Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
heISmyGspot

8/16 - Summer 09 Plays a Delayed 'Game'

www.cinematical.com

It has not been a good week on the "Movies Elisabeth Wants To See" front. First there was that wretched news that Warner Bros isn't particularly interested in RocknRolla, then Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was delayed a whole year. And now, producer Gary Lucchesi told SciFi Wire that Game has been pushed back to the increasingly crowded summer of 2009.

Game is a futuristic thriller directed by the insane duo of Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor, and stars the ever-so-lovely Gerard Butler. While he's reason enough to see it, it's also the kind of frantic, maniacal movie making we've come to expect from Neveldine and Taylor. We were treated to some footage at ComicCon, and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Later in that same day, Butler described it (and his directors) as being not only in tune with Internet, science, and pop culture, but having a nightmarish sensibility. "You're literally walking around the set at night and there are people hanging with hooks coming out of their skin and that's your day filming. There's blood dripping. I had blood on me. These people did it for fun." Come on! Who doesn't want to see that right now?

Well, if wishes were horses, and all that. Lucchesi said we should get a teaser by Christmas, and a solid date will be set very soon. But that doesn't satisfy me -- and so I'm just going to abandon my posting duties to build a time machine, and travel to the Summer of 2009. I'll wait around for The Road and Australia, of course, but I fully intend to skip ahead a year to see Harry Potter, Wolverine, and Game. I'd come back bearing Star Trek news, but frankly, I would rather not return to a bleak Colorado winter. Especially when the movie selection is getting thinner and thinner.

"You're literally walking around the set at night and there are people hanging with hooks coming out of their skin and that's your day filming. There's blood dripping. I had blood on me. These people did it for fun."

And for this I'll give Gerry a "freebie" on his complaint list of "things I suffer for my craft." BLECH!!!

:funnyup: Poor G...he does suffer so, doesn't he? :rotflmao:

Guest Nay

Can someone tell us why this appears to be happening with a wide range of movies?

Is it a residue from the Writer's Strike or is it something else? ;)

I'd really appreciate your answers.

I think there is a knock on effect from the Writers strike and to be honest would you rather have a properly finished film albeit delayed or one that may not be as perfect as it can be and rushed out.

My only concern and I think we all said this is there is so much stuff coming out next summer that whoever is in charge of deciding release dates must do their homework and have it released in a week when there is very little competition to give it a chance to be top for at least a week. For example this coming weekend even though Dark Knight, Tropic Thunder and Mummy 3 are doing great guns and in the past weeks there have been major films being released Death Race with Jason Statham is released and in my opinion does not have much to worry about from the likes of Hamlet 2, The Longshots, The House Bunny and The Rocker which are also released so it is really up against what is top just now.

I think whoever decided on Death Race release date definitely did their homework and knew it probably has a chance of definitely taking the top spot if not in the top 3. Jason Statham also has a huge fanboy following through films like Crank and Transporter which will be the same crowd for Game.

As Comic-Con is a huge event both in attendance and via media attention it would pay the makers to hold off and really give it the big push there but they may not want to leave it that late. Also with the studios giving Nevaldine and Taylor the full backing to promote Crank 2 and Game at CUT in March once these films websites are up and running that would be an ideal place to actually have some sort of CUT promotion to ensure those who would be interested in attending properly know about it - but I am sure that has already been thought of. The internet can be a wonderful thing when used to its full advantage.

Moira

Guest Nay

I think there is a knock on effect from the Writers strike and to be honest would you rather have a properly finished film albeit delayed or one that may not be as perfect as it can be and rushed out.

My only concern and I think we all said this is there is so much stuff coming out next summer that whoever is in charge of deciding release dates must do their homework and have it released in a week when there is very little competition to give it a chance to be top for at least a week.

Moira

Thanks Moira. I see your point about the delay but I'm still curious as to how long momentum and interest can be maintained by studios in order to cash in on these projects (especially in the light of some fickle-as-a-fart-in-the-wind people).

The release schedule seems to be quite congested but quality may be difficult to find without a magnifying glass.

You know, I think some of this postponement may have something to do with the economic downturn here in the US. People are being much more careful with their disposable income -- necessities have increased in cost to such a degree that consumers are cutting back on recreational spending. I always laugh -- albeit bitterly -- when the US administration gives out the inflation statistics and EXCLUDES fuel and food in their calculation.

Whether it makes sense or not, a lot of business decisions (and maybe movie releases, as well) are being delayed until after the Fall election ... why anyone would think that the economy will make a dramatic turn at that point, regardless of the party elected, seems nonsensical to me.

Anyway, :2cents:

Connie

Well I saw in The Sun today that insiders are claiming the reason Harry Potter is being held back is not to coincide with Daniel's full frontal turn in Equus on Broadway from September. They are concerned it could effect the popularity. The fact he has already done it on the West End Stage obviously does not enter the picture!!!!!!!.

Moira

You know, I think some of this postponement may have something to do with the economic downturn here in the US. People are being much more careful with their disposable income -- necessities have increased in cost to such a degree that consumers are cutting back on recreational spending. I always laugh -- albeit bitterly -- when the US administration gives out the inflation statistics and EXCLUDES fuel and food in their calculation.

Whether it makes sense or not, a lot of business decisions (and maybe movie releases, as well) are being delayed until after the Fall election ... why anyone would think that the economy will make a dramatic turn at that point, regardless of the party elected, seems nonsensical to me.

Anyway, :2cents:

Connie

Connie - I think you make a great point here. I think we forget about this sometimes and we focus on the movie business end instead of the entire economy of the country.

Thanks!

Lisa

this INFURIATES me!

:whoa:

i was SOOOO bummed--beyond belief--about the harry potter 6 movie. WHYY!?!

:humph:

and now...THIS!?! i don't understand. guess i don't know enuff 'bout the production world to see the sense...but i feel that they BOTH will have a large fanbase...and of course they want the money...

:needhug:

*sigh*

:sad:

Edited by lm.law

Connie - I think you make a great point here. I think we forget about this sometimes and we focus on the movie business end instead of the entire economy of the country.

Thanks!

Lisa

Well, we KNOW it can't be because anyone thinks that a GB movie won't be a great success!!

*Did that make sense?? Not a model of clarity there, Constance.*

:hugs:

Connie

Just a Bummer, and with limited release on rocknrolla, double yammie for Ger..

That's what I thought exactly, sounds like he's having a bad year?

My only concern and I think we all said this is there is so much stuff coming out next summer that whoever is in charge of deciding release dates must do their homework and have it released in a week when there is very little competition to give it a chance to be top for at least a week.

Moira

Thanks Moira. I see your point about the delay but I'm still curious as to how long momentum and interest can be maintained by studios in order to cash in on these projects (especially in the light of some fickle-as-a-fart-in-the-wind people).

The release schedule seems to be quite congested but quality may be difficult to find without a magnifying glass.

OMGosh 'Nay'. I love the adage you gave!!!! It so applies to the movie business and a lot of the people in it!!! I am sick and tired of our Gerry being thrust around like this and sometimes, more often than not, he is totally left out of the picture. :tantrum: Needless to say I get reeeeeeeeaaaaal mad!!!!!! I'm sorry, but my love of this awesome man is growing more as people try to leave his name and him out of the lime light that he so deserves.

Sorry, just a point I am trying to make saying that Our Gerry is the bestest Man/Actor in this world.

Someone in the movie business better get their head on straight and put our Gerry in the lime light that he so very much deserves.

Hugs GAL,

Jo

Edited by Joanna