Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
SouthernGirl28

My review

It took me awhile to buy this movie because I was afraid I wouldn't like it. A few weeks ago I gave in to reservation and bought it.

Well I didn't know what I was missing! The long hair! The fire scenes! The waterfall scenes! In some scenes it seemed the background made Gerry's eyes stand out even more!

Glad I own B&G!

April

I know, loved it too except for the Selma witchy woman LOL!

did you check the extras the interview on the bus is amazing he seems so passionate when he's talking

I think Gerry was at his best in this movie after Selma told him why should Grendel want to fight him since Beowulf has done nothing to wrong him. The look in Gerry’s look, that intoxicating sadness, I loved that.

I've just discovered the joys and convenience of digital films downloaded directly to your computer.

Does anybody have a source for B&G, a source to buy - not rent - for digital download? My one source doesn't have it available although they have many other Gerry films.

Thanks!

Jane

I've just discovered the joys and convenience of digital films downloaded directly to your computer.

Does anybody have a source for B&G, a source to buy - not rent - for digital download? My one source doesn't have it available although they have many other Gerry films.

Thanks!

Jane

Jane,

have you tried iTunes?

I downloaded Timeline through iTunes but broke my harddrive, so it's gone.

I ordered it from Amazon because I have to have his movies at all times. :bonk:

Thanks! At first I couldn't see the point because I do, of course, buy all his films. But I got a freebie with 300 and with RNR and I discovered the ease of traveling with his films now. Eight of them on a tiny little flash drive! (If I wasn't so cheap I would have a larger flash drive but the 8G were on sale. LOL) No more worrying about DVD cases or lugging them around.

It's this unnatural fear of being without a Gerryfilm for more than 24-hours. :D

Jane

I just got my copy of B & G. I have seen the "animated" version of Beowulf. I'm looking forward to it!

D

Delene,

I'm sure you will love it. It is so different. I needed a little time to get used to it, but after that I loved it. It is magical.

I loved it even more after a couple of views.

April, I'm so glad you loved it!! I know, Beo is HOT!

Delene, I hope you like it, too.

Yes, "Selma" takes me out of the setting everytime she speaks. And why can't she use a hairbrush? It appears that she at one time used one (the "flashback" scene of which I won't give away).

When Beowulf asks Hrothgar what the troll had done, and Hrothgar answers him (again I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet and may be reading this), the expression that comes across Beo's face just tells it all and so much! (It's ALMOST as good as The Stranger's face when Lizzie tells him about Frankie's deafness.)

The interview with Gerry is terrific!! (c**k rocks anyone?) If you get Wrath of Gods the DVD, you'll get the entire interview!

Well, finally watched Beo. Gerry was excellent as usual.

The thing I had trouble with was the dialect, the use of modern day slang such as the F word, P word, D word, well you get the picture. I wouldn't think they used those terms back in that day. The Selma character seemed out of place. Her dialect was too modern. She even said "teens" and I don't think that term would have existed even in a translation from Danish to English. Teens being short for teenaged considering their numerology would have been different in the sixth century. Like they would have still be in to "fort night" or "many moons" or counting stones or something and all that.

I loved the little Icelandic Ponies!

It wasn't one of my favorite Gerry movies, was a little too gorey for my taste. I liked Attila much better in that genre. Gerry looked more "meaty" in this one but he looked good and the scenery was spectacular.

I give it three thumbs up, two for Gerry and one for the ponies. :funnyup:

D

Well, finally watched Beo. Gerry was excellent as usual.

The thing I had trouble with was the dialect, the use of modern day slang such as the F word, P word, D word, well you get the picture. I wouldn't think they used those terms back in that day. The Selma character seemed out of place. Her dialect was too modern. She even said "teens" and I don't think that term would have existed even in a translation from Danish to English. Teens being short for teenaged considering their numerology would have been different in the sixth century. Like they would have still be in to "fort night" or "many moons" or counting stones or something and all that.

I loved the little Icelandic Ponies!

It wasn't one of my favorite Gerry movies, was a little too gorey for my taste. I liked Attila much better in that genre. Gerry looked more "meaty" in this one but he looked good and the scenery was spectacular.

I give it three thumbs up, two for Gerry and one for the ponies. :funnyup:

D

It was a little weird for me to listen to the F and other words, but after a couple of more viewings, I did not even notice them.

I think that the director and the writer wanted to inject some modernism into this picture. I think there is some reference to it in Wrath of Gods, but not completely sure.

Maybe that's why Selma did not use an accent.

Maybe if you watch if again it will be a little different. That's what happened to me. I got sucked into this and even cry when I watch it.

I so seldom watch a movie more than once but I have my favs like POTO that I've seen about four times now. I've seen Tomb Raider about three times and Dear Frankie twice. All the others only once so far. Am I not living up to the code of Gerrydom? I still love him but I want to see him in some new movies. I still have a few things of his I haven't seen yet but I'll get to them eventually.

D

Edited by GBPhanatic

I have really been dying to see this and Atilla. Gerry has such screen presence and such power in his performances.

...and then he's goofy during an interview and I think "he's just a big puppy!" But, when's he's working his craft as a mighty warrior, he is a supremely imposing figure.

Gotta live Gerry. He's a kaliedoscope. So many colors. So many facets.

Watched Beowulf & Grendel last night. I wasn't sure how they could turn a poem into a movie with dialogue, but it made the story more understandable. Remember studying it in 8th grade and pretty much sleeping in class, so I didn't really try back then to understand it. I went to private catholic school, so I'm sure the Gerry version would not be allowed (language, violence, sex). I'm sure I would have paid way more attention to it (hey I was a hormonal teenager at the time). The scene where Grendel as a child hacks off his dead dad's head is stomach churning, and when the orange-haired guy and some other guys went into the barn like building to find all the dead hacked up bodies, EWWW! Grendel cutting off his own arm... EWWW. Once Beowulf comes out of the water, I just focus on what he says. LOVE his hair! When Beowulf goes to Selma and she tells him in her own way about Grendel taking her from behind (another big EWWW moment) and then she slaps Beowulf when he moves in to kiss her. I just go Ahhh when she is riding him for far too brief a time. Overall, I liked the movie. Now I just need to buy WRATH OF GODS.

I didn't like it at all. After watching "Wrath of Gods", I had higher expectations of the film. The script was bad, the acting was bad, and it looked like a low budget film. Modern slang was a joke. After all they went through, IMO they should have quit when the first set of mishaps/setbacks happened. Would have saved them a ton "O" cash and headaches.

Edited by Jennifer10