Gerard Butler GALS

have a question of the Phantom's Voice

nataline

Okay, I was watching the POTO film yesterday, and I noticed that the first time that the Phantom speaks, he speaks like with an American accent. It's the scene after Christine has torn off his mask. And the second time that he speaks, it sounds like more of Gerry's natural accent. Did anyone else notice this at all? This is the first time that I really noticed it myself.

Are you talking about when he flies in to a rage after she takes off his mask? I believe he is singing as he is "cursing" at her and accents can be obscured when sung. That's the only answer I can give you. I've seen that movie quite a bit but all I can remember is him flying in to a rage and yelling at her in song, of course.

D

Hi Nataline! :welcome:

What I hear is a French/European accent, especially when he says, "Come, we must return. Those two fools who run my theater will be missing you." And when he bellows, "Did I not instruct that Box 5 be . . . " from the balcony. I don't hear an American accent at all, sweetie. Maybe cause I've seen it a million times. :lol: But honestly, I don't hear anything American.

:wuv: I have to say that there's nothing like seeing it on the big screen! I hope more GALS can come to Phantom Pheast next year!

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

To me his spoken lines sound more British, but not Scottish or American. There is a little of the rolling "r" when he yells at Christine "you little prying Pandora" after she removes the mask, but the later line "Come we must return..." sounds quite British (and much deeper than his usual speaking voice, likewise later during Il Mutto when he says of Carlotta "perhaps it is you who are the toad".

However when he does PONR (which is the first scene Gerry actually filmed) the way he sings certain words (like "what raging fires...") there is a lot of the Scottish rolling "r" and I just love that. That isn't evident in later songs and in fact when he is singing "Phantom of the Opera" as he leads Chrsitine to the lair he surpresses his "r" so much that when he sings "world" it sound almost like the "r" is gone altogether - like "wahld". I've noticed in other films that he has difficulty surpressing his natural accent when saying "world" - notice there are 2 times in The Game of Their Lives when he says "warrrld" like his true Scotself even though he is supposed to be sounding American in that film. It always makes me smile when he can't surpress that accent, and when he is allowed to let it run free like as Alex Rover or One Two I'm just in heaven!!

Just wanted to say that Gerry's rolling of the Rrrrrrrs in POTO is not due his Scottish accent. All singers who take classical voice lessons are trained to roll their r's.... as many opera singers are Italian. If you listen to La Carlotta, you will hear that she rolls her r's in an exaggerated fashion. I am certain that whoever trained Gerry for POTO encouraged him to roll his r's so that it would sound more operatic.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Yes, Swannie, pro classical singers are trained, rigidly, to roll rs, and then when singing with orchestral groups you are trained to "banish" the rs. So, I'm sure you are correct, Gerry had a trainer and that person most probably taught him to roll the r. It is evident in all the supposedly classical numbers in Phantom.

Susan, I don't hear the American either, anywhere. He said it was supposed to be British,"God only knows what accent it was" on The View interview. I could surely hear the British, but heard no American.

I love that the Scots roll the r also. His early interview showed that dominate r, except in words like water, he leaves it out completely. Uses it in river, and pairfect, etc., but leaves it out of water, comes out "wa_er". Love to hear him talk. I could make a career out of it, without pay, I might add.

Sandy

Swannie - it matters not to me whether those rolling "r's" in PONR are from coaching or his native brogue, they are sexy as all get out. I would think it takes him more practice to NOT roll them! But interesting to know that is what classical operatic training teaches. As for Carlotta, hers is so intentionally exaggerated (like when she sings "would you not rrrrrather have your prrrrrecious little ingenue?" that it's hard to use that as a point of comparison. Hers comes off as funny while his comes off as oh-so-sexy (but then the words he is singing are intended to have that effect regardless of how they are sung - his pronunciation just makes the impact even more immediate)!! But I can see where the intent was probably to make it sound more operatic, while still sung with his more rock and roll voice. Yummmmm....

Oh Sandy, you bring up my second favorite letter in the Scottish brogue - the "t" which gets stuck at the back of the throat instead of making it to the tip of the tongue. In Dear Frankie when he says "hot" that's exactly what I become! See I could just sit around in a haze all the time listening to Gerry say the words "hot" and "world" - and maybe throw in a couple of my other favorites like "twins" and "greased" and "great"..... I think I just slid head first into the gutter!!

Yes! Susan, Gerry saying "grrreeeased" in the car in RnR is one of my new favorite things in the whole wide "worrrld". Just saw it again yesterday and I was counting the minutes to that moment. Eek! Love it, love it, love it! :yay:

Wow, alot of great responses, I also have watched Dear Frankie and love his accent in that one too. POTO is still my favourite Gerry movie, and you can feel his pain at the end when Christine and Raoul are paddling away in the boat. I also have the soundtrack and like listening to him sing Music of the Night.

natalie :)

POTO is my favorite Gerry movie, too, and I have now seen several of his movies (Dracula 2000, Timeline, Tomb Raider, Butterfly on a Wheel or Shattered, Dear Frankie, 300). Gerry was truly an emotional Phantom. He voice was angry, sad, desperate, insane, and beautiful depending on what was going on at the time. I admire Gerry for not being afraid of making his voice imperfect at times in order to get across to the audience what his character was feeling. I admire Gerry for being a different Phantom than what a lot of people was use to hearing. His “Music of the Night” is my favorite song, too. I can listen to it over and over again, both the beauty and the saddening struggle in his voice and in his eyes. Also, his “Music of the Night” had me thinking he could tell me to do bodily harm to someone else, and he could make it sound beautiful. He truly had an emotional voice, and those eyes of his told the Phantom’s story as well.