Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Catwoman

Just saw RNR

Here's a serendipity moment - I invited my coworkers to "Rocknrolla girls" night out after work some night this week to see the movie and we decided to go Wednesday. One of them said that there is a benefit for our local "OC Roller Girls" (roller derby team - of which she is either a member or soon to become a member) at a diner near the theater that same night. So the "Rocknrolla girls" from my office are going to dine to benefit the rockin' OC Roller Girls before we go to the movie. I think I'll ask my co-worker to invite her team members to join us for the film! Wouldn't that would be a hoot!!

Oh, and I saw it for the 6th time yesterday morning. I was so bummed not to get to see it with the crowd in town for Phantom this weekend, but it was sold out for both the 5:15 and 8:00 showings on Saturday. So I saw it almost by myself in a theater with only about 6 other people. But I still love it more each time!!

Saw it and loved Gerry in it, wouldn't have gone though if he wasn't in it. I was pleasantly surprised, it wasn't as violent as I expected and the scenes where Gerry dances :drool1:

Fab soundtrack, a must.

Finally for me! woohoo!

Great caper movie, the dark humour added to it the chase scene AWESOME! and the music was fantastic too!

How could you not love Gerry's character in this one :yourock:

First viewing was in London, second in the States. Now I watch snippits here and there on DVD. At this juncture I value the originality of Guy Ritchie in his writing and directing. It is really a smooth movie. Diversivied, many characters, many locations even though it is an old story line it just ozzed financial London and a fairly contemporary looking citizenary "The Wild Bunch". Gerry of course just shines everytime he is in a frame. Must admit I still find his accent getting in the way in some scenes but in other scenes to hear him say calculator and robbery makes up for everything. For a change RnR was not just a Gerry fest, the entire movie was really good and kept my interest. I hope Guy and his creative skills have more good projects for Gerry. Soon we will find out if Gerry and his production company will come through with interesting films, LAC for starters.

I missed this in the cinema, I think it was shown only for a week here. In my first DVD viewing I was not exactly enthusiastic, but thought though that Gerard gave an excellent performance of the character: a likable, friendly type, not really smart plus rather incompetent in his doings. I was surprised that Gerard´s role was not bigger. By second viewing I got a little bit more out of the movie, but to be really blunt, still felt that he wasted both his time and talent in doing this movie. In my opinion a holiday would have been a better idea, LOL. And the movie has not exactly been a box-office success, has it?

No, it was definitely not a box office success, but then neither was Dear Frankie and it is a masterpiece of a film IMHO, so I don't judge a film's quality by its box-office returns.

I still find RNR to be a very, very funny movie that continues to make me laugh, even just when I think about it. It entertained me thoroughly and that's what I expect from a film. And it was not just all about Gerry, though he was the reason I saw it in the first place. I love Mark Strong (Archie), and Idris Elba (Mumbles) and Tom Hardy (Handsome Bob) and Toby is brlliant as Johnnie Quid. Last week I saw Duplicity which has Tom Wilkinson in it and I kept seeing him as "Lenny".

We don't all find the same things entertaining, and that's quite all right, but if Gerry had fun making this film (which he says he did) and some people have found it highly entertaining, then I don't see it as a waste of his time. One never knows what a role may lead to in the future - Gerry has said that many times it has been his work in Dear Frankie that the industry sees as proving his acting chops - yet on the surface it would seem that almost nobody ever saw that film. Gerry finally got to be really funny and goofy (and like himself) in RnR so that could lead to some great comedy in his future.

As for his accent - I was THRILLED to hear him in full Scottish brogue once again! All the characters in this film had accents to the American ears, and his was by far the most pleasing to mine!

Gerry doesn't take roles because he thinks they will be box office hits. Even though RNR was not the kind of movie I would normally go see, I did find it entertaining and I loved the music and the accents, even when I had trouble understanding some of the cockney.

D

No, it was definitely not a box office success, but then neither was Dear Frankie and it is a masterpiece of a film IMHO, so I don't judge a film's quality by its box-office returns.

Yes, Dear Frankie was not a box office success, but that happened because of the circumstances in that time, I have understood and not because the movie did not please the audiences. GB appears in very different roles, and that is great. And I agree that he definetely has talent for comedy as already seen from TUT trailers, LOL. I´m really looking forward to that movie!!!

Edited by Skatingfan03

The film did very well in UK, maybe not so much overseas. It definitely did something right since it won Best British Film at the Empire Film Awards. Did it not also win Best Film in The Sun Newspaper Awards poll and these 2 publications are huge within the UK so the British public certainly enjoyed it.

It was an ensemble piece and I think Gerry did have a decent size role. The film just wasn't about his character no matter how much we would have loved him in every scene :funnyup:

I don't think there was anybody who let this film down as everybody involved were excellent especially Mark Strong and Toby Kebbell. It was a new direction for Tom Wilkinson too and he was a scream. I felt this was the first time we had seen on screen the closest Gerry has ever gotten to revealing alot of his true personality.

I personally loved it. Great soundtrack too.

Moira

I enjoyed this movie! Gerry as a slightly dimwitted criminal is hilarious! I rented the DVD this weekend for my personal viewing pleasure :) It was the best thing Guy Ritchie has done in years, except for the dance scene with Thandie. The CG additions (trying to avoid spoilers here) took me right out of the movie.

I enjoyed this movie! Gerry as a slightly dimwitted criminal is hilarious! I rented the DVD this weekend for my personal viewing pleasure :) It was the best thing Guy Ritchie has done in years, except for the dance scene with Thandie. The CG additions (trying to avoid spoilers here) took me right out of the movie.

I glad to hear you enjoyed the movie. I saw it on Comcast ON DEMAND. I liked it so much I bought the DVD! My favorite parts were the car scene between One Two & Handsome Bob & when we found out what the "favor" really was. The look on One Two's face was priceless.

Welcome to GALS, Mary1213!

Oh, that scene was priceless, as was the scene between Mumbles and OneTwo when they discussed Bob.

edited to add:

My 200th post! Am a Slave Gal!!! Yes, Great King! :pant:

Edited by Ainaran

The film did very well in UK, maybe not so much overseas. It definitely did something right since it won Best British Film at the Empire Film Awards. Did it not also win Best Film in The Sun Newspaper Awards poll and these 2 publications are huge within the UK so the British public certainly enjoyed it.

It was an ensemble piece and I think Gerry did have a decent size role. The film just wasn't about his character no matter how much we would have loved him in every scene :funnyup:

I don't think there was anybody who let this film down as everybody involved were excellent especially Mark Strong and Toby Kebbell. It was a new direction for Tom Wilkinson too and he was a scream. I felt this was the first time we had seen on screen the closest Gerry has ever gotten to revealing alot of his true personality.

I personally loved it. Great soundtrack too.

Moira

Late to the party, but I loved this film, too. I think it's one of his most enjoyable and entertaining that he's done and a wonderful ensemble effort.

I still think that if it had gotten decent, sustained marketing support and been released to major markets immediately after it's premiere (instead of a staggered release with very little support), it would have done a lot better here. Maybe not a "big" film (OK - it was a little British - LOL), but after decades of BBC/PBS British series and stars, it could have found an audience with the proper marketing push. But, the times are what they are and the dollars were not put behind it. Even so, it got a lot of good buzz on the internet and was rated quite well by many critics. Good job, all around!

Jane

I adore this film; it is absolutely my kind of humor. I had to put on closed caption, because some words were hard for me to understand, but English is not my first language. :p

I have seen it probably 50 times, so there you go. :bonk:

I adore this film; it is absolutely my kind of humor. I had to put on closed caption, because some words were hard for me to understand, but English is not my first language. :p

Can I take a wild stab at which part my Andrea "pauses" the movie? :cunning:

D :wave:

Can I take a wild stab at which part my Andrea "pauses" the movie? :cunning:

D :wave:

Ok, Ok, I admit; I pause when he pulls down his pants, BUT I also pause at almost every scene his is in just to take in his face. I love his expressions in this movie.

When he is pulling the zipper up on Thandie's dress: I love that face!!!

Am I scary or what? :lalala:

English is my first language and I put subtitles on for RnR! There would have been so much I would have missed otherwise. Between the slang and thick accents I had no choice.

On a related note I was watching Band of Brothers on Comcast OnDemand a while ago and Tom Hardy (Handsome Bob) turned up in a small role as an American soldier.

English is my first language and I put subtitles on for RnR! There would have been so much I would have missed otherwise. Between the slang and thick accents I had no choice.

On a related note I was watching Band of Brothers on Comcast OnDemand a while ago and Tom Hardy (Handsome Bob) turned up in a small role as an American soldier.

Tom and Toby are both excellent. I really hope that Toby will get the recognition he deserves.

He was outstanding.

Actually it was Gerry's words that I had the most problems with. Go figure! :bonk:

When he gets out of the Range Rover and says " I know all your girlfriends" I thought he said " I know all your ghetto friends" :D

I had problems with One-Two’s (Gerry's) accent too. I think Gerry reverted to his full on Glaswegian accent and it took me awhile to get into the rhythm of his speech. I had that problem with Jury too and there were no subtitles on that DVD. Finally when I watched that show a second time I started to understand him. It takes my brain a while to sort out the words. But yet when GB does TV interviews I have no problem understanding him at all. His accent is much more toned down.

I had problems with One-Two’s (Gerry's) accent too. I think Gerry reverted to his full on Glaswegian accent and it took me awhile to get into the rhythm of his speech. I had that problem with Jury too and there were no subtitles on that DVD. Finally when I watched that show a second time I started to understand him. It takes my brain a while to sort out the words. But yet when GB does TV interviews I have no problem understanding him at all. His accent is much more toned down.

Exactly! I'm the same way with his accent. But of course love it no matter what. :wuv:

RnR is hands down my favorite Gerry movie! I'm constantly putting the DVD in. I agree that it's Guy Ritchie's best flick in years. Gerry's hilarious throughout, and that sex scene is brilliant! The stuff with One-Two, Handsome Bob and Mumbles is awesome! Just wanted to add my two cents. :wave:

Joanne

I've now seen RnR probably 50 times and every single time when the scene where they are stealing the Merc comes on I laugh so hard I can't catch my breath. The line:

"Where's reverse?"

has become one of our family's favorite phrases. We use it in place of "Well, DUH!"

I've now seen RnR probably 50 times and every single time when the scene where they are stealing the Merc comes on I laugh so hard I can't catch my breath. The line:

"Where's reverse?"

has become one of our family's favorite phrases. We use it in place of "Well, DUH!"

Yes, me too. I adore this movie.

I tend to use a lot of phrases from Gerry's movies, so I will use this one now. You gave me a great idea, unless it is patented under your name. :p

I'm sure we can all agree that Mr. G got a bit "cheeky" during a particular scene early in the flim. :naughty:

The Divne Miss S :rose:

( you KNOW when I'm referring. "I'll make it worth your while." )

Hands down one of my faves... love me some OneTwo! Anybody got a screen cap of the "I'll make it worth your while" scene? :lol:

Another one of my favorite scenes... the call he places to Archie.

"I've goat Lenny's bi' o' scrrratch... it's berrrnin' a hole in the floooooor, so you be'er come ge' it before it melts mah buuuuuts..."