Gerard Butler GALS

9/2 - Thandie Newton's sickly sex

becozy

All this talk about Gerry being sick makes me want to make him Jewish penicillin and rub Vicks Vapo Rub on his chest. :sick2: Poor baby.

Okay, to the article itself: Is she NUTS? Getting sick by Gerry would be soo worth snogging him. I guess everyone has their limits, and we ARE a bit biased, but really . . . how sick could he have been if he was well enough to show up on set and do the scene. C'mon . . . It's GERARD BUTLER!!! You snog him no mater what!!!! Like I said . . . BIAS. :lol:

And I still think it speaks volumes to his character that he shows up for work sick. I know that when I'm sick, I won't go to work. Being a teacher and having to be "on" all day, just like an actor would, there is no way I go to work sick. Gerry is a pro - through and through.

It will be interesting to watch the movie and see if we can tell he was sick. :lol: Only WE - the LOONS - would be able to tell, huh? :funnyface:

Hey, did anybody think, maybe he didn't want to do the scene and pretended to be really sick, knowing she would say no. It's a thought.

I don't really believe Gerry would ever be unprofessional and I do believe he is enough of a pro to show up no matter how sick he was, but I can't believe he would have showed up that sick if what he had was catching. They would probably have worked around him if he had been contagious. I still say she is INSANE. If not insane, the most unlucky girl in the world to have had to pass up a chance like that.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon, Gerry is not a god people.

Well said! Indeed he's not, and I don't think he would personally care for it if she had been sick (with goodness knows what) and he had to kiss her. Imagine making your co-star sick and knowing some celebs, he could have blamed her for it. (Not saying that he would though)

I don't know how things work in the movies as far as illness is concerned, but in live theater you go on and do your part, no matter how sick you are (unless of course it is life threatening)

I've done shows with fevers, chills and a sore throat, and I've performed in close contact with actors sicker than me. You can catch bugs just being in the same proximity with a person who is ill, so I tend to agree with you that her refusal to do the kissing scene was a bit over-the-top, and not really fair to the rest of the cast. But again, as you said, we don't know the exact circumstances.

OMG, I can just see it now. This will be the question asked in every Gerry interview about R&R:

"Is it true Thandie refused to kiss you because you were so ill?"

"Tell us about Madonna giving you a shot of B-12 in the bum."

*yawns*

Swannie

Swannie, I can't wait to hear his answer to that. He will tell us the circumstances. I knew he had a chest infection during the filming but even if it had developed into pneumonia, that isn't catching. I'm sure the doctors would not have allowed him on the set with anything that serious and catching. He was a little run down and developed one of his "chest infections." Like I said, the woman is insane, and yes, a "diva" for that bit. I know it's probably not the first time that has ever happened, but it is the first time I have ever heard of it. I have heard of actresses staying home because of illness, but never refusing to do a scene because someone had a cold. I wonder how much that costed the production, a day of shooting is usually pretty expensive. You know that had to make Gerry feel even worse, to come in sick, ready to work, and have her pull that silliness. I'll bet he took a lot of abuse from the other guys also about her not kissing him. You know how guys can be, especially Brit guys. Bless his sweet heart and spirit. Yes, Swannie, in any branch of the entertainment industry, stage, film, concert, etc. the motto is, has been, and always shall be-"The show must go on." Now and forever more.

Bless our baby's heart, and chest.

:whome2:

Yes, Darlin',

You. See, all of us would have kissed you, sick or not.

Ok, girls, let's be honest. No one of us wouldn't refuse to kiss him no matter what. I guess. :unsure: Of couse, it doesn't mean she should do the same. But she's an actress, not a girl from the street or something. And now there are a lot of measures which could be taken to prevent sickness (vit. C is good :D )

And one more - the cold could be easily passed on to her by droplet so it's enougn to stand in two meters away from him.

I know she has small kids at home at it's her choice to not kiss him, but she really should be more delicate in that I think. Becaue for me it sounds like "Ok, watch everybody, I refused to kiss GERARD BUTLER!"

Ok... ok.. :duck: it's just my opinion. Maybe she was just explaining how they did the shortest and the funniest sex scene ever ;)

Um no I swear I would not kiss the man if he was healthy. I am married. I have no desire to snog him even I do think he is a doll which I do. I just am never going to kiss other men. Unless I go seriously more wonky than I already am. I haven't kissed anyone since 1977 and I don't think I'll start now.

Seriously I think some people believe you cannot be a fan without wanted to kiss someone.

Not you personally, Alissiya, I am talking in generalities. I am fans of lots of people I do not want to kiss.

Love,

Tracy :kisswink:

Tracy, I have been married 13 years and have three beautiful children, and one mighty fine man. But, he has accepted the fact that if Gerry wanted to kiss me he would say go for it. Now that being said he is also the guy who wished I would get an indecent proposal. Jerk! :pointy:

Just one more perspective regarding the illness issue:

I worked in emergency medicine for over 37 years in and out of the ER, and in a couple of nasty epidemics. Almost never sick. After having no kids in the house for about 15 years we now have our grandsons (the REAL "Evil" Twins :funnyface: ) living with us. Guess what? I've been sicker in the last year with "grandchilditis" (the various germs that just naturally accompany kids no matter how clean you try to keep their hands :) ) more times than I can count.

I would have snogged his socks off and he'd probably have gotten better in half the time.

Gerry, if you get sick again, give me a call. I have antibodies to spare.. :pointy::cunning: (It's a free call.)

1-800-976-IMUN

That a girl, spoken like a true ER nurse!! Love it!! It would be well the IV drips and antibiotics :pointy:

I worked in emergency medicine for over 37 years in and out of the ER, and in a couple of nasty epidemics. Almost never sick. After having no kids in the house for about 15 years we now have our grandsons (the REAL "Evil" Twins :funnyface: ) living with us. Guess what? I've been sicker in the last year with "grandchilditis" (the various germs that just naturally accompany kids no matter how clean you try to keep their hands :) ) more times than I can count.

I would have snogged his socks off and he'd probably have gotten better in half the time.

Gerry, if you get sick again, give me a call. I have antibodies to spare.. :pointy::cunning: (It's a free call.)

1-800-976-IMUN

That a girl, spoken like a true ER nurse!! Love it!! It would be well the IV drips and antibiotics :pointy:

:doh: In other words you would risk your health and that of your family's to appease your own fantasy of snogging Gerry? I somehow don't think that even he would agree with those ethics...I was not talking about in our fantasies but logically and if a patient read somewhere that a person working in a hospital was willing to neglect public health standards just to snog a star they would probably change hospitals..But this is just fantasy I guess because otherwise most women with families would choose their health over anything else :unsure: ...right?

Ok, girls, let's be honest. No one of us wouldn't refuse to kiss him no matter what. I guess. :unsure: Of couse, it doesn't mean she should do the same. But she's an actress, not a girl from the street or something. And now there are a lot of measures which could be taken to prevent sickness (vit. C is good :D )

And one more - the cold could be easily passed on to her by droplet so it's enougn to stand in two meters away from him.

I know she has small kids at home at it's her choice to not kiss him, but she really should be more delicate in that I think. Becaue for me it sounds like "Ok, watch everybody, I refused to kiss GERARD BUTLER!"

Ok... ok.. :duck: it's just my opinion. Maybe she was just explaining how they did the shortest and the funniest sex scene ever ;)

Um no I swear I would not kiss the man if he was healthy. I am married. I have no desire to snog him even I do think he is a doll which I do. I just am never going to kiss other men. Unless I go seriously more wonky than I already am. I haven't kissed anyone since 1977 and I don't think I'll start now.

Seriously I think some people believe you cannot be a fan without wanted to kiss someone.

Not you personally, Alissiya, I am talking in generalities. I am fans of lots of people I do not want to kiss.

Love,

Tracy :kisswink:

Tracy, I have been married 13 years and have three beautiful children, and one mighty fine man. But, he has accepted the fact that if Gerry wanted to kiss me he would say go for it. Now that being said he is also the guy who wished I would get an indecent proposal. Jerk! :pointy:

If that is something you felt comfortable doing then that is fine for you. I am a totally live and let live person, but I could not be an actress because even if I was a gorgeous woman I could not do a love scene with a man. If I weren't ill I wouldn't have minded being a character actress they don't have to do love scenes.

You know George Strait made a movie and he refused to kiss his leading lady. He only hugs her in the end. Of course George Strait is not really an actor he is a singer.

I will say I enjoy a love scene. I don't want nudity. I like hugs and kisses and rolling around.

Kind of like you get on Soaps. I am glad someone can do it so I can watch it. :D

To each his own. I try to be tolerant of other people's comfort zones and I hope people will be tolerant of mine.

Love Always,

Tracy :kisswink::hug1:

1-800-976-IMUN

:doh: In other words you would risk your health and that of your family's to appease your own fantasy of snogging Gerry? I somehow don't think that even he would agree with those ethics...I was not talking about in our fantasies but logically and if a patient read somewhere that a person working in a hospital was willing to neglect public health standards just to snog a star they would probably change hospitals..But this is just fantasy I guess because otherwise most women with families would choose their health over anything else :unsure: ...right?

Your darn skippy!! :ohbaby::grrr::read:

I would risk it and get on w/it. What, it takes a few days to kick it out and if it's serious a few more w/the proper antibiotics I mean come on. Sometimes you have to take one for the team!

Cassie

I'll bet it wasn't as serious as all of that. We all know the press plays things up and undertones don't look great in print. There was probably a little bit of good natured-ness involved and especially if they were all in the "guy-mode". Even her. I hang out with coder guys all the time and we joke and and it's just a different vibe. There's no sexual tension so she's not going to fawn all over him. Plus, if he was hatefully sick, she has every right to say no. He most likely understood, provided she was decent about it.

If she was an uber-b&^%$, that always comes back on people,KWIM? I'm not going to judge her for it when we really don't know. Besides, I JUST WANT THIS MOVIE TO BE GREAT!!!I want it to have a fabulous story line, be full of great performances, and I want everyone to love it!

With all due respect to everyone's opinions, I just want to point out something. I think that interviews are open to a lot of interpretations and often paraphrase. I have seen many print interviews about Gerry that paraphrase the actual video interview that I have watched -- and sometimes they can give an inaccurate impression or leave out important details that provide clarity.

As far as Thandie "refusing" to kiss Gerry -- who knows how those events actually happened. There could have been a discussion with Guy, Gerry and Thandie about the shot and the fact that he was under the weather. The whole way they were going to shoot the scene could have been up for discussion and she could have stated a preferrence of avoiding kissing. Gerry became very sick and missed work for 5 days during this film. This scene could have been shot the day before he was in bed for almost a week. Who knows? So the fact that he showed up for work, does not in my opinion, mean that he wasn't extremely ill or that his illness (and not Thandie's ego) wasn't the main issue that had to be resolved for that day's shoot. I don't think one should label her as unprofessional and a diva when the facts are missing. Regardless, the way Guy shot the scene seemed to satisfy him. The fact that Gerry was sick may have actually improved the original scene. Small changes occur throughout filming a movie, for many reasons, but the director eventually gets the shot that they want.

I personally wouldn't want to kiss a man that I am in love with when he has throat issues and possibly other physically unappealing symptoms (trying to avoid being graphic here), let alone a man that I only have a working relationship with. I don't think that Gerry would fault Thandie for having concerns. By all accounts, he is professional and kind to his co-stars on set.

Lastly, to actors love scenes are typically very mechanical and not titilating or enjoyable. As appealing as Gerry may be, most actresses, especially happily married ones, probably do not look at a kissing or love scene with him the same way as a fan would. It is just part of their job. Just my 2 cents. No disrespect intended to anyone with another viewpoint.

I would risk it and get on w/it. What, it takes a few days to kick it out and if it's serious a few more w/the proper antibiotics I mean come on. Sometimes you have to take one for the team!

Cassie

Hee Hee, Cassie I think other people think we are being a little immature. Hey we are both suffering from no sleep due to beautiful little girls, so we can be as silly as we want to!

Although Thandie might have good reasons, and let's take into consideration that we don't have all the details on how it all happened, I still think that from a professional point of view, she should have kissed him and done the scene as it was supposed to be shot.

Ok, on a lighter note, I'm single, I don't have kids, so Gerry, if you want someone to kiss you... :cunning: I'm your girl! :lol:

The answer is still YES. No matter how you word it, the answer will be yes.

Of course it's a fantasy, and it's all in fun to have this discussion (which, by the way I would like to point out has been one of the most interesting and respectful ones in a long time). We're all entitled to our opinions and I'm proud that we're keeping that in mind throughout this entire thread.

From what I read, it sounds like it was Thandie's choice to not so the scene as written. Regardless of it being Gerry or Danny DeVito, it's unprofessional and yes, diva-ish to expect everyone to change for your comfort. If Gerry was well enough to show up, she could have just gotten through the scene, taken some vitamins, have Madonna give her a shot in her arse and move on. As someone else said, I'm a teacher, too, and I can't call in if I have a sick student. Granted I'm not kissing the student but they breath on you and touch you and paper carries more germs than the air.

Taking the fantasy of our biased opinions out of the equation, it was still unprofessional and uncalled for. Like Cassie said . . . just do it and move on.

We will NEVER know the truth and it's all speculation and fun.

Lisa

Your answer is still yes even if he is sick, Lisa and mine is still no even if he is well. I would know where to begin to kiss another man and I have no desire to and I kinda promised I wouldn't if I remember my wedding vows right.

Hubby and I do not kiss when we are all congested. My goodness.

If you all picked up illnesses as easy as I do. You totally wouldn't want to do.

I was down on the bed 6 months out of 2007 2 months with an infected spider bite and another 4 months with staph infection. I am terrified to go to the doctor of the hospital because I am scared I will catch something.

My immune system is crap.

Love,

Tracy

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

With all due respect to everyone's opinions, I just want to point out something. I think that interviews are open to a lot of interpretations and often paraphrase. I have seen many print interviews about Gerry that paraphrase the actual video interview that I have watched -- and sometimes they can give an inaccurate impression or leave out important details that provide clarity.

As far as Thandie "refusing" to kiss Gerry -- who knows how those events actually happened. There could have been a discussion with Guy, Gerry and Thandie about the shot and the fact that he was under the weather. The whole way they were going to shoot the scene could have been up for discussion and she could have stated a preferrence of avoiding kissing. Gerry became very sick and missed work for 5 days during this film. This scene could have been shot the day before he was in bed for almost a week. Who knows? So the fact that he showed up for work, does not in my opinion, mean that he wasn't extremely ill or that his illness (and not Thandie's ego) wasn't the main issue that had to be resolved for that day's shoot. I don't think one should label her as unprofessional and a diva when the facts are missing. Regardless, the way Guy shot the scene seemed to satisfy him. The fact that Gerry was sick may have actually improved the original scene. Small changes occur throughout filming a movie, for many reasons, but the director eventually gets the shot that they want.

I personally wouldn't want to kiss a man that I am in love with when he has throat issues and possibly other physically unappealing symptoms (trying to avoid being graphic here), let alone a man that I only have a working relationship with. I don't think that Gerry would fault Thandie for having concerns. By all accounts, he is professional and kind to his co-stars on set.

Lastly, to actors love scenes are typically very mechanical and not titilating or enjoyable. As appealing as Gerry may be, most actresses, especially happily married ones, probably do not look at a kissing or love scene with him the same way as a fan would. It is just part of their job. Just my 2 cents. No disrespect intended to anyone with another viewpoint.

YES!

What she said.

:pointy:

I've already given my opinion on this subject....But I still don't understand why the fact that she refused a love scene with Gerry had to come out in the first place!! If she hadn't told the media this little tidbit....who would have known? This is the part that makes me think it was unprofessional. To her kissing Gerry is nothing more than part of her job....to us it would be the ultimate wish come true! Tracy Sweetie....I think we all appreciate your feelings and understand where you are coming from. I commend you for holding your marriage vows so Dear to your heart! In my case ...after 44 years with the same man (whom I love BTW) I would not hesitate to Snog the Hell out of Gerry and my DH knows it! He just shakes his head and thinks I've lost my mind....so...I let him think that! :cunning:

:funnyface: Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

Has anyone ever heard of Strep throat or Mono? I think that if the professional shoe was on the other foot Gerry would have appreciated the actress's ethical standards if she refused having to do a love scene when she thought it were possible she had contracted either of these two maladies... Which by the way are not stamped on the forehead for all to know about because they start off innocently enough but end up with a hospital stay and could also include death! I was around when Rock Hudson was to star in Knots Landing and the women were afraid to kiss him because he looked so ill (Later finding out he had aids). :whiteflag:NOT that I even suggest this about Gerry so don't jump on me here Lol!.. No I am just saying all kidding aside I love him to bits but in this particular case it was the professional thing to do. One more thing this could have been just one role she had to play and was set up for another after the shoot was completed and as you know time is money for actors..taking sick is a very serious delay and could cause them to lose a role...

I think we still have not enough information of how it really happened. I can understand that even if you do not feel OK you always have a conflict of responsibilities (even in my, much lower level, I usually do go and try to work no matter how I feel, because otherwise, someone else would have to substitute for me for projects already arranged for). In this case, nobody else would be able to substitute for him, so I believe Mr. Butler, knowing his devotion to work and knowing he knew how much money was already invested to get all the people on the site - really tried to do his best to meet his obligation. You never know, when not feeling well, if it is just an ordinary cold that will pass away in few days, or something more serious. There is always a conflict that you will cause problems if you do come to work and might infect the others, and if you do not come to work and let the others work for you, and if your job is practically irreplacable, as it was in this case, I fully understand that he came to work and did his best, and she might have been threatened because she did not know whether the illness could not have been infectious, and she had her family... It is really difficult to judge the others now, after one year. They might have reschedule the filming, but maybe it was the last scene to be filmed in a particular setting... Anyways, I am just looking forward to seeing the whole thing in our cinemas, and I really wish him much success and happiness, and, especially, strong and good health and no more problems while filming other films! :pointy::pointy::pointy:

I think they could have kissed without swallowing each other. Kissing the neck is always wonderful! It was Guy's vision so he must have thought kissing wasn't necessary. Maybe it fit the role Gerry played. I do think Thandie should not have mentioned anything about this. It is unprofessional. She had her reasons & should have kept her mouth shut out of respect for Gerry & the amount of press the comment would generate.

Has there been a movie that Gerard has been in where there hasn't been stories like this one!? Stuff like this seems to follow this man wherever he goes...although I'm sure he probably didn't feel like doing a sex scene (of all scenes) that day when he was sick. They still did it though just minus the kissing, which is disappointing...sick or not...Gerry is the man to snog when you get the chance! And what did he have, it couldn't have been so bad if he came into work, although he does push himself way to hard! Too bad Thandie...you missed your chance!

And was this really news worthy!? I agree with laxmom...I don't think it should have been mentioned because who knows how someone or some "paper" can twist a story like that.

Brumie