Sign in to follow this  
Perrin

10/8 - Jamie Foxx set for 'Citizen'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...1d067628bded3be

Jamie Foxx set for 'Citizen'

Oscar winner to star opposite Gerard Butler in thriller

By Borys Kit and Gregg Goldstein

Oct 9, 2008, 01:00 AM ET

Jamie Foxx is in final negotiations to star opposite Gerard Butler in "Law Abiding Citizen," a psychological thriller that Frank Darabont is directing for the Film Department.

Written by Kurt Wimmer and Darabont, the script follows a successful assistant D.A. (Butler) who finds himself at the center of a vigilante plot hatched by a traumatized victim of the legal system (Foxx). Foxx's character is devastated to learn that, because of a plea bargain, one of his wife and daughter's murderers will be set free. So he unleashes revenge on the killers and those who made the deal.

Butler and his Evil Twin shingle partner Alan Siegel are producing along with Warp Films' Lucas Foster. Film Department's Mark Gill also is producing.

Executive producing are Film Department's Robert Katz and Neil Sacker.

Foxx, repped by CAA and King Management, next stars opposite Robert Downey Jr. in "The Soloist," directed by Joe Wright ("Atonement").

It looks like the script may have changed a bit according to this article. It sounds like more of a vigilante plot with Jamie.

In an older article from May by Elizabeth Rappe, stated that :

The plot has been changed quite drastically since it was first tossed around. Originally, Butler was an assistant D.A. who finds himself at the center of a traumatized victim's vigilante plot. Now, it has been revamped into the story of a criminal mastermind who controls a city from the confines of his prison cell. (Which explains why Darabont was drawn to it, and why he's a good pick. Prison dramas are a good specialty for him.) Butler is the assistant D.A. who stands in the mastermind's way.

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/05/16/fran...biding-citizen/

And the revamped plot is still listed on the LAC MySpace webpage:

A psychopathic mastermind, captured for the murder of his wife's killers, threatens to unleash a gruesome killing spree across the city of Chicago unless he is released. The prosecuting attorney is usually a deal maker but this time stands his ground and refuses. As if on cue, innocent people start dying in horrifying ways - just as the prisoner warned. The city falls into chaos, with everyone calling for the attorney's head. Desperate, he comes to the realization that his decisions might be what created this horrifying vigilante, and he is the only one that can stop him.

http://www.myspace.com/lawabidingcitizen

Either they have changed the plot back again, or this new article is using old information and isn't reflecting the revisions made by Darabont.

Also don't know if Jamie is replacing Catherine Zeta Jones or if she is still possibly on board. I don't think it was ever stated what part she was possibly considering, or if her involvement was ever more than a rumor.

I'm so confuzzled.....

Edited by Dallas

Guest Nay

Good choice! I like Foxx as an actor.

But I still think the better choice is to flip the roles and let GB be the avenging vigilante.

Nay

I've said the same recently that he would have more fun as the Avenging Vigilante and I think he would make a great bastardo. A baddie we cant help but love to hate.

Moira

Jamie Foxx EXCELLENT!

I was thinking the same thing, Gerry as a really bad guy. A really hot bad guy. A guy...... sorry I think I am going to take myself to the gutter, saw some gorgeous pics of our guy this morning and I am a gonner.

GB keeps building a more and more solid foundation for his career. I think it directly links back to his intelligence and street-smarts in how he is proceeding with choices in acting and producing.

:hmm:

Great news on Jamie Foxx - Mr. Foxx' career needs a boost after a few roles that weren't tapping into his acting talent.

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

Sounds like a winner to me!!! I love Jamie Foxx!

Great news! I'm thrilled that Gerry continues to get great co-stars, but the poor guy will again be subjected to "Academy Award Winner Jamie Foxx". Who knows, maybe this will be the picture that will get Gerry his official kudos.

This is going to be an amazing movie! Cannot wait!

Brumie

I too really like Jamie Foxx and I think Gerry and he will really tear the screen up....I'm getting really excited for Gerry and this movie......

I hope that Gerard plays the better part, whichever part that is- he deserves the top role- I think he was seriously snubbed for 300, along with Zack Snyder- that movie was one of a kind.

I am personally NOT a Jamie Foxx fan- I used to, but I think he's become very conceited, and that it comes through in his roles. I hope that if he is chosen, he doesn't wind up stealing the spotlight from Gerard.

Another Oscar Winner for Gerry to play with ha ha LOL.

Moira

LOL, that's exactly what I was thinking. Gerry will be like, Oh great! Oscar Winner Jamie Foxx annndddd Gerry Butler!

LAC is shaping up to be a real winner. Jamie Foxx opposite HRH - definitely the stuff a movie lover's dreams are made of.

I can't wait!

I still think the movie is a bit formalic but oh well. I like Jamie Foxx but more in a comedic setting than drama. A bit too overdramatic when he does drama, but I loved "Ray". Hey, it's my opinion. I guess it's cool but I'll just wait and see. As long as we get to see Gerry in more movies that's all that matters.

Cassie

In an older article from May by Elizabeth Rappe, stated that :

The plot has been changed quite drastically since it was first tossed around. Originally, Butler was an assistant D.A. who finds himself at the center of a traumatized victim's vigilante plot. Now, it has been revamped into the story of a criminal mastermind who controls a city from the confines of his prison cell. (Which explains why Darabont was drawn to it, and why he's a good pick. Prison dramas are a good specialty for him.) Butler is the assistant D.A. who stands in the mastermind's way.

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/05/16/fran...biding-citizen/

Here's Elisabeth's latest from cinematical (I hope everyone gives this a click because it makes Rappe look good to the bosses when one of her posts gets a lot of action. It also gives her good leverage to argue for coverage of all things Butler. I'd like to think we could reward her for her efforts in championing HRH!)

10/09/08 Rappe LAC Article

Don't worry, no one is going to be able to upstage Gerry. That just isn't possible. With as many actors as he has played alongside, he has never been upstaged in my book. He takes the lead no matter what his character. And, just think, this is his first production project. He's going to be really busy. If he gets upstaged, it will be his own doing. God I love this man ABSOLUTELY! Does anyone know of ANY wrong he could do with his sweet spirit? AS far as I can tell, his actions are always sweet spirited driven. He is WONDERFUL.