Sign in to follow this  
Avivid Mind

Would You Marry For Money?

Would You Marry For Money  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Money But Not Love?

• Yes
    • No

I thought this would be a fun little poll. Everyone wants money and everyone wants to find love.

But would you marry for money and not love?

True Story:

When I was younger {which is not to say I am old} I was riding my bike down to my sisters. It's a Five mile ride from where I lived. I have always enjoyed biking. So I went all out with the whole biking outfit even added a light on the bike, mirrors, water carrier and turning signals for night time riding.

I had been riding down to my sisters and when I walked in my brother in law says to me. Wendy, I just got a strange phone call. {I won't say who it was} ....... called. He told me to go out side and check out the girl on the bike. She'd be passing by any minute. So my brother in law asked him what she looked like and he started laughing and said, " That's my sister in law." He was like, "Really?"

Yes, True Story! I had to laugh because my brother in law really wanted to fix me up with him. They were good friends and he says to me, "What do you think?" I said, "He's old enough to be my father."

{Seriously, that's what I said.} Now this guy was not bad to look at, has a ton of money and as I said was well almost old enough to be my father in my eyes. I was 18 at the time which made him in his 30's, late 30's. My brother in law says to me, "So you're not interested? He has money.

And I turned around and said, "What does money have to do with it?"

Now, this guy is still around. I've moved back and we even occasionally see each other when he's visiting my brother in law. I actually take my girls up to his place Halloweening. {Seriously} He loves kids and has a really great dog it's an English Sheep Dog {Damnedest colors I've ever seen though}

For me money had nothing to do with it. It was the major year grap. Which at that age {18} I thought meant nothing in common. I have to say I didn't even go out with him once. But it was rather flattering that he took an interest in me. Even if it was me in my biking outfit.

Which brings me to the poll. Would you marry for money?

I can honestly say I would still say No.

Go ahead and laugh , I still laugh about it!

I definately had my opinions even back then.

:)

I would definitely not marry for money. Many years ago I briefly dated a guy who, though not rich, had a job with a lot of perks. He got to travel quite a bit and take customers and their wives out to fancy places, and go to cool events, all on his company expense account. Unfortunately it took me only a short time to realize I was infatuated by his job and I really didn't like HIM much at all, so I broke it off. It was fun to get to do things with him, but just being with him as a person was pretty much a big bore and when I knew that if he changed jobs I would no longer be interested in him, I knew he wasn't the guy for me. So while I might date (briefly) for money, just to experience some of the fun stuff, I would never marry for it.

But for the age difference - I've twice dated a guy who was nearly 18 years my senior - once when I was 21 and again when I was 28. Neither of them had much money though, but I learned a lot from each of them. The first guy I was with for over a year and a half, and we still exchange Christmas cards - he's the only "ex" in my life with whom I've stayed in touch, and it is very hard for me to believe he will be 71 next month (I haven't actually seen him in over 20 years).

I agree. I have no experience with a relation where money would be the only (or a very dominant) issue. Well, now (if nothing changes for worse) I am financially quite independent (I cannot say I have tonnes of money, but I can afford what I really need), also I am too old for having children (and considering the fact that you will lose your income for some time). So, for me, definitely not. A different issue would be whether I would marry for love only if there were really no money (or almost no), because you need at least something to live on.

:wave::wave::wave:

NO WAY! Money doesn't replace love, ever, in my books.

Sally

I would have to say no! Seeing that I have never had money why would I want it. Money has never done anything for me except pay the bills lol!

No wayyyyy. How lonely and empty that would be. I'd love to have some money...don't get me wrong. Money isn't everything but it sure does make living easier. But trade money for love? I wouldn't be able to breathe.

~Wendy

If I would have married for money. I might have missed the Poverty, but I would have had to missed the dance with the most beautiful man in the world.

Love,

Tracy

Fook No.

To be honest, money would make me think twice about marrying someone, in the negative light. I just wanna be comfertable, when you have lots of money its too easy to become dependent on it, and with economies being as unpredictable (especially in this dang country) there is far to much to loose. if your use to not having much, its not as big a deal, but if youre use to bathing in it, it can be a problem.

(not much of a capitalist, eh? lol)

What would have been cool if my husband would have been rich. Or I could have been rich then we could have been rich and in love too. :funnyface:

You may have all the money in the world but if you're without love, you're still living a very poor life.

My answer is no.

If I would have married for money. I might have missed the Poverty, but I would have had to missed the dance with the most beautiful man in the world.

Love,

Tracy

Awesome song, Tracy! The Dance by Garth Brooks . . . my ex-husband wants that played at his funeral. I just felt you all needed to know that . . .

I have to be honest and say that I had to think about this. I have not enjoyed being poor, doing without, etc. I've made a lot of very rash and irresponsible decisions in my life that have affected my way of life. I know that money doesn't make you happy, but it sure makes life easier. And I'm tired of the struggle.

But when I honestly think about love and what that means, I would rather be poor and in love than rich in a cold relationship. I could live with a man I loved, adored and respected and felt the same way about me in a cardboard box on the corner. I hope I find that kind of love one day, cause I didn't have it with my marriage.

So, my answer is a no.

Yes, I would marry for money.

But only the third or fourth time around!! :lmao:

I'm still on number 1 right now, which was definitely for love, and I'm not planning on there being any more marriages, but I guess I have to say that there might come a time in my life when I'd consider it!

:lmao:

It's been quite funny at the film festival because I have seen alot of young woman and older/fatter/balding not very attractive men and you just know it has to be a money thing. I always joke when i got to vegas I'm looking for the 99 year old millionaire with a ticky dicker to keep me in the style I've become accustomed to but I guess that is because I have probably not experienced what it is like to be totally consumed by one man. I thought I was in love years ago but it was more lust. So no not for oney.

Moira

it is possible to see beyond the exterior you know. everyone is attracted to different things. for one, i like my guys to be a little bigger, makes them seem more cuddly. Hair isnt that big of a selling point, i dont think, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. it isnt fair to judge someones relationship on YOUR standards, because odds are they are not even in the same ball park.

Just my 2 cents.

Never, No way!

LV

it is possible to see beyond the exterior you know. everyone is attracted to different things. for one, i like my guys to be a little bigger, makes them seem more cuddly. Hair isnt that big of a selling point, i dont think, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. it isnt fair to judge someones relationship on YOUR standards, because odds are they are not even in the same ball park.

Just my 2 cents.

well lets see if i can make this make sense...... i married the love of my life.....for beter or worse, till death did us part he passed away and left me sitting financially sound, bless his heart.. so if and when it comes to marriage the second time...it would be different...i had the whole love thing,. and i know no one would ever love me the way my first hubby did..... now having said that... would i marry for money??? only if he's worth more than me.... and there would definately have to be a prenup..... he better have good hair too..!!!.

since i have had the whole love thing....id marry (if id ever marry again id be more likely to enter into a business contract of sorts, the tax world rakes married folks over the coals.....) it would be either for money and or looks., and he would have to be incredible with my kid....... is that shallow of me?? probably.....but i just dont believe that anyone else could love me as much as my first hubby did, ....plus id have no problem kicking the new guy right out the door....!!!!!

this is strictly my opinion..... i believe in the sanctity of marriage... in the eyes of religion..... but not in front of the govenment..... id be more likely to enter into a contract, and get myself someone not ordained and just have a party..... forget the government and their taxes....

I'd sure like to be the gal who God blesses with BOTH! I can see us now.....flying to Europe to spend a very romantic time exploring a new world together! Or at least looking out at one from a sumptuous suite balcony after spending hours making the most amazing, glorious, mind-blowing love! Yes.....what a blessing that would be! But if I can't have THAT dream, I will gladly settle for being crazy in-love with an amazing man who adores the floor I pad around on in my pink fuzzy slippers from Walmart!

I have to say , I know now that the age thing isn't that important. I've actually have met a few men who were older and we did have some things in common. Like the whole staying fit physically and mentally.

I've grown a bit over the years but still no if it was only for money.

I married my DH for love. We made one hell of a lot of money and lost it all for all the right reasons and we're more in love now than on the day we married. Would I marry for money? No, since I'll never marry again because:

1. I'll never get the chance to try and win Gerry...and

2. I would compare every man to my DH and I don't think they would make the grade.

Once you have Grey Goose, you never go back to Smirnoff... :pointy:

No, I would never marry just for money. Before I met my husband I had several men of means want to date me...but there was absolutely no attraction. They thought they could impress me with their material wealth and their "things". That never did impress me. I found them to be without substance. I could never imagine marrying someone who did not attract me or who I did not connect with.

I met my husband while in college and there was an instant spark. I could never marry a man I wasn't attracted too. A handsome face and sexual capability is important but there is so much more that must be added to the mix...intelligence, humour, integrity, respect, and honesty. I love a passionate man who can debate an issue with reasonable intelligence. I love a man who can appreciate the arts and who is himself artistic. I found all those qualities in my husband. I can say confidently that "I married my best friend". He supports me in every decision I make...he is my cheerleader....he finishes my sentences...he knows me sometimes better than I know myself. You know you are in a great relationship when your husband knows you adore Gerard Butler and buys all his movies for you. LOL! When I was ill last year, he sat by my bedside and held my hand as the nurses' poked and prodded me. He sat and slept by my bedside and would not leave until I told him to go home and get a proper sleep. He wants me to be the best I can be. Every since I started my business he has taken on the cooking, the cleaning, the shopping. I started my business and we have struggled...I don't have the material things others have...but I am richer because I have an extraordinary man by my side. We respect each other and give each other the freedom to be the people we are. That is priceless. I am an independent woman and would never depend upon a man for my financial security. I love my work and the fact that I am doing what my heart desires and I am making money doing it. I make more money than my husband...he thinks that is awesome. I married my "best friend" and my "soul mate". It is because of him that I am able to reach my goals. I recently had an article published in a trade magazine. One of many goals I will attain in my lifetime. It was easy to do because he supports me in all my quests. I am blessed to have him in my life. No amount of money can replace that.

I married for love and it has often been a struggle financially so I have decided that if there is a next time, I will hang around rich guys until I fall in love with one!

I'm proud to say that I wouldn't. I've just dumped my ex of three years about 3 weeks ago because he was useless as a partner. He is a lot older then me (closer in age to my parents) and extremely wealthy. We never discuss money but he easily has at a couple of million minimum. However I went with with my heart and ended things. Another thing I am also proud of is that I never asked him for money and whenever I could, I would always try to go halves on meals or pay what I could towards holidays (he had expensive taste!).

Dating a rich man is an eye opener because lots of 'friends' made a play for him or they would insist on going to expensive restaurants and expect him to pay for everyone. Some people think that if you are rich then you are fair game. After initially boasting about dating a rich guy, I learnt to keep my mouth shut.

One thing I am happy about is that we are still friends as deep down he is a nice guy. Oh and I still have the use of one of his apartments in London :)

Though I am worried that he has spoilt me a bit and that its going to take me a while to get used to dating 'normal' guys again. I am going to miss him making me meals (he decided to start to learn how to use a kitchen) and handing me a glass of vintage champagne while I hung around reading magazines.