywood or TPTB... but I would not count him out yet... not from romantic dramatic roles, and not from roles where he carries a film

Swannie

I deeply regret if my post made you sad, that certainly was not the intent. And I happily acknowledge all the accomplishments you mentioned. There is NO doubt that GB is a remarkable man and has made a complete turn around in his life. I don't think he is going to disappear or that his acting career is over. I just wanted to express my concern for what I still think is a critical point in his career and why the recent changes in films' openings and possible weak box office for some, are coming at an unfortunate time. GB may be perfectly happy with the way things are going and he has every right to be proud of his accomplishments, but as a fan, I have a right to express my concerns for him and his career. I don't think he is well, and I don't think he takes care of himself the way he should. I'm not his mom (don't want to be), but I am a fan who is saddened by what I see, and a little discouraged by the recent news.

At this point....I just don't know what to say! I'm really sad that it's coming to this! We've been with Gerry since what 2001? Thru thick and thru thin we have almost ridden each and every wave with him! I wasn't fortunate enough to be at the convention where he surprised all the gals but that impressed the Hell out of me. I still don't think any other actor would have done that! Maybe his choices have been off or maybe he just wants to do what he chooses.....I don't really care. Yes his looks have changed...so have mine! He is still the best thing since chocolate as far as I'm concerned....I think we are so over analyzing him lately! He's gonna be just fine. Lets just keep loving, lusting, whatever it is that got us here in the first place and let it go at that! I don't think he's unhappy....I just think he's not complete yet...but he will be. I can understand a lot of your concerns because I was right along with you... but then I thought ...what the Hell he's a "big" boy...he's probably better than fine with his life right now and we're all worrying for nothing! The last thing I'm gonna say....He can put his shoes under my bed anytime!!! DO YA HEAR THAT GERRY?? Still looks Hot to me! I will admit I don't love him....well you know...like that...but lust does come into the picture! :cunning: All right all kidding aside ....if I was younger I'd prolly be a basket case right about now! He's doing just FINE!

JMO....Frannie

I suspect it has a lot to do with what some fans wanted his career to be and what HE wants his career to be. Actors generally know the expectations of the films they sign on for - how big they are projected to be, what kind of distribution they can expect, how much promotion there will be, etc. Personally, I don't think Gerry ever wanted or intended to be a romantic leading man. A leading actor, yes, but heart-throb, no. He said no to a 300 prequel/sequel which many of his fanboys would love and would almost assure him of a bigger upfront paycheck and no to all of the other fantasy, super-hero roles he was rumored for. True or not he deliberately chose roles totally unlike those with little or no payoff to broaden his range. He more often plays fathers than lovers and doesn't seem particularly concerned about how he looks. Films can be set-up a year or two ahead of production so we don't know what he has in the works beyond LAC. He sounds and looks fine to me, more assured, more confident, as abundant work offers tend to make one, so I'm not worried about him or his career. He's not in rehab, he's not cursing out bellmen, he's not chasing women - OK - that last one maybe he is but I'd be severely disappointed if he wasn't. He is a sexy, grown-up, totally male presence to me, not some little boy-man playing dress-up, with a grown-up sexuality like many European actors seem to possess without trying. I'm good with that. :drool1:

Now, as a fan, do I ocassionally fuss and fume because he's not king of the world EXACTLY AS HE IS? Yup. But I am calmer now. (Calm blue ocean. . . Calm blue ocean. . .Calm blue ocean. . . ) I do NOT want him to change or do things differently than he is doing because I don't think he'd be happy if he did and then he might quit and go off to the Highlands and raise sheep and I'd never see him again and then I'D be miserable and life would be over as I know it. (Calm blue ocean. . . calm blue ocean. . . ) We love him and too many, maybe, only know of HIS career and analyze HIS pics and follow HIS films and their release and so we lose sight of the fact that most actors at his level go through the same things and most actors have lots of bad pics and DO look older in person or in paparazzi pics than they or we realize but we don't look at their pics or follow their careers as closely.

Anyway, love, peace, calm, whatever gets you through the day, and night, and all my best to Gerry. Ten years from now he'll still be making great films and we'll still care and fuss. I will anyway. :love: ( :jackie::attila2::reddeath::beo::terry2::leo: *sigh*)

Edited by Jeb

:funnyup: I'm dying here! I'm picturing Gerry in the highlands herding his sheep!! OMG! :rotflmao:

:wave: Frannie

Jane, you're my hero for the day!

Love,

Swannie

I suspect it has a lot to do with what some fans wanted his career to be and what HE wants his career to be. Actors generally know the expectations of the films they sign on for - how big they are projected to be, what kind of distribution they can expect, how much promotion there will be, etc. Personally, I don't think Gerry ever wanted or intended to be a romantic leading man. A leading actor, yes, but heart-throb, no. He said no to a 300 prequel/sequel which many of his fanboys would love and would almost assure him of a bigger upfront paycheck and no to all of the other fantasy, super-hero roles he was rumored for. True or not he deliberately chose roles totally unlike those with little or no payoff to broaden his range. He more often plays fathers than lovers and doesn't seem particularly concerned about how he looks. Films can be set-up a year or two ahead of production so we don't know what he has in the works beyond LAC. He sounds and looks fine to me, more assured, more confident, as abundant work offers tend to make one, so I'm not worried about him or his career. He's not in rehab, he's not cursing out bellmen, he's not chasing women - OK - that last one maybe he is but I'd be severely disappointed if he wasn't. He is a sexy, grown-up, totally male presence to me, not some little boy-man playing dress-up, with a grown-up sexuality like many European actors seem to possess without trying. I'm good with that. :drool1:

Now, as a fan, do I ocassionally fuss and fume because he's not king of the world EXACTLY AS HE IS? Yup. But I am calmer now. (Calm blue ocean. . . Calm blue ocean. . .Calm blue ocean. . . ) I do NOT want him to change or do things differently than he is doing because I don't think he'd be happy if he did and then he might quit and go off to the Highlands and raise sheep and I'd never see him again and then I'D be miserable and life would be over as I know it. (Calm blue ocean. . . calm blue ocean. . . ) We love him and too many, maybe, only know of HIS career and analyze HIS pics and follow HIS films and their release and so we lose sight of the fact that most actors at his level go through the same things and most actors have lots of bad pics and DO look older in person or in paparazzi pics than they or we realize but we don't look at their pics or follow their careers as closely.

Anyway, love, peace, calm, whatever gets you through the day, and night, and all my best to Gerry. Ten years from now he'll still be making great films and we'll still care and fuss. I will anyway. :love: ( :jackie::attila2::reddeath::beo::terry2::leo: *sigh*)

Jane, you're my hero for the day!

Love,

Swannie

Apparently, my comments were not received in the manner I intended and I apologize for ruining everone's evening. From now on I will keep my worries about GB's health and career to myself.

Posted Image

:funnyup: EM! Hilarious!

Xan, I had to go back to try to figure out what you were talking about. Your last comment in this thread was over 40 posts ago!

Please try not to take things so personally. There are a LOT of comments being tossed out. Just because someone didn't comment on yours doesn't mean that your opinion isn't valid. :hug1:

Hugs,

Songbird

Xan, no one expects you to keep your opinions to yourself. They are just as valid as anyone else's but then of course, I feel the need to post my own, and it's just my way to try and throw a more positive light over things. I hope you will continue posting your thoughts, because even though we may view things differently, I always enjoy your thought provoking comments, and you are always respectful to Gerry and everyone else.

Swannie

This might be some good news for RnR (to get back to the OP).

EW magazine had a very nice blurb about RnR for their October movies and it was given more column space than some others coming out. I especially like their two cents at the end.

Ritchie returns to the scene of the crime genre - and his signature mix of twisty plot, stylized violence, and machine-gun dialogue - with his third foray into London's underworld. This time, low-level thug One Two (Butler) gets caught between double-crossing mobsters while he woos a femme-fatale accountant (Newton). Why is a soft-spoked Brit like Ritchie drawn to such depraved stories? 'I know people like these movies,' he says, 'and I know I'm good at making them'.

Our Two Cents

Richie's last caper, Revolver, misfired. but with Butler in his first action role since 300, RocknRolla could pack some heat.

It also shows the pic of Gerry running out of the tunnel.

I hope there will be more talk like this to hype up RnR. Just what it needs...

:yay::wuv:

Jane - thank you so much for your post. I really do have a problem getting my emotions in the way when I try to express my thoughts and feelings about Gerry. Sometimes it's so hard for me to be "logical", and a post like yours really made me look at what I do with my own fandom. :thankyou:

I think I realized yesterday WHY I "analyze" Gerry so much, and perhaps this will help others to understand why many of us do this . . . if you relate.

I think part of the reason I look at his pictures and try to understand or know what he's thinking or feeling is my way of trying to be closer to him. Trying to close that chasm (not a gap) between my life and his. He means so, so much to me and I believe with all my heart that this man is the MOST TALENTED actor Hollywood has seen in years. I only want wants best for him. I don't purport to know what that is, but I think that by trying to understand him better by "discussing" his moods, career, feelings, etc. to try to understand him, maybe even express my desires for him. Am I making sense?

I do not think that Gerry has made any movie choices that were bad for his career. I trust his judgment completely. He is a highly intelligent and insightful man who knows what is best for his own life. Just because I don't like a particular genre of his choices (TUT) doesn't mean I think it'll ruin his career. Not at all. I think Gerry knows what's best for Gerry. I trust him completely to know how to say "NO" when he needs to. In the year that I have learned about him the last thing I think he is, is a pushover. :lol:

Anyway, this thread is about RNR - I think that what's going on with RNR and Game are a bit disconcerting to us as fans, but I have a feeling that TPTB know what they're doing. If Gerry expresses some concern publically, then I think we can safely jump on that bandwagon. I don't think he'll do that - he has way too much class. Nor would he ever criticize the people who hold his career in their hands.

But I think all we can do is support the movies whenever and wherever they come out by showing up as often as possible; encouraging our friends to see it; posting on our MySpace pages or wherever else we go how great the movies are (providing they are great), etc.

Well, I've rambled, and believe me, Xan, I understand cause usually people don't comment on what I write either, probably because I tend to ramble on. Great song, too! :D

I love Gerry and he means the world to me. If I wanted to criticize him, believe me, I would have NO problem doing it (ask anyone who knows me). But I'm not in anyway criticizing his career choices. And I'm not going to get into his looks on this thread (which I think are pairrfect).

Anyway, we just need to be fans and support his movies in the theaters - that's all we can do.

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

"I do wonder, however, and I'm entitled to this opinion, if staying with Alan is a wise choice, and I was so glad to see that he is also signed up with CAA. My opinion, I'm entitled to it and I'm not saying anything I wouldn't say to Gerry's face. I think Gerry is loyal to a fault - one of those positive qualities people possess that is also one of their downfalls."

I've seem this expressed by others from time to time and really don't understand it. Alan is Gerry's manager. CAA is his agent. Alan does what is best for Gerry and was there when nobody knew or cared who he was. I think they've come a long way. It's important to have someone to trust, who you know is looking out for your interests and nobody elses, who's been with you from the beginning and knows you well. Since Gerry trusts him, I don't see what the problem should be.

And yes, Lisa, we all have our image of Gerry that we defend and protect. And since we have a variety of images competing it's obvious none of us have a lock on him. LOL So far he's living up to mine so I'm happy. That's why I don't want him to change! :dancer:

Thanks, Marg for the good news! I've seen several very good reviews recently from those who have actually seen it, too. It's not going to be everybody's cup of tea - what movie is? Just hope the positive buzz will make people curious to check it out.

Edited by Jeb

And yes, Lisa, we all have our image of Gerry that we defend and protect. And since we have a variety of images competing it's obvious none of us have a lock on him. LOL So far he's living up to mine so I'm happy. That's why I don't want him to change!

I agree with this completely. I'm so happy with the Gerry that he's allowed us to see. That's the Gerry I fell in love with - not my ideal or fantasy of what I wish he was. If that were the case, I wouldn't still be around, you know? When you love, respect and adore someone like we do Gerry, you accept him without condition. I love watching him grow and develop as a "star", and whatever happens, he has my support. (God I hope I'm explaining myself in a peaceful, nice way).

Okay, can someone explain the difference to me, please? Between Manager and Agent? I'm assuming the agents (CAA) find the roles and the manager (Alan) negotiates? Is that right?

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

Posted Image

:lmao:

Shut up and go back to the muck where you belong! :lmao:

I think one of the things my ex-husband complained about was my inability to let things go . . . maybe . . . ya think?

What ELSE is there to talk about?????? I love to say the same thing over and over and over and over . . . and I seem to remember being trashed for posting the same icon one day a few months ago . . . hmmmmmmm . . . .

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

I've seem this expressed by others from time to time and really don't understand it. Alan is Gerry's manager. CAA is his agent. Alan does what is best for Gerry and was there when nobody knew or cared who he was. I think they've come a long way. It's important to have someone to trust, who you know is looking out for your interests and nobody elses, who's been with you from the beginning and knows you well. Since Gerry trusts him, I don't see what the problem should be.

And yes, Lisa, we all have our image of Gerry that we defend and protect. And since we have a variety of images competing it's obvious none of us have a lock on him. LOL So far he's living up to mine so I'm happy. That's why I don't want him to change! :dancer:

Thanks, Marg for the good news! I've seen several very good reviews recently from those who have actually seen it, too. It's not going to be everybody's cup of tea - what movie is? Just hope the positive buzz will make people curious to check it out.

Jane I agree completely with what you have said. We all do have our image of Gerry and I like mine just fine! I'm sure mine is a wee bit different from anyone else's.

Alan and Gerry have been together for 11 years. Alan sees that Gerry gets to where he is supposed to be, whom he's supposed to see and coordinates everything for him. CAA represents him in the movie business. That's why Alan always seems to be by Gerry's side. I think the proof of their trust in each other is that the two of them have formed the production company Evil Twins. Alan is a very nice man, BTW, and appreciates Gerry's fans.

:)

Edited by Dragon Slayer

Alan is a very nice man, BTW, and appreciates Gerry's fans.

wow thats the first time I ever heard that one. Seriously, I have heard different accountings of Alan's view of Gerry's fans.

and I don't mean this in a mean or sarcastic way, just curiousity, have you ever met Alan?

wow thats the first time I ever heard that one. Seriously, I have heard different accountings of Alan's view of Gerry's fans.

and I don't mean this in a mean or sarcastic way, just curiousity, have you ever met Alan?

Same here. We tried to talk to Alan at the PSILY premiere . . . not an easy task. And just things I've heard at other events, but you know what? His first priority is GERRY. I don't think it's that he doesn't like the fans. I'm not sure what it's all about, but yeah - there's a difference of opinion between Gerry and Alan when it comes to the fans at events.

Lisa

Yes, I've met him a couple of times. He was extremely nice to me. He has to put Gerry's interests first before anything else.

Edited by Dragon Slayer

Well, I can't say but I spoke to him at Nim's and he was very nice. I think Lisa is right, though. His first priority is Gerry's safety and well-being, not the fans. He also acknowledged a friendly wave at PSILY. Maybe it's just what's going on at the time and trying to keep Gerry safe, on-time, and where he's supposed to be.

I have noticed that Gerry's PR people are always low-key and polite, as well, whereas the WB reps, on occassion, are sometimes a bit more brusque and short with fan demands.

I figured they deal with a wide variety of celeb fans and don't feel as much of a need to "sugar-coat" things. LOL

Jane

I have to say that WB more than went out of their way at 300 to get us fans in to see the movie. They didn't have to do that, but they worked it all out for us.

Yes, I've met him a couple of times. He was extremely nice to me. He has to put Gerry's interests first before anything else.

Good to know that some other encounters may be exaggerated or at least dont tell the whole story.

Well, I can't say but I spoke to him at Nim's and he was very nice. I think Lisa is right, though. His first priority is Gerry's safety and well-being, not the fans. He also acknowledged a friendly wave at PSILY. Maybe it's just what's going on at the time and trying to keep Gerry safe, on-time, and where he's supposed to be.

I have noticed that Gerry's PR people are always low-key and polite, as well, whereas the WB reps, on occassion, are sometimes a bit more brusque and short with fan demands.

I figured they deal with a wide variety of celeb fans and don't feel as much of a need to "sugar-coat" things. LOL

Jane

Gerry's PR lady is really nice. I wish I remembered her name; the lady with long, dark hair. She is always pulling on him to keep moving cause he'll just stand there and talk to you. But she's really nice and if you give her something for Gerry she always takes it and says she'll give it to him. I really like her a lot.

The older gentleman, who no one knows, is there for his safety, I believe. He never talks and just walks wherever Gerry walks.

The PR lady and Alan are always reminding us AND Gerry that we get an one thing - either an autograph or a picture - never both - but yes, they are very nice about it. The PR lady usually talks to us while Alan talks to Gerry. It's very well oiled machine to keep him moving! :lol:

A difficult job, I'm sure.

Lisa