Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

Gerry's Performance in R&R

You know...I've only seen R&R once so far, and I have to say, at least on the first viewing something struck me as odd about Gerry's performance as One Two, or rather, something struck me as odd about my response to Gerry as One Two. I couldn't put my finger on it while I was watching the film, but after giving it some thought, I think I figured it out!

This is the first role I have seen him in where I was NOT attracted to him in any way. At first I thought it was because he was a crook, and I'm not crazy about the idea of him being a thug, but then what about Neil Randall? There were scenes in Shattered where Gerry's physical beauty and screen presence took my breath away.... and Neil was a creep!

One Two is handsome... he wears nice clothes and he's charming in his own way, but for me.... something was missing.

This was really bothering me, until today when I realized that the "missing" element in One Two (at least as I perceived him) was the usual intelligence I see in every single role Gerry plays. There are many times in previous films where even when he is not speaking, you can see the inner working of the character's mind, as Gerry the actor processes the character's thoughts and perhaps the back story. I did not see that at all with One Two, who seems a man acting more on instinct and survival than intelligence, and in fact, most of the time, he is clueless about what is going on.

I realize now that this was Gerry's aim with One Two; to make him a likable enough guy, but a guy who doesn't use his noggin. Gerry's portrayal of that character was very different from any he has ever played before.... and in order to do it, he had to underplay his own intelligence so that One Two could seem genuinely... well, not too smart.

That's why I was not attracted to the character.... and there was not one scene where Gerry took my breath way as he has done in every other film. One two wasn't supposed to take your breath away, he's just a misguided puppy dog who has a good heart but who has no real talent for anything but getting himself and others into trouble.

Anyhow.... this movie is further proof of Gerry's considerable skill and intelligence.... because he makes you believe this character is utterly lacking in both!

Any thoughts?

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Hey Swannie,

And here I was thinking of how charming in a goober sort of way One Two is. Also I was thinking that his Assistant had said seeing Gerry in this role was like spending time with Gerry. All I know is that he had me grinning and laughing through the entire movie. Maybe the phrase that fits here is Book smart and common sense stupid :unsure: He did a lot of leaping before looking.

What I found most disturbing of all, is that I wanted to dance with Gerry in that bad crazy way of dancing that they were doing. But then dancing the way he did with you know who would be devine, just wouldn't want him with that look on his face with me :p

The one scene where he took my breath away and not from laughter was

at the end when he was supposed to have been in court and oh my gosh he looked like a lawyer and oh my was he a sexy thing

So to make a long post short, yeah I was bothered by him in this way but it was a more hot and bother then ewww bothered not that you thought he was ewww.

One Two did it for me, he was adorable and hot in this movie!

I loved the clothes and I loved that he the accent being HIS true voice. He was smokin hot and I LOVED him in it :)

Edited by sav8821

Actually for me the opposite was true. Gerry's acting caused me to have a soft spot for a gangster..LOL!!

He was endearing to me..even though he was supposed to be a "bad guy".

He was sexy to me in certain scenes just in his expressions and the tone of his voice. And the fact that he

was able to keep his true accent.

He was vulnerable and I felt sorry for his character in some scenes.

He was funny and I couldn't help but laugh at his mistakes along the way

Just my take...

Ronnie

You know...I've only seen R&R once so far, and I have to say, at least on the first viewing something struck me as odd about Gerry's performance as One Two, or rather, something struck me as odd about my response to Gerry as One Two. I couldn't put my finger on it while I was watching the film, but after giving it some thought, I think I figured it out!

This is the first role I have seen him in where I was NOT attracted to him in any way. At first I thought it was because he was a crook, and I'm not crazy about the idea of him being a thug, but then what about Neil Randall? There were scenes in Shattered where Gerry's physical beauty and screen presence took my breath away.... and Neil was a creep!

One Two is handsome... he wears nice clothes and he's charming in his own way, but for me.... something was missing.

This was really bothering me, until today when I realized that the "missing" element in One Two (at least as I perceived him) was the usual intelligence I see in every single role Gerry plays. There are many times in previous films where even when he is not speaking, you can see the inner working of the character's mind, as Gerry the actor processes the character's thoughts and perhaps the back story. I did not see that at all with One Two, who seems a man acting more on instinct and survival than intelligence, and in fact, most of the time, he is clueless about what is going on.

I realize now that this was Gerry's aim with One Two; to make him a likable enough guy, but a guy who doesn't use his noggin. Gerry's portrayal of that character was very different from any he has ever played before.... and in order to do it, he had to underplay his own intelligence so that One Two could seem genuinely... well, not too smart.

That's why I was not attracted to the character.... and there was not one scene where Gerry took my breath way as he has done in every other film. One two wasn't supposed to take your breath away, he's just a misguided puppy dog who has a good heart but who has no real talent for anything but getting himself and others into trouble.

Anyhow.... this movie is further proof of Gerry's considerable skill and intelligence.... because he makes you believe this character is utterly lacking in both!

Any thoughts?

Swannie

I think Gerry was believable in the role for what it was. The character had no real back story and I wasn't too intrigued by One Two, although he was kind to his mates LOL. I don't know if we are meant to have much empathy for Ritchie's characters. They are basically all ne'er do well types who seem to thrive on thuggery and violence. I'm afraid I was just mesmerized by seeing Gerry on the big screen again and listening to his wonderful accent LOL. He looked gorgeous and was extremely sexy in some parts of this movie IMO. From an acting standpoint some of the scenes that I thought were great

SPOILERS!!

The look of absolute fascination and lust on Gerry's face as Thandie inserted the dollop of thick creamy sauce onto her tongue and his obvious discomfort when she mentioned 'precautions' LOL. Great acting IMO

The scene in the art gallery when Thandie is walking away and Gerry is watching her with a kind of predatory, assessing look. OMG that raised eyebrow and wicked grin brought vivid memories of Clark Gable in his heyday.

His phony kind of nonchalance as he asks her 'what do you want'? and then telling her to 'come on up then' just before that very short but powerfully effective sex scene. His facial expressions were priceless and spot on during the 'act'. Loved his little grunt LOL. Afterwards, stretched out beside her, he seemed like a big satisfied cat. He was so sexy here IMO. The way he helps her with her dress and his look as he offers her a 'gift'.

could not stop laughing during the two dancing segments. The pained but concerned expression whilst dancing with Handsome Bob and the hilarious so very uncool dancing with Thandie .

I really laughed during the 2 robberies plus the chase scene.

I long to see Gerry in more comedies. He's such a natural rogue and so very charming. I also hope that he will do something historical at least one more time on the big screen. IMO there is nobody today who could play the ultimate hero better than GB. Preferably in a ruffled shirt with long wavy hair LOL. He would probably run a mile before he would do that again. I wonder if even now fans are begging him to play Jamie Fraser in the upcoming 'Outlander' movie. I think he said sometime ago that fans were sending him the books to read LOL. This is going to be very interesting to see who they choose for the role. They are going to have to condense the novels. Perhaps they could begin the movie with the older Jamie and have segments where they re-visit the past. It's been done before and could work with Gerry in the role. IMO he would not look too old. I like the idea that it is being adapted by the writer who did the screenplay for 'Braveheart'. This makes me think that it will be a quality production with a good script that may appeal to Gerry. Now if they can just get Mel Gibson to direct.

I have to agree about the comment made at the very end in the court room. That quick clip of Gerry with the facial hair in the suit. OMG!!!!

Also, the dance scene in the film was so great. I loved when they were dancing together and that song/music was perfect. You cannot beat the dance at the end during the closing credits. So adorkable, my Gerry! Is Gerry that huge or is Handsome Bob that small??? Gerry looked to be 4 times larger in scale to him when they were dancing.

LOL Sorry, Swannie! I LOVED One Two! Big, dumb and beautiful though he may be, he is also big-hearted and generous in spite of himself (Bob will attest to that!). I love these kind of characters, rough and tough and in control - but actually clueless. He's loyal, cheeky, constantly striving for something better - and constantly getting in deeper with every attempt to rise above. Hahahaha! You just want to give him a cuddle!

It's golden! He's just plain fun and I hope we get to see more of One Two and The Wild Bunch!

Jane

(P.S. And it definitely is "about" something. A tone poem to Karma. LOL)

Edited by Jeb

Isn't there going to be two more movies?

There is supposed to be and I love how they mentioned it at the end. Lets hope that people start talking about this film and get it into more theaters. I expected it to be good, but I never dreamed that it would be THIS GOOD.

Only if this one does well enough to warrant it. But yes, the intention is there. I hope it comes true!

JB

Hey, I'm not saying I did not "like" the character, One Two. I did. I thought he was great fun! What I am saying is that he did NOT turn me on sexually. Not in any way. This is the first film I have ever seen of Gerry's where his character did not do that to me. What I am saying is, I think that's because I am attracted to the intelligence of Gerry's characters even more than their physical attractiveness.

Swannie

There is supposed to be and I love how they mentioned it at the end. Lets hope that people start talking about this film and get it into more theaters. I expected it to be good, but I never dreamed that it would be THIS GOOD.

Only if this one does well enough to warrant it. But yes, the intention is there. I hope it comes true!

JB

Thanks, gals!

"...Going out via Warner Bros., "Rocknrolla" scored a healthy debut of $2.75 million in its opening frame from 362 playdates, beating out "Mamma Mia!" and Keira Knightley starrer "The Duchess" for the number one spot. Pic marks a commercial and critical return to form for Ritchie, off the back of duds "Swept Away" and "Revolver......"

:pointy:

It premieres here 12/5 and I'm sure it'll be BIG as his earlier (GR's ) have done great! :D

Edited by NordicGirl

Hey, I'm not saying I did not "like" the character, One Two. I did. I thought he was great fun! What I am saying is that he did NOT turn me on sexually. Not in any way. This is the first film I have ever seen of Gerry's where his character did not do that to me. What I am saying is, I think that's because I am attracted to the intelligence of Gerry's characters even more than their physical attractiveness.

Swannie

LOL There is no role he can play that I don't end up wanting him. I'm weak and have no standards, Swannie.

But I'm learning to live with it.

Jane

(P.S. What he was willing to do for Bob, despite his feelings, made me love the character, too. A warm heart and loyalty gets me even more than intelligence.)

Edited by Jeb

Wait Swannie~

Except when he says "It's a pseudonym (you idiot)."

:p

The intellect is definitely a highly valuable asset...

You probably wouldn't be hooking up with a london thug anyway - not your style.

But he was still kinda sxxy. :funnyface:

Maybe if I see it again.... his sexiness will come through to me. Maybe it was just hormones or something I ate!LOL

Swannie

Yes, I think we need to do a scientific investigation...

I will go with you! :kisswink:

That or we could quiz him in person!

Oy, yeah, you already did that at convention...

Nevermind... :wuv:

Guest greyeyegoddess

You know, this was the latest role where Gerry said that the role was more like him; that his mates said that it was more like him, and I believe it, from my perspective and from what I've seen.

I don't think that every character that Gerry plays will be one that "turns you on" per se. I don't think he has to do that every time.

~alice

:music:

Nope, he doesn't have to to do that in every role.... but for me he usually does, which is why I was so surprised that One Two did not. Again, I am complimenting his skills as an actor.... not criticizing him. I think he played the role just right... but I do hope that if there are indeed sequels.... we will get to see him do some major snogging!

Swannie

THIS is an interesting thread! I have to also admit that the first time I saw the film something was "off" for me as well. I didn't come out swooning, but I did come out of it loving the movie. I also think that these mixed feelings are a testament to Gerry's tremendous talent.

So, did I find One Two attractive? Of course I did. Let's face it . . . it was Gerry. But I didn't get that "catch" in my chest that Gerry evokes on a regular basis. EXCEPT THAT LAST SHOT. OMG - yes . . . that last courtroom shot I think I jumped out of my seat at that. Okay, back to One Two . . .

When I came out I was thinking to myself, "Joy saw the real Gerry in this guy?" I was hoping for something a bit more "exciting" I guess. And what we got was a subtle, honest performance. I admit I was a bit puzzled - not by Gerry's portrayal at all. But I think I was expecting something a bit more over the top. Know what I mean?

I am going to say this, though . . . I HATED the scene when he finds out Handsome Bob wanted him. It was funny until I saw Bob's face in the car . . . the utter humiliation completely ripped my heart out. One Two redeems himself, but that was the over-the-top act I had been looking for. :lol: I don't know why.

Now when I think about how this is the closest to Gerry we get, I think that Gerry is a bit more subdued than we get to really see. Maybe I had it in my head that Gerry was like that (I can't think of a synonym for OTT). I think we regularly see a Gerry that is always "on", but really when it comes down to it, Gerry is just a quiet normal guy. When he was sitting with Stella in the restaurant scene he didn't need to impress. He was confident so he didn't need to be "on".

If we're talking about looks, I think I was more turned on by Gerry's after-sex look then anywhere else throughout the movie. His shirt was unbuttoned, hair all mussed up. I think besides the last shot, that was his most attractive look. I also thought he looked very sexy after he hit the bad guy on the back of the head with the wood plank.

But this movie was about more than Gerry's looks, and I think that's awesome for him. I actually think he was a bit of a dufus, but in a smart way. He was a thug with a heart. Brains? Maybe not so much. I think Mumbles was more of the brains of the two of them.

I feel like I'm all over the place with my thoughts and I'm not coming across clearly. Let's see if I can summarize.

**I'm thinking that I went into this movie with the idea that I would see the "real Gerry" and I was surprised at the result. He was sublte, subdued and just a guy and I think I was expecting an over-the-top Gerry. It was a PLEASANT surprise.

**I found One Two attractive, but maybe not sexy. The intelligence wasn't there as much as usual, but I found the humor as attractive as the intelligence. Both dance scenes were hilarious.

**Gerry can do anything. He is a tremendous actor who can become anything. From a couple of Kings to a couple of thugs to a sexy Phantom, a loving husband, a doting father, etc., Gerry can be anything. And he can make you believe he IS that character.

ETA: Like Swannie - this is in no way a criticism. Instead, it IS a compliment to Gerry's talent.

I hope I didn't ramble too badly.

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

Guest greyeyegoddess

I wonder if it was because he made me laugh more than swoon, that I enjoyed it more. Every time he was on the screen, the crowd was roaring with laughter. I don't remember any other time he had done that before. I like a guy who can make me laugh.

I really wasn't surprised at all about how he played his character.

I think we saw him in a lot of scenes that maybe we would never have thought that we might see.

~alice

Well, I'm looking so forward to seeing this movie tomorrow! We live so far out of the city that we kind of have to plan everything around one trip, so that would be tomorrow and it's not in all theaters here.

For me, the Gerry movies that I have seen so far, I feel pretty much the same way! Usually the first words that come to mind are, "oh my freaking God, this man!" I'll be interested to see how I feel when I see One, Two. But, Swannie, there is nothing wrong with your feelings. You are being honest and that's the part of Gerry, obviously, that you are attracted to. I am attracted to smarts but I worked for thoracic surgeons for years and when it comes to intelligence colliding with "doofusness", they lead the pack. The doctor I worked for could tell off colored jokes while he took a heart out of someone's chest, fixed it, put it back in and then would go for a jog around the block in his scrubs, black sox and Wing tip loafers. What a sight! My point is that he had most every female following him like a puppy but he was NOT attractive physically. I was just his assistant but I was awstruck by the amount of knowledge in the man's head but felt no attraction for him physically even though we worked closely together.

It's all in your own perspective, what clicks at the time and it could have been an off day for you. I thought my libido was pretty much shot until I saw Gerry in POTO and if there had been a "libido meter" near by, the needle would have spun on it's dial! But for me, I don't usually get turned on just by looks because there are many great looking actors out there that don't do it for me, but I love their acting. But there's just something about Gerry! It's a combination of things that all come together, his acting, his intelligence, his sensitivity, his boyish charm, his magnetism, and those rugged good looks and then "ding, ding, ding, ding,!"

The character he played just wasn't your cup of tea as far as attract factor and Gerry is such an awsome actor, he was able to change your entire perception for a while. Hang in there, Swannie, you haven't lost that lovin' feelin"!

D

I almost always have to see Gerry's films at least twice to appreciate the film for what it is.

There is so much anticipation, spoilers, conversation, opinions expressed over what people expect the film to be or want it to be that I find it distracting, sometimes, for me. And modern film marketing doesn't help as they often "sell" a film based on what they think people want to see rather than what it is. I see the film once to see what it, and Gerry, are actually intending to do. "Oh, so THAT'S what it (or his character) is about!" Then I watch the film a second time on its own terms and evaluate whether I like it for what it is and intends to be.

Having said that, I don't expect every role - I don't want every role - to be some kind of romantic confirmation of Gerry. My impressions of him as a person, I think, have always been much more attuned to his seriousness, professionalism, realistic humanity, what I see, etc., than his image or quips. More by what he actually does and has accomplished than how he seems when performing (on film and off) or cutting loose or by what others think he is. In other words, my idea of "who" he is, is constantly reaffirmed as time goes by. I never (so far, not that I never will) feel surprised or shocked, more "I thought so." Which is a long-winded way of saying that One Two fit in with expectations (always remembering that it still is ACTING and a fictional role) very well. Some things very well, some things "OK. I can buy that." LOL

It amuses me (infuriates me?) that people sometimes second-guess what he says or opinions he expresses or life-experiences he's had but accept gossip reports and puff pieces at face value. Wrong way around, to my way of thinking, but that's the way it is.

AND I KNOW YOU AREN'T CRITICIZING, Phoenixgirl and Swannie. Just opinions and impressions. LOL

JB

Guest greyeyegoddess

There is so much anticipation, spoilers, conversation, opinions expressed over what people expect the film to be or want it to be that I find it distracting, sometimes, for me. And modern film marketing doesn't help as they often "sell" a film based on what they think people want to see rather than what it is. I see the film once to see what it, and Gerry, are actually intending to do. "Oh, so THAT'S what it (or his character) is about!" Then I watch the film a second time on its own terms and evaluate whether I like it for what it is and intends to be.

I hate when that happens. You think a movie is one way, and you get a completely different movie experience.

~alice

I almost always have to see Gerry's films at least twice to appreciate the film for what it is.

JB

Jane, I also have to see his movies more than once (except Nim's Island just cause of the nature of it) to really appreciate the FILM. The first time I see one of his movies I'm so busy focusing on Gerry that I miss the movie. Shallow? Maybe . . . but that's what happens to me. The second time I saw the movie I was able to focus more on the story - plus Moira had to explain a bit to me cause I didn't catch it first time round.

I do think the anticipation of it all builds something up in my head and then the reality is different. When I was anticipating the LOTR movies I never watched any trailers or read or listened to any reviews or anything so I would go into it with an open mind and it really made a difference.

However, being such an ardent Gerry fan it's hard to stay away from things like that before seeing one of his movies. Game and TUT is already ruined for me. :lol: Maybe I could try it with LAC? Yeah right . . .

I can't wait to see RNR again.

And imagine how boring it would be if we all had the same opinions of everything Gerry does. I think different opinions and different ways of seeing things makes the fandom more fun.

Edited by phoenixgirl

I think if anything RnR shows Gerry for what he really is like in real life if so many of those who feel they know him best say this was the closest to Gerry being Gerry - a big lovable numpty not the sex god we perceive him to be :funnyup:

I have always thought whilst Gerry does it for me - in real life I'd expect him to be a funny lovable guy in "that situation" rather than a love god.

He freely admits himself he is a dufus when it comes to women so Gerry is a remarkable actor that can make so many women drool at the appropriate moments when sexiness is required of the character.

He looked good and i did find him sexy but i always do regardless - but he was not playing one two to be sexy so it is understandable why you never felt anything Swannie.

Moira