Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
AimeeMarie

Writing Contest

-- Publishers Weekly, 11/13/2008 8:14:00 AM

Amazon and Penguin will sponsor a second annual Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. The competition will launch on February 2, 2009. Between then and February 8, writers with an unpublished English-language novel manuscript can submit their work at www.amazon.com/abna. As they did last year, PWBill Loehfelm with the grand prize, from a pool of 5,000 entrants. This year, up to 10,000 submissions will be accepted. Putnam published Loehfelm's novel, Fresh Kills, in August 2008. reviewers will participate in the review process.

The winner of the contest will be announced on May 22, 2009, and will receive a publishing contract with Penguin, which includes a $25,000 advance.

ooops sorry my bad! I feel dumb now

I will try that link again but it wasnt working

thanks 4 answering :)

update your new link works thanks !

Edited by Guest

I was so excited about this contest.... until I read who is admissible to it... Everyone in Canada, except the residents of the province of Quebec! WHY GOD WHY???????????????? :tantrum:

awww sorry that sounds dumb , why would they exclude a city like that?

they should announce these things sooner give people some time

I wrote a an entire novel once and when we had the computer serviced the material got lost because of

the disc format or something I lost like 10 Chapters of my work and I thought it was pretty good then I

just gave up ...oh well

I lost inspiration

anyone writing anything?

I wrote a an entire novel once and when we had the computer serviced the material got lost because of

the disc format or something I lost like 10 Chapters of my work and I thought it was pretty good then I

just gave up ...oh well

I lost inspiration

anyone writing anything?

Gosh . . . PG-13?? Hmmm, not so sure mine fits under that criteria and I'm not certain I can finish by the deadline.

Well it sounds like this is now an annual thing. If you don't think you can finish by this year's deadline, why not get a jump on it for next year?

My problem is I have many different things I've started, none finished. The one I'm working on right now I just started in September (Gerry inspired, of course) but there is no way it will be a complete manuscript by that deadline. I will shoot for next years deadline. I'm always starting a new story and then jumping to another one, and depending on what mood I'm in is the one I'll work on. Do any of you other writers have that problem? That way, I never get anything finished. But since I started this last one, I've been pretty much able to stay on it. They say if you just write a page a day for a year, that's a complete novel. So far, I'm up to page 73 and I started September 8. I'm pretty much on schedule it seems now! My main problem is I keep going back and rewriting it, nothing major, just some. I'm my own worst critic though. But I just need to get something finished, start to end. Maybe Gerry has cleared up my A.D.D.! :bonk:

D

just gave up ...oh well

I lost inspiration

anyone writing anything?

Oh no! Don't give up! That could have been retrieved! Obviously you don't "back up". I'll bet you that if you start over, it will all come back to you better than before! I've lost stuff like that and started over and then found the old disk and couldn't believe how close I was in remembering what I had written. Now it wasn't as much as ten chapters, that is alot, but it was a significant amount. I'm sorry that happened to you. The feeling is devasting!

D

just gave up ...oh well

I lost inspiration

anyone writing anything?

Oh no! Don't give up! That could have been retrieved! Obviously you don't "back up". I'll bet you that if you start over, it will all come back to you better than before! I've lost stuff like that and started over and then found the old disk and couldn't believe how close I was in remembering what I had written. Now it wasn't as much as ten chapters, that is alot, but it was a significant amount. I'm sorry that happened to you. The feeling is devasting!

The thing is I did back up on a floppy disc, this was the first family pc and the discs are different now. When the pc got a new motherboard and I went to go pop in the floppy disc it said it couldnt be opened because it was not formatted and if I format I will lose whats on the disc. I was told by someone that there are companies who do data recovery on any disc but the cost could start as low as $500! I still have the discs and not just my novel on it, years and years of poetry stored on other floppy discs as well. They were really good too because I was at a weird place in my life and the emotions came out easier for me I dont know how that works but I cant open up as easily now lol

:doh: I feel dumb for losing them

Maybe Ill get my mojo back... but I think certain feelings or ideas come up at a certain point in time in your life and when you move on with your life those feelings are not quite there anymore, so starting fresh with something new would make sense. Then again sometimes if you walk away from those issues and come back at a later date it might be easier the second time around. Does that make sense?

Well at least you found your old disc thats a good thing :)

D

I have lost some things over the years. I also have most of it on hard copy in boxes. It's not a very effecient way to keep them, but being so computer illiterate, it was only way I could think of to keep them. I have songs and poems I wrote back when I was as young as nine. It's funny about computers, though. They say that if you throw one out that the data is still in there and can be retrieved. That's how personal info is stolen from corporations who just throw out old computers at the curb. It's all in there. The trick is getting it out and thieves sure know how to do it!

D

Hmmmmm might have to think about this. My book should be done in about a month so........ we'll see.

I have lost some things over the years. I also have most of it on hard copy in boxes. It's not a very effecient way to keep them, but being so computer illiterate, it was only way I could think of to keep them. I have songs and poems I wrote back when I was as young as nine. It's funny about computers, though. They say that if you throw one out that the data is still in there and can be retrieved. That's how personal info is stolen from corporations who just throw out old computers at the curb. It's all in there. The trick is getting it out and thieves sure know how to do it!

D

yeah I know, its just those data retrieving companies are so expensive $500 just as a minimum fee

Sorry you lost your stuff as well, it really is frustrating! :tantrum:

I've never had to call the "Geek Squad" yet. I had no idea they were that expensive!

D

I know its crazy, the pc dude gave me the number to a data retrieving service but maybe if I looked harder

someone can do it for less, its not like I'm missing secret C.I.A. documents , just some poetry and a book lol!

Oh if I hurry maybe I can get Wiltons Creek done and enter it. BUt I have to re do so much . and get new ink for my printer. I dont' know if I will make it. Raina SNow