Gerard Butler GALS

The Cherry Orchard

Yes!

There is a notation on his imd.b resume as well.

I would think they would put out a new edition, with his name at least listed correctly on the cover. :confused:

He sure did look yummy though with that full beard.

In some of his biographies it says he is listed as Gerard and Gerald Butler. I don't know if that was something he was playing around with in the beginning or not, but that is the only one I have seen him listed as Gerald. There may be one other early movie. I don't think it was a mistake. I think he chose that name for that film. It would be interesting to find out if it was a misprint or if he really used that name. I don't know why the biography would list it as a legitimate name tho.

Yes, it's always irked me that he was listed as GERALD instead of Gerard in Cherry Orchard. It just doesn't seem that difficult to spell someone's name correctly. But maybe you're right. Maybe at the time he was thinking of using that as his stage name. :confused:

I'm going to move this thread into the Movie forum rather than here in the Online Movie Chat forum.

:thankyou::wave:

In this case, I think it was a mistake, but not of IMDb, but that of the producer of DVD; unlike other films, IMDb explicitly states "as Gerald Butler" - I understood this as their implication that something was wrong with his name in this particular case. I have not seen the "real product" I do not have this DVD, and, unless there is a very favourable offer, I even do not want to get it - Chekhov, and especially this particular play, is so notoriously known here, the role of Yasha is relatively small, and I believe the relevant scenes are on YouTube anyway (so I have seen them, of course) ... :wave::wave::wave:

Edited by Donnie

I know there are some folks that have loved this movie. I'm not one of them. :lol: For me, it's painfully slow and depressing. Other than Yasha, there wasn't one character that I ended up caring what happened to them.

But you're right, Donnie. His name being spelled differently is in the movie itself so it isn't an error on IMDB's part.

If you've caught Gerry as Yasha on YouTube, you've seen the best parts of the movie, in my humble opinion. :D

:duck:

• 2 weeks later...

I know there are some folks that have loved this movie. I'm not one of them. :lol: For me, it's painfully slow and depressing. Other than Yasha, there wasn't one character that I ended up caring what happened to them.

But you're right, Donnie. His name being spelled differently is in the movie itself so it isn't an error on IMDB's part.

If you've caught Gerry as Yasha on YouTube, you've seen the best parts of the movie, in my humble opinion. :D

:duck:

I meant to ask what part did you find depressing?

Im curious because I was laughing through most of it, the characters seemed too comical and quirky, it was like

watching a British Family and not a Russian one. I mean the feel of the characters or their demeanor wasnt genuinely Russian

maybe it's me but they seemed way too perky to be playing Russians in the 1900's. Perhaps because most of the actors were British? They didnt even use a Russian accent but I like the movie and I think i saw this many years ago when they aired it on PBS in the States but it's like a vague memory.

I loved Gerry in it though and his laughing throughout made me smile and laugh too :)

The only thing I found sad was the ending when they cut down the trees and Yasha forgot the poor old dude and

he just closed his eyes and died.

Edited by Guest