Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Jennifer St. Giles

Music of the Night!!

Okay just have to do this thread on GALS!

With Music of the Night. What do you see, feel, and hear about Gerry's Soul in that Song!!!! Would love to hear your thoughts!

The man touched my soul with that song! To me it is like and entire romance novel in one song! EVery bit of passion, heart, and love bled through to me! What about you?

What IS it about MOTN?

I love PONR too, but MOTN is absolutely fabulous for a billion different reasons. Firstly, you can see Gerry himself coming through a bit more in that song. You can see his vulnerability, his yearning for love. You can see the Phantom's obsession, but at the same time absolute trust and abandon. It's like when you're in love, and you are at the scary part when you just realize it. When you are scared to let down all of your guards, but know that it has to be done. You can see a sensuality, a tenderness. His voice seems controlled, but the raw emotion that pours through him just sort of takes over and you find yourself watching and believing, feeling exactly what he is feeling. Part of the genius of the song is ALW's music composition, and the lyrics guy (I forget his name...gees!).

It's like you just can't help but to take his advice and "abandon your defenses" and you let yourself be taken into the fantasy. It is intimate, yet exhilarating, freeing somehow. Even though you know the Phantom is playing on Christine's Daddy issues (if you haven't read Phantom in 15 minutes, you absolutely should!) and her naievete, he makes her feel loved, special, safe, desired. The song is basically a plea for his love to be returned. He's putting his whole soul out there in front of her because he knows no other way. SO much better than the games most people play. Innocent, yet provocative...

Ok, so now I'm rambling....dang MOTN has me all worked up!:boner:

Jen

You can definately feel the passion and the longing in this song. His presence is so seductive and so hypnotic. Gerry really understood the character and in turn made us understand him too.

The song didn't touch my soul as deeply as others, but it did provoke more earthly feelings. :D

Music of the Night...I could watch Gerry's performance all day long. His body language and voice is just mesmerizing. The moment I saw that scene I thought it was the most overpowering, sexy and perfect scene ever. He was truly wonderful. The Phantom was pleading and telling Christine that this could be your life and you would love being with me. It was his plea for love from Christine. He was totally exposing himself to her. Wow! I cannot take my eyes off of Gerry when he is singing Music of the Night. And that voice did I say that already? I am getting giddy just thinking about it. :gg2:

Ok MOTN has been an inspiration to me since I the stage show! The words and the passion! OMG!!! "Close your eyes and surrender to your darkest dreams, purge your thoughts of the life you knew before." Close your eyes and let your spirit start to soar!!" I love those words It makes me feel like All of my dreams are there when I close my eyes! "Let your soul take you where you long to be!!" I feel so free and taken away from reality when I listen to this song!!! Gerry, to me just makes the song all that more intense and I feel like when he is singing this song, that for just that 5minutes and 42 seconds that you are seeing inside HIS soul and he is drawing you in!! :wink:

OK. Those are my true thoughts. I have never spoken this to a soul, I do not think that anyone that I know would understand! I feel that I can share it with you GALS because, you all a very inspired bunch! I love each and every one of you and feel Like we have been friends for YEARS!! Even though I have never met you! That is what I love about being here!!!

Love to you ALL!!

Tiffany

Edited by phantomslover

Music of the Night is in my opinion one of the most beautiful songs ever written. I have always loved it, also in the Michael Crawford version.

But when I heard and saw Gerry singing it for the first time it was like hearing it anew. The way he performs it, the song becomes a deeply erotic meaning in my opinion and Gerry puts so much longing, sensuality and passion in it.

I still listen to it several times a week before going to sleep, and it always helps to sooth my nerves. It takes my thoughts away from the troubles of the day and I let myself fall into the Music of the Night and of course into Gerry's voice.

Gerry's version of MOTN is infinitely different from any I heard before. It is so intimate, so sensual and even overtly sexual that it truly drew me me in. For me in hearing the song, watching the scene, over and over and over (I listen to it and/or watch it FAR more than I do any other part of the movie or soundtrack) Christine is not in the scene because the words, the emotions, the longing are directed at the listener/viewer. THAT is what makes that song hit so deeply to the heart and soul - it is intimately between me and Gerry's Phantom. I imagine that is probably how many woman feel when hearing or seeing it and that is why we are so moved by it.

I cannot improve on any thing that has been said. Everyone has beautifully expressed their feelings and I kept thinking "I feel the same way!" to each comment.

The one phrase that always touches my soul is "touch me, trust me" The way Gerry sings that with yearning and you feel the Phantoms loneliness. He has never had a human being touch him with love. He has never had another person trust him. So sad and yet hopeful at the same time.

I listen to the soundtrack nearly every day and I listen to that track at least twice each time. I never ever get tired of it.

Carrie

Edited by Carimia

I listen to MOTN and PONR just about every single day and never get tired of them. I take the city bus to work everyday, so I drown out the boredom with Gerry singing sweetly in my mind. LOVE IT!

Oh yes - I agree with each and every one of you.

So much of what we all see in Music of the Night is the same. But, I think each of us see something of ourselves reflected in the Phantom. We see our hoped for real or potential male relationships.

I find there is a very plaintive quality to GB's voice in MOTN. Yes, it is sexy, sensual, earthy. But, he expresses such purity of heart and soul - of the need to belong with and to this ONE woman. What an exhilarating feeling that must be - to be so needed and wanted by such a pure and innocent - and, yes, tortured soul. It's the stuff dreams are made of.

I am new to this site and love it already.

Sorry to say, I didnt know who Gerard

Butler was until I saw POTO.

All I could say was OMG!! Who is this guy who

just captured my heart????

Its actually the first time I saw POTO as well.

I fell in love with the music. But especially with

Music Of The Night.

He sings with such emotion and heartache.

I listen to the soundtrack daily and that song

several times a day.

The critics need to get over it. Andrew Lloyd Webber

picked the right man for the role.

I will be a fan forever.

Debbie

I love this song, this performance, for all the reasons you've sited. It is the most sensual, vulnerable, sexy, heart rending, exhilirating version of ANY song I ever hope to hear. It is magnificent and those who don't feel it are listening with their feet.

Guest Beanie

>Sighhhhhhhh< :red:

I loved the play version, and listened to Crawfords soundtrack obsessively.

Bought the movie sight unseen when it came out on DVD and found myself thinking, "OK, I just hope this guy doesn't totally suck". (yeah, go ahead, laugh) Popped the DVD in and couldn't bring myself to actually just concentrate on watching it, sooo afraid I'd be disappointed -- I did other things while watching/listening to it.

I have to say, within the first verse of MOTN, I just had to stare at the screen - I was like, OMG! I felt like he was singing to me -- very strange out of body experience ensued, followed by the thought "who the heck IS this guy?" It was like every sweet romantic fantasy you were ever afraid to follow being laid at your feet to look at, by a man who longed to give it all to you -- just please don't hurt him! Augh! Needless to say, I sat down and watched the rest of the movie with no other distractions....

:winkkiss:

I just love MOTN. The wat he sings it , makes my heart cry. It is so emotional and he brings it with that passion.

It really is a beautiful song and I feel like Gerry really captured the pain in his voice, the phantom's voice, very well indeed, and that's what he set out to do so he should be proud of that. I feel mystified and electrified and in awe and I could not stop looking at him the first time I heard that song and that first time it was not just because he was hot, he has a commanding stage prescence you just have to see him....

What do i see in gerry?

Well.. its a strange wonderfull feeling i get when i see and tlak about gerry. He is an amazing man. With drop dead good looks. I'm not going to not mention that. He is DEAD sexy. But there is something about his eyes, that just draws you in. His eyes are like the entrance to his soul, and his smile is just beautiful! I mean, his smile is just... beautiful!! I love it. So when you mix the two of them together, it just makes magic.

But what really sold me.. what really took my breath away. Was his personality. Any1 who can make me laugh, and laugh at himself is a.. well amazing man!

But.. what takes the cake is that man's scottish accent! *drools* taht is what really makes me just wanna run up and snog him. When he rolls his "r" and does taht little scottish man, it makes me want to do a highland dance! *tehehe*

Thats the way i feel :)

This song fills me with so much emotion, I see a heart so much in need of love, of yearning that I long to fill that heart. The Phantom promises so much, and gives so freely and he wants to share himself with Christine and in the end he is denied. I see this in MOTN, I guess I'm such a romantic fool. It has such promise and hope in it, both the song and Gerry's voice, it just moves me so much. sigh*

Stacey

The man's voice soothes me.

I never get tired of hearing him sing.

The thing about MOTN - I feel as if he is singing it to me.

His voice just has a way of seeking out the soul of a woman

and warm it with his own.

I can't go on because just thinking about it makes my mind melt..

His voice just has a way of seeking out the soul of a woman

and warm it with his own.

What an excellent way to put it Bethy!!

I know exactly what you mean. Michaela had a doctor's appointment this morning, and I was completely furious with my husband when I left. For the first time ever Gerry's voice wasn't able to soothe me completely, but I did feel somewhat better when I got there. I played MOTN full blast all the way there and home again, and I was able to relax enough to do more than pace with steam coming from my ears all day.

Normally, if I'm stressed, all I have to do is put in MOTN, and things just melt away...

Im going to be repeating what everyone else said but here goes:

The first time I saw POTO I was trembling with excitement from the very beggining of the movie. When MOTN came on I think I hit boiling point. From the very first word I was taken. Every single word was filled with soul and passion and you could tell he truley meant each and every one of them. I felt entranced and even beleive for a minute that he WAS the phantom, not just an actor with a costume and a fake mask. It was so emotionally charged and Gerry put so much character into it. I also beleived that he brought all his life experience and let it loose while singing this song. I feel hypnotised when I am listening and I feel like nothing could ever be wrong with my life. When I listen to him I feel safe and protected. I feel the love he has for Christine. Whenever he says "close your eyes and surrender to your darkest dreams" I actually DO close my eyes and let the music just take me over.

I listen to it on bus trips as well. I sit there and shut my eyes and dream.

I know Im probably sounding corny, but this is what made me truely love Gerry as a preformer and led me to here. And it was when I joined his fan clubs that I fell in love with him as a person.

Felt the same way! It was like he was singing only to me!With those piercing green eyes that put me under a spell! When my mom came in she was like ''what the?'' and ofcourse my older sister is like ''oooohh Gerard Butler he is so dreamy!'' and I'm like ''uh huh'' He pierces a deep cut in my heart and Always will. Gerry has a special place in my heart when he sings MOTN. And even now he dose! MOTN wil be the song of the soul to me. ::D:

:gerryholic:

:gerrytacular:

:hugsandsnogs:

:thud:

Just found this thread and had to respond. I had seen the play in Wash DC a number of years ago and wasn't quite captured with it. I didn't understand the story and so didn't "get" the words. But one day, I innocently rented POTO just to have something to watch. My life has never been the same since. Since then, I've listened and/or watched it dozens of times. And I agree with everything everyone has said on this thread. The man is magical. The song MOTN is emotionally wrenching. It's a mix of innocence, love, imploring, sexuality, eroticism, desperation. I think if I were Christine, I would have dragged his butt to that bed before the song was even over! :cunning:

I listen to MOTN and PONR over and over and over in my car. Just listening to Gerry sing those gives me a :gerrygasm: every time!