Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

Gerry's Performance in R&R

Guest greyeyegoddess

Jane, I also have to see his movies more than once (except Nim's Island just cause of the nature of it) to really appreciate the FILM. The first time I see one of his movies I'm so busy focusing on Gerry that I miss the movie. Shallow?

Nope, not at all. Why else would we go see a movie that we'd never see if Gerry wasn't in it? We've had lots of discussions about that...300? PS? To sit through a movie that I'm not interested in, just to see Gerry on screen? To buy dvds of movies I would never buy if Gerry wasn't in them? If that's shallow, throw me in the two feet part of the pool, now.

I did get all into the spoilers and stuff with 300, and I did expect more than was offered. I vowed never to do it again. I did peek at PS, but hardly did anything for Nim's or Rocknrolla, so I thoroughly enjoyed all the "newness" of the movies.

It is hard to stay away from all the hype, which is what the studios want you to do...become overwhelmed with the hype.

~alice

:music:

I was really glad not to have seen anything more than the trailers for RnR because I was genuinely surprised by the whole Handsome Bob thing. I've seen the movie twice now and still really enjoyed it. I probably would not have seen it if Gerry wasn't in it, which seems sad to me, because it's such a great movie. Guy Ritchie movies are not really my normal video choice, but some of the girls made me watch Lock Stock and Snatch and I really like his style.

I got lost this afternoon......and found myself running around with a bunch of London thugs looking for a missing painting!

After 114 minutes of shear thrills, spills, and side-splitting laughter, I managed to find my way back to my car and make it home safely!

What an adventure!!!!! It has been a long time since I have seen a movie that kept me so enthralled and transported me into that London underworld! The term "suspension of disbelief" doesn't go far enough.

I REALLY LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!! :tens:

The entire cast works so well together; each and every performance was great!!!

I loved our Gerry in this one and cannot wait to see it again!

IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS MOVIE RUN (DON'T WALK) TO YOUR NEAREST THEATER AND SEE IT!!!

GREAT JOB GERRY!!!!!!! :yourock:

:hugssnogs:

Raz

Edited by razberry

The first time I saw the movie I got the humor - it made me literally scream with laughter in several places. I can't say for sure whether I found the character of One Two anything but funny. However for me funny is the real deal because it was by making me laugh that my husband won my heart. There were things in the plot of Rocknrolla I missed the first time and each time I see it again I pick up something else. Some of it is the slang used, some of it is just trying to follow how Guy Ritchie juxtaposes plot lines. It is fascinating! But now, after 5 viewings, there are things about Gerry's One Two that are DEFINITELY a turn on for me.

***SPOILER ALERT***

The scene when Archy shows up to get the money, and One Two is half sitting half leaning on the pool table. The thighs!!! The smirk!!! OMG he has me right there. I find the adorkable dance with Stella is sexy in such a hilarious way. The look on his face nearly any time he is looking at Stella is verrra sexy. The thighs (again) in the "apres-sex" moments on the bed. And of course the shot of him in the courtroom. Yup, there are many moments when One Two is very much a turn-on to me. But I didn't "get" all that from the first viewing. You know, while I find him sexier with each time I see it, I also find the movie even funnier each time. It is that good and I'll be advising everyone I know to see it. I can't wait to share it with a bunch of other Gerry fans next weekend in L.A.!!

I find the adorkable dance with Stella is sexy in such a hilarious way.

OMG! Susan! That is EXACTLY the word! It's hard to describe his dance and that is the exact description I have been searching for! **snorts** Adorkable. :lmao:

You know...I've only seen R&R once so far, and I have to say, at least on the first viewing something struck me as odd about Gerry's performance as One Two, or rather, something struck me as odd about my response to Gerry as One Two. I couldn't put my finger on it while I was watching the film, but after giving it some thought, I think I figured it out!

This is the first role I have seen him in where I was NOT attracted to him in any way. At first I thought it was because he was a crook, and I'm not crazy about the idea of him being a thug, but then what about Neil Randall? There were scenes in Shattered where Gerry's physical beauty and screen presence took my breath away.... and Neil was a creep!

One Two is handsome... he wears nice clothes and he's charming in his own way, but for me.... something was missing.

I think as someone else said there really isn't that much depth to the character, it's the way the character is written. I however probably come from a very biased point of view as I hated RocknRolla. Two hours of my life I'd really like back.

I didn't find anything likeable about OneTwo. And I didn't feel the role gave Gerry much to work with -- I mean it didn't really stretch the acting muscles. This is not a criticism of Gerry, this is a criticism of the script.

This was really bothering me, until today when I realized that the "missing" element in One Two (at least as I perceived him) was the usual intelligence I see in every single role Gerry plays. There are many times in previous films where even when he is not speaking, you can see the inner working of the character's mind, as Gerry the actor processes the character's thoughts and perhaps the back story. I did not see that at all with One Two, who seems a man acting more on instinct and survival than intelligence, and in fact, most of the time, he is clueless about what is going on.

I agree with what you say here, but I didn't expect an intellectual character in the first place. This wasn't supposed to be a thought provoking drama with deep characters.

That's why I was not attracted to the character.... and there was not one scene where Gerry took my breath way as he has done in every other film. One two wasn't supposed to take your breath away, he's just a misguided puppy dog who has a good heart but who has no real talent for anything but getting himself and others into trouble.

I agree, I was not attracted to the character either. And yet he has exactly the same look when he plays Jack in Nim's Island -- which I believe was filmed soon after RnR, and yet I find the character of Jack very attractive.

Oh there were several moments when Jack in Nim's totally took my breath away!

Well I guess I need to see R&R again, cuz' I really want to get the full thrust of Gerry's performance as One Two.

So who wants to go with me????

I've really enjoyed reading your comments.... all of them. I often have such a visceral response to Gerry's roles, that NOT having one in this movie kinda makes me sad! But I'll take One Two for another spin and maybe he'll get me going with multiple viewings!

I have to say.... I did laugh my arse off at the Keystone cop car caper. Seeing the wild bunch trying to get at those Russian dudes in the car was like a bit from a silent film! I laughed also at the dance with One Two and Stella (but you can tell that Gerry TOTALLY knows how to dance!). and there were many other moments in the film when I almost had to reach for my inhaler from laughing so hard.

I agree that perhaps in his outer demeanor, One Two is a lot like Gerry;kinda laid back and dorky. But there is no way I'll ever believe that One Two and Gerry are equals intellectually. There is always something going on behind Gerry Butler's eyes.

Swannie

I have to say about the dance . . . when Gerry starts shaking his hands . . . OMG I just laugh my arse off. So damn funny . . . probably a new classic . . .

Swannie I wish we could go together! That would be a blast!!!!!

Love ya!

Lisa

Lisa, where the hell did that pic come from???? The one of Gerry in your siggy????? Bloody hell.... that is HOT!!!!!

(and I love the slogan!)

Swannie

Hi Monica,

actually, there is one intellectually deep and interesting character in the film... and that's Johnny Quid. I found him fascinating, and his dialogue was so well written. I was expecting him to be a mindless punk, but he had so many more layers than the other characters... and I think that's clever story telling on Ritchie's part.

Anyhow, I enjoyed your comments!

Swannie

You know...I've only seen R&R once so far, and I have to say, at least on the first viewing something struck me as odd about Gerry's performance as One Two, or rather, something struck me as odd about my response to Gerry as One Two. I couldn't put my finger on it while I was watching the film, but after giving it some thought, I think I figured it out!

This is the first role I have seen him in where I was NOT attracted to him in any way. At first I thought it was because he was a crook, and I'm not crazy about the idea of him being a thug, but then what about Neil Randall? There were scenes in Shattered where Gerry's physical beauty and screen presence took my breath away.... and Neil was a creep!

One Two is handsome... he wears nice clothes and he's charming in his own way, but for me.... something was missing.

I think as someone else said there really isn't that much depth to the character, it's the way the character is written. I however probably come from a very biased point of view as I hated RocknRolla. Two hours of my life I'd really like back.

I didn't find anything likeable about OneTwo. And I didn't feel the role gave Gerry much to work with -- I mean it didn't really stretch the acting muscles. This is not a criticism of Gerry, this is a criticism of the script.

This was really bothering me, until today when I realized that the "missing" element in One Two (at least as I perceived him) was the usual intelligence I see in every single role Gerry plays. There are many times in previous films where even when he is not speaking, you can see the inner working of the character's mind, as Gerry the actor processes the character's thoughts and perhaps the back story. I did not see that at all with One Two, who seems a man acting more on instinct and survival than intelligence, and in fact, most of the time, he is clueless about what is going on.

I agree with what you say here, but I didn't expect an intellectual character in the first place. This wasn't supposed to be a thought provoking drama with deep characters.

That's why I was not attracted to the character.... and there was not one scene where Gerry took my breath way as he has done in every other film. One two wasn't supposed to take your breath away, he's just a misguided puppy dog who has a good heart but who has no real talent for anything but getting himself and others into trouble.

I agree, I was not attracted to the character either. And yet he has exactly the same look when he plays Jack in Nim's Island -- which I believe was filmed soon after RnR, and yet I find the character of Jack very attractive.

Hi Monica,

actually, there is one intellectually deep and interesting character in the film... and that's Johnny Quid. I found him fascinating, and his dialogue was so well written. I was expecting him to be a mindless punk, but he had so many more layers than the other characters... and I think that's clever story telling on Ritchie's part.

Ayhow, I enjoyed your comments!

Swannie

Absolutely! Toby Kebbell nailed it and was fabulous. Very intelligent and wise.

Swannie, the pic is in our gallery, but here you go, sweetie:

Posted Image

OMG, that photo is ..... wow! That look on his face, and those thighs!!!!!

I hope Ritchie fleshes out his characters a bit more if there are sequels. The scene where Johnny Quid went through his seizures/twitching on the floor was absolutely haunting. It really disturbed me, but was so well shot and acted. The music for that scene was also a huge factor in its effectiveness. I found myself really caring about what happened to Johnny.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

OMG, that photo is ..... wow! That look on his face, and those thighs!!!!!

I hope Ritchie fleshes out his characters a bit more if there are sequels. The scene where Johnny Quid went through his seizures/twitching on the floor was absolutely haunting. It really disturbed me, but was so well shot and acted. The music for that scene was also a huge factor in its effectiveness. I found myself really caring about what happened to Johnny.

Swannie

OH yes, and it hit too close to home. I almost cried at that part. I also think the guy who played Handsome Bob was superb in the scene where he comes out to One Two. Again, hit home and I wanted to cry. I think many of the characters had their shining moments in the movie.

I need to see it again . . .

Some great reading here--another interesting and thought provoking topic by Swannie!

I hope you do go see the movie again because I think you very well might feel a little

different about Mr. One Two. Of course, if you don't, I think I harbor enough "hot" ones

for the both of us!! And for once, I am NOT talking motherly feelings!! As far as Gerry's

eyes, there is ALWAYS more to be seen in his eyes--I sure felt that I saw that here.

Anyway, I would love to go back to the movie with Swannie (we only live 100 miles apart)

but the problem is that neither Swannie nor I drive (at least I don't drive out of my own

little area!! Out of the 12 of us who got together to see the movie yesterday, there were

only 2 who really did not like it, and don't wish to see it again. (Their loss, IMHO, but

not everything is for everybody.) I am going back for the third time probably tomorrow

evening--and I can't wait.

Hugs,

Judy

Oh crap, Judy.... now everyone knows what a weirdo I am! (just kidding... I don't care of people know my secret. That's right, I don't drive!)

Hubby really liked the movie, but he is never one for seeing a film more than once in the theater, so I'll have to find someone else to go with me.

I was wishing I could have been there with you all, Judy, but we had a very busy weekend. Still working on our redecorating projects! Yesterday was hanging the curtains day.... which took nearly all day! Today we went out and bought a gorgeous lifelike fake Christmas tree. It is a Noble Fir and I swear it looks real! Of course we won't put it up until after Thanksgiving.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Spoilers

Yes I think the Wild Bunch were a bit thick and it was more out of luck rather than good fortune that they came out on top - Somebody said to me they thought Gerry's name in RnR was really Fraser Nash as that was the name that Archie said as he was reading out who got put in jail and Gerry came on screen at that moment but I was sure he read out that Fraser Nash got 15 years then he said One Two - Two years - I know Fraser Nash is a bit Scottish sounding but I never linked the two - did anybody else. To me one of the most stunning parts of the film and it had nothing to do with Gerry was when Johnny Quid was playing the piano and explaining to his junkie mate why he could not hand the picture back and it was interwined with Lenny getting kneecapped by the Russians - excellent scene. Toby Kebbell was for me the standout performance in this movie and it would not surprise me come Bafta time if he is nominated for Bafta's Rising Star Award.

Moira

When Archie was reciting the list of people Lenny sent up, there were a couple of names of people we did not know that were not pictured. Only the people we already knew did we see. Frasier Nash was one of the people we never met.

Tony Kebble did a great job. He also had the most fully written, idiosyncratic character, setting him up as the main interest for the next film. It was a fine showcase for him.

Jane

Guest greyeyegoddess

I agree that Gerry didn't get to stretch much, but how much does one have to stretch to play someone like himself? I've said this before, when Gerry isn't the lead or main actor in the movie, I feel something is missing from his character. He shines when he's the lead.

I really liked the characters Johnny Quid and Archie. They were wonderful, and watching it a second time, the piano scene was great!

~alice

:music:

When Archie was reciting the list of people Lenny sent up, there were a couple of names of people we did not know that were not pictured. Only the people we already knew did we see. Frasier Nash was one of the people we never met.

Tony Kebble did a great job. He also had the most fully written, idiosyncratic character, setting him up as the main interest for the next film. It was a fine showcase for him.

Jane

The conjecture that was discussed amongst our viewing group was that Fraser Nash is One Two's real name. Arch was reading from "court" documents which would use the legal names. However, I must plead guilty to being so enraptured by that pic of Gerry with the scruff/beard and suit that I didn't catch the dialogue. :lol:

Mo, I concur with all of your previous post!

I loved Gerry as One-Two, But you're right, in this movie he just reacted to situations instead of planning or schemeing.

He does great comedy another facet to his great talent!

Ginny

Jane

The conjecture that was discussed amongst our viewing group was that Fraser Nash is One Two's real name. Arch was reading from "court" documents which would use the legal names. However, I must plead guilty to being so enraptured by that pic of Gerry with the scruff/beard and suit that I didn't catch the dialogue. :lol:

:funnyup: Hell yeah! But I have to say, as the dissenting voice in our viewing group, I agree with Mo and Jeb. And I really like the idea that we don't know Mr. One Two's real name. :lol:

Okay, who is Mo?

Swannie

Forgive me, I used the familiar abbreviation that Katie used. Moira.

Oh there were several moments when Jack in Nim's totally took my breath away!

Well I guess I need to see R&R again, cuz' I really want to get the full thrust of Gerry's performance as One Two.

So who wants to go with me????

I've really enjoyed reading your comments.... all of them. I often have such a visceral response to Gerry's roles, that NOT having one in this movie kinda makes me sad! But I'll take One Two for another spin and maybe he'll get me going with multiple viewings!

I have to say.... I did laugh my arse off at the Keystone cop car caper. Seeing the wild bunch trying to get at those Russian dudes in the car was like a bit from a silent film! I laughed also at the dance with One Two and Stella (but you can tell that Gerry TOTALLY knows how to dance!). and there were many other moments in the film when I almost had to reach for my inhaler from laughing so hard.

I agree that perhaps in his outer demeanor, One Two is a lot like Gerry;kinda laid back and dorky. But there is no way I'll ever believe that One Two and Gerry are equals intellectually. There is always something going on behind Gerry Butler's eyes.

Swannie

Swannie, this is NOT GERARD BUTLER. This is Gerry playing a total knownothing. He is so lovable as One Two because he doesn't know what he is doing. One Two is SUPPOSED to be a THUG, but he doesn't know how to be. That is the beauty of it all. The wild bunch has been put in jail by Lenny for long terms for doing NOTHING crimes. Their future has been created by Lenny so he can control them, when they try to BE what they are accused of being, they don't know how. His character is just a sweet, lost kid. His character really comes thru when he freaks at Handsome Bob, but then feels so sorry about yelling at him and asks what it was he wanted to do to him. You see the sweetness of the character in that moment of near submission to something he detests. If you didn't melt when he was watching the Stella character eat the celery, something wasn't working right when you saw it. I'd love to be able to see it with you, but I really think you were looking for our Gerry and this character wasn't written to let any of Gerry into it, even though I did see snippets of him here and there. He was allowed to be the smartest wild one, knowing sudanym(misspelled), etc. AND he also said he would normally have turned Stella down except for their present situation. They only owed Lenny the money because he conned them into oweing him the money to begin with. They were out to do a legitimate land deal and make some clean money, and Lenny threw them right back into crime, which was his whole intent to begin with.

Please see this again, and know that you are only suppose to LAUGH. It is a total comedy, the first REAL comedy Gerry has done, and I think he did a BANG UP JOB of creating a hilarious character and at the same time, giving his character sensitivity, tenderness, and compassion. The trick to this job was to HIDE his intelligence, and I think he had to really ACT to pull this character off. He needs an OSCAR for this performance. This character was certainly NOT the Gerry Butler we all know and love,

that's why it is called ACTING. He was superb!!

AND, I love him ABSOLUTELY. Saw it 4 times this weekend and plan to see it 4 more next. I love it.

GERRY REIGNS AS ACTOR OF THE YEAR IN THIS ONE!!!!!!

:whome2:

YES, DARLIN'

I LOVE YOU ABSOLUTELY

CONGRATS ON RNR, MARVELOUS

Jane

They did say One Two, two years tho as they pictured him. And they pictured the others like Mumbles, etc., so Frasier Nash wasn't One Two. They also mentioned some twins that were not part of the pic as far as I knew, and they mentioned Archie also. Good assumption though.

:funnyup: Hell yeah! But I have to say, as the dissenting voice in our viewing group, I agree with Mo and Jeb. And I really like the idea that we don't know Mr. One Two's real name. :lol: