Gerard Butler GALS

9/3 - The tormented torso

OK - Somebody PLEASE tell me why every post doubles! Yesterday and today - this is NOT working out! LOL

What do I need to push???

Jane, it's because you make such great posts, the board just automatically doubles them! Actually, I have no idea why it does that sometimes, but don't worry, the MODS will delete the copycat.

I agree with what you are saying. Gerry is by nature a moody guy, and he's said in several interviews that he can't be happy unless he's making himself miserable about something! I just refuse to see him as the depressed and lonely guy this article spins him into. I think he DOES have some of those issues, but that's only part of the picture.

As to being lonely... I have a great marriage and great friends. I'm rarely alone, and yet there are times when I feel very lonely (within myself) Does that mean I'm miserable? No, it just means I'm human. And guess why.... because on the whole earth there is no one who knows the real and true me. No one but me. Not even my hubby, who knows me better than anyone. I think as Gerry matures, he's just grappling with some of these life issues, but I can only see that as a positive. It's not a bad thing to question your choices and to search your soul,

I've read plenty of articles where Gerry has said very similar things.... but I still say something about this author's tone is off kilter.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this article rather perplexing for several reasons. Overall, I think the reporter was trying to work it a bit with our boy. Not in the most flattering of angles either. Also, I think earlier in his career GB was so open, so honest, so completely laying it on the line that he has matured and learned to dial it back a bit. With that GB has not changed who is he, he has only changed how he lets the public come into see what he is. So reporters don't get the quotes they want to and take one bit like the meat comment or 10 minute nature comment and call him tourmented. I think that is unfair, but that is what has happened now with Gerry. He is famous, A-list even and he has to be more guarded in letting the World in.

Also, the past year and a half (short period of time) he got household famous with 300 and that has had a major inpact on how the business has changed his once very rose colored glass view of acting. He still loves it, and has a passion for it, but he is not going to give up too much more of himself. He is learning and I respect him for it.

I read that article 3 times and 3 times I came away with a different perspective. Each time however, loving this guy more and more...

Hey Perrin !! Thanks for this great article !!

Wow ! What a great read -- I have to confess that the first feelings and thoughts -- that I was

struck with after reading this is ---

At least Gerry has the wisdom and courage to Re-Evaluate... ReCheck... Soul-Search the things

in his life !! -- I mean this as a HUGE Complement to Gerry !! -- I can relate to his searching spirit.

(I've spent most of my life soul-searching, questioning myself, and the world around me, all the

Whys, Hows, and Where does it all lead to's -- etc... and pursuing a Purpose thing..)

and I think (whether the article writing lady knows it -- or not ...) She hit the nail -- square on the

head -- why sooo many of us have -- just fallen, been drawn in, captivated, and feel soo close to

Gerry -- because -- He is willing to open up/search/talk... about things good and bad in his life --

and life in general -- He's so open and isn't really afraid (or if he is -- he takes a Risk anyway)to make himself -- vunerable..

Maybe the writer Lady should try his approach -- the "seemingly lost style" for a change in her own

life -- (not to be so damn Catty -LOL - but I sorta picked up a negative vibe from her)..

Sometimes those who look lost are much closer to reaching "found" and are much more --

standing on Solid Ground" -- than those who never question anything, become complacent about

life, follow the herd blindly or are too ashamed,afraid, or proud to pause, reflect, recheck & maybe

even ask for help now and again -- eghad !!

Not that what I think --- should matter to anyone but myself & God -- I think Gerry is more ahead of

the "personal road to inner-peace" than a lot of folks.

Not that it -- is a competition -- because to me -- it's not -- the only person we really have to

compete with -- is ourselves...

Gerry -- I think your Beautiful -- Dude -- Take Care & God Bless You !!

Amanda-Tee

I'm enjoying all the perspectives, and RAMSEYGIRL I agree - you're just fine. You make a point better than some do in fluent English - myself included.

Thank you, Swannie, for clarifying what you meant. :D That helps. Yes, he is moody and can change from day to day how he feels. Perhaps Gerry was feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment of the interview and so we saw a deeper part of his soul at that moment. I'm glad, though.

I haven't read it again and I don't need to. I do believe the interviewer did NOT have Gerry's best interest at heart. But I do believe he was completely honest. I'm not nearly as sad as I was yesterday, but when I saw the new pic that came with the printed article, I feel that my point was made - IN HIS EYES.

Posted Image

Such a beautiful man . . . but the eyes don't lie. And his left eyelid is getting more droopy. I think he's just tired, but I haven't seen it like that for a while. I just can't wait to see some happy pics from today.

Ramsay Girl, your words hit the centre....

I have to say that to me unfortunately this interview is just adding to what I have felt and seen in the past months. I was at the RnR premiere and I have been lucky to see him very close and what shocked me most were his eyes. He was smiling, he was enjoying the crowd loving him, he looked drop-dead gorgeous in that suit but when I looked in his eyes I felt so sad.... it was a sensation that took me by surprise, I was expecting to swoon over him, instead what I saw in his eyes was just sadness. I do not know if anyone else who was there on Monday saw that, I might imagine it all but it struck me so hard, it was like having a door slammed on your face...

sorry for that, I had to say it, it has been churning in me since Monday..and I know that most of you will disagree with me..you cannot imagine how much I hope to be wrong.

I guess the title "The Tired Actor" wouldn't have gotten as much attention as "The Tortured Torso". I agree that the writer's tone does not come across as flattering, but I enjoyed reading Gerry's comments. It was always my belief that fame has a downside and in the past year and a half Gerry has probably been battered a bit by that fact. It seemed to me that prior to "300" being released Gerry saw the fame game as all good - or at least mostly good. But he's seen first hand now the loss of privacy, and maybe even people who have tried to become part of his life just to have a piece of him. Only he knows what his experiences have been and how they've impacted his psyche and his well-being. He is on a spiritual quest, something many of us have done. But someone on such a quest usually doesn't know in the midst of it where he expects to be in 5 years. What a stupid question to ask a very intelligent person. While the writer attempts to put his failure to answer that query in a poor light, I instead saw it as the answer of a real man who knows that his life may take many more twists and turns in the next 5 years, and he probably hopes that it will!

My life is no where near as volatile as Gerry's and I don't know where I see myself in 5 years, because I like to leave myself open to "go with the flow" and see where it is going to take me. If he is going through some pain it may be a period of growth for him, and in an actor that sort of pain and growth can translate into amazing on-screen performances. So I don't wish to take it away from him, and if he is really the kind of person who prefers a more melancholy outlook (as he has said in the past) I won't even wish "happiness" for him - maybe fulfillment, or contentment, or sense of purpose if those are things he would be more comfortable with.

What I do wish for him is to realize that no matter what else is happening, has happened or will happen, that his life has made a difference, a tremendous and positive difference to people he will never meet.

I do wish to send him a cosmic hug - across the universe to wherever he may be. I will not get the opportunity to give him real hugs anytime in the future so the energy of a cosmic hug will have to do. I hope he feels it - especially if others join in. The power of thoughts and emotions can carry far.

I liked the article. There are always two sides to an interview...the person being interviewed and the person who is doing the interview. The trick is to listen to the interviewee and not the interviewer. Gerry, when you get lonely just call a "GAL" Anyone of us could make you feel so much better. LOL You see, we really do care about the real person you are.

Sally

Thank you for that, Susan.

We are only fans. We see photographs of Gerry where there is sadness in his eyes, or we hear first hand accounts of how there IS sadness in his eyes.... and it hurts us. We have so little information to piece together what might possibly be going on with him, and then an article like this seems to confirm what many of us have feared... that Gerry is going through a tough time, and that perhaps the sadness we see in him is not just our imagination.

But... what you say is so true. For artists, the dark and sad times are often our most creative; from which we draw out our best work. Gerry is not so innocent anymore to the business side of the film business, and perhaps he's just re-evaluating his place in that world.

I don't want him to be sad... I don't want anyone I love to be sad, but sadness is a part of life, and we all have our seasons of it. It's difficult as fans to stand back and watch... to wonder and worry and not have any real answers. All we can do is love him, surround him with prayers and good thoughts.... and believe in him. Believe that the same man who quit drinking, who left a career he hated for a career he loves... will somehow get through this rough time and become a better man because of it.

Swannie

I guess the title "The Tired Actor" wouldn't have gotten as much attention as "The Tortured Torso". I agree that the writer's tone does not come across as flattering, but I enjoyed reading Gerry's comments. It was always my belief that fame has a downside and in the past year and a half Gerry has probably been battered a bit by that fact. It seemed to me that prior to "300" being released Gerry saw the fame game as all good - or at least mostly good. But he's seen first hand now the loss of privacy, and maybe even people who have tried to become part of his life just to have a piece of him. Only he knows what his experiences have been and how they've impacted his psyche and his well-being. He is on a spiritual quest, something many of us have done. But someone on such a quest usually doesn't know in the midst of it where he expects to be in 5 years. What a stupid question to ask a very intelligent person. While the writer attempts to put his failure to answer that query in a poor light, I instead saw it as the answer of a real man who knows that his life may take many more twists and turns in the next 5 years, and he probably hopes that it will!

My life is no where near as volatile as Gerry's and I don't know where I see myself in 5 years, because I like to leave myself open to "go with the flow" and see where it is going to take me. If he is going through some pain it may be a period of growth for him, and in an actor that sort of pain and growth can translate into amazing on-screen performances. So I don't wish to take it away from him, and if he is really the kind of person who prefers a more melancholy outlook (as he has said in the past) I won't even wish "happiness" for him - maybe fulfillment, or contentment, or sense of purpose if those are things he would be more comfortable with.

What I do wish for him is to realize that no matter what else is happening, has happened or will happen, that his life has made a difference, a tremendous and positive difference to people he will never meet.

That was a really strange interview with all the references to corrupt Facebook pages and attracting people who practice corrupt lifestyles - muscles, torso... :unsure::scared::sick:

Anyway, all of that muck aside - it was really sad to find out more of Gerard's state of mind (at least on that day, if not always).

He definitely does sound as if he's given up hope of ever having a stable family life, and yet he realizes that just having his career and the fandom is not enough. And all of his healthy lifestyle and "bonding with nature", although its good that he's quit smoking and eating better, its still not helping. :unsure:

I wonder if there's more reason to his not wanting to marry than just his career. He's already said that he wants to find a good woman who will not be impressed (or interested) in his celebrity and will give him the loving, secure enviroment that he needs. But I wonder if perhaps he may be afraid to marry? Because of what happened to his own parents.

Its just a thought and I probably shouldn't have said anything like that. But I feel sad for him being in this state.

I don't like to over analyze things, but is it just me or does Gerry seem not happy about his life? It kind of worries me to read things like "He says something vague about accepting his career, going on a spiritual journey, and that he's in no hurry to have children. " or "I am prone to getting inside my head too much. I feel it quite heavily from time to time. In this job, there's more chance for that. Not all the time, just 95%. It's like: please don't leave me alone."... I dunno, I just hope Gerry is happy and if he isn't, then I hope he finds happiness and peace in his life, even if that means leaving the business.

No, I agree. I think so too.

If it comes down to it, its better for him to leave the business and find the woman that will love and help him in his life than continuing to stay in the world of showbusiness and be empty on the inside.

It definitely would not be worth it to remain in showbusiness and have tons of money, fame, and prestige and be empty spirtually and emotionally. And everyone knows the atmosphere in LA - its essentially corrupt and shallow - if he continues to remain there.....

< : - ( I just hope that day won't come. Because it would be a waste of a life.

Edited by Emily-Mackenzie

thank you for posting that article:) I agree with what most of you said about the interviewer but I also feel he was being very open about his feelings. I didnt know he lost his father at that age, I lost mine at about the same age, it's something that stays with you, so does the relationship your parents have but I dont want to get into that.

I loved what he said about his eating habits, that was one reason I became a vegetarian, thinking about what you put into your body and where it comes from and what it represents. It shows he's thinking about it at least and he isnt a mindless person. The interviewer could have written that article in a different manner, but oh well

Im sure he knows exactly what he wants in life and how to find it, he seems to have been doing a great job of it and I hope whatever he does in the future he will still be a part of the biz in whatever way, he seems sooo damn good at it, let him enjoy his time

It would be sad if he didnt do or couldnt be what he was meant to be, it's a gift, most of us throw our gifts away or never realize them

Marriage and kids....I have alot to say about this, but i won't, as a single person im always being questioned why Im not married, why I dont have kids yet, I want to be but it just hasnt happened and people should learn to mind their own business

sorry OT :unsure:

I have to say the opening line of the article does bring a great visual to mind :cunning:

sorry for my blabbering two cents and thanks for that interview and those photos that go with it :)

My guess is that this will be one of those "half the time I don't remember what I said" interviews (as he indicated in the RNR interview with the gal giving him his card...)

:inshade: Okay, jumping in and just giving my own take on the article...(please, no flaming arrows people :inshade: , I don't have any shade to fight in :kisswink: , it is hotter than the freaking blazes out here in the frying pan of the Inland Empire...) also, I haven't plowed through all the pages of posts, so this is just my initial take on reading it with a few additional comments...

First of all, print articles can very often leave much to be desired... just as anything on a computer can sometimes do the same...such as emails, posts etc (to say the least) ...there is so often misunderstanding due to not being able to see or hear the person or people speaking...and so, there is no way to know how something is "spun", or to be able to "read" the tone, inflections, sarcasm, ruefulness, etc of either the interviewer or the interviewee...and this kind of interviewer is not my favorite kind...I have noticed that alot of the "reporters/critics" of this type tend to come across very cynical and snide... when maybe they were going for the joke...and indeed, that does fall flat. It doesn't appear that she was all that sensitive to Gerry...but, maybe this gives us another opportunity to see some of the "sides" of Gerry that we might not see in an interview where the person quite obviously loves him (the way we do) or who is even more neutral.

I saw this article as a very real insight into so many of the *colors* of Gerry's personality...I have always felt that he is very sensitive (i.e. his remarks about sitting on the PSILY set, alone, in his shamrock boxers and shedding very real tears for Hilary after she got hurt by the suspenders...)

Sometimes, I think that it is very hard for people to accept that Gerry is not completely "King Leo"...he is just like us, in so many ways...to me, everyone has difficult moments and all of us struggle with so many of the same things: identity, weakness, loneliness, self-image, sensitivity to our surroundings, trying to figure out the world and how we fit into it...From Gerry, to every single one of us, we all search continually throughout our lives to "figure it all out" ...and we all feel so many of the same things...and to me, it is many of those very human frailties and emotions which connect us to one another at the deep down heart-level...

I found the interview very often keenly perceptive(speaking of Gerry) and a bit stunning in that there was very little attempt to "sugar-coat" anything(speaking of the interviewer). I don't always find that kind of thing comfortable to read(in fact I rarely do and the same is true in this case)..and it can be a harsh pill to swallow when the words are about someone that we love and respect as much as we do Gerry. Still, I think it is important for us to see Gerry as a real living, breathing, *feeling* human being...and this article definitely gave us the full spectrum of his "observations" about the life he is living and the life which shaped him.

Most of all I found it thought-provoking and it made me "feel for him" (in the sense of relating and feeling empathy) even more...and I long to reach out with all of my love and surround him with the knowledge of how very precious he is and how very much he truly is loved. I think the only way I can deal with this kind of stuff is to hand Gerry over to the One who made him...praying with all my heart for protection and peace and comfort and love and blessings to overflow into his heart and into his life...which I have been doing, ever since we first tumbled into the Gerry-world going on 4 years ago. Still praying and still sending love and light to Gerry, always...

Much,much love and

abundant blessings

to Gerry and to us *all*

xoxoxoxoCheri

you know how things go, happiness will smack him right in the face, and that will be it, he will be head over heels. I do have to say, that he sounds a bit lonely, and I'm sure he is to a point. Being with so many different people, friends, etc, is not the same as having someone there for you, intimately, giving up the business, not going to happen, he says it's what he loves to do.

sunbeach

Ramsay Girl, your words hit the centre....

I have to say that to me unfortunately this interview is just adding to what I have felt and seen in the past months. I was at the RnR premiere and I have been lucky to see him very close and what shocked me most were his eyes. He was smiling, he was enjoying the crowd loving him, he looked drop-dead gorgeous in that suit but when I looked in his eyes I felt so sad.... it was a sensation that took me by surprise, I was expecting to swoon over him, instead what I saw in his eyes was just sadness. I do not know if anyone else who was there on Monday saw that, I might imagine it all but it struck me so hard, it was like having a door slammed on your face...

sorry for that, I had to say it, it has been churning in me since Monday..and I know that most of you will disagree with me..you cannot imagine how much I hope to be wrong.

I agree with you Elisabeth. I was there, standing very close to him and I saw it too.

My guess is that this will be one of those "half the time I don't remember what I said" interviews (as he indicated in the RNR interview with the gal giving him his card...)

I second that!

I must be in the minority here, because I actually liked the interview and also did not get the negative vibe from the writer that many of you have expressed.

I saw this article as contrasting Gerry's public and physical appearance with who he actually is. Her comments about the facebook sites, I saw, as examples of how much of the public see him -- as a hunk or just a "body". I did not see that as a slam towards his fandom in general. She then states that the menace that you see in his characters just isn't present in real life. Instead he is just a normal human being trying to find his way and maintain a good attitude. There are things that trouble him and cause him introspection, just like anybody else.

I did think, however, that she possibly was not a fan of Guy Ritchie -- like much of the press in the UK. Her comment about being skeptical that a Guy Ritchie movie could be vehicle for Gerry to show his acting range indicated this to me. However, after Gerry described the character, the interviewer agreed that it could be the perfect Butler part -- a hard man with a soft center. She seemed to see the the real Gerry and her article, to me, seemed to show that contrast between the man and the image.

Lastly, she gives a brief run down of his career and points out the "hard-men" roles were interspersed with slush, such as Dear Frankie. I did not read that "slush" comment as synonymous with fluff or as an insult. I read it in the literary sense of comparing a "hard" character to one of slush, i.e a mixture of solid and liquid, one that is manly and yet sensitive. Perhaps this is just a difference in tone and inference in the journalism in the UK and the USA.

I loved the article for the insight that it gave into Gerry and also the contrast that I believe the author was trying to make. I thought she got what many of us have seen for a long time......just my opinion.

Edited by Dallas

Dallas you make a good point. I noticed as I read the article I often found myself wondering whether the writer was trying to be positive or negative. Some things did sound very positive and others sounded more sarcastic or like a put-down. But without the advantage of tone of voice or body language those things are difficult to discern. I do know that the vernacular is different - for instance I at first wondered why she was calling him a "geezer" until I realized that seems to be a Brit term for "gangster" or something like that whereas in the U.S. a "geezer" is usually referring to an old man.

As for whether there is sadness in his eyes - I was there in 2005 when he was autographing a drawing that a fan had done of him - a version of this picture:

Posted Image

and when he saw it he said "She saw my soul, and it is sad." So it has been at least 3-1/2 years (and possibly most of his life) that he has seen himself as sad some or maybe even much of the time. Someone like that won't be "made happy" by another person. He will hopefully find someone someday (if he wants to) with whom he can be completely himself and be loved just as completely. But she will likely need to be someone who understands that sad side of him and doesn't expect herself to be the "cure-all" for his melancholy, because love won't change that. In my misinformed youth I tried to do that for a man and it was disastrous. I was sure if I just loved him enough he would become happy - didn't happen, never could!! But it is our own conception of "happiness" that we wish to impart to someone else, and that isn't always what the other person is seeking.

Anyway, I love him . . . and knowing how he hates the paps enough to pretend to shoot them . . . Gotta say . . . maybe we shouldn't be promoting them.

Lisa

This is my very first post, so please understand if I do something wrong in the way I format it.....I'm still learning! :kisswink:

I just want to say that I'm very happy that someone mentioned the idea of not using any paps photos on Gerry's Gals since he obviously has quite a distaste for them. We've talked about wishing they would quit hounding him but they're taking the pics for us because we use them, share them, post them in our siggies, etc. Maybe we could offer Gerry some respect and quit posting these intrusive photographs on this site and leave it to the gossip sites. I know I would feel a bit better about myself to know that I don't have anything to do with Gerry's dismay regarding this issue. Anybody else?

Hi Mo.....and Welcome to Gals! I for one would not have a problem with your idea but in the end it could very well be a "Tall order" I mean we may have a long dry spell but what ever this site does with this I will respect their wishes!

:wave: Frannie

Well I just had to go back and read this again! Here's what I got out of it! This interviewer is not a fan of Guy Richie...I do think she made a point of that! However...I don't think she was Gerry Bashing or being sarcastic. I think she asked some deep and personal questions and I think Gerry must have felt comfortable enough with her to answer the way he did..I actually think because she is a woman her questions leaned toward his inner feelings more so than his toughness! We really have to stop and think as fans of Gerry ...not everyone is...so when they see the fandom that he DOES have it's mind blowing to them and quite frankly they don't understand it! I remember my LBGB! Yup...my "life before Gerard Butler"....the last thing you would catch me doing is joining a fan club or site for anyone! Especially at my age... but I got the Gerry juice! Sometimes and I know I'm not the only one that has thought this...I wish that I hadn't!...But then I wouldn't be here and feel comfortable enough to express my opinion and my own feelings regarding this "tormented torso" article. Besides doesn't tormented torso mean ...his body is in pain? Tormented soul would be more appropriate for this article if you ask me!...But then I think I'm reading a lot more into this than I should! Maybe he;s just having a meloncholy day!! I have them quite often myself! I don't think he's sad ...I think he's most likely lonely at times....I think he's tired and being in constant demand is wearing on him but I still don't think he's that sad! Maybe he's just venting! we all need to do that now don't we? BTW....JMO! :lalala:

:wave: Frannie

Well said, Gerry does have a sadness in his eyes, we had talked about his sparkle a couple of months ago, it seems it's fading again, keep the faith, he will spring back. Maybe he'll be able to get away again or regroup, whatever he needs to get his center back.

sunbeach :kisswink: