Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
becozy

8/15 - F/X Push Butler's GAME to 2009 (summer)

12:00 AM, 15-AUGUST-08

F/X Push Butler's Game to '09

The upcoming SF film Game, starring Gerard Butler, is being delayed to the summer of 2009 to complete visual-effects work, producer Gary Lucchesi told reporters.

Lucchesi expects to announce a new release date soon, he added in a group interview this week in Beverly Hills, Calif., where he was promoting Henry Poole Is Here.

Game, from writer/directors Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Crank), is the story of a futuristic video game in which players control actual human beings, including Butler's Kabel.

Creating the video-game world poses visual-effects challenges. "Game is a 'sim-world' movie, so you have a young kid who is controlling an avatar," Lucchesi said. "There are lots of visual effects."

Neveldine and Taylor will push visual boundaries, as they have done with their practical camerawork, Lucchesi added. "They came out of commercials and out of doing second unit," he said. "Mark Neveldine was a hockey player, which made him really good on roller blades. So he'd pick up these cameras, and he'd go down the street with the roller blades, and somebody would be pulling him on a motorcycle, and he'd be getting these wild and crazy shots, so they are visually aggressive. That's what they are."

With a release date still pending, Lucchesi expected to reveal finished footage in the form of a teaser trailer. "I think soon," he said. "Christmas, I would think."

Neveldine and Taylor's upcoming sequel, Crank 2: High Voltage, will come out in April 2009, even though it was shot after Game. --Fred Topel

Here's another article with possible problems with the release date and the competition.

http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2008/08/...er-at-Christmas

Gerard Butler's GAME pushed back to 2009 but teser at Christmas

Gerard Butler's upcoming scifi actioner Game has been delayed until 2009 due to complications with some of the films complex visual FX work. The announcement was made by producer Gary Lucchesi at a recent press junket for the film Henry Poole is Dead. Apparently, no official date has been set for the film, but I imagine going toe to toe with flicks like Transformers 2, Terminator: Salvation, Avatar, and the J.J. Abrams Star Trek reboot will only make setting the release date harder to figure out. I only hope that Game doesn't get some wet behind the ears limited release followed by a quick dump out on DVD. That would suck. Lucchesi went on to say that he expects some teaser footage to appear around Christmas. You can read more about Game here.

Ugh. I don't really know what to say. I hope whatever happens that is turns out for the best, and that the trailer builds a good buzz.

Guest Pilar

Hmmm....interesting. I don'tknow, Jen....this could be a blessing in disguise. James Cameron pushed the release date of "Titanic" back six months for basically the same reason and look what happened with that movie. LOL!

There's going to be MAJOR competition as far as movies go that summer, I think they just announced that the new Harry Potter movie comes out next summer--while I won't be seeing that one, a lot of others will be.

:gah: This blows. What is happening with his movies? :lol: Poor Gerry. Poor US! Well, I'm glad they care enough to take the time to make the special effects the right way. That's a good thing. Better to take the longer time to get it right than to throw together a schlocky movie just to get it released.

Well, I also hope it doesn't get lost in the flood of summer movies, and YES, Harry Potter will be released July 2009.

Lisa

This is not necessarily a bad thing! Better for a summer release (more exposure). Also, he will most likely appear back at Comic Con to promote it at it's height.

Better the film be at it's BEST than them rushing it.

This is not necessarily a bad thing! Better for a summer release (more exposure). Also, he will most likely appear back at Comic Con to promote it at it's height.

I agree about Comic Con (of course) but I'm not sure a summer release against Harry Potter is such a good tihng. Unless they sneak it in after the fervor has died down. But there are going to be sooo many summer "blockbuster" movies out there; I just hope it doesn't get lost in the crowd.

Well, we'll just have to fill those seats over and over again, won't we, ladies?

Lisa

I agree about Comic Con (of course) but I'm not sure a summer release against Harry Potter is such a good tihng. Unless they sneak it in after the fervor has died down. But there are going to be sooo many summer "blockbuster" movies out there; I just hope it doesn't get lost in the crowd.

Well, we'll just have to fill those seats over and over again, won't we, ladies?

Lisa

Yes we will have to fill those seats! :)

Agreed! Also it would be great if Game gets to go to Comic Con!

Agreed! Also it would be great if Game gets to go to Comic Con!

My guess would be yes, sweetie! So save up your money and get thine tushy out here for it! LOL

Seriously, Game would be something that would be featured at Comic Con, HOWEVER - Comic Con is always the last weekend in July, and if Game is out before that weekend - well, then probably not. So, hopefully we'll have a more firm "date" by January - when the CC tickets usually go on sale.

Lisa

I did say I hoped if it isn't going to get released until the summer of 2009 that it would be after Comic-Con at the end of July as that would be a major PR event for this film. CUT is another good PR event for the film as it is in March.

I think we just have to leave it in the hands of the studios who seem to know what to do for the best of their films and I am sure they will find one weekend that it has a chance of getting the top slot.

Moira