Gerard Butler GALS

9/11 - Gerard Butler - Beat stress for good

becozy

from the October MH article...

be sure to pick up a copy on news-stands, mass merchandisers and book-sellers in the U.S...

BEAT STRESS FOR GOOD

Pressure comes in many forms - an apporoaching deadline, a crazy travel schedule, a job search in a tough economy. Taking big risks has taught Gerard Butler a few things about maintaining his calm. Borrow his 4-step plan.

STEP 1

LET GO OF WHAT YOU CAN'T CONTROL

"I have a very complex process for taking the pressure off myself. It starts with me saying, 'I can only do what I can do.'" It's not just a matter of recognizing your limitations, says Butler. It's recognizing that you can't affect every outcome, and letting go of those that are out of your control.

STEP 2

DON'T HOLD BACK WITH THE STUFF YOU CAN CONTROL

The trick isnt to avoid work, but to avoid stress, says Butler. "When I'm working, that's on my mind all the time, the faith that has been granted to me by people, the money that has been spent. It seems the best thing I can do to honor it is to work my butt off."

STEP 3

MAKE TIME FOR R&R - REST AND RECREATION

"I don't want to abuse my success, so I don't go out partying all the time. i try to get as much rest as I can" Nor does he sacrifice his workout. "When I'm working in a new place, I'm always thinking, Okay, where are the trails? Where can I go hiking and running?"

STEP 4

REMEMBER WHERE YOU STARTED

"I try to love where I am and what I'm doing. I see it as an honor to do what I do for a living." says Butler. It takes an incredible amount of work to achieve your goals: that should be a source of great pride during your most stressful times.

Wow! I can see the success Gerry has had with his spiritual quest. He doesn't sweat the small stuff and lets go of the uncontrollable. He seems at peace with himself. I'm going to share this advice with others I know that need it.

Thanks, Barb!

:wuv:

This is one of the best interviews yet. You can tell that his soul searching and spiritual journey is paying off. I'm so happy for him.

I've always found Gerry to be wise and it's due to his "advice" that I have tried to follow my dreams, refused to be miserable for the rest of my life and am trying to move ahead. I actually have a lot in common with him in his past and thoughts and the way we deal with life. So, now that Gerry has found a way to deal with stress in his hectic life (way more stressful and hectic than my life could ever be), I now have even more Gerry-isms to help guide me. I have a picture of Gerry and a quote of his (from a while ago) next to where I write so I can remember why I made the changes in my life that I did.

Okay, this all sounds a little gospel-ish, but I don't mean it that way. I simply mean that because I've been through a lot of similar things in my past that Gerry has and see how successful he is in his life, I believe that when he gives advice on how to live I can listen to that advice and it helps me.

Thank you for typing those up, by the way. Very much appreciated.

Lisa

I die of desire to read the interview but in Spain they don´t edit the same version of Men's Health (happened the same with the previous reportage). If a charitable soul will send to me the scans for PM...

P.S. I hope not to be committing an infraction asking for this favor.

If you will PM me your address I will send you a copy if I can get one. They are not out here yet. I'm checking every day.

Sandy

Great article!!! I have always managed not to hold onto things that I cannot control, I learned that the hard way. This is what makes Gerry such a great man, his soul is amazing! Cannot wait to read the whole article!

beautiful words!

I cant wait to read the entire article either, someone picked up a copy 4 me.

Im afraid of letting go of things I cant control, I might lose my zany personality and unusual perspective on things!

looool! joking :hehe:

thanks 4 posting :)

Thanks so much for that piece of "the" article. I rarely get out of my house due to anxieties and know that Gerry's 4 steps are indeed very wise.

I remember when he was on Jay Leno once and when Jay asked him what he was like as a kid, the first thing Gerry thought of to say was to tell him that he had many anxieties. Remember the story of when he was shopping for shoes or being sent to the store for a certain amount of parafin? It sounded so much like me as a child - I was petrified of any activity (outside my home) that involved my participation (school was hell!). Fortunately, Gerry chose a profession where he MUST face his anxieties every day and, unfortunately, I did not. Time to work a bit harder with those 4 steps!!! If Gerry can do it, I can do it!

GBYD (God bless your day)

Mo

Thanks so much for that piece of "the" article. I rarely get out of my house due to anxieties and know that Gerry's 4 steps are indeed very wise.

I remember when he was on Jay Leno once and when Jay asked him what he was like as a kid, the first thing Gerry thought of to say was to tell him that he had many anxieties. Remember the story of when he was shopping for shoes or being sent to the store for a certain amount of parafin? It sounded so much like me as a child - I was petrified of any activity (outside my home) that involved my participation (school was hell!). Fortunately, Gerry chose a profession where he MUST face his anxieties every day and, unfortunately, I did not. Time to work a bit harder with those 4 steps!!! If Gerry can do it, I can do it!

GBYD (God bless your day)

Mo

I completely understand. That is how I am now!!

I bought the magazine today at Barnes & Noble. What a guy our Gerry is. Reading those 4 items has made me want to read the entire article. As soon as I finish cleaning out my emails, I'm getting busy on that article.

Barbara

There are so many actors today that are one diminsional. They are all looks on the outside but have no depth, no special character. If they are attractive on the outside, and have no substance on the inside, then it kills their looks. Just another "pretty face". Then they can get up on the big screen and do what someone else tells them to do and that's about it.

This is why I love this man! He's multi layed, beautifully flawed and his soul runs deep. When I say "flawed", I mean it in a good way. He's had his vices, and probably still has some, but he doesn't claim to be perfect. No one is nor do they want that responsibility. When you admire and love someone, you love them, flaws and all because that's what makes them who they are, you accept them as they are completely.

I admire anyone who can see for themselves that something they are doing is wrong or bad for them and just stop it, no help from anyone, like he did with his drinking and I had heard that he quit smoking as well. I also love the way he recognizes that the demands on his life right now are not condusive to maintaining a committed relationship romanitcally. So many of those relationships in Hollywood come and go. I can see Gerry being the kind of guy that when he makes up his mind to settle down, he will be very selective and it will be a final one and done with much thought and when the time is the right time. That will be one lucky lady!

The roles he's played tells us exactly all about who Gerry Butler is really. He hasn't been type casted yet and hopefully won't ever be. I had heard that Andrew Lloyd Webber was writing a sequel to Phantom and was considering our boy to play the Phantom again. Hopefully, if he gets it to the stage, then on to the screen again, Gerry will be the one to do it. I don't think anyone else could play that role. That's the character whom I most identify him with. He's imposing, powerful, and dangerous but is also sensitive, sensual and passionate and don't forget extremely talented and wants only to be loved, after all. But just like the rest of us, he has his imperfections and his fears and he hides them behind a mask, his joking around and his candid, shoot from the hip, attitude. All of that, and then that wonderful outer package ain't too shabby either. That is indeed, in my mind, my idea of the perfect man!

Thanks, GALS, for letting me ramble on!

D

There are so many actors today that are one diminsional. They are all looks on the outside but have no depth, no special character. If they are attractive on the outside, and have no substance on the inside, then it kills their looks. Just another "pretty face". Then they can get up on the big screen and do what someone else tells them to do and that's about it.

This is why I love this man! He's multi layed, beautifully flawed and his soul runs deep. When I say "flawed", I mean it in a good way. He's had his vices, and probably still has some, but he doesn't claim to be perfect. No one is nor do they want that responsibility. When you admire and love someone, you love them, flaws and all because that's what makes them who they are, you accept them as they are completely.

I admire anyone who can see for themselves that something they are doing is wrong or bad for them and just stop it, no help from anyone, like he did with his drinking and I had heard that he quit smoking as well. I also love the way he recognizes that the demands on his life right now are not condusive to maintaining a committed relationship romanitcally. So many of those relationships in Hollywood come and go. I can see Gerry being the kind of guy that when he makes up his mind to settle down, he will be very selective and it will be a final one and done with much thought and when the time is the right time. That will be one lucky lady!

The roles he's played tells us exactly all about who Gerry Butler is really. He hasn't been type casted yet and hopefully won't ever be. I had heard that Andrew Lloyd Webber was writing a sequel to Phantom and was considering our boy to play the Phantom again. Hopefully, if he gets it to the stage, then on to the screen again, Gerry will be the one to do it. I don't think anyone else could play that role. That's the character whom I most identify him with. He's imposing, powerful, and dangerous but is also sensitive, sensual and passionate and don't forget extremely talented and wants only to be loved, after all. But just like the rest of us, he has his imperfections and his fears and he hides them behind a mask, his joking around and his candid, shoot from the hip, attitude. All of that, and then that wonderful outer package ain't too shabby either. That is indeed, in my mind, my idea of the perfect man!

Thanks, GALS, for letting me ramble on!

D

Not a bad ramble, sums up exactly my take on Gerry too and it is why I love him so. He speaks to my heart, my body and my soul. And he loves hiking one of my favourite things to do. Woohoo!!