Gerard Butler GALS

9/3 - The tormented torso

Perrin

:galdown:

Don't you just love this guy. I think he does a great job of sharing his feelings.

I skipped what the reporter had to say and just read his answers. We did

not need her "interpretation" of what he was trying to say.

We are here for you Gerry we are your family.....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spotty I must have been posting at the same time as you but the way you broke it down helped me to look at the article differently. Yeah I think you are right. Bea has a good point too! Lets face it we all know Ger is a talker and he can get (now this is not for the ears of certain gutter folk)....Deep! :cunning:

:unsure: Frannie

I can completely relate to the living in so many places you're confused about who you are. I'm 19 and have moved nearly 10 times, only in Ohio, but still. At the end of the day you don't know where you're from. When someone askes me where my hometown is, I don't really know what to say. I usually just answer with, "Uhm..America?" Lol or "I'm from everywhere in Ohio".

It's confusing not having a place where you can put your roots. I know Gerry knows he is Scottish, Irish, and has a home there, also in New York and LA, but it's weird not just having ONE place that your heart can truly rest in.

It wasn't a flattering article at all. The author was asking "deep" questions to prove how shallow the "hulk" was, IMO. Instead of finding it refreshing that a man is sensitive and thoughtful, not to mention being honest about himself during her interview, she seemed to find it somehow humorous that there was "vulnerability" behind the "beefcake".

The shallow one in that room was the author, IMO. No wonder Gerry hates the British press.

Gerry's been searching.... there is no doubt about that. He's said in past interviews that true happiness did not come from one's career. He is aware that there is something more, and he wants it, but I know very few human beings who don't feel this way from time to time.

To me the article was dripping with sarcasm...

The thing is, if Gerry is truly as unhappy as he sounds in this piece, he will deal with it. He's done it before.

I love to read articles that give us insight into this man, but there is a spin to this one that I just don't trust.

Swannie

Gerry's been searching.... there is no doubt about that. He's said in past interviews that true happiness did not come from one's career. He is aware that there is something more, and he wants it, but I know very few human beings who don't feel this way from time to time.

The thing is, if Gerry is truly as unhappy as he sounds in this piece, he will deal with it. He's done it before.

I love to read articles that give us insight into this man, but there is a spin to this one that I just don't trust.

Swannie

yet again - you nailed it Swannie.

He's said before that irony (or sarcasm) doesn't translate well to print. I don't think he sounds like a sad-sack - I just think he realizes that he's on a journey and he's still trying to figure it all out. And bravo to that. He apparently stated that Scottish men are not brought up to express their feelings well, so it's quite amazing that he can do it as beautifully as he can.

And we've all seen him be goofy in interviews and I think the fact that he had a fake gun to the paparazzi below shows that he was probably in a playful mood and some of his comments weren't quite as somber in person.

He'll be just fine!!

Like so many others, I find the piece slightly off kelter, somehow but I DID like the description

"Gerard Butler is standing at the window with his back to me, aiming a gun. His tree-trunk legs are spread wide. His biceps are stretching his cashmere jersey, his deltoids flexing like a pair of dolphins trying to nibble his ears. Testosterone oozes across the room." :drool1:

Swannie

I wasn't going to post again, but . . . I sure hope you're right, Swannie. This article just hit me hard. I don't see how he was being sarcastic or funny, but I'll open my mind enough to think maybe. MAYBE. I still think there is a LOT of truth in Gerry's words. Sometimes when someone is joking or trying to be funny or sarcastic there is a lot of truth to it and they hide it with the sarcasm and humor.

Either way, Gerry still is trying to find balance in his life and I hope to God he finds it no matter what or where. I just want him to be happy on the inside, and we'll never really know that or not. But it's my hope and dream for him . . . total PEACE.

This is one of those interviews that you'd love to hear the whole tape to see how much was left out and deliberately misrepresented.

ETA: Now THAT I agree with. And to hear tone of voice from Gerry. Funny, but I didn't even bother with the interviewer. Maybe I'll read it again tomorrow. I also wasn't reading it from the author's POV. Just Gerry's words hit me so hard . . .

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

To me, there is absolutely no question that this reporter was hostile. It sounded to me like she wanted an assassination article, but just couldn't get anything for it from Gerry, so she decided to ridicule what she could and damn-with-faint-praise what she couldn't.

Despite being well-written, with vivid descriptive imagery, the article was trash, IMHO.

Seumus

It wasn't a flattering article at all. The author was asking "deep" questions to prove how shallow the "hulk" was, IMO. Instead of finding it refreshing that a man is sensitive and thoughtful, not to mention being honest about himself during her interview, she seemed to find it somehow humorous that there was "vulnerability" behind the "beefcake".

The shallow one in that room was the author, IMO. No wonder Gerry hates the British press.

I absolutely agree. The title did not strike me as being "in to him" but being condescending. 'Isn't this a laugh? The Torso has feelings!'

And dissing Ritchie's film as being worthless on anyone's resume except perhaps our pumped up action hero. Only someone like him would find it a "stretch". And his career on a plateau(stalled-out)? When he is actually on a definite rise?

She was dismissive and unflattering. 'Sure he looks good but not much future in that.'

This is one of those interviews that you'd love to hear the whole tape to see how much was left out and deliberately misrepresented.

Jane

Edited by Jeb

To me, there is absolutely no question that this reporter was hostile. It sounded to me like she wanted an assassination article, but just couldn't get anything for it from Gerry, so she decided to ridicule what she could and damn-with-faint-praise what she couldn't.

Despite being well-written, with vivid descriptive imagery, the article was trash, IMHO.

Seumus

I agree. Other than the physical descriptions this article left me feeling off and a little disgusted. I can't say if those quotes are 100% accurate, but we have all heard/read other things he has said that sound familiar so his sentiments and over all deep feeling are nothing new. In fact those emotions are the very reason he intrigued me so much in the beginning. I have a problem with her spin on his emotions, her tone throughout the article was not meant to be empathizing or even neutral IMO. It felt like it was more condescending like "awwwww look at the hunk/beefcake who has feelings and insecurities, isn't that just sad" and that part infuriated me. I love being able to get glimpses of his emotions but not at the cost that he is being subtly made fun of.

Maybe I am just in a mood and took it the wrong way, but those were my initial feelings after reading it.

Lisa, I don't mean at all that Gerry was being sarcastic.... but the author of the article certainly was. And you know what else? I did not think her first line of his physical description was at all complementary. I think it was ridiculously corny, like a backhanded compliment.

I think he probably said everything she quoted, but I don't think he's nearly as bad off as she says. Yes I have seen a difference in him over the last 6 months, and yes I have been concerned, which is why I almost jumped for joy when the Comic con photos emerged. He's coming through a rough time, but he'll make it, and in the premiere photos he looks more like his old self than he has in months.

He's also between projects and most artists get morose and introspective when they are not creating.

Swannie

Swannie

I wasn't going to post again, but . . . I sure hope you're right, Swannie. This article just hit me hard. I don't see how he was being sarcastic or funny, but I'll open my mind enough to think maybe. MAYBE. I still think there is a LOT of truth in Gerry's words. Sometimes when someone is joking or trying to be funny or sarcastic there is a lot of truth to it and they hide it with the sarcasm and humor.

Either way, Gerry still is trying to find balance in his life and I hope to God he finds it no matter what or where. I just want him to be happy on the inside, and we'll never really know that or not. But it's my hope and dream for him . . . total PEACE.

ETA: Now THAT I agree with. And to hear tone of voice from Gerry. Funny, but I didn't even bother with the interviewer. Maybe I'll read it again tomorrow. I also wasn't reading it from the author's POV. Just Gerry's words hit me so hard . . .

Lisa

I must say I found this article rather superficial. No matter what a degree she might possess, she definitely is not a good psychologist. And she probably was not well aware of whom is she speaking to. Even if she got the feelings about him she describes (and I believe he might have said things that supported it - probably he should not have been so open to unknown people like her), it is not a thing you would write to a widely-read newspaper, especially when a new film is to be released tomorrow and people should have rather positive attitudes (both about the film and the actors) to go and see it. Well, we all know already that he is MUCH more than just "a piece of flesh", no matter how beautiful one, and that he is a very deeply thinking person. I think that no matter how you decide, there are always good and bad things about all your choices (both in professional and personal life), and you will always have doubts whether your decision was the right one. I also believe that such an "unsettled" way of life film actors have, with no permanent place to stay, no permanent group of people to work with, makes it much more difficult to have a normal personal life and does not add too much to its stability. I would not chose it, if he did, there are pros and cons going with that. If he feels like that was enough and decides to try something else, I would be totally fine - I already have DVDs with 18 films he is in, I can watch it again and again. I just do not wish him to be sad and unhappy. It is a question whether he even wants to be completely stable and happy (well, it even cannot exist 100%, otherwise you will not realize how happy you are if you are), maybe he even needs a certain level of doubt as a "driving force", but I really wish him to achieve whatever he wants. I know I cannot help him in it, I would like to, but it is something he must decide himself. And I am sure he will do the right thing!!! :pointy::pointy::pointy:

Edited by Donnie

When I first read this article, my first thought was "Oh, this poor sad man." But, then as I thought about it, I now think "Wait a minute - this guy is an actor and a good one." Now, I think he was giving this intrusive reporter a tweak perhaps to see how far he could go and how far she would fall into it. Was he laughing at her and she didn't pick up on it? He is quite intelligent and can play any role at any time. Perhaps, this time, he was being the lonely, lost Phantom - hum - wonder where he got that? :funnyface:

Edited by Dreamer

Dear Frankie....slush? I think not.

This is a strange interview. It seems to me that Gerard is revealed. I sense a vulnerability about him, almost not sure of what he is supposed to be. Maybe in his private moments he does live too much inside his head, spends too long contemplating life, it's mysteries and maybe worrying about his insecurities. When I saw him at the RnR prem, he seemed a little lost, as if he was just 'going through the motions'. That's partly why I spoke to him and told him that it was so lovely to see him. I wanted him to feel and know that he was not just a commodity or someone there just to make 'us' happy. His response was almost of shock that I had said what I said, totally unexpected. I hope it helped him to feel and know that he is valued 'for himself' as a whole and not just 'a pretty face'.

If I could just have some time to sit down with this guy and talk to him properly. I feel that he really needs it.

This is just my opinion.

I would like to exhibit very much my point of view but my difficulties with english do that it´s impossible. And it´s frustrating!

I believe that in spite of his age he keeps on being a lost and scared child. Sometimes, of course. We all have lights and shades. Some more than others. But when I read these interviews I see a soul anxious to find comprehension. Has he found his place in the life? I believe that not. He looks for something. Seems that he wants to fill a gap but isn´t known how.

I would want to say more things but I cannot. I hope I could explain to you to where I want to come with my words! In Spanish I´m very eloquent but in english... Oh, is terrible not to be able to express oneself! :tissues:

P.S. Excuse me if you cannot understand me.

I really hope he finds happiness. Acting isn't always a rewarding career. It's actually a very vain career, and some people find happiness in it, but for others, it's unfullfilling.  :bonk: I don't want him to leave acting, especially with those tree-like legs spread wide--I happen to belong to two of those facebook groups: Gerard Butler Can Even Make Deformity Look Sexy and Gerard Butler Can Impregnate By Touch Alone--but if his happiness is at stake, I agree with a lot of you. That's what is the most important thing. :sad: We GALS are the second. hahahahahaha.

Edited by lm.law

He has said several times he loves acting, that he wants to do it til he's dead. He's also said he doesn't like paps or red carpets or the 'celebrity' end of it. He's between jobs - always tough for an actor. He's got screaming women on the one hand and idolizing fanboys and dismissive, snarky media types on the other. He's also got a reporter looking for an 'angle', a 'story'. Did he say these things? I'm sure he did. And a lot of other things as well unless she only interviewed him for three minutes. Did he mean it? Sure - sometimes. Like many have said, we all go through ups and downs about what we've chosen and how it will work out. How things will go for him in the future, in his mind, is still an uncertainty. I know he will triumph (LOL) but he's not sure. . . sometimes.

In other words, I believe everything he says and that it's true - at the time he says it. But, I also believe that moods change. He also says and believes other things, too. Just like a REAL PERSON, you know? I think he would be miserable if he wasn't acting. To do that he has to do other things that he might not enjoy as much but going off to do something else, I don't think would make him happy at all. There are a lot of "ifs" in his life because he's still young, life still has a lot of possibilities. He gets anxious sometimes, frustrated sometimes, amazed sometimes. But it works out. It really does. I listen to my adult children who express some of the same things and I sympathize and reasure but I know, whatever happens, IT WILL ALL WORK OUT.

He has enormous talent that is just beginning to be seriously tapped. He has drive and courage and the ability to persevere. He has people in his life who love him and want the best for him. He has friends and fans to cheer him now and then. Don't worry too much, Gerry. Life has trade-offs, but in the end, IT ALL WORKS OUT. And it will for him, too.

Jane

Edited by Jeb