Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

Gerry's Performance in R&R

Hey Sandy,

Just thought I'd quote a snippet from my first post on this thread:

I realize now that this was Gerry's aim with One Two; to make him a likable enough guy, but a guy who doesn't use his noggin. Gerry's portrayal of that character was very different from any he has ever played before.... and in order to do it, he had to underplay his own intelligence so that One Two could seem genuinely... well, not too smart.

That's why I was not attracted to the character.... and there was not one scene where Gerry took my breath way as he has done in every other film. One two wasn't supposed to take your breath away, he's just a misguided puppy dog who has a good heart but who has no real talent for anything but getting himself and others into trouble.

Anyhow.... this movie is further proof of Gerry's considerable skill and intelligence.... because he makes you believe this character is utterly lacking in both!

Yeah, I do think it was fine acting on Gerry's part. Having tried my hand at acting a few times, I think it is far more difficult to underplay a role than it is to do a broader, overplayed performance!

Swannie

When Archie was reciting the list of people Lenny sent up, there were a couple of names of people we did not know that were not pictured. Only the people we already knew did we see. Frasier Nash was one of the people we never met.

Tony Kebble did a great job. He also had the most fully written, idiosyncratic character, setting him up as the main interest for the next film. It was a fine showcase for him.

Jane

The conjecture that was discussed amongst our viewing group was that Fraser Nash is One Two's real name. Arch was reading from "court" documents which would use the legal names. However, I must plead guilty to being so enraptured by that pic of Gerry with the scruff/beard and suit that I didn't catch the dialogue. :lol:

Mo, I concur with all of your previous post!

Now that's interesting! I'll have to really listen next time (Friday).

I can't wait until someone comes up with a cap of that pic of Gerry. Lookin' all . . . lawyer-ly.

Lisa

Okay who's gonna write the first Fraser Nash fanfic?

Great name!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Okay who's gonna write the first Fraser Nash fanfic?

Great name!

Swannie

Oh I would so love to do that! :cunning: How HOT would that be?

I think I should finish Jack first, though. :lol:

Lisa

Being upstairs I will not walk right into that one, Lisa... *Cough!*

This is Gerry playing a total knownothing. He is so lovable as One Two because he doesn't know what he is doing. . . . His character really comes thru when he freaks at Handsome Bob, but then feels so sorry about yelling at him and asks what it was he wanted to do to him. You see the sweetness of the character in that moment of near submission to something he detests. . . . He was allowed to be the smartest wild one, knowing sudanym(misspelled), etc. AND he also said he would normally have turned Stella down except for their present situation. They only owed Lenny the money because he conned them into oweing him the money to begin with. They were out to do a legitimate land deal and make some clean money, and Lenny threw them right back into crime, which was his whole intent to begin with. . . . It is a total comedy. . . and I think he did a BANG UP JOB of creating a hilarious character and at the same time, giving his character sensitivity, tenderness, and compassion. The trick to this job was to HIDE his intelligence, and I think he had to really ACT to pull this character off. . . .This character was certainly NOT the Gerry Butler we all know and love. . . .

Great breakdown, Shirsan. Nice job.

JB

Gerry is NOT both intelligent and a big silly goofball?!? *Kicks dirt*

No, I'll leave your thread alone - just hoped for more than a few glimpses as a friend of his said it was like spending time with the Gerry he knew.

I'll try to jumpstart this thread after the Norwegian premiere 12/5.... :tissues:

When Archie was reciting the list of people Lenny sent up, there were a couple of names of people we did not know that were not pictured. Only the people we already knew did we see. Frasier Nash was one of the people we never met.

Tony Kebble did a great job. He also had the most fully written, idiosyncratic character, setting him up as the main interest for the next film. It was a fine showcase for him.

Jane

The conjecture that was discussed amongst our viewing group was that Fraser Nash is One Two's real name. Arch was reading from "court" documents which would use the legal names. However, I must plead guilty to being so enraptured by that pic of Gerry with the scruff/beard and suit that I didn't catch the dialogue. :lol:

Mo, I concur with all of your previous post!

:funnyup: Hell yeah! But I have to say, as the dissenting voice in our viewing group, I agree with Mo and Jeb. And I really like the idea that we don't know Mr. One Two's real name. :lol:

Some of the reviews talked about Ritchie giving hints for the next film. It's possible that some of those names will be characters that pop up in the next RNR installment. Ya think?

JB

Archie definitely says "One Two" when Gerry's picture pops up on the screen, Fraser Nash is another unknown character, as are many of those who were listed as being sent up by Lenny.

Toby Kebbell was brilliant as Johnny Quid - his is definitely the most multi-dimensional character of the lot and it appears the sequel, if it gets made, will be more focused on Arch and Johnny.

I believe that One Two shows us the goofy and hilariously silly side of Gerry that his friends know. The character may not display Gerry's intelligence but then that's what acting is all about, creating characters who are NOT you but who inhabit some parts of you. Gerry has shown us many sides of his own personality through the variety of different characters he has played and this was his chance to show us the goofy side, and I love that as much as all his other facets. While I may not love a thug (One Two) that thug does make me love Gerry all the more by showing me some of the personality those who really know him get to experience regularly. And I still did find the thug pretty durned sexy! :drool1:

Archie definitely says "One Two" when Gerry's picture pops up on the screen, Fraser Nash is another unknown character, as are many of those who were listed as being sent up by Lenny.

Toby Kebbell was brilliant as Johnny Quid - his is definitely the most multi-dimensional character of the lot and it appears the sequel, if it gets made, will be more focused on Arch and Johnny.

I believe that One Two shows us the goofy and hilariously silly side of Gerry that his friends know. The character may not display Gerry's intelligence but then that's what acting is all about, creating characters who are NOT you but who inhabit some parts of you. Gerry has shown us many sides of his own personality through the variety of different characters he has played and this was his chance to show us the goofy side, and I love that as much as all his other facets. While I may not love a thug (One Two) that thug does make me love Gerry all the more by showing me some of the personality those who really know him get to experience regularly. And I still did find the thug pretty durned sexy! :drool1:

Well said, Susan! And not one who normally gets into the characters, my focus was more on Gerry and his performance and the storyline.

I think I already said this, and I love to repeat myself, but I think this did show how good of an actor Gerry really is. It was different, subtle, funny, and yes, sexy. A different kind of sexy, though. This time, he was just "a guy". A good-looking, bad boy with a good heart (hmmm, where've we heard THAT before?), and a bumbling thug. How could you not fall for a man who robs some guys, forgets to get the keys and asks where reverse is? I found that endearing as well as so funny. He was so confident, and then disocvered what a bonehead he really was, all the while keeping his confidence up. I love that scene.

He continues to amaze me.

I have to add this . . . my new job is slowly finding out about my Gerry fandom. Today I boldly put a pic of G on my desktop on my computer (the one in my second avatar) and was asked, "Ooh, who's that?" by more than one woman in the office. When I explained they responded with "Really? How come he looks so different?" I PROUDLY answered, "That's the beauty and talent of Gerard Butler. He looks different in every role." One of the other teachers said, "That's the mark of a really good actor." I beamed with pride.

I think One Two is another example of Gerry's versatility, and I still think the sex appeal is there . . . just in a more subtle way.

Lisa

You know...I've only seen R&R once so far, and I have to say, at least on the first viewing something struck me as odd about Gerry's performance as One Two, or rather, something struck me as odd about my response to Gerry as One Two. I couldn't put my finger on it while I was watching the film, but after giving it some thought, I think I figured it out!

This is the first role I have seen him in where I was NOT attracted to him in any way. At first I thought it was because he was a crook, and I'm not crazy about the idea of him being a thug, but then what about Neil Randall? There were scenes in Shattered where Gerry's physical beauty and screen presence took my breath away.... and Neil was a creep!

One Two is handsome... he wears nice clothes and he's charming in his own way, but for me.... something was missing.

This was really bothering me, until today when I realized that the "missing" element in One Two (at least as I perceived him) was the usual intelligence I see in every single role Gerry plays. There are many times in previous films where even when he is not speaking, you can see the inner working of the character's mind, as Gerry the actor processes the character's thoughts and perhaps the back story. I did not see that at all with One Two, who seems a man acting more on instinct and survival than intelligence, and in fact, most of the time, he is clueless about what is going on.

I realize now that this was Gerry's aim with One Two; to make him a likable enough guy, but a guy who doesn't use his noggin. Gerry's portrayal of that character was very different from any he has ever played before.... and in order to do it, he had to underplay his own intelligence so that One Two could seem genuinely... well, not too smart.

That's why I was not attracted to the character.... and there was not one scene where Gerry took my breath way as he has done in every other film. One two wasn't supposed to take your breath away, he's just a misguided puppy dog who has a good heart but who has no real talent for anything but getting himself and others into trouble.

Anyhow.... this movie is further proof of Gerry's considerable skill and intelligence.... because he makes you believe this character is utterly lacking in both!

Any thoughts?

Swannie

FORGIVE ME SWANNIE. I read an abreviated portion of your original above and responded. I do know better than to think that you did not realize Gerry's total talent in portral of this character, I don't know what I was thinking , so please, totally disregard the previous totally unintellectual response.

YES, Gerry did a magnificient job, as usual, with this character, but unlike you, I realized at the beginning and totally fell in love with One Two just like every other character of Gerry's, as you could see by my previous post. I will say, though, this is the first Gerry movie I have not cried at. If I had

cried this time it would have had to be for Johnny Quid. Wasn't Kable WONDERFUL. He is one truly talented young man. I can't wait for the sequel. Maybe they will let One Two show a little more of his intellectual side, the one they only hinted at in this one. So Sorry again for my previous post. Believe it or not, stupidity does not run in my family, and I will try never again to jump to conclusions.

Sandy

Gerry is NOT both intelligent and a big silly goofball?!? *Kicks dirt*

No, I'll leave your thread alone - just hoped for more than a few glimpses as a friend of his said it was like spending time with the Gerry he knew.

I'll try to jumpstart this thread after the Norwegian premiere 12/5.... :tissues:

I think she was talking about the silly, all nonsense Gerry. I'll bet he is very much like that when he is with friends. I have heard that he is very cool and nutty and hides his intelligence when just out with the gang. He does have to have some time when he isn't on intellect overload, which is probably 98% of his time, and the other 2% he is probably totally zany. What do you think? I've known several people very much like Gerry intellectually, and they were very serious most of the time, but with people they loved and TRUSTED they were INSANELY relaxed and cool.

Yes, I know quite a few myself that are running with all lights on but can be really crazy goofy so that was what I was thinking.. ;)

I do hope you gals don't expect me to fire on all braincells all the time, - there is something called laidback and I hear great things about it... :cunning:

*Adjusts chair in library and puts on some cool music, - ABBA?*

No worries Sandy! I was just trying to clarify my point, given the fact I'm still sorting out my opinions about this movie, and may sound confused.

And hey, when I hang out with my best friends, I act like an idiot! People just getting to know me are often surprised that I'm kind of goofy when I get to know a person well, and not so serene or reserved. BTW, the GALS Vegas con is known for zapping brain cells!

Swannie

You know...I've only seen R&R once so far, and I have to say, at least on the first viewing something struck me as odd about Gerry's performance as One Two, or rather, something struck me as odd about my response to Gerry as One Two. I couldn't put my finger on it while I was watching the film, but after giving it some thought, I think I figured it out!

This is the first role I have seen him in where I was NOT attracted to him in any way. At first I thought it was because he was a crook, and I'm not crazy about the idea of him being a thug, but then what about Neil Randall? There were scenes in Shattered where Gerry's physical beauty and screen presence took my breath away.... and Neil was a creep!

One Two is handsome... he wears nice clothes and he's charming in his own way, but for me.... something was missing.

This was really bothering me, until today when I realized that the "missing" element in One Two (at least as I perceived him) was the usual intelligence I see in every single role Gerry plays. There are many times in previous films where even when he is not speaking, you can see the inner working of the character's mind, as Gerry the actor processes the character's thoughts and perhaps the back story. I did not see that at all with One Two, who seems a man acting more on instinct and survival than intelligence, and in fact, most of the time, he is clueless about what is going on.

Any thoughts?

Swannie

FORGIVE ME SWANNIE. I read an abreviated portion of your original above and responded. I do know better than to think that you did not realize Gerry's total talent in portral of this character, I don't know what I was thinking , so please, totally disregard the previous totally unintellectual response.

YES, Gerry did a magnificient job, as usual, with this character, but unlike you, I realized at the beginning and totally fell in love with One Two just like every other character of Gerry's, as you could see by my previous post. I will say, though, this is the first Gerry movie I have not cried at. If I had

cried this time it would have had to be for Johnny Quid. Wasn't Kable WONDERFUL. He is one truly talented young man. I can't wait for the sequel. Maybe they will let One Two show a little more of his intellectual side, the one they only hinted at in this one. So Sorry again for my previous post. Believe it or not, stupidity does not run in my family, and I will try never again to jump to conclusions.

Sandy

Just saw RNR today and have to say, I loved Gerry in the role! He was the bright spot of the entire movie. Actually, the movie was very funny. The only problem I had with it at times was understanding some of the cockney accents. I have to say, however, that the movie did not change for me my opinion or feelings for Gerry, if anything, it reinforced them. I can remember thinking, "that's my man!". My heart still skips a beat each time I see his face! (Sorry Swannie) I didn't really see Gerry's character as so much a doofus really as I did just a guy looking for the short cuts and just doesn't have the hard core criminal mind and savvy to be sinister or do it right.

My favorite part, however, had to be the dancing scene with Thandy! OMGerry! I'd buy the movie just to watch that scene again! Gerry's got a great sense of rhythm and is really a very good dancer, even if he was attempting to act silly, he's still sexy as all get out, as usual, and funny! I'm not sure whether he was trying to be funny, it didn't matter, it was still hot!

I had forgotten about the "bare" bum scene and when it happened, it took me so by surprise, I let out a yell in the theater. I embarrassed myself, but I don't care, what a cute little arse!

All I can say, is the ending had me laughing the hardest! I guess if this character is most like Gerry in real life, I'd say he'd do most anything for a buddy!

In summary, all things considered, this is why I love Gerard Butler! I haven't seen a character he can't play as an actor and he still oozes so much sex apeal, it should be illegal! If he played a tree, he'd be the sexiest tree in the forest! He's pairfect!

D

Gerry as One Two made me laugh throughout the entire movie! He totally did it for me!! It is a very different role than he has played in the past but he had me...hook, line and sinker! :wuv:

I'm glad we've cleared up the Fraser Nash thing as I was convinced it was not him but because it was Scottish sounding I can understand why some were putting 2+2 and getting 5.

Moira aka Framolamdu aka Mo aka Super Mo to her good buds :funnyup:

Gerry's performance as One Two was not meant to be endearing, I wasn't attracted to his character particularly either although my heart raced a little faster when he was dancing though but I came out of the theatre really appreciating Gerry's acting ability. I love seeing Gerry play such diverse roles because it gives us so many mixed emotions about the character's he plays. That's what so great about Gerry, he picks roles that are very dissimilar, every movie is a journey with him.

I just found Gerry's One/Two spot on and admired him for his performance. I especially loved the "robbery" scene. Gerry in his security guard uniform, the cadence of his Glasgow accent, and his bumbling take charge attitude. That scene to me was priceless as well as many others. Thinking about it Gerry acted in many scenarios through out the film, One Two had a wide range of emotions. I focused in the "robbery" scene because Gerry fit the part so well, a well built, cordial, matter of fact business as usual attitude with a less than stella IQ. I am glad you brought up not seeing his intelligence, what a compliment, it was'nt to be seen. Gerry grew up working class but his family had pride. Most of his mates in Glasgow/Paisley did not have Gerry's intelligence but he lived and played beside them for years. There was plenty of raw material for Gerry to work off of to portray, One/Two. Sp ck gave me an OK...

Just scanned posts and noticed the shift to be turned on by One/Two. Can understand that a criminal could be a turn off. Can't recall all of the scenes put when One/Two had sex on his mind he was pretty serious, museum/nice shoes comes to mind a cool cat. Lets face it the guy had potential but would he want to change. He seemed pretty happy, comfortable in his chosen line of work. He could deffinately fit the roll of boy/toy or is it toy/boy, he had a lot of Gerry's oft used phrase "passion" if mindless. Many mentioned Gerry at the completion of the "sex scene" as being over the top sexy. He appeared to me to be feverish, listless and thankful the scene was over. He was very sick the day they shot that scene. One/Two could come in handy for a Tuesday afternoon matinee but of course a vodka martini could help the resistenace to his lack of gray matter. The rest of him was "choice". The character was shall we call "common" but not a complete turn off. In this case I think it was mind over matter.

I'm still waiting for the DVD to come out cause I wasn't able to see it in my small town theater! Scuse me....there was a bare butt scene???? *THUD* :cunning:

:wave: Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

I'm still waiting for the DVD to come out cause I wasn't able to see it in my small town theater! Scuse me....there was a bare butt scene???? *THUD* :cunning:

:wave: Frannie

Yes, Frannie, there was such a scene, and such a bare butt it was! :pant: I believe RNR comes out around January 27, if I recall.

D :wave:

I did not care for the Johhny Quid character. It might be a true depiction of the London drug life but I still found it over acted, theactrical and visually ulgy. In my eyes One Two was really real.

I did not care for the Johhny Quid character. It might be a true depiction of the London drug life but I still found it over acted, theactrical and visually ulgy. In my eyes One Two was really real.

* spoilers - cause I know Frannie hasn't seen it!!

I have to beg to differ and comment. I thought Toby Kebbell did the absolute best acting job in the whole movie (Gerry notwithstanding). In my opinion, he wasn't over acting but portrayed a larger than life character. If anything, I think they played the drugs down low, with the exception of the scene of him smoking crack (which, by the way, I still cannot watch). He was funny and endearing, which made you cheer for him at the end when he cleaned up.

Honestly, yes it was an ensamble cast, but to me Toby Kebbell stood out as probably the best cast and the best acted.

Lisa

I hope this is the right place to add my 2 cents. If not I'm terribly sorry.

I would love to own RnR as weird and random as I personally thought it was. I decided to do a 2 week free trial through Netflix so I can get caught up on Gerry movies.

I was watching it and began to fall asleep. Fear not, I am a bit under the weather so I paused it, cat napped and then turned it back on.

They never showed the painting! It drove me nuts. I loved the end and the whole thing, anything really that went on between Handsome Bob, One Two, and Mumbles. The latter name for some reason reminds me of a gangster from that movie with what's his name who's married to Annette Bening and he...Ok train of thought back on...Mumbles sounded like a character name from the movie Dick Tracy.

It wasn't the best, didn't like the dance scene One Two did with Thandie Newton's character.

Very much a random movie.

I, personally got frustrated because it reminded me of being in college when I took Art of the Cinema to cover an English class. We had to watch a movie in class and then go home and pick it apart on paper and sometimes in a class discussion. That class alone drove me batty after it was over because I would tear apart movies (not just the plot, the lighting the camera usage, etc). So I felt like I was back in college again.

It wasn't that bad. I didn't like the Russians speaking in their native tongue because the words were soooooo tiny it was hard to read them even on a fairly decent sized TV screen.

I had remembered someone in a thread somewhere mentioning they couldn't understand what most of the characters were saying so I left on the subtitles just in case.

It wasn't that bad at all.

I think Gerry did a wonderful job. :music: