Gerard Butler GALS

10/19 - LAC Role Reversal

heISmyGspot

I don't put a lot of stock in directors. Even if I see one I recognize as a biggy, that doesn't mean the picture will be good. I've gone to movies that had a big name director and it sucked! There's a lot of different elements that make up a movie, such as storyline, plot, characters and the actors of course. Hollywood is a very "political" place, if one hadn't noticed! It's always been that way. Sometimes the powers that be there dictate to us what WE, the viewing public, are going to like. But at the end of the day, it's the earnings at the box office that make the difference, not critics, not Hollywood's taget demographic, but the viewing public, the fans. Gerry did a very smart thing by starting his own production company. Some of that training in law may not be all for naught.

D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan Siegel, Co-Producer/Evil Twins Productions, has confirmed the Variety article in which the Law Abiding Citizen roles for Gerry and Jamie have changed. Gerry will now be playing the man who kills his family's killer and Jamie Foxx will be the DA.

Alan also confirms F. Gary Gray has signed on as director.

Dr. Em

by way of the ModSquad :kisswink:

This will be such a career shift for him. I'm so excited :]

I didnt think it meant he was second to Jamie at all - in fact I think before this change - if there was 'second to anyone' at all, that would have been the time.

Just cause the vigilante is in jail doesnt mean we arent going to see alot of him.

Remember supposedly hes controlling the city from within his jail cell.

Not sure how this works when hes in jail for killing those who murdered his wife (or family).

Are they trying to get us to sympathise with his character... or not? Because if hes some criminal mastermind running terror on the city from within his cell - then hes a bad guy.

If he was a normal joe (or say not normal joe, but part of a mob ring) who turned vigilante cause of his wifes death, then we sympathise with him. Makes me think of Boondock in a way.

Theres one thing though, Ive noticed theres always power in a name. Ive seen (and heard, in regards to music) good stuff come out, but it just doesnt do well at all because of the title. And those who have a good name, garner more attention... regardless of quality. IMO only, LAC sounds like another joe blow title... its not got that... feel to it. So I personally, cant help but hope that we havent seen the last of the changes. LOL Ive personally seen way too many people refuse to even find out what something is, once they hear the title. The title is like a first impression. Its just the way peeps be, regardless of agreeing or disagreeing with them for how they look at it - they still impact the box office.

I think it means Gerry's character has some major power and control over people outside the city.

Is there any news on what the 'vigilante' did for a living before he was put in jail?

I dont know but I went to the MS page to see if the synopsis is any different.

A psychopathic mastermind (Butler), captured for the murder of his wife's killers, threatens to unleash a gruesome killing spree across the city of Chicago unless he is released. The prosecuting attorney (Foxx) is usually a deal maker but this time stands his ground and refuses. As if on cue, innocent people start dying in horrifying ways - just as the prisoner warned. The city falls into chaos, with everyone calling for the attorney's head. Desperate, he comes to the realization that his decisions might be what created this horrifying vigilante, and he is the only one that can stop him.

So looks like 'criminal mastermind' is what they are going for - not sure why they are throwing in the wife thing. Thats usually thrown in so we feel something; we as the audience can choose who we are 'rooting' for, so to speak. If hes altogether a bad guy... wont we be rooting for his demise?

You have a psycopathic killer who went nuts because of his wifes murder - it just doesnt flow.

Usually when they kill for revenge, its vigilante like The Punisher, and A Man Apart, etc. They are still good guys, just taking law into their own hands... so we can root for them...

but this character is altogether evil... what, are they trying to make us believe something horrific in his past has led to another version of Hannibal Lecter? (minus the cannibalism... or maybe not - it does say gruesome).

Edited by aqcheryl

I have to say I was kinda looking forward to seeing Gerry play an ADA to see the lawyer side of him, but I always felt the vigilante role was the winner role. It has more potential to be a bigger part, the lead part. I'm glad Gerry got Jamie. He obviously wanted him for some role or he wouldn't have been being considered. I'm sure Gerry was in total agreement of the role switches or they would not have occurred. You must remember this is not only a very talented man we are discussing but also a brilliant man, capable of brilliant decissions. I, personally, cannot wait for this film. I'm looking for a best actor award and a best producer award for this one. Gerry will be pulling double duty on this one and I'm praying for double award and mucho recognition for his mutlple talents. This is his debut as more than just an actor, but as a producer and businessman. He is great in all aspects and I look forward to Hollywood and the world recognizing this great intelligence, as well as talent. NOt only do I love him absolutely, but I trust his decission making absolutely. He is brilliant so everything he touches is going to work out beautifully. Go Gerry. Enjou every moment of your adventure!

Seeing Gerry flex his lawyer muscle in those nice suits would have been lovely, but I think this is such a different role from King Leo, Atilla, The Stranger, and some that critics are used to that it'll be such a great move for him.

I don't care if he is playing a psychopathic killer, a vigilante, or an ADA.

I'm excited for Gerry and this movie.

Nobody really knows exactly in what way the script has changed from its original incarnation to Frank coming on board and Frank leaving - we first had "traumatised victim of the legal system seeks revenge", then it was the "criminal mastermind jailed for the murder of his wife's killer who plans to reak havoc if he is not released", then when Jamie was announced he was a "vigilante out to seek revenge for his wife and kid's murder", at that stage Frank left for whatever reasons and now roles have been reversed and Jamie is the ADA and Gerry is the man who kill's his family's killer.

Now The Film Department's website and its various MySpace pages has instead of Criminal Mastermind "A psychopathic mastermind", captured for the murder of his wife's killers, threatens to unleash a gruesome killing spree across the city of Chicago unless he is released. The prosecuting attorney is usually a deal maker but this time stands his ground and refuses. As if on cue, innocent people start dying in horrifying ways - just as the prisoner warned. The city falls into chaos, with everyone calling for the attorney's head. Desperate, he comes to the realization that his decisions might be what created this horrifying vigilante, and he is the only one that can stop him".

They are changing little bits all the time and I'm not too sure when it changed from Criminal Mastermind to Psychopathic Mastermind. I do prefer the latter simply because if he was a criminal mastermind he may not be a likeable character whereas he probably turned psychopath after his family were killed so therin lies the sympathy and heart of the film and why we will probably be rooting for his character. I also have a feeling the ADA may not have a conscience and is only out to win regardless of the cost, will grow human as the film develops, at its climax he will find himself in a dissused basement with the Gerry the vigilante and one of his future victim's, he kills Gerry then realises Gerry was a plastic surgeon who gave the victim his own face and he has actually killed the victim then Gerry reveals his true self and kills the ADA then goes onto reak havoc in LAC Parts 2-5. Gerry leaves the franchise after Part 3 to be replaced by Zac Efron in Law Abiding Citizen 4 - Silently Saw Your Face Off . :funnyup:

Moira

Moira

OMG Moira that's hysterical.

God I just hope they start filming soon! I wonder if CZJ will still play the wife, but now of the vigilante and they'll have to do flashbacks. Will they show her murder, etc. There's so much they can do with it now.

I'm 100% confident in Gerry's ability to get the roles he wants and the storyline to go the way he knows will be best. Look how he changed One Two to fit him.

For as much as we say he's a dork, silly, a flirt, etc. (all the little things we adore about him), Gerry is a very astute businessman, intelligent and educated man. I completely trust his judgment. If this was something he didn't want to do, he wouldn't be doing it.

Believe in him and trust him . . . that's all we can do, really.

:hugs:

Lisa

Dear Gods of Moviedom....PLEASE don't kill Gerry's character off at the end!!!! I hate seeing our boy on a slab! **snif**

Suzie

Suzie that is exactly what I thought when I heard. Now he's going to die at the end!!! Just watched Cradle of life last night and wanted to jump through the screen to choke Jolie. I knew I never liked her!!! I felt as a DA the vigilante could harass his family nap a kid and wife or something.

ROFL Moira that was brilliant :crack:

Theres no question we support him, I was referencing the general public and their outlook. :escape: I look at anything he does with the same I look at anything anyone else does - how can it be better. Its just how I look at things in everything - got a logical mind so I end up over analyzing :poof:

ROFL But trust me, I support him

Yes! Don’t get me wrong, Gerry is a cute good guy, but I love it when he plays the tortured person with a dark side to him who has a lot of pent up frustration and anger inside his heart and his soul. Even though it would be interesting to see Gerry play a lawyer (which would probably make him remember how he got fired before he became a lawyer in real life, lol), I might prefer Gerry in this other role. The dark, torn-up soul, give us that intensity that we love so much, Gerry.

P.S. Now I know what it is about Phantom of the Opera that I love so much, lol.

I do prefer the latter simply because if he was a criminal mastermind he may not be a likeable character whereas he probably turned psychopath after his family were killed so therin lies the sympathy and heart of the film and why we will probably be rooting for his character. I also have a feeling the ADA may not have a conscience and is only out to win regardless of the cost, will grow human as the film develops, at its climax he will find himself in a dissused basement with the Gerry the vigilante and one of his future victim's, he kills Gerry then realises Gerry was a plastic surgeon who gave the victim his own face and he has actually killed the victim then Gerry reveals his true self and kills the ADA then goes onto reak havoc in LAC Parts 2-5. Gerry leaves the franchise after Part 3 to be replaced by Zac Efron in Law Abiding Citizen 4 - Saw Your Face Off . :funnyup:

Moira

DON'T ENCOURAGE THEM!

Hollywood has already read this and now has a committee of writers locked in an office fleshing out a "treatment" and it's ALL YOUR FAULT! LOL

Jane

So let me get this straight....you all are happy that Gerry gets second billing to JF and probably through most of the movie sits in a cell in whatever the prison grays or greens or whatever they dress their prisoners in and most likely getting killed in the end as usual...instead of him playing the lead role as the big shot ADA and showing his brilliancy that way!!! :tantrum: I don't get it!! I am prolly all by myself on this but I think it's not his choice and Jamie Foxx is pulling the strings on this one! Hence the walk out from the other guy! This is a very sad day indeed ....for me that is! Just my opinion as usual ....I really hope in the end I am soooooo wrong and I have to eat my words but I just have a bad feeling this was a bad idea! Okay go ahead and start throwing!!!!

:lalala:;)

Frannie

Dear Frannie your points are always well taken and I have to agree in part, at least. My excitement with the role change was because I really do think the criminal role has more potential for a nuanced, complex performance, however................I do not want Gerry in any way to play second fiddle to Jamie Foxx, who I agree is a competent actor, but no better than Gerry. If JF gets top billing and all the press because HE is the Oscar winner, then I will be one pissed off fan, you betcha. My fingers are crossed that the role reversal was Gerry's choice and done because it really is the "starring" role.

Yeah....me too Xan! I guess what will be will be... I really hope with all my heart that this thing doesn't turn out like Shattered, there was a lot of hype about that too and look what happened! Same thing with RNR...If you don't live in or near a big city you're out of luck if you want to see this movie because of it's limited release and as much as I love doggies and cute movies it's beyond me as to why a talking doggie movie makes it to all the theaters but RNR doesn't...I guess I'm from the old school and in my day the hero of the movie was the star or the star of the movie was always the hero! I'm too old fashioned I guess to get excited about watching what used to be my hero play a vile and evil cold killer! I WISH I could join in the enthusiasm about this I really do cause I hate being negative...so I have no choice but to wait and see and as many of you have said and I of course agree Gerry is a smart cookie and knows what he is doing!

:wave: Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

Sounds so intriguing.....gerry would have shined in either role, but I am kind of glad to see him dabble in his "dark side".....that's one bit of him we haven't really seen, yet, except for Dracula, but he is a fictional character...this role is raw humanity......

Isn't this what most actors dream of? Taking a role that most can't see them in or maybe not want to see them in because it is too far from the ideal character? Gerry is one of those guys who seems to want to take on roles that are outside the box of what most expect. He is going to pull out facets of this character just as he has with his other tortured or bad boy characters that will keep us talking for months. That is his talent, that is why we are here, that is why we trust that he knows exactly what he is doing. This is all a part of the Gerry plan, taking on the roles that speak to him and maybe just maybe get a message out there and make people think .