Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

State of Your Fandom

Oh gosh no, Swannie. NEVER expected. I never ever expect anything from Gerry. like Moira said, it's all about hope. None of us will ever have the experience you had, my friend, and so we can only hope that we get a small fraction of his time with a picture or a little conversation.

But no, never do I personally expect anything from Gerry other than a perfect performance in his movies.

Lisa

PS: :thankyou:

I understand that, Moira. I wished for it too but never thought in a million years it would happen. I just think fans who attend events where Gerry appears, need to think of what HE wants. I think he loves seeing his fans come out to support him, and I think he loves the cheering and the smiles directed his way, but wishes can quickly change to expectation in a crowd situation, and that's where things can sometimes turn negative.

I remember when Gerry visited with the fans after Leno that first time. He was so happy to spend a moment with each and every one of them (over 200)... and it was his choice to do so.

Things have changed. If he gives to one, than he feels pressured to give to all, and he can't.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

DANGER WILL ROBINSON, THIS THREAD IS IN JEOPARDY!!!!

I think it is time for this thread to get back on track or it will have to be closed. Posts have already been set invisible due to political content which has no place on this thread or on this site at all.

The original intent was for fans to discuss the state of their OWN fandom, how it has changed or evolved or where is it at this time. It has spun off into finger pointing and assumptions or accusations about the behavior of other fans, and there is nothing productive or positive in that, so it must stop now.

Posted Image

Thanks, Missus Sporran!

I expect! I expect the movie to be worth 2 hours of my time + 7.50 + 3.00 (diet coke) + 2.75 (chocolate of choice). So far so good.

I expect! I expect the movie to be worth 2 hours of my time + 7.50 + 3.00 (diet coke) + 2.75 (chocolate of choice). So far so good.

I'm hoping we can also expect some more movies where death is not imminent.

KB your such a cheap date :lmao:

Moira

Pssst, Moira! I don't think KB wanted that publicized...

Unless that helps get her a date with Gerry...

It's a double edged sword. :lmao:

P.S. KB, what theater are you going to where your chocolate only costs 2.75? It's like 4 bucks here! We're taking it up the tailpipe. I'm going to Texas for my next Gerry movie!!!!

Edited by AimeeMarie

I expect sex. I'm waiting for a hot sex scene! I NEED a HOT sex scene!

Sorry...I suppose thats not exactly getting the thread back on track.

Edited by isaboo

Maybe not, Boo ... BUT I CONCUR, DAMMIT!!! I strongly support your line of thinking! *Here's to Pinky and lots of him!*

:drink:

Signed,

Your Friendly Lewd and Lascivious Mod :lmao:

Susan - I'm glad we got that cleared up aren't you?! Nothing worse than having what you say misconstrued, right? Unless, of course, it's getting your arse bumped out of line just before your "Gerry moment"!

D

D - yup glad it's cleared up - and I promise if we're ever standing near one another awaiting a Gerry moment I will absolutely NOT bump your arse outta line, deal? I will try to make sure and keep true to my belief that my Gerry fandom is generous enough to allow you and others their moment of Gerry-glory.

So back to the original topic:

I am interested in hearing about the positive ways Gerry fandom has affected your life. What have you gained from this fandom? What have you learned about yourself?

Do you believe your fandom would be as strong if you did not have the support of a community of like minded people? Is the interaction with other fans a big part of what keeps you interested in Gerry, or is it mainly him; his talent, his personality his influence in your life?

As I have stated, my fandom has changed over the last, almost 4 years.... but my admiration for him has not. By that, I mean that I'm more realistic now, and the fantasy element is not so overwhelming anymore.... yet I have not lost one iota of respect, love or affection for this man. Had I remained in the state I was in after first seeing POTO, I'm afraid I'd be in a padded cell about now! LOL Can you believe that I used to cry over him (the Phantom) as if he were a real man? I was so completely MAD about the Phantom, and through him... Gerry.

Of course, the more I came to know about Gerry the real man, the more my adoration (and lust) shifted from the character to the actor himself.

So ladies.... let's hear it!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

It's funny how, through so many other inconsistencies in my life, Gerry and my love and admiration for him remain the same. I already told this story in the 'random' thread but on Saturday night I went to see Nights in Rodanthe with my mom and a couple friends, sort of a post birthday outting. Anyway, the movie was fantastic and quite the tear jerker. As we were leaving, still sniffling, I'm looking at all the posters for upcoming movies and I caught Gerry's name on one of them...it was for TUT. Right there, in the midst of the Saturday night movie crowd, tears still flowing from our movie, I start squealing and jumping up and down like a nut!!! LOL. People even looked but I could not have cared less...

My point is, even when I've had a bad day at work or an argument with someone or am just feeling blue for whatever reason, it's Gerry, my "fandom", the "fandom" I share with so many wonderful women on this board, that never fails to make me smile. It really is such a wonderful thing in my life and it gets better and better everyday.

:hugs:

Edited by CherokeeGrl

:funnyup: I ditto what she said!!!!!!!

Oh yeah....and I also ditto what Boo and Spot said!! Hot sex!

Yup....I'm a true blue forever fan and THAT'S the way it is!

:wave: Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

Guest Nay

Dangblastandgoshdarn it!!

I'm too late AGAIN :gah:

But, but, but ... I brought popcorn??

Posted Image

Hmmm, State of Fandom (my own, no-one else's) is low-key, healthy and long distance.

I think Beevus likes it that way!

Edited by Nay

Sue, you and I will be hanging on to each other and any other GALS that want to join in, all for one and one for all, and if a rowdy, cheek pinching, out of control, Gerry attacking non GAL fan appears on the seen, we'll bump HER outta line and yell "THIS.. IS.. SPARTA!"

Of course, I'm joking. ;)

I'll stop now! :funnyup:

D

:2cents:

Okee-dokee...my wish...

Thermonuclear, long, never-gonna-end, set the screen on fire, OMFB I need a cold shower, Gerrygasmic, Butlerized....S-E-X!

:swoon::jackie::drool::heat::poof:

Yes, I definitely need some time in the Gutter.... :escape:

I don't want to hijack this thread again, but I feel that I need to apologize for what I wrote last night. I didn't mean to sound so selfish and only out for myself. That is NOT what MY FANDOM is about at all. I want everyone to have the chance to experience Gerry and have their fandom heightened.

Please forgive me if I offended anyone or made anything think, "I don't ever want to go to a Gerry thing with her!". Cause really, I'm NOT that bad.

I want my fandom to include my friends and fellow Gerry fans. It isn't just about me. It's only been a year so for me it really is still mostly about Gerry and how can I meet him and can I ever get a chance to talk to him. I can admit that.

:thankyou: for listening.

Lisa

My state of fandom? Complicated at best.

Like so many others here, I first came to know of GB through POTO. I actually saw 300 first, and thought it was an awesome movie, but I really didn't recognize the amazing man Gerry is at that time. I actually came across some clips of POTO on youtube, when I was searching for Hugh Jackman. (You can't blame a girl for 2 obsessions, can you?) When I saw that GB was singing in Phantom, I was like WHAT???? The guy that says "This is SPARTA" and kicks major booty is singing opera? This was interesting. I really didn't become obsessed though until a week after my initial discovery.

My husband was out of town for work, and I was on my own for the week. The day before he came home. I was in a car accident. I wasn't hurt, but it was still pretty scary. I didn't know if my car would run, if I could get it fixed, or even how I was going to get to work or if I would lose my job because I didn't have transportation anymore. All of these thoughts were crashing down on me and I didn't know where to turn. Then I remembered my find on you tube. I spent that whole night watching everything I could with GB in it, including most of POTO. Watching those clips helped me to stop crying and focus on something else for a while. He helped me get through that first night, and many nights after that.

I still turn to GB and this forum whenever I am having a tough time, which is pretty often lately (stupid economy). It's not like I ever even want to meet him, I just love to read about his views on life and listen to his voice; he's not bad on the eyes either. Sometimes a stranger can touch you in ways no one else can; and for me, GB helps me to forget about the bad things going on in my life right now, even if it's just for a few minutes. That and I do have some weird thing for movie stars who sing and dance: Gerry, Hugh Jackman, Ewan MacGregor, Gene Kelly (he's the one that started this obsession). And if I ever did meet Gerry, I would like to tell him thank you. Thank you for being the actor and man that you are; you've made your fans smile over and over and over again, and we can never repay you for that.

Shortcake, very well said. Gerry and the GALS saved me from some dark times too. Now I just look forward to Gerry movies with him having hot sex in them and Mr. Pinky in them and uh, maybe a shirtless Gerry in them too!! Oh yes, if I am ever lucky enough to be in the crowd waiting to see Gerry, someone please remember I am only 5' tall!!

Suzie

Greetings dearest Swannie...

and thank you for this opportunity to think about and ponder just how much Gerry means to me...and to know that I am sharing my heart with people who actually do "get it". It is so comforting to know that we have *eachother* to pour out our hearts to about the miracles and blessings that have come into our lives *through Gerry*.

I don't know that I could ever, ever thank him enough for this gift...although I am certain he would give a laugh and a wink and not have the faintest clue of what an amazing catalyst he is for love and *anam cara* in this world.

Here is something I wrote about Gerry in July 2006

"I think Gerry is just about the most beautiful hunka burning love that has ever graced a camera lens and I also think he is the kindest, most generous, real, human, spiritual soul-filled-with-JOY ever, ever, ever!

Not to mention his outta-this-stratosphere **alchemy** at telling a STORY...whether it is through a movie, an aching and tortured Phantom's song, a bust-yer-gut, he's *got a million of 'em* stories from his own life..... through which we have had the fantastic privilege of peeking into his world ...as he shares *his heart and soul* in interviews and articles and encounters with fans and soon to be fans around the world.

....oh and lets not forget the drool factor of looking at zillions of pix of His Gorgeousness (no, I am not immune to the Charmer one little bit!)

Through this sweet-and-spicy and naughty and hilarious *pairrrrson* named Gerry Butler, we have mystically and magically and amazingly (in so many cases) found our way to **eachother** and to a connection of *hearts* which uplifts us, and encourages us... who believe in us when we have forgotten who we are and what is beautiful about us.... and which reminds us how freaking good it can feel to be ALIVE."

Well...I am here to say, I still feel the Exact Same Way about beautiful, amazing Gerry Butler!! From January of 2005 until today, my love and support for him have only grown deeper and more profound...I have been blessed beyond measure to share the *Gerry Love* through working behind the scenes at charity events which *paid it forward* to those who need our support the very most...and guess what?? Gerry is the one who started all of it...back in 2005, he said, don't send me a bunch of gifts, give aid to help victims of the Tsunami ...and ever since, our events have had a charity component whenever possible... It is Gerry's beautiful giving heart which set the example which I am grateful to follow to this day...

As I have said a zillion times... What a *miracle* :hearts: it has been that we have all been brought together from all corners of this country (and all over the world, for that matter! )to celebrate Gerry and to take into our hearts the wonderful stories that he has told us through his films...and we have been given an even greater gift, we have found that it is really true...*We are ALL connected"...heart to heart ....and we have found that the gift of friendship is one that really does just keep on giving!!!

I know I gush on and on about Gerry and what he means to me and how much the friends I have been blessed with in *Gerry-land* mean to me....but I just only wish that I could take all of the love that I have found since coming to *know* my SiStars *here* and bottle it up ~~ because it has brought more joy and healing into my life than I could ever have dreamed of.....

I know that I have a very sentimental and deeply emotional attachment to all things associated with Gerry since it is *All Connected* (sorry, couldn't resist!! tee heeeee) to so many really GOOD things in my life....

I guess I am just grateful for every bit of it...the fun of the gatherings and getting to meet people who you have only known online, being able to talk to people who actually "get it" as opposed to those who think I am a total nutcase (welll, that could still be true, but I think you get my drift teeee heeeeeeee) and for Tamara and I, it has opened up a whole wonderful world of friends and fun that we had been sadly missing in our lives. So now, we have Gerry to thank for beginning our journey on this path which has brough so much healing through the laughter and hugs and *love* that we have been blessed with by all of *you*.

I wish that I could spend a few moments with each and every one of you who have touched my heart and impacted my life through your prayers and your genuine interest in and support of my hubby, my sister and myself as we have gone through such fiery trials in the last few years. If I could, I would let you each know that it matters so much to feel that we are not alone and that you really do care about what we feel and how we are doing and you have reached out to me through emails and personal messages and my heart is overflowing with such thankfulness for what you have given and what you have shared with me.

I have personally seen the amazing and incredible friendships that have been forged through our "chance meetings" at gatherings and dinners , etc........

I have learned...

~that Real Riches are the ones which reveal themselves when all else has been stripped away....Real riches are the treasures of finding friends who know how to BE a friend.

~that we need eachother....somehow, someway, we have all found our way here and it is such a Blessing that I hope to never take it for granted for even one moment...but to always be thankful for what I have found and never forget to share my gratitude with those who have brought such JOY into my life at a time when it has honestly been a genuine lifesaver!!!

~that each and every day is a gift and when I can open my eyes to the possibilities that are just waiting for me to notice them...I know that my life will be all the richer for it. xoxoxoxo

There is such power in our collective ability to *heal* and to bring real love and real peace into our own lives and the lives of those we love through our prayers, good thoughts, meditations,hopes and wishes. I am so blessed to be a part of the huge love that connects our hearts...each one to the next in an endless and unbroken chain of *love*~~

Thank you for helping me remember that I have wings....My friends, my beloved sisters....you have shown me that *I can fly* in my spirit, toward the land of my dreams... my spirit is already soaring on the hopes, prayers and wishes which have been given to me as a *gift* by so many of *you*

My gratitude is overflowing and I am humbled by *you*~~ Your inspiration and incredible caring and compassion have been a sweet balm of healing in the broken places inside of my heart and spirit. For this, I am out of adequate words to express my heart ~~~just *know* without any doubt or question, that *you* make a difference by your simple act of listening and reaching out to those who are suffering and in such need. You make it possible to come here, vulnerable, fragile, feeling so afraid to ask for anything more...and to know that you will be there, with your arms and hearts wide open, accepting and wrapping each sister and brother in a loving embrace of genuine empathy and *hope*

May our journey together take us into a place which is beyond our dreams...a place where we may find answers, miracles, faith, and the courage to continue to struggle forward, even when things seem absolutely unbearable~~

and may we always rejoice in the simple words from Dear Frankie...**We are All Connected**

xoxoxoCheri

Cheri~many of us can take a lesson from your kind of fandom. You have taken what Gerry has given you and spread it to the rest of the world. I am blessed to have benefited from that, and you constantly teach me about love and finding joy in everything.

I love you, my beloved friend and SiStar! :hearts:

Lisa