Sign in to follow this  
becozy

9/8 - Gerard Butler: I'm Just an Average Guy

thanks scorpio613..

from: http://showbizspy.com/showbiz/09082008/Ger...-an-Average-Guy

Gerard Butler: 'I'm Just an Average Guy'

By Adam Nutburn,

September 8 2008

Hollywood hunk Gerard Butler insists he is seen as nothing more than average when he goes home to Scotland.

The actor -- who is currently starring in Guy Ritchie's new gangster flick RocknRolla -- says people barely recognize him when he's back home.

He explains, "In America I'm seen as a very strong, masculine guy.

"But in Scotland I'm just like a lot of other guys. Back home in Glasgow, you probably grow up faster.

"You have to deal with more sh**, more realism. In LA, it's a superficial, perfect world. In Glasgow, you're expected to be a man."

What she said! :funnyup:

:p Frannie

YEAH.........He's AVERAGE :lalala:

Well, if there are plenty of men just like him in Scotland.......I will sell my house and MOVE there....

You think hubby will mind? :unsure:

Well, if there are plenty of men just like him in Scotland.......I will sell my house and MOVE there....

You and me both GJ !!

Gerry average?

I wish I could meet average men like him around here!! :D

Would you rent me a room? :lol: They don't grow them like this up here in Canada!

Yeah this is taken from another interview, but who cares . . .

I guess that's the difference . . . American men aren't EXPECTED to be men. That's why Gerry and other European, etc. men seem so masculine to us. American men are now expected to be wimpy where us American women are becoming stronger emotionally and spiritually. Pretty soon, we won't even need them for too much! :lol:

We've all said the same thing for years, and this confirms it . . . Gerry is a real MAN for sure. He'll always make me feel like a woman . . .

Lisa

I need to move to Scotland ASAP!

When's the next flight? Ship? I'll swim if I need to . . .

:wow2:

Guest DonnaKat

Gerry is about as "average" as I am rich.

Come down to the Midwest and live around some 'real' people, Gerry. You'll soon see enough how "average" you are.

The men around here aren't "LA" men. They're men who work for a living, and go home with callouses on their hands and callouses on their hearts. It isn't a Glasgow phenomenon.

Edited by DonnaKat

Come down to the Midwest and live around some 'real' people, Gerry. You'll soon see enough how "average" you are.

The men around here aren't "LA" men. They're men who work for a living, and go home with callouses on their hands and callouses on their hearts. It isn't a Glasgow phenomenon.

BTW, I wonder when and to whom he really said these words. It seems to me to be exactly the same quotations as in "The Tormented Torso", only in different context! But he is soooooooooooooooooo adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pointy::pointy::pointy:

Well said, DonnaKat!! Maybe Gerry hasn't met many "real" people in the US.........mostly priveleged types in LA and NYC.

Still, he's so thoughtful and insightful and grateful, for what he now has.........

Love that man!!

Judy

:whome2:

Edited by Emily Bronte

I'd say Gerry is above average for just about any region in the world, not just in America or LA. He is so very special that I doubt many people can hold a candlelight to him. There are great guys in all parts of the world, he's just very, very special. I'm sure he probably grew up faster in Scotland than most of our men do here. They have a much different culture there, more rugged because the country is more rugged. Our midwest is also still rugged as DK said, but there is just something about Gerry that I've not seen before, something inside that glows a little brighter. Hey, you know me, I love this man absolutely, to me there has never been nor will ever be another quite as special as Gerard James Butler.

:whome2:

Yes, Darlin'

Precious You!!

Gerry,

Whatever you are, the words "average", "ordinary", "typical" and anything else that puts you in the median simply do NOT apply. You're humble, sweet, cheeky, brilliant, extremely intelligent, insightful and a hundred or more things that need more space than is available here.

Believe me when I say that the people you come in contact with here in the US on a daily basis aren't really your "average Americans". The "average" American is closer to you Glaswegians than you might imagine. They're tough, full of spit, vinegar, brass and sass. The next time you take some time off, get in your car and start driving off the interstates and take the side roads. That's the REAL America.

Love ya!

CW

Guest Winter Angel

GJ - I think I will join you in the exodus to Scotland. I need to be surrounded by true masculinity.... :cunning:

DK - I have to agree with you, it isn't a Glasgow phenomenon. He has met the privileged few in LA.

As far as Real Men go, you just have to know where to look. Here in the south we have "guys", "bubba", and cannot forget "rednecks". I love them all. Some are men, the few that are have been claimed already. These few and far between "Jewels", aka real men like, are the ones that drive us women wild. Gerry is the only masculine, rugged man, :drool1: :drool1: (okay that sounded really stupid :doh: ), I have ever laid eyes on. Mind you I have never seen him in person but I know a true man when I see one :cunning: . You tend to notice real, rugged men more when you work with a bunch of homosexuals, (which is what my work environment is like :tantrum: No real men! GAAH! :tantrum: ).

Okay, I am off my soapbox now.

Gerry,

Take a drive and use the side roads. Most folks you may meet in rugged America are a lot like you. Down to earth human beings who love their family. They have callouses on their hands, hearts and spirits from the many storms they have weathered in life. Yes most males here in the States do not grow you like you did. But they do grow up into fine people. You just have to know where to look. If you ever visit Georgia, I would like to show you what I mean.

Angel :music:

Edited by Winter Angel

He under estimates himself, he's got to be way ABOVE average to live the kind of life style he has chosen. it's nice to hear that he has very high standards. how can you not admire him

sunbeach

Count me in, and no, your hubbie shouldn't mind. Fly back home every 3 months, spend a week cooking and freezing 3 months worth of his favorite meals, and you should be all set!

That's what I love about Gerry, he is a real man. Not a Hollywood pretty boy.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one - cause I see this comment from Gerry's point of view. The measure of a man is not had how hard he works or how many callouses he collects. To me, the "average man" works hard, takes care of his family and is unassuming about it all. To him, it's just another day. I think that sense, Gerry IS just an average guy. His name and face is splattered all over the internet for the world to see, but he still shows up for work, does his job, does it well, and takes care of business. He loves his mom, his family, nieces, etc. What's not average about that? He may LIVE above average, but Gerry is just a guy underneath all the Hollywood glitz and glam that he's caught up in.

We think he's special and wonderful and above average because we're his fans. But he has said many times that if we really knew him we would say, "This is it?" To us, he's an angel who has brought together people who would never have met under any other circumstances; he has changed our lives because we let him in. But the REAL MAN - the guy who scratches whatever itches and farts and belches - that's the average guy that Gerry wants to remain. And thank God he is trying to hold on to being a somewhat average guy. Who wants to idolize someone who walks around saying they're above average anyway? I'm glad that Gerry considers himself just a normal guy. THAT'S the man I want to admire and fall in love with.

Anyway, I've been married to a hard working guy, and he turned out to be so below average and I thank God I'm no longer with him. Someone average with a little something special looks pretty good to me.

Lisa, I can agree with you on that. Gerry wants to stay grounded and "normal". He is hard working and does all the same bodily functions like everyone else (no pedistal there for me to put him on, nor would he want to be there). He is comparing what he knows. LA and the entertainment world as well as Scotland. He definately wasn't comparing all men in America. We do have some of the best and like every other nation we have some of the worst. What makes him different is the depth of his spirit that he shows. Genuine concern for humanity. Not afraid to let his emotions show. The day he gets full of himself would be the day I track him down and smack him up along side the head and say,"Knock it off!" (I'm sure I have to wait in line cuz his Mum would be there too). He is a man that is hard to define because there are so many things that make him well above average and other things that make him human and wonderfully flawed.

I was about to post my reply to Lisa when I saw Celticgirl posted. I think Celticgirl said it so much better than I. I agree with both points of view. Lisa, I do agree with you - looking at it from Gerry's point of view. His humanness and humbleness are all part of the charm that draws us to him and the reason why we love him as we do.

I also agree with Celticgirl:

The day he gets full of himself would be the day I track him down and smack him up along side the head and say,"Knock it off!" (I'm sure I have to wait in line cuz his Mum would be there too). He is a man that is hard to define because there are so many things that make him well above average and other things that make him human and wonderfully flawed.

From our point of view - his female fans - we see him far above average than the "average" male in the twentyfirst century. His work ethic, his value system especially in the career he chose are above average nowadays. Even TPTB in the industry have commented on Gerry's ability to GO AFTER his dream in a way they have not seen another actor do before him.

His intelligence (Law degree) and wit and humour are qualities that make him stand out. Average men do not command the attention of both males and females upon entering a room. Average men do not draw legions of fans from around the world before he even became a household name. AVERAGE men do not take a role such as the Phantom with very little singing experience and come out with the performance he did.

We also realize he is not perfect. He has demons like most of us. Conquered a few, maybe has to work on a few others, but that is also why we love him and see him as above average. He's working on improving himself as a person.

I agree in that Gerry is an average man in his eyes....and we understand that part of him and wouldn't want him to change that or else I would be in line behind his Mum and Celticgirl to slap him upside the head....but I think we tend to think of him as far more than average or I don't think we would be here on this board.

I really feel like I am getting my thoughts down accurately. So how about we come up with a new term just for Gerry. He's so averagely NOT average!

OK, that was dumb - just ignore me!

:hugs: