Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
becozy

11/10 - Diana Gabaldon OUTLANDER movie update Gerard Butler

Let's see - Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise are both older than Gerry, and they are both substantially shorter than Gerry (and thus much shorter than Jamie). There aren't many young actors who fit the bill physically. I'll throw out a suggestion, though he is the wrong nationality, but at least would have the Viking roots that many Scots have as well - Alexander Skarsgard (son of Stellan) who is currently appearing as the vampire Eric in True Blood. He is 32, but I think he could still play the younger Jamie if he can do a decent Scottish accent. A blonde, not redhead, but hair dye is a wonderful invention. He isn't a big name yet, though True Blood is getting him some pretty good "exposure" (in more ways than name recognition)!

Cast someone like Alan Rickman as Lord Randall - Alan can easily look older than Gerry and Gerry is good at playing the straight love interest of a man with Lord Randalls proclivities.

Shelley

I just got the chills thinking of Alan Rickman as Lord Randall!!! He always gives me the creeps in anything he does but as that awful man....yikes! That part of the story was so painful, my heart broke for Jamie during that time period.

Who knows who will be cast in what role, when the film finally gets made! It's sure fun picking out the actors WE would choose to play those roles!!

A while back, someone over on dot net put together a beautiful video of who she thought should play the major parts in an Outlander film. I've forgotten who made it but the music she used was beautiful and her choices were VERRA good!!

JUDE

Gerard Butler a.k.a. Jamie Fraser!! :wuv:

Edited to add: Just searched on U-tube and found the video I mentioned. Hope the link works! I NEVER do this correctly!! The video was made by Beanee73 in October '06

If link doesn't work, go to U-tube and enter Outlander casting and it will come up along with many others.

Edited by JUDE

Gerry will fit in the movie somewhere! He is 6'2" with a wonderful face & build & Scottish! Glasgow is in the lowlands but who cares! Gerry was meant to play in this movie! He definitely couldn't play a 22 year old virgin! Too much life flowing off of him!

Just because he is Scottish doesn't mean that he has a chance in a movie about Scotland! This is Hollywood, remember? Mel Gibson played one of the greatest Scottish heroes and the last time I looked Mel wasn't Scottish. I have great fear that Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt may be the next Jamie Fraser. :(
You could be right! I did like Mel Gibson in Braveheart. I just hope if Gerry wants to do the movie that Hollywood lets him!

Let's just get back to Sir Dougal Mac, shall we?

Dark russet hair, tall, athletic, green eyes, sexy as heck, a real Highlander(even if Ger isn't) and a ladies' man as well? Could Gerry fill his shoes? YES !!

GERRY FOR DOUGAL ! And Right Now !

Gerry is lowlander with the passion and lust of any highlander and then some. A virgin, now that might put him out of the running. When Gerry was 22 he was earning a law degree from the lowland law school called Glasgow University.

Absolutely adore these books, I have read the series several times and I have made fan vids with Gerry cast as Jamie, to me he is Jamie, its his face I see when I read them, he is Scottish, he has the presence and sense of humour to be Jamie, it takes a Scot to play a Scot however I have to agree with Diana Gerry is past playing the younger Jamie. What I think they could do is seeing as how they are going to make two-two and half hour movies that Gerry to be cast as the older Jamie. Jamie is only young in the first two books, in the latter stories he is in his mid forties, perfect for Gerry! But please no, not Kiera Knightly as Claire, as for Black Jack Randall/Frank I think Jason Isaacs fits the bill, think of his character he played in The Patriot with Mel.

I refuse to even think of ANYONE else playing the role of Jamie!!!!!! :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum: NO NO NO! And NO KK as Claire either! She is supposed to be a pretty tough and voluptuous woman! I see Kate Winslet doing a pairfect Claire! I just know that they can make Gerry look younger with make-up and such ....virginal?....hehehehehehehe...that's another story! :kisswink:

:lalala: Frannie

As others have said though Jamie was technically a virgin I don't think there was a single "virginal" aspect to him physically or emotionally. It certainly isn't necessary for the actor who plays him to actually be a virgin or they will probably not find anyone who fits the bill.

I didn't know of Gerry yet when I read the books, so he wasn't "my Jamie" but since finding him I have always seen him as the older Jamie, not necessarily as the younger.

I think our problem is that we see the "young" Gerry as the young Jamie. Unfortunately,

Gerry can't fit the profile of the young Jamie. Personally, I hope they come up with an

unkown who is terrifically talented to do the role. As for Claire--Lena Heady fits the bill

for me--had not thougth of her until now, but I think she would be good in the part.

But its just MHO.

Judy

All I can say is that there is no way they can compact OUTLANDER into a 2-2.5 hour movie without leaving out 60% of the story.

Unless... they turned it into a "franchise" of sorts. This would also allow different actors to play Jamie at different ages... :hmm:

That sounds like the best plan I've heard yet, Gspot. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read the Outlander series. Guess with all this hoopla I'll have to break down and get them and start, huh?

from: http://voyagesoftheartemis.blogspot.com/20...ews-update.html

MOVIE NEWS UPDATE

I've been getting a number of enquiries, since press releases have started appearing about the movie production of OUTLANDER—excited folk asking "Is it true?" "When?" and (I hope you'll pardon a brief roll of the eyes here), "Who would you cast?" (I couldn't begin to guess how many thousands of times I've been asked that over the last twenty years.)

It's very early days as yet, but I'll answer what I can.

Yes, Essential Productions is developing OUTLANDER as a "major motion picture." (What that means is that they want to make a two-to-two-and-a-half hour feature film.)

And yes, Randall Wallace (the talented gentleman who wrote both BRAVEHEART and PEARL HARBOR—hey, ancient Scots and WWII, how about that?) is writing the script.

No, I have absolutely nothing to say about the casting of the movie. The production people do occasionally ask me what I think of this or that person, but this is simple politeness on their part.

No, I have no control whatever regarding the script.

No, I really don't want to have anything personal to do with the development of the movie.

Why not? Well, two major reasons (putting aside the fact that producers seldom want the original writer sticking his or her oar in and causing trouble):

1. I have books to write and a family to be with. I can't be hopping planes every other week or dropping everything else at a moment's notice to do script adjustments. (I do know that all movie scripts go through many (many, many) iterations, rewrites, etc. in the process of development and filming.) That kind of thing eats your time and sucks your soul, and to no good end.

2. For nearly twenty years now, people have been saying to me, "Oh! I'm dying to see the movie of your books! But I want it to be just like it is in the book!" To which the only possible reply is, "Yeah? Which forty pages do you want to see?"

Obviously, a book of the size and complexity of OUTLANDER won't fit into a two-hour movie. But it might be possible for a good movie based on the book to exist.

Adaptations can be either good or bad—they're seldom indifferent—but a skilful adaptation is just as much a feat of skill as is writing an original book or script.

Yes, I could adapt the book myself. With the net result that even if a) no one then messed with the script (and they would; that's how film works), and b) the end result was wonderful (odds of about 900:1)—ten million people would still email me about, "But how could you leave out that scene?" Or "But why did you change this character?" Or "But you left out my favorite line in the whole book!"

I'd really rather write a new novel.

Now, do bear in mind a couple of things here:

1. Essential Productions have an option on the book. This means that they paid us a modest amount of money and we gave them a span of time, in which they can do anything they want to, in order to put together the necessary financing and logistics to make a movie (that includes hiring a scriptwriter).

We (my agents and I) get a lot of option requests. We decided to grant Essential Productions an option because we like them, we think they understand the book and its central characters, and insofar as such a thing is possible, we trust them to do their best to make it a great movie.

But it is an option.

2. Not all movies that are optioned actually get made. Even movies that have excellent scripts, A-list directors and recognizable stars don't always get made. Naturally, we hope this one will, because we do like the EP people and think that of all the producers who've approached us about the film rights, they have the best chance of succeeding in making a great movie.

But we'll all have to wait and see what happens next.

And that's all I can tell you.

Le meas,

--Diana

P.S. Well, I can also tell you that a) yes, Gerard Butler is a fine-looking specimen of Scottish manhood, even if he is a Lowlander, but b) I think he might have difficulty playing a 22-year-old virgin; c) Keira Knightley would probably make an excellent Claire (she has the accent and the capacity for sarcasm), if she gained forty pounds, but d) James McAvoy is probably a wonderful actor, but he's only 5'7", for heaven's sake. (Mind, none of the production people has mentioned any of these actors to me as serious casting prospects, either.) Posted by Diana Gabaldon at 1:07 AM

Note:

This is already being discussed in a thread that was started previously here.

Article announcing Essential Prodctions/Oultlander deal may be read at Variety here.

I started reading "Outlander" yesterday. Haven't gotten too far, but from what I am gleening about the book, there are a lot of "details" that she seems to add to the story that could be eliminated in converting it to a screen adaptation. When you are writing a story it's much different than telling one visually. And so far, I don't see the significance of Jamie's character being so young....yet! I haven't gotten very far to understand the significance of him even being a "virgin", (but I can imagine it) however, there should be ways to work around that even. There could at least be a significant part in it for Gerry, albeit not the romanitc lead. Got to put that beautiful Scottish brogue to good use, eh?

D

I hope with all of my strength that Keira Knightley does NOT get cast as Claire in this movie. As Geleis (or however you spell her name) - yes!

Gerry as Jamie - I will see this forever!!

I'm not too far in to the book but I couldn't help hearing the orchestration, "Standing Stone" by Paul McCartney in my head. When "Outlander" becomes a motion picture, I think they should use this beautiful music as the background theme. It is so haunting and so fits the story. It's pairfect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxNJC5b0JAA

D

No Gerry can't play the young Jamie but he can then later on I still have not figured out who can play Claire except Sela Ward or Catherine Zeta Jones. I love the books I have them all and can't wait for the next one. Love RainaSNow

Interesting!

I never knew there was any intention of doing an Outlander movie. Regardless of who gets what part, it should be an exciting film. I doubt it will be widely received by anyone that is not familiar with the book, unless they use A list celebrities.